/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

Remember to phrase your feedback in a constructive manner, and if you can't, maybe it isn't worth posting edition.

> Next Demo Day 16
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16

> Play Demo Day 15
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/JqsQerui
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

homph.com/steam/
ecard.zertukis.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Madness#Development
clyp.it/bzobijdx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Give an advice to a total beginner.

Don't

RUN!

buy a book

pirate a book

book

book

give up while you have your sanity in tact

Just watch anime

Make pong

less thinking and more doing

Small progress post
Decided to work a little on melee since I ran out of ideas on how to render curved lasers with particles.
The gist of it is actually super simple but I plan on adding a few different combo strings for the player to spice things up, which will be harder to do.

I also need to make a proper effect for pushing away the enemy so I can add behaviors like bouncing on walls if it goes fast enough.

Has this general ever produced anything very well known or successful?
Genuinely curious, not bullying

Last thing you'd want after becoming successful is to be associated with this general.

Risk of Rain

This general hasn't.

But members of it have. Risk of Rain is the most notable example but there have been a few others.

homph.com/steam/

read op

Everyone who did told AGDG to fuck off and cut all ties to this place.

>Restricted RPS
Still don't know why he though it was a good idea.

I noticed the link the the OP as soon as I posted that.

Well that's a shame. You guys generally seem pretty eager to offer advice, the few times I've dropped in.

You can't argue with mental illness

I thought it was quite fun the one time I was able to play

It's a genuinely fun game.

But it's a hard sell to normies. Multiplayer only, requires a decent amount of players (at least 8), didn't have a masterserver for years, kind of crap art style, no real progression system, etc.
'

B-b-but it was so exciting in the anime!
Playing that game with random internet people and no stakes should be just as tense!

Is the humble gamemaker bundle worth 15 bucks?

It wouldn't be worth it even if it was free.

nice ribbit filename

for sure, tons of good stuff in there.
even if you dont end up using the stuff inside the bundle its still fun to fool around with new stuff

He falseflagged himself and would make threads bashing himself without a trip. Sadly, he forgot to disable his trip a few times when doing so. That's when people started to hate his guts, since there were some that actually tried to defend him, but found out what an attention hungry faggot he is.

Quick, post progress

ecard.zertukis.com/
As much fun as playing E Card with a computer.

>You guys generally seem pretty eager to offer advice
Nobody should be taking feedback or advice on Veeky Forums. The majority of anons you hear opinions and advice from are complete failures who have never finished a rudimentary first game let alone devs who have something to actually teach. They repeat things they imagine, they repeat things they overheard or have read or leeched off gamedevs after squatting near them for years online and eavesdropping. Or even worse they will have actual attempts at one facet of gamedev like programming or art and then consider themselves gamedevs all the way through and experts on anything even though they've never done anything, they just got started on one branch of an extremely demanding and complex task.

It's enough work making a shooting mech game and now you're adding combo melee?

Should I drop my job and focus on my game?

Did agdg ever made a real game? Not Something boring where you need to stare at the screen but like football or basketball that's where real fun's At

>He falseflagged himself and would make threads bashing himself without a trip. Sadly, he forgot to disable his trip a few times when doing so.
So he sourcefagged.

Pick one
Desaturated so color doesn't distract you with your choice.

Can you reasonably finish your game before you run out of savings?

Do you think your game will sell enough to keep you alive until your next game is released?

Is there enough leeway that your estimates could be off by up to 50% and you'd still be able to survive?

C

No.

HOW CAN I REACH DESE KEEEDS

Only if you live with your mom and she's down to financially supporting you until your retirement.

They all look terrible.

Veeky Forums is a place you go to if you want short bursts of honest hatred helping you grow.

Speaking of which...

Don't forget to bully plagiarists

Post great moments in gamedev

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Madness#Development
>Unlike most other arcade games of the time, the course images were not drawn on the pixel level. Instead, Cerny defined the elevation of every point in the course, and stored this information in a heightmap array. The course graphics were then created by a ray tracing program that traced the path of light rays, using the heightmap to determine the appearance of the course on screen. This format also allowed Cerny to create shadows and use spatial anti-aliasing, a technique that provided the graphics with a smoother appearance.

C > A > B

The perspective effect in King's Field works well because it's two words, but MONomYTH makes no sense.

You realize he is attempting to evoke the King's Field logo intentionally, yes?

A but in reverse so NOM is larger.

Everything I've done so far bar pathfinding didn't really seem like huge tasks. I've got most of the ideas in mind so it shouldn't be too hard to implement.
It's not going to be completely like DMC, I just want to give players the option of having multiple kind of melee attacks.
I have more trouble with visuals than code anyway.

>NOM
no thanks, not playing your shit memegame

More hot gay combat screen mockups coming down the chute.

>mo
>nom
>yth
What did he mean by this?

