QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

A thread for asking your short automotive-related questions.

Things to look before asking -
>Google your question.
>Find General Threads that is related to your question.
Doing the above will get you into more chances of getting more detailed answers to your question.

Also scroll down for unanswered questions in the thread and help answer them.

Thank You and Have a Great Day!

Previous Thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

saabhistory.com/2007/06/27/saab-biopower-frequently-asked-questions/
youtu.be/GLCzs5LuON8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-point_harness
subispeed.com/2015-subaru-sti/exterior/front-lips-diffusers/varis-frp-front-bumper-extenion-lip-only-2015-wrx-2015-sti#.WnqFv-dG2Uk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does anyone know if the Toyota MR2 W30 uses a different rear brake clamp to the ones on the front? Also, if there are any companies that do both front and rear brake kits for the W30?

Was swapping out the oem rear 17mm sway bar for a 24mm perrin sway bar on my 07 base forester. Bolts were rusted so I took it to a mechanic.

My mechanic measured the bushings and said they wouldn't fit in the current clamps. I haven't heard of this issue before on subarus. I couldn't find any after market clamps that are bigger and would fit.

Is my mechanic right? He didn't take the bushing off to compare but he eyeballed it and said it wouldn't fit. Can anyone recommend big boy clamps?

The clamps on my subbie only has one hole for the nut and bolt. The other end just slides in.

24mm is probably way too much and will throw off the handling. But what I did was take a bigass drill bit to my rubber bushings when I did something similar. It made a terrible mess, but the result was that the bar fit in the bushings. Probably it would have been better to carefully carve them out with a knife.

Why does GM claim that the Corvette ZR1 that lapped VIR was street legal when they added bucket seats and a 5 point harness? Doesn't that technically make it a modified vehicle and not production?

If that's the case, I'll have to find someone to make a proper clamp.

Is 24mm really too much? A few nasioc threads recommended starting off with the 24mm rear sway bar then swapping the front out as well.

Currently the front is a oem 20mm.

I just started my driving classes and the schools started with parking lessons.

I'm always tensed while doing the 90 degree parking, and the parallel parking. I need tips to get my tense levels down.

You're probably going to want to do the front as well with that big of a jump. And then you might start to wonder if you shouldn't have gotten coilovers as well because now the spring rates aren't going to be in keeping with the anti-roll bar rates. It's ultimately all a matter of handling preference, though, and one assumes that you would dump a big rear bar in there because you know what you're doing.

I would get in touch with Perrin about whether or not you need different clamps altogether. I haven't dealt with them in years, but at least back in the day they were reasonably helpful about customer service, and you'd think they would be out to sell alternate clamps to make more money if it were a common need.

What's the country with the worst car import taxes?

I know Thailand's one of the shittest in that regard. A 3-series starts at $74k there.

It's a thing that becomes easier with experience, there isn't much to suggest other than "don't be tense", because it really just depends on you and your confidence level.
Or have your lessons while high on weed

Can I fill the tank of a Bioethanol Saab just with regular gas or will that break the enigne?
while googleing i found that they could "in any mixture ratio" so does the engine still need some bioethanol in the tank or can i run it as regular petrol engine?

Is this one of those "flex fuel" cars like they have in Brazil? If so, then it's safe to switch to regular gas. It's best to stick to one type of fuel if you can because the ECU will have to relearn fueling parameters every time you change, but they're designed with enough margin of safety to be able to tolerate it if you put something unusual in the tank once in a while.

the car in question is a 2010 Saab 9-3 2.0 BioPower Vector if that helps

When a car from a private seller, is it a big deal if they don't have license plates in the ad? Also how do I know I'm not buying a stolen car when buying privately? How does registering a used car work if it's my first car?

Alright so I'm working on the rear suspension on my Lexus IS200, trying to change the springs for lowering springs, only problem is in at a loss with getting the shock out.
Will I need to remove the drop link to get to it? The bolts for it are pretty far gone but I've got them soaking in WD-40 overnight.
Any other parts I'll need to unbolt just to get the shock to come out?

