Thoughts on the opel speedster?

Thoughts on the opel speedster?

I used it a lot in Gran Turismo 3. Nine year old me thought it was pretty cool.

Basically a slightly worse Lotus Elise.

With actually a really good engine, especially the 2.2 if you put a supercharger on it.

Didn't the 2.2 already come with a turbo?

didnt know it was in gt3

A remapped speedster would cost you 20k or less. How "worse than the elise" are supercar performances on a budget? There is literally one for sale in my area priced at 25k that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds

The 2.2 is atmospheric, but the 2.0 has a turbo

Nah, there was the 2.2 NA and 2.0 tarbo.
People put supercharger bits from the Ion Redline or Cobalt SS/SC on those 2.2 blocks all the time though.

It handles worse than the Elise. That doesn't mean that it's not a better deal than the Elise, because it's 95% of the handling for 50% of the price.

Not that bad then

And how does it compare to the 986 boxster?

Im thinking about getting one or the other actually. Ive always dreamed of a porsche but the speedster perfs seem crazy

What is the best choixe? Just know both the 986 and the speedster are worth approx. 15k round here

That's a tough question. I don't know a ton about the Speedster but I think you need to drive both.
I would say the Boxster is going to be more expensive to repair, but I don't know if Speedster parts are rare/expensive or not.
Personally I think the Boxster is ugly, and I could care less about badges. The Speedster looks better and probably handles a little better. The Boxster probably has a nicer interior and had the better badge.

Again, I don't know a ton about the Speedster but if you're seriously deciding between buying one or the other, you'd be crazy not to drive both.

More relibable than the same generation Elise

I liked it in Project Gotham Racing

I remember one sitting outside the local opel dealer back when I was younger.

I thought it was cool as hell back then.

Well obviously i want to test drive both! But i wanted to know beforehand what was the general consensus on them and if there was something i should know.

About the badge, yeah it may sucks that the speedster is an opel but that doesnt take away its look and performances. Kind of a sleeper
And i like that stripped out race car feel to the interior, but i definitely wonder if its as comfy as a stock boxster. Sat in my father’s friend’s 987 and it fell pretty hard and tight tho

maintenance may be an issue on every porsche so yeah i should look out on that

timeless design imo

Where are you from? Heard it was pretty uncommon to see one in person at an opel dealership

>Where are you from? Heard it was pretty uncommon to see one in person at an opel dealership
not user, but I sat in one at a dealer 15+years ago, wasn't so uncommon to see one at a dealer (Belgium)
I remember it was very small, perhaps even too small for me, I'm 1m90. It is definitely waaaay less comfortable (but much cooler) than a boxster. The interior is very basic (like an elise)

>Where are you from? Heard it was pretty uncommon to see one in person at an opel dealership

I'm from Norway, on the west coast.
I think the one at the dealership might have been a pre owned one but I'm not sure, it's been many years.

Something else to look into, there are probably tunes or tuners for the Speedster because of that turbo engine. Meaning, with an exhaust, an intake, and a tune, you might get another 30hp+ out of it.
The Porsche, being NA, is about done. You won't be getting much more out of that engine, unless there's something weird going on that I don't know about.

It indeed is small, it’s even lower than a carrera gt and shorter than most hatchbacks
Are the seats really harsh? Im planning on driving it several times a week and i dont want to hate it after every 20kms drive

Yep, im looking at what owners have done before and it seems pretty easy to upgrade it

>Are the seats really harsh?
can't really tell in detail. As I said this was 15+years ago that I sat in one.

>know someone who had one
>he debadged it and instead put an Apple sticker (don't ask, I don't know why either) on the back where the Opel logo used to be
>people kept asking him NON STOP where he got this Apple car

its a pretty cool car.

NO problemo

Keked rly hard

this fucking triggers me

>The Porsche, being NA, is about done. You won't be getting much more out of that engine, unless there's something weird going on that I don't know about.
Speedsters are in a similar price range as a 986 S with the 3.2, which was quite detuned so it wouldn't get too close to the base 3.4 911. Intake manifold, exhaust and a tune can get you some pretty decent gains on that one in particular.

The 2.7 and 2.5 though, yeah. They make decent power for their displacement (200hp and 230hp respectively).

>PGR.
My basketball accomplice.

In Metropolis Street Racer, it was the best one to chuck around London.

Actually really interested in this since Ameriland never got these. Is there a booming kit-car market using Speedsters as the base? What's the enthusiast crowd like?

>be me, 7 yrs old
>parents were looking for a new car
>local opel dealership has a yellow speedster
>parents looking at omegas
>climb into speedster and play racedriver
>fuckyes.png
>did that almost weekly for like a month or so
>dad decides to buy yuge omega
>"but only if i can take my son for a spin in the yellow speedster"
>sales guy aggrees
>schedule test drive for next weekend
>fast fwd to nextweekend
>parents go pick up omega
>already have a huge hard on for speedster drive
>see speedster sitting in the parking lot
>see bald guy driving off in it
>wtf
>they sold the thing 2 days ago
>cry
I should prolly get one...

Well not in france

You can find speedsters from 10k to 20k in great condition, but you cant find an LHD boxster s in that price range
That makes the boxster even less interesting

Dont know at all, sry :(

im sorry user :(

Huh, you can find a decent Boxster S for ~15k where I live.

but i cant

unfortunately thats the price for a decent lhd 2.5. I precise lhd since 1/4 of the market is made of uk imports

THe 2.5 still looks fun tho.

Just stating my reasoning behind my post, it sucks that you can't find them for under 20k or something.

There's also the obvious MR2 ZZW30, which you can basically turn into a cheaper Elise with a 2ZZ/6-speed swap.

Sorry i realised that as soon as i posted, hence my second post

How is the mr2 reliability? And what about e85 compatibily? That would definitely be a cheaper alternative

The stock drivetrain has only one real flaw, the stock precats. They break down over time and can send small fragments into the cylinders, which fuck up the piston rings and cylinder walls, leading to lost compression and oil burning. 2ZZ swap solves this, as does gutting the precats.

Also watch for rust.

>More relibable
This is an understatement. Speeedsters and Elises were built on the same production line but the Speedster went through Opel's own QC. Rumours at the time were a 70% failure rate on the Opel badged cars.

Source for this?

That's one of the coolest ways to call a car naturally aspirated.

>Full retard.
That 2.0 tarboo will go easily to + 80 bhp. Enough turbine's for it. And in the base the engine is a C20LET. So if the eco side of the block gets you, you dump in a C20LET and boost it to 600 bhp.

>And in the base the engine is a C20LET
Wasn't it an Ecotec 4-banger like in the Cobalt SS?

Probably too tall for it. Same with Z3/Z4s and Miatas.

>atmospheric
kek, nice