Catering to some hipster nostalgia crowd is even worse of an offense though. its almost as bad as doing ironic meme pixels.

C but I'm not a fan of how angled the characters at the ends are

no gameplay

Dude, how long have you been working on this fucking logo?

I like the health bars stacked vertically more than horizontally because you can focus on all at a glance rather than panning to look at all of them if that makes sense

>honest hatred
nah, people didn't realize it was honest hatred at first and the past 5 years its been full of just self serving hate because they thought they were continuing old trends. It is starting to change back I think though. I hope.

Ranked: C, A, B

top is better because there's less empty space, it's just laid out better

Helicopter ai is mostly done now, just gotta add damage and explosions for missiles :)
just a fun little small game to put out into the world, haven't released anything in a while just wanted to jam some memes :)

I went into gamedev to fight depression, now I'm even more depressed.

>anime
found the problem

The concept itself is better suited to manga/anime than an actual game.
It's first year psychology tier reasoning and card counting with limited information behind a choice where the result is still very random.

Doesn't help that the game gogum produced is more barebones than a jam entry, judging from when he gave out some keys here. There is little explaination about what you should do, no single player mode, no babby mode where the game openly tells you the informations you have. iirc you couldn't even check the ui before you were thrown in a lobby with a timer.

The icing on the cake is the video where he showcased the deep and intricate reasoning behind winning a game where he baits the opponents by telling them what to do.

This, nobody watches Kaiji for the game, but for the characters and their interaction. It is to have no shame to just basically copy a game from the manga anyway.

If you were to make a game for casuals/kids what is better:
> make a game with clear and simple values
> make a game with complex mechanics that remain hidden, only a guess (like "probably success") appearing

Yeah, shit being instantly readable at a glance is important... Though the dead space / crowding ( ) is a problem. Top would probably make more sense if enemies were all on the right, and smaller.

>lowering the timescale of your game to pretend that you're good at it

Just a friendly reminder that someday you'll die which means with each passing day you'all have less and less time to make game.

:)

t. AGDG Management Team

its time to move on and make a game now that doesnt have 10x10 resolution

carpe diem

>tfw implement thing
>thing was way too easy to implement
>test thing for hours
>thing is working flawlessly
what the heck is going on

Here's that scifi shooter menu music.

clyp.it/bzobijdx

Does anyone else have a track they want?

thanks

I mean, he's kind of right. Half of Veeky Forums (or any other similar chans) is just shitposters baiting shitposters and even the "brutal honesty" is just "being a cunt for no actual reason" much more often than not.
Can't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with that. Still though, he lashed out like a fucking autist in the most laughable way.

>try to monopolize cards and fail because people can just shuffle
>basic psychology rrps win, peak of the deep reasoning in kaiji
>steal a bandage that contains a diamond

>walk the plank
>big guy is cheating. Win a dumb gamble with paper thin reasoning and survive
>bet it all on a middle school tier trick and lose

>dice game but you're forced to bet double vs rigged dice
>evil guys accept a dumb bet and get exposed cheating

>pachinko machine that doesn't allow the player to win
>physically just break it

wtf i hate kaiji now

He didn't physically break it sweetie.

I can't stop reading it as MOMMYTH

He sure is right about Veeky Forums being assholes, everyone knows that. Not wanting to deal with that shit is pretty understandable.
The problem is him expecting anons to make an exception and be nice to him because he's "making the game for them", that's pants on head retarded.

You may have a problem.

I'm probably pushing what I can get away with now. The new trees are way more expensive than the previous ones. Same for the ivy and floating bricks.

Thankfully it can all scale down into pure shit pretty easily.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Couldn't have said it better myself.

The "disassembled" pillar is all one object, right?

>There is little explaination about what you should do
there is a wiki to explain things
>no single player mode
kinda defeats the entire purpose of the game to build up an entire mode for people to not play the multiplayer, they can do that without an extra mode
>no babby mode where the game openly tells you the informations you have
babby mode is 100% all the time, notes store all the information you collect and i even added a dude who produces clientside observation information for you so you dont have to do it yourself.
>iirc you couldn't even check the ui before you were thrown in a lobby with a timer.
you mean the ingame UI? once again theres a wiki

why is that every fucking time i post this i get this kind of response
the filename says "lowrezjamfps"
obviously its for a game jam

Meme graphics give meme responses.

low res jam doesnt mean that your game should have low resolution

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Spaceship Crew Self-Defense Simulator
Dev: chaikaDev
Tools: GMS 2
Web:
Progress:
+ Ported the game from GMS 1.4 to GMS 2
+ Began adding corpses

the jam specifically says it needs to be 64x64.
at least i spend time developing and not shitposting like you

>brutal honesty" is just "being a cunt for no actual reason
t. thin skinned faggot

i apologize. guess im just frustrated and shouldnt have snapped at you

Yessir

You sound like a nodev faggot kill yourself cuck