>Based thailand
>keeps degenerates out of bimmers
>and in tuk-tuks
best laws

>can't google "2010 Saab 9-3 2.0 BioPower Vector fuel type"
I'm so sorry your fingers are broken user
I hope you're also not blind
>open up for the fighter jet saabr/o/!
it's a flex fuel car, it can take either fuel OR a mix
>Saab BioPower – Frequently Asked Questions
saabhistory.com/2007/06/27/saab-biopower-frequently-asked-questions/
Q. What is Flex Fuel Technology?
A. Flex fuel technology enables a car to run on different types of fuels and different mixtures of fuels. In the case of the Saab 9-3 & 9-5 BioPower models, the cars are capable of running on bioethanol E85, unleaded gasoline or any mixture of unleaded gasoline and bioethanol E85, in any proportions.

>license plates?
nah whatever, if they sell it to you with no plates just tell DMV the previous owner had them stolen and they'll issue you new ones for like $20 or so
>how do i not buy stolen car
>AKA what is a pink slip?
if you give someone money and they don't give you a vehicle title you have bought nothing
make sure the name matches up as well
if your really concerned, get the VIN and call your local department of transportation or the cops and ask them to check it
also get a bill of sale, this will protect you from liability and duplicate titles
it will have sellers name as well so you can compare to the title for extras not stolen safety
>how do i register a car?
it varies but usually
>acquire pink slip
sometimes the transfer paperwork is on the old title
>acquire/fill out transfer paperwork
>take to DOT/DMV/MOT/local warlord
>wait in line
>tell the counter robot what you want [title transfer]
>they will look at ur paperwork and advise you if u fukd up
>get a number
>wait some more
>surrender old title, get temp. title with your name
>pay some money and leave
there may be extras steps like a smog or inspection certificate, go and look at the internets for more info

wd-40 is best for removing moisture, not freeing stuck parts
use a real penetrant like pb b'laster or some deep creep

Not that guy, but thanks. I'm completely new to buying a car and in the process of looking right now and had no clue what purchasing a vehicle entailed.

I'm going to put bucket seats in my 240, pull out the electric seatbelts, put in a rear strut bar, and hook the harness to that. Is it as simple as it sounds or am I missing something

Just bought a WRX Premium. In the snow it doesn't grip for shit. Has Dunlop Sportmaxx RT on them. 18".

Anyway, what would Veeky Forums recommend for width and size? I was thinking some 17" steel would be fine for winter, I realistically only need it for 3-4 months of the year. I was looking at Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's for my tires. Any other recommendations?

Air filters, induction kits. From what I've ready at the most you could get up to 5% increase in HP slapping on a filter. My friend wants a $400 airbox for his BMW which boasts 20bhp increase. Is this legit just putting this on a stock 1 series or is this under testing conditions (dyno, large fans, open hood, other breather mods) Veeky Forums is it snake oil?

>car grips like shit on snow with summer tires

No way

In my state (Indiana) this is how it usually goes
>go to look at car, take pic of VIN for insurance
>ask a cop to run the VIN, if you go to a police station they will do it
>if it's clean then buy the car and get insurance ASAP
>if they dont want to give you their plate, agree to do the title transfer and registration immediately at the BMV
>the clerk should help you with this

snake oil

>BMV
I cannot do this, as my state does not have a BMV. Oh user, I am truly screwed now!

How do I sell my car before the weekend

>BMV
>benis my vehicle
fuggin hoosiers

list it for $200

Had to start my car in -30C without having my block heater on. After cranking it for a while it started and warmed up quickly. After returning i found a thin line of oil running all the way down my drive way. I can't check on the engine right now as it is too cold. What are the chances my 30yo shit box is gonna self destruct if i keep using it until weekend? The oil level was full when i checked the dip stick. I'm not gonna forget the block heater next time.

How the fuck do you register an automobile then? Certainly you have a DoT or Motor Vehicle department somehow

Best automatic transmisions ? No CVT

Does putting on a leather suit and helmet while riding on a Supersport bike count as modifying the bike?

