I can't afford to run two cars

>I can't afford to run two cars

Serious question, what does this statement actually mean?

My dad is about to sell his beater because he supposedly can't afford to run two cars. It's worth $1250 tops, he loves the car, it's had all the work done to it, it'll last forever, it's a good car. But he's selling it because it costs him $500 a year in tax and insurance.

What's the logic?

Sounds like you answered yourself with the last sentence.

"Dad, why can't you just foot the thousands of dollars in insurance for a car that you barely drive so I can have it for free when you die?"

just buy the car if you love it so much

>$500 a year in tax and insurance
That's the only thing I look forward to getting older for, cheaper insurance.

I spent $12,000 on my project car last year.

how do i stop

Lemme guess, now you'll have to buy your own car instead of driving daddys shitbox around.
life's tough kid, deal w/ it.

Welcome friend, it's all down hill until the wife MAKES you stop

You don't.
You've contracted an expensive hobby.

A second car should cost ~$150 a year to insure and only about $80 a year to register. So I'm not sure where he's getting this $500 mark from.
You need to make sure you understand multicar discounts.

Just because your second car appears as X a month doesn't mean it actually costs X a month.
you need to look at annual cost differences.

Typically adding a car to my plan raises it by about $12/mo. But the car shows as costing $30/mo/
You need to take into account the drop in rate you get on your other cars and work based off the net number. Raw insurance numbers don't mean shit.

That's why I'm trying to finish it as fast as I can before I meet a female suitable for courtship.

>tfw megasquirt goes in this week
>then COP conversion
>then head swap for HUEG PORTS
>then ITBs

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Pics? Shit sounds fire

inb4 some shitty fucking chebby vee ate.

>megasquirt
>chebby
Probability is low

It's a 1984 E30 325e. Head swap is going to be an 885 head off an M20B25, which I need to hurry up and send off for porting. I found that head at a junkyard off of a car that someone had apparently had a head replacement done, and then the car ended up...well, in a junkyard. Tags were from 1998 and it was an E28, but it still had a B25.

Pic from when I had the cluster out to fix the odometer.

Nah I only do that on weekends.

Trying to catch quads

I bought the car expecting it to need a bottom end rebuild. The head came off anyway because the gasket was basically a paper towel, and it was pretty much fine. #1 wobbled a little bit, but that's ok.

This thing was seriously counting down the days until it got made into soup cans, and I'm happy that I got to save it.

N i c e
Keep up the good work, and don't let the e30 gremlins ruin your budget to much

>$12,000
>Into an e30
Wew lad.
I've put about $4k into a Lotus Esprit and it feels bad.
$12k into an e30? We're talking USD right?

I've replaced literally everything.

then you are retarded

I never said I was smart.

I hope you're happy with it and use it the rest of your life.

>dat lower valence

P A I N T

>doing a paint patchwork on a 35 year old car
Yeah, nah cunt.

It means he can't afford all the costs of owning a second car.

Cars cost more than the fuel you put in them, y'know.

$500 a year to keep a good car you like that you know works seems like a complete no brainer to me.

He is absolutely not in the situation where that amount of money a year is even remotely important.

wholesome af

Where did all these Gen Z cunts shitting up the board come from?

They're 18 now.
This is the future of the internet now.
This is the future of car culture now.
This is your future.

>He is absolutely not in the situation where that amount of money a year is even remotely important

No, he clearly is or he wouldn't be selling his car. Either you don't understand his finances or he fucked something up and doesn't want to admit it.

I sold my second car, a Camry last year. Mechanically it was perfect, and except for a crack in the bumper it was pretty good cosmetically too. I sold it because I would drive it all of two times a year and it would cost me the following:

-$75 registration
-$2-300 insurance
-$1200 in parking

The parking is what really killed it for me, although it was nice to share that spot with the motorcycles.

the insurance and such means it costs money to keep a second car around. like this guy said:
even if it's "only $500" in registration + insurance, it's stupid if you drive the car only twice a year.

It's also not good to let a car sit for long periods of time without driving unless you're actually going to start the thing once in a while and give it a good drive to get everything working. especially if said car isn't garaged.

Know U R retarded is kind of smart

I've got the following into my C124 thats honestly a rust bucket, but it's my first car and I love it. No particular order:
$2400 original buy
$2900 shop labor for wreck after I bought it
$500 in other body parts I bought to give to the body shop to have repainted and used
$250 headlights
$1000 new wheels no rubber
$40 voltage regulator
$250 fuel pressure regulator
$350 or so for brake system overhaul (rotors, pads, new fluid, new wear sensors)
$100 into the driveline or so
$750 for a door with no rust but a ding
$100 in filters (ps fluid, air, fuel, oil last time)
$200 in misc parts I've pulled from junkyards
$100 in rust repair supplies
$50 in other parts to be replaced
$300 in shocks
$250 labor for a re-weld of my rear shock tower support after it poked through the trunk due to rust.

About to spend:
$250 on good floormats
$1000 on powder coat job for the wheels
$350 on tires

fuck me why cant I stop dumping money into this thing? Mind you this was over the course of about 4-5 years...

Have you considered talking to your dad and paying for the insurance and tax?
Of course not cause youre underage and neet.

E30s are fucking awesome. 12k is a lot, but if you love the car, it's worth it. Good work preserving the superior vehicle. Live long and prosper.