/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get Nintendo games
OR
>Where do I get PS3 games
OR
>Where do I get 3DS games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/pull/3200
ci.appveyor.com/project/kd-11/rpcs3
github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/LICENSE.md
a.pomf.cat/ljnhtk.zip
github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/dee5b447b9433e251e244b9b84df768602ceea07
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

por favor

>What's the deal with Shogi games being a bitch to emulate?
Dunno lol. That is an interestin coincidence.

where do i get the nintendo 3ds games for the best emulator?

Well said. Open source is a joke.

Read the wiki.

kys

hey fucko --
don't piss in my cheerios.

Anyone know why my Xbone controller seems to map l-stick and dpad to the same button? Using Retroarch + mupen64 core. When I try playing Yoshi's Story, hitting up or down on the control stick does what hitting up and down on the dpad does, but both of them work fine otherwise. Is Retroarch just shitty? Am I doing something wrong?

>Is Retroarch just shitty?
Yes
>Am I doing something wrong?
Yes

wats better?

whats the best version of rpcs3?

the newest one on the webpage or is there a better patreon one? playing persona 5 btw.

ur mum

there is no better build, you try one and configure it until you give up

and your mileage varies on specs

github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/pull/3200

>there is no better build
Wrong. The last thing done by kd-11 is almost everytime better than the master builds (even if it come up with some new bugs, it's usually faster).
Go to the discord to keep up with the changes, most recent stuff from kd-11/nekotekina always being discussed and explained in details there (and you can also get quick support to config stuff)

great can my R5 1600 run P5 now

no. amd sucks for emulation.

ci.appveyor.com/project/kd-11/rpcs3

and gaming

Why do phone emulators suck so fucking much? My Galaxy S3 struggled to play Chrono Trigger with snes9x, but can play Strange Journey on DraStic as a solid 100%. I just want to play Tactics Advance and Advance Wars, but the wiki doesn't list any good Android emulators. Any suggestions?

>Why do phone emulators suck so fucking much?
That's open source for ya.. Maybe I should start making closed source emus on android..

I want to put together a PSP set. is the redump one any good? or is it missing many games?

what about the unofficial/discontinued no-intro ones?

Using Beetle PSX. Any idea what's causing this?

using beetle PSX

>Maybe I should start making closed source emus on android.

Don't you have some readme's to edit or the 67th version of your incomplete Nvidia TNT emulator to finish first? Also, don't forget your mummy told you to cleanout the basement first.

The redump PSP set was dropped from the site because the dump guide said to use the M33 firmware for dumping which was found to have a bug making every single image an underdump.

what, still? but they still have a .dat up. it was updated not too long ago.

Dreamcast beetle fucking when?

Never ever user

Is it hidden or something? All I know is at one point the PSP DB was completely fubar.

>Dreamcast beetle
wats that?

yes, it's only accessible to members. the wiki doesn't say anything about it, either.

Having a decently clocked ARM coprocessor for starters.

It's normal here, using everything updated from the last nightly with OpenGL, i'm using the normal Bettle PSX no the Bettle PSX HW.

Question about 3840x480 resolution for PC CRT monitors.
Is there any way to take screenshots with the same aspect ratio as specified in Retroarch config, i.e. how they look on screen, not ultra-stretched?

I legit thought this was a GBA game for a second

You do understand that you can't copyright that kind of behavior in an emulator, right? Project 64 has used 1964 and mupen64 code as reference for a fair number of fixes, and nobody cares. PCSX2 has used Play! as a reference for accurate behavior. This is how emulation is supposed to work.

The difference between mupen64plus and PJ64 is that PJ64's audio emulation and RNG and general timings -- see Majora's Mask, for example -- will be completely buggered for the foreseeable future while mupen64plus is rapidly addressing issues like this. m64p had a LOT of catching up to do, but it is doing so rapidly and also addressing issues that PJ64 has completely ignored, such as correct DMA behavior. The reason why m64p's audio is in such great shape currently is because someone gave a shit and put in the effort. PJ64 needs a similar rewrite, but PJ64 is an emulator where the lead developer runs all his games muted.