At any rate a 5 Point harness and racing seats are street legal in my state.

In SC, the previous owner of the car has to surrender his plates to the DMV to get the vehicle off of insurance. You never get the old plates from the PO here.

Usually it works like this in my state

Buy car, get Title and have the PO fill out the bottom portion of the old title (You can have a bill of sale written out if you want to make it more legit but its not necessary)

Call or get insurance on the vehicle ASAP like that day.

Got to the local revenue office, show title, pay applicable property and sales tax, take the receipt to the DMV and pay for the tags and for them to issue a new title in your name.

What are some good websites to find parts for a z31 300zx, planing on getting one soonish and I've done some googling and found some websites but a lot of the stuff that used to be made for it are discontinued now.

Helping my aunt fix her '98 dodge stratus. Told me she was hearing a grinding noise going around corners. Drove it til it couldn't move forward without seriously stepping on gas peddle and seeing smoke come from front driver side wheel. Quick check underneath shows the lower control arm rubbing against wheel(pictured). Jacked it up and the ball joint was squished al the way down(didn't hold its shape like I saw on the other side). Question is, do I only have to replace the ball joint and lower control arm? Or was there potentially something else that caused those two parts to start digging into the wheel? Thanks

quick google implies that the balljoint is part of the arm, so you've gotta replace the LCA at minimum.
Interesting suspension set-up though, normally when a balljoint fails you lose a wheel and cause a bunch of damage. Might be a lucky side-effect of having small wheels.

I'm over thinking it, but I just wanna make sure it's right. It goes this side up right? It's for a 2008 mazdaspeed 3

Why don’t cars use wet clutches like motorcycles?

almost all automatic transmissions use wet clutches.
Manual transmission wet clutch? It'd have to be in an enclosed environment with a constant flow of lubricating oil. I imagine its a lot easier in bikes since transmissions and engines are sort of one assembly.

I did mean manual. Thanks for the explaination.

Ball joint failure.
They are pressed into the arms. I would replace the bottom arm because it's probably no longer in spec. Top can be pressed if you have the tool. AutoZone does rentals on them I believe. Replace both sides, upper and lower if you care about the ride.

youtu.be/GLCzs5LuON8

Additionally certain type of Limited slip differentials, and Awd transfer cases use wet clutches to varying degrees.

rockauto.com
>welcome to the Rock

What's the most jap aesthetic car to daily if you're on a budget? I want something to cruise around the city with at night.

>budget
C'mon we need details. For me a budget car is 12k and for someone else it might be 2.5k

Is a 1990 Prelude Si a good choice for an affordable, aesthetic, relatively fun DD? I plan to keep it stock except for the audio system and perhaps some wheels.

The car I drive is owned by my parents, and on their insurance plan. I moved out to a different state, and I'm still on their plan. Am I covered or do I need my own plan? And can you get coverage for a car you don't own?

Contact the insurance company. They'll probably contact you once they find out you're out of state and threaten to cut it off unless you play by the rules that they want you to play by. So it benefits you to get ahead of the game rather than get caught on their timeline.

You need to be a listed driver and they need to tell the insurance agency the car is being kept at a different location.

>can you get coverage on a car you don't own?
Yes but if you're the one driving it their policy should state that. A 2 minute call with the agent will take care of everything.

So I want to buy a used car with a budget of 3000 in nyc. My question is how much in taxes would I need to pay the DMV? Does it increase the more recent the car is? Looking for a Honda accord for my first car btw.

Look for the county DMV website, they might have a fees calculator for registering a used vehicle (my county does). I would expect about $400 for a 3k car for registration, title transfer and tax.

Either goes by the sales price or their calculation of what the vehicle is worth in which case older is cheaper up to a point.

For what purpose? What price range? Almost every auto made in the past ~4 years is pretty good, they've been taking big steps forward recently.
The Mazda Skyactiv auto and the auto on the new Colorado/ Canyon are pretty damn good for affordable cars.

Thanks but I've read a lot of negative reviews from that place.

