Opinion on used coilovers?

Opinion on used coilovers?

I need new suspension (Blown struts, probably stock springs) and have looked at both struts/springs and coilovers and have decided to just spring for coilovers. I was about to buy some BC BR series coilovers with swift springs but then decided to look up some used coilovers.

I found a set of KW v3 coilovers for around the same price as the BC coilovers with less than 15k miles on them. They were put on his DD, then he caged the car and took it to a handful of track events.

As long as they aren't leaking or have bent rods they should be fine.

bump

Just buy new you cuck.

suspension components wear out, especially shocks, its always best to buy new

KW good shit, worst case they are rebuildable

Stop being poor and buy new coilovers you retard. BCs with swift springs are great btw. I 10/10 promise you that you dont want to buy used suspension. It's almost always worn more than you think.

Would you buy used toilet paper?

Are coilovers actually worth the money even if you're not planning to lower the car that much more? My car is already stiff as fuck and my city is a pothole hell, I figure things can't get any worse.

I would be weary if they have adjustment collars that they're not seized. Of course you should replace the shocks after 15k as well.

They should last 60k miles no problem.

i bought used bcs. the price was too good to be true, and it was. ended up needing to replace 3 of the cartridges (replaced all 4), 2 pillow ball mounts, and one lower mount. I noticed the shot pillowballs and lower mount and was able to low ball the seller pretty good but after all of that I only saved maybe 30 or 50 bucks after buying new parts.

used coilovers 400
new cartridges 388
new lower mount 50
new pillowball mounts 130
total 968

New coilovers cost 995-1050

buy new unless you get them for free. then you only have to pay to get them rebuilt. No one sells coils for less than 60% msrp unless something is wrong with them.

this is firmly in the realm of "it depends" if you are replacing 200k old shocks with new ohlins or moton units then it will probably ride better. if you slap on a set of racelands on youre an idiot

95% of coilovers aren't valved worth a shit and unless they explicitly state they're rebuildable in some way, shape or form, stay away.
Those cheap TEINs for example, aren't rebuildable, you just have to buy a new damper as a whole (which usually costs about what a rebuild is anyway) and they can valves for your specific use.

Valving is important to match with the spring rate and travel. Don't cheap out and go 'good enough', you'll just end up with a stiff piece of shit that jacks up when the going gets tough.

Koni's with a ground control sleeve is normally what most people would want.

dont buy used unless you are 100% certain they are 100% working and you know where the guy lives so you can go and beat him up cause your shock exploded midcorner and you crashed.

Suspension is one of these components should never cheap out on.

Suspension is arguably the most important component of a car bar stickier tires.
Mechanical grip>Suspension>Aero>Power>Braking

coilovers turned my MRS from a american landyacht to a fuckin railgun
But I care about handling, something 99% of people don\t even know exists.

braking is more important than power.

Nothing beats the feeling of zipping past a car twice your hp with brake lights on WOT

What if you just raise the car if the coilovers allow for it?
Looking at HKS Hipermax SP for my s2k, it lowers the car by about 1 1/2 inch which I feel like would make the car unusable on the roads around me
It has settings to raise it and should be able to look like stock if I'm reading the spec sheet correctly, but how badly does that fuck up geometry and "performance"? These things are supposed already be fine tuned when you buy em, afraid fucking with this shit would just ruin it

You may want to look into avoiding coil overs if roads are bad in your area. I have them on one of my cars, which I lowered about 2.5 inches and it’s a deep paused breath when I hit a pothole.

I suppose so, usually decent OEM brakes are good enough to lock up track tyres in a pinch, but for track it's totally different animal.

weight improves braking and power and grip.
Driver skill lets you become takumi in eyes of rest of us amateurs, doing shit like embarassing a GTR in a ford puma.
driver mod > weight > mechanical grip > suspension > aero > braking > power

Yeah but weight stripping is a serious rabbit holem unless your car is pigfat to begin with.

used shocks probably need rebuilding

I mean in terms of body stiffness/handling benefits from coilovers. As I said I wouldn't want to lower it much from stock, no more than 40mm.

Braking is more important than suspension and power is more important than aerodynamics, unless you're talking about some insane track-only car.

Just buy oem ones.

The main benefit of a coilover is it adjust ability, do a little research into what coilovers might be best for you they do make softer coilovers and coilovers based around a mix of stiffness and comfort as opposed to straight up racing coilovers

Isn't $1,050 about the price to buy and install OEM shocks one side at a shop? Jesus.