If we ever make carbodies out of plastics or carbon nano-fibers, they won't rust away right? So like...

If we ever make carbodies out of plastics or carbon nano-fibers, they won't rust away right? So like, a car will look basically the same, minus some ware, even after 30 years?

They'll look like any semi tractor ever made
Aluminum is the answer

So they don't rust? Ever? Why aren't we making all our cars from this?

Something like 3% of our entire GDP is dedicated to just replacing or repairing oxidation of steel.

Typically the frame will still be steel rather than a fully aluminium unibody, I think the reason that steel is still common is cost.

How the FUCK is that thing still in service or not fixed up?
Do they not have any dignity or fear competition?

>competition
There's not much competition in the armored car business. It's pretty much ruled by three companies and they collude not to underbid each other.

Aluminum is not necessarily the answer. Fatigue is its achilles heal compared to steel. I'd wager a hard living truck made out of aluminum will not last as long as a steel framed truck even in a salt prone winter road climate.

The actual van is new, but the armored section is old as hell. They move armor from truck to truck when they get a new one.

>There's not much competition in the armored car business. It's pretty much ruled by three companies and they collude not to underbid each other.

But at least Brinks and Dunbar don't let their trucks look like insecure unmaintained shitheaps that look like they're one speed bump away from cracking open and having a clients cash blow over a highway.

Transport trucks are mostly show anyway. So long as the inner chamber is intact it doesnt matter how bad the outside is.
In the end the truck doesnt make too much of a difference, like any safe. Whats more important is the crew protecting it.

Looks like a prop for a dystopia movie

Making good stuff is bad for business. Indestructible cars would mean, that people would buy one or two cars in their entire lives.
Google Trabants. The bodies are made of Duroplast.

That's what Trabant did. Made their cars out of duroplast. It's resin reinforced with cotton fibers. Wouldn't want to crash in one, but they never rust or corrode. And they're damn near impossible to dispose of, so they just pile up everywhere lol

>they never rust or corrode
>clearly a rust mark on the bumper

Shhhhh, the body

"armor"

>Do they not have any dignity or fear competition?
It depends on the area as to competition and dignity. I look at how places in southern arizona and california have changed. Lots of places allow dinginess now since it's all a part of diversity.

Or dystopic really.

>reality
ffs

>If we ever make carbodies out of plastics

WTF is it with Garda trucks?

I saw one the other day I literally almost could see inside though the rust

Aluminum doesn't stop bullets familam, Especially from a high power rifle

Plastic car master race

Obviously the bumper is metal you utter brainlet

landrover/jaguar are manufacturing cars out of 100% ally, but the technology and tolling has to be altered to make it an effective business.

Carbon and Fiberglass are impossible to repair once cracked. Also making an entire car frame would be extremely expensive. Also a crack in the frame would virtually total the car.

Not to mention carbon fiber shards are really sharp...

>Lots of places allow dinginess now since it's all a part of diversity.

Paint Taco Truck logo on it. Never get robbed.

and the frames are made of steel and rust like all hell.

also, goats eat the cotton shit

I guess a good reason for not using Al too much is repairability, you can bend mild steel back into shape a lot better than you're able to with Al

It was painted to look like that, retard.

Yes, this is essentially what saturn did with the body panels. Of course, there were certain metal parts of the undercarriage that rusted real bad, but most of the body will stay rust free. My 2000 Saturn has survived a long life in New Jersey with barely any real rust.

I just bought a 1951 kenworth
Aluminum frame
The top dome or roof is steel. Rest aluminum.
I'll be putting it to work after I swap a Cummins 400 In to it.

>making an entire car frame would be extremely expensive
this makes me think, what is the cheapest car available with a carbon frame?
anything lower than the i3 (37.5k€ $44.5k)?

the bigger problem would be repairs, have a stripped out hole where a piece of trim goes into? guess your gluing it on then, because there isnt a great hole repair option other than that.

neat. That is pretty space age for a truck in 51.

I suppose you could put down an epoxy and seat some sort of spacer in the hole could bring it back to its original function. Like a grommet in fabric.

the bigger problem with uni-body cars would be suspension mounting points. and seeing as how carbon fiber is extremely strong yet catastrophically fails when damaged without a "its slightly bent up, or ripped" in between.

Small hairline cracks can suddenly rip all the way across the body, what would need to be intergrated is rip-stops or paneling.