>buy car for 3 grand
>make agreement with the owner to lie and say you bought it for 500 bucks or some bullshit
>pay a fraction of the tax

Where? I've had nothing but good service from them, including returning damaged parts and used cores. They are usually cheaper for parts, but after shipping they're pretty close to in town parts stores.
I have like 27 magnets on my 'fridge, from them.

Is eating pussy beta?

I have no idea. I think I'd try it to find out.

long term car storage in not ideal condition

>project car
>sits in a garage with leaky roof
>really dusty environment (garage is on a farm)
>can't have the windows down due to massive dust
>worried about moisture buildup inside the car
>car might sit for another year or so

should I put a dehumidifier bag in the car or will this rather create a wet spot?

Because those are required for VIR so it's a given

Didn't mean to quote that guy. Any input?

No

I just drove with the oil cap off for 10-20 miles. What the fuck have I done?

you're probably fine save from a bunch of oil covering your bay now
check the level, refill, REPLACE CAP

buy some damprid or equivalent
>I buy mine at the dollar store, they work good

>I don't like the rock b/c some internet faggot bought the cheapest shit available and cried hard about it
they stock the same parts as a brick and mortar, just don't buy unknown brands
also i admit returns is horrible
>close to parts store prices
you must be lucky, almost across the board they save me half the price of o'reallys/vatozones stock INCLUDING shipping
>every now and then amazon is cheaper
super seecret: make big orders and order parts from the same warehouse for shipping savings
>look for the tan boxtruck symbol

>honda
affordable, check
>1990
aesthetic, check
>si
fun, check

I've had my BMW for a while now and now I see why BMW drivers speed everywhere. Anyone else have a problem not being able to go the speed limit?

Just don't let anybody else know.

How do you increase compression in an engine?

Both traffic and sporty feeling for the week-end, in an everyday car (I'm looking for an estate).

Tires. Who do I trust?
North American institutions say replace tires after 10 years.
Euros say 6 years. My summer tires are 7 years old.

IRS will come for you

depends on where you live
>the desert/the jungle
5-6 years
>somewhere cold
7-8 years
>mediterranean climate
9-10 years
also garage parking will prolong the life of the tires since less UV damage
>long term garage parking will create flat spots and destroy them however

Thorough inspection of the tire. Are the treads cracked, what about the sidewall?
Not to say tires last forever, just use decent judgement. I've seen really bad 7 year old tires, and on the flip side i've seen really good looking 10+ year old tires.

Underrated

>A five-point harness is a form of seat belt that contains five straps that are mounted to the car frame.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-point_harness

best air freshener? I'm tired of stacking trees

the fuzzy ones that come in a can

California Scents cans. Coronado Cherry is my personal favorite. You can use Auto Febreeze or Ozium to get rid of any unwanted odors before putting one in

This might be guitarded but I have a decision to make. Sorry in advance for the wall of text. I'm saving up to buy my first car (hs senior) and I currently have ~$1000. My three choices are a 4th/5th gen Civic, 1st gen Miata, or a Volvo 240. All three are cheap to buy/get parts for, easy to work on, and semi reliable from what I understand. The pros of the Volvo are rwd and practical, the Civic pros are practical and fun, and the miatas pros are rwd and fun. My first pick is the Miata but I can't afford one for $1000 in the Seattle area, where as the Civic and Volvo are attainable. I mainly just want a fun car that I can learn to drive well but I'm also an inpatient cunt and don't wanna wait any longer. What do?

A couple days ago this piece fell out from somewhere around my steering column and landed by my feet when I happened to brake pretty severely. I have no idea what it is, but maybe someone here does? Car is an e36 318i

sorry to say but if you want any sort of financial safety you should save up more money, and if you happen to be college-bound I honestly wouldn't even bother buying yourself the cheapest shitbox in existence when keeping it past the fall is no good. To answer your question though, my answer would be the civic since that will probably be the easiest one to find plenty of for at least close to your price range.

I would lean Volvo. Then you can find out what RWD and a car with some character are really worth to you next time you need to pick a car.