Try it in Beetle PSX hardware with texture perspective correction.

bgb vs bsnes-classic with superboy for GameBoy?

Reminder that Byuu is a fat gay hebephile.

SGB is really only worth it if the game has SGB features. And even then some games only have a border, and some games have a GBC mode that looks better.

>with the same aspect ratio as specified in Retroarch config
But that ultrawide stretched is the configured aspect ratio.

Dumb question, but how are the PS2 BIOS last modified 1996?

Some dumpers have the 01/01/1996 as the default date, and some BIOS dumps date back to actually having to use a physical dumper.

Are cheats in yabause broken? I found some Action Replay codes online for Panzer Dragoon Zwei but none seem to work.

Going to travel from tomorrow to sunday, and I don't sleep much when travelling.

I plan on emulating something on my phone, no pad, so I'm pretty much limited to RPGs and slower games.

Any short (10-15h) game you would recommend?

Advance Wars series.

zeldaemu 1.9.1 when?

so I'm to believe an OC'd i5 with its balls to the wall CPU maxed is outdoing an R5 1600 what can't hit 30% usage?

CPU usage isn't indication of performance.
FX8350 rarely hit 100% usage and those are shit, I owned one until two years ago.

shame then since the R7 1700 (non X I believe) seems to be fine with P5

should have gone moar cores

Read the wiki, the RPCS3 article in particular.

>should have gone moar cores

Should have gone non shitty cores*

also known as a house fire :(

non used hardware is wasted hardware.

>m64p's audio is in such great shape currently
Not for me.

>You do understand that you can't copyright that kind of behavior in an emulator, right?
It's not ok to just copy code from various sources with different licenses, while disregarding their license/copright and keeping your own. If anybody can copy code and do whatever they want with it, then licenses are a joke.

>Project 64 has used 1964 and mupen64 code as reference for a fair number of fixes, and nobody cares.
They did care. That's why zilmar had to add m64p devs to the copyright. Yet you claim they don't have to do the same when copying PJ64's code? I don't like these double standards.

I don't care if people copy code. But that's pathetic for them to demand being included in copyright, while refusing to add others to their copyright when copying code..

>such as correct DMA behavior.
DMA for what? Because they just copied PJ64's code recently for PI DMA.

>also addressing issues that PJ64 has completely ignored
It goes both ways.

>PJ64 needs a similar rewrite, but PJ64 is an emulator where the lead developer runs all his games muted.
The whole point of the plugin spec is to let other people do some of the work. It's pointless to have a plugin spec if you wrote all the plugins. Audio is on his todo list btw.

>RNG
How did they fix that?

>licenses are a joke
Unfortunately, this is the case.
Software licenses don't hold any ground in a court for example (unless you copyright said code). They're more suggestions on what to do with the code or what not.

>different licenses
>project64/project64 is licensed under the
GNU General Public License v2.0
>Mupen64Plus-Core is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2
?

I doubt MAME is gpl v2. I did say "sources", meaning plural.

Why should people have to add m64p devs to the copyrights list, but not PJ64's devs or MAME's?

Anyone here has an idea how to fix the IR controls for a xbox 360 controller that's emulating a wii remote . because my right analog stick is acting like a dpad so i cant do precise actions.

I assume you can't get past the Mii Data error in Citra if you don't have a 3DS?

A brain is needed, I don't know if you can dump one user

Nevermind, my intimate knowledge of google allowed me to download the system data from Veeky Forums archives.
Please pardon my retardation.

github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/LICENSE.md
What a coincidence.

Where did you find it?

a.pomf.cat/ljnhtk.zip
Here's the link, lad. It's from a thread from 2016, it's a fucking miracle the link is still alive.

Another retarded, I presume?

Thanks my man, was searching this for years!
Go fuck yourself

What build are u using for good performance?

Mate, I just installed all this shit myself.
I hope my good ol i5-2500K will be able to run Bravely Default and SMT IV.

hell, i'm trying Kirby Robobot and it's slow with my Core i5 4460 3.2ghz.
WTF

het
het!
HET!

Worse emulator ever

That would be PCSX2

>Software licenses don't hold any ground in a court for example (unless you copyright said code).
Pretty sure a lot of devs copyright code though. I hear the FSF doesn't really care all that much either. I just find it sad that open source advocates would disregard the rules.

More reason to go closed source I guess. Don't have to deal with this nonsense.

>coincidence.
indeed. it looks like they changed it back in January.

I'd still like to hear why m64p devs insist for others to add them to copyright list, yet they don't add others to their copyright list.

Emulation on Linux yay or nay? I have AMD GPU. Only interested in popular emulators like PCSX2, retroarch, dolphin, etc.

>Linux+AMD
You're dead for gaming in general user

Why? Ive heard good things about AMD's OpenPRO something driver.

>it looks like they changed it back in January.
github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/dee5b447b9433e251e244b9b84df768602ceea07

Totally.

>MAME 0.172 was released on 30 March 2016.
>From this release onward, MAME is distributed under a GPL-2.0+ license, with the bulk of code being covered under a 3-clause BSD license.

About copyright, try asking on github.

So can anyone tell me why you wouldn't just emulate the PC version of FF9?

>emulate the PC version of FF9
>emulate the PC version
user...

the PC version of FF9 is an emulation

I guess this is the closest to a related thread.
Does anyone know how to make PS2 software emulation on a PS3 (using CFW) not look terrible on an HDTV. I wanted to know if there were any dedicated PS2 emulators aside from Cobra (and Cobra integrated into rebug) that may have better upscalling or forced AA. Using HDMI connection it literally gae me hedaches to try playing my old copy of Persona 4 but there are a few games which don't run well on PCSX2 that I really want to replay (Shadow Hearts is pretty inaccurate)

>the PC version of FF9 is an emulation
Nope

You can't, the PS3 deinterlacing + upscaling is shit on the software emulator
Only way to play PS2 on an HDTV without it looking too shit is either a TV that has good deinterlacing and upscaling or a dedicated upscaler.

You're just pretending now. If you're not going to answer my questions don't reply to me.

No that user, but: stupid question == stupid answer

Figured, I was hoping someone had made a snazzy piece of homebrew for it. would component cables make any difference compared to HDMI?

There is a difference between copying a whole module or whole c/cpp and copying 1-2 lines (or 1-2 characters).

Besides, if the actual copyright holder feels their copyright has been infringed, they should file a GitHub issues, not complain on Reddit and Veeky Forums.

Lastly, I don't think emulator devs should be too hung up about copyright. What happens when Nintendo comes after you for infringing on their copyright? They wrote the code originally. Copyright doesn't just mean "you copied these characters". If you create a function that works the same way, you've violated copyright. I don't think PJ64, or any other emulator should go around saying "I own the copyright to the TLBwrite and PI DMA code". I don't think so.

HLE functions can actually probably get away with that, since they aren't actually properly emulating how the console worked, they are inventing their own way of doing it. But I really don't think you can own the copyright to a DMA copy function, if anyone owns the rights, it's Nintendo

>see Majora's Mask, for example -- will be completely buggered for the foreseeable future
This is the first time I've heard of this issue. Care to explain?

>you asked a stupid question nuh uh

A R5 1600 nor the FX 8350 will never hit the 100% until the emulator you're using implements a competent multithreading support.
Reminder that most emulators uses 1 single core.

No, it's a port.

17:28 I saw loganmc10 posting on 4ch the other day too
17:29 and saying how I rubbed him the wrong way, etc.
17:29 these guys just can’t let things go

Second warning!!!!

>You're just pretending now.
The PC version of FF9 is not emulated, it's an actual port.

so if it's a port why do people need to emulate the psx version of the game itt?

Any way to improve framerate in Beetle PSX? I'd love to play King's Field without throwing up.

>Follow guide on ripping PS3 games to PC via Blu-ray drive
>Drive I have isn't on their list
>Decide fuck it and rip a game
>Rip EX Troopers
>Patch it up as guide states
>Run on emu
>Executes and runs pretty well
>Character models are dark and missing textures but the stage looks exactly like it would on an actual PS3

I'm guessing the last part is on rpcs3's end, right?
Should be good to go ripping the other games I have if that's the case. I'm gonna need larger storage.

Because it's a shit port.