Does adding a tyre with a higher "load rating" increase cornering grip, or will having a soft compound tyre with a load rating of only 2 higher than manufacturers spec be fine? I want to make sure my tyres won't overheat during spirited driving/autocross style driving

Would it even be possible for them to get proof in a situation like that without testimony from either the buyer or seller?

That's a tap. It taps new threads in something. Pretty lulzy kind of thing to loose in a steering column or dash board.

Possibly the previous owner or a mechanic stripped some threads and had to tap new ones or put in a helicoil.

thanks for the fast reply. Good to know I'm probably not in any immediate danger, but I guess I should probably take some stuff off to see if I can guess what needed the tap in the first place.

You might be better off not touching anything in case all he did was chase some mangled threads back into good enough shape to hold together.

Usually they will look at KBB. Burden of proof is lower in tax fraud cases, since it's civil

how do auto body repairs affect a car's trade-in value?

about a year and a half ago mistakes were made in an empty parking lot and i damaged my rear quarter panel and taillight housing. i made a claim with my insurance company and had the damage repaired perfectly along with a few small door dings that i paid for out of pocket to get the car looking 100% again.

now 6 months later im looking to move on to something nicer and newer than a 12 year old coupe and im thinking of all the factors that could affect it's trade-in value. it get a big boost from the low millage but im worried about having a history of body work affecting its value or even the insurance company changing it from a clean title just because they paid to fix some dents.

If anyone can tell me approximately how much this is lowered (or possibly exactly what the suspension setup of this car is) that would be great. Looks to be about 40mm?

This is the product it's a demo for if that helps: subispeed.com/2015-subaru-sti/exterior/front-lips-diffusers/varis-frp-front-bumper-extenion-lip-only-2015-wrx-2015-sti#.WnqFv-dG2Uk

Yeah. Even a perfect job will hurt your resale.
Load rating has no bearing on anything other than load, as far as I know. Softies grip harder but wear out faster. Poorfags buy hard tyres because they last much longer and that's all they care about.
Decrease the space between the first piston ring and valves. Shaved heads will do it cheaper but the only way to do it properly is to swap out the bottom end

how do i learn stick without a car to learn it on? pls no bully

are all the toyota 4A engines compatible?
ie. they will all mate up to the same transmissions?

i have a project in mind to mate up a 4AC block to the AW11 C50 or C52 transmission

Anybody know where I can get a good Vin check on a vehicle with a 13 digit vin?

Here's the VIN:
W17AF4S082492

I bought an old dodge truck about a month ago. The title I got came from a towing company and the truck had been retitled to them in 2014. What little records I can find suggests that the vehicle came into the possession of a towing company in 1994.

The story I was told (from the guy I bought it from) was that the PO DUIed and the truck got towed and never picked up. 20 years later and they titled and sold it.

The towing company wasn't founded until 2004 so there's a gap between 94 and 04.

My theory is that the truck was bought in 74 and used solely as an OHV on a farm, explaining the ultra-low mileage (no rollover and odo functions still) but the many dents and dings in the bed. Lack of a rear plate mount suggests the guy never had a rear plate on it, maybe it was never registered in NM. Could explain why it was never picked up. DUI in an unregistered and uninspected vehicle, automatic license revocation, then no license to retrieve the truck. Truck sits abandoned until possession the length of time means the tow company owns it.

I'd really like to be able to talk to the PO, but even just knowing it was titled in 74 but never registered (until now) would be enough for me. Help me solve this mystery!

does anybody run Vins on Veeky Forums anymore?

Literally just watch youtube videos. Between that and playing arcade racers with shifters and clutches, I knew how to operate a manual just fine the second I got into one.

Only issue was learning the bite point of the clutch but after that, it was smooth sailing.

Ok that's good to know, I want to switch to a more sporty tyre and the load rating is 2 higher than my manufacturer calls for but if I got extra cornering power from a higher load rating number i'd have to buy new wheels as well, thanks user

>300zx
Thats a 200zr

>awd
>300hp
>less than 20k for one with less than 10k miles

What's the catch with these? Transmission?

You don't