So i found this mint condition '96 Ford Thunderbird LX with the 4...

So i found this mint condition '96 Ford Thunderbird LX with the 4.6 V8 and want to know what i sould check before buying it.

It is just a dreamcar for me, sleeper looks and big fat V8.
I love it!

Other urls found in this thread:

tccoa.com/articles/suspension/index.html#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>4.6
>big and fat
>sleeper looks

lmao

Thanks for the Bump!

Rocker box rust.

As with most unibody cars, the rocker boxes are main structural members of the assembly so perforating rust significantly compromises the strength of the body. Unfortunately the MN12's are one of the worst late model cars for rust in the rockers. That one has rocker panel covers which hides a lot so you'll want to do a thorough inspection. Preferably with the car on a lift but a mirror can do in a pinch.

The cars have a host of idiosyncrasies, mostly dealing with the suspension, that you'll need to learn because you're going to have to be the lead mechanic so you'd do well to spend some time on TCCoA reading.

pic is related. It's just ahead of the RR wheel. You can see the fuel tank straight back and that's the RF rear subframe mount there to the left a bit.

Check the gasket in the drivetrain. Had one of these and it failed at 250k miles but otherwise the engine was solid if you did the basic regular maintenance

Thank you both for the good info!
Just as a bit about the car, it is originaly from Arizona (1st hand) and only has about 77 000 miles on it.
But i am still going to check out the underside of the car, because the left muffler had a but of rust on the pics.

Oh yes, and can someone link me or tell me what kind of wheels fit on em?

The original ford rims look bad, and i would like to put some muscle car rims and tires (the ones with the white lettering) on the car to make it look better.

Like pic related, can you tell me the name of the rims?

Or does anyone know the name of the rims from this car?

5 X 4.25 freedom units, or 5 X 108mm.

39mm positive offset.

Fox chassis stuff will not work without changing hubs to SN95 parts.
tccoa.com/articles/suspension/index.html#

If you like t-birds 4.6 is great had a pearl white one that i roasted tired with all the time. Also had the turbo 6cyl one as well. That car actually caught fire doing a burn out. But your usual stuff miles check the trunk for rust. If its got a sun roof make sure it doesnt leak. And check the front end make sure everything is all tight and very little play.

This is one of the worst handling cars I've ever had the displeasure of driving fyi.

Also the interior is fucking awful.

They are slow as well. Nothing about that v8 is fast.

Definitely not a sleeper. They are as boring as they look.

Thanks for the Bump

Bump for interesting car!

I had a 95 V8. Loved it. Not a quick car but excellent high speed cruiser. Was comfy and handled well. 4.6 is non-PI so more power is on the table without spending much money if you get junkyard parts. Trans is 4R70W, fairly stout. Rear end gears are tall, plan to change those.

I didn't have rust issues. Common problems are the drivers door striker isn't backed up with strong enough steel so it will crack the metal. Fix with a welder and reinforce if possible. Electronic temp control backlights are usually burned out, not a big hassle to fix.

Another cheap upgrade: Swap a Lincoln Mark VIII aluminum driveshaft.

>4.6
>big fat V8

Lol....enjoy your 8 second 0-60

96 and 97 models started to get decontented. Ford removed some things to try for profits (the MN12 was a loss for them overall). Things like courtesy lights, etc. Taillights changed slightly, aesthetic thing if you want to customize. I like the 94-95 style noses more, not too hard to swap if you can get the hood/headlights/bumper.

There's pretty good upgrade support if you include Super Coupe parts.

Must have been something wrong with yours. I found handling to be really strong for the time. It's not set up as a corner carver, seemed tuned for high speed handling. Steering is speed sensitive too IIRC.

I remember when I hated on the 4.6 2-valve. For all their faults, they have some characteristics that earned my respect (even if it took 10 years).
-Love to be abused
-Never wear out
-Good sound
-Cheap junkyard upgrades to 260+HP depending on exhaust/tune
-Easy to swap with 4-valve versions, 3-valve isn't impossible

I will Mr Busman! ^^

I love mn12 birds. Had a '90 3.8, a 92 5.0 and a '90 SC 5 speed 35th anniversary edition, rare car, only a handful made with a 5 sod. Unfortunately rust took them all

They're comfy as fuck, roomy, good power, cruise very nicely on the highway and hoon pretty good for very 2 ton. Even my na v6 would shred tires off pretty easily

But they're heavy, looks are dated(subective) and they're prone to rust

Don't. "Muscle car" wheels on an mn12 would look way trashy. Plus youll be hard pressed to find a wheel in 5x108 with the right offset.

>This deluded
Inb4 'Thanks for the bump'

Thanks for bumping OP's thread user

>Under 240hp out of a pig-fat V-aight?
What's wrong with people.
Oh yeah, Ameriturds.

>8 second 0-60 out of an MN12 thunderbird
I think you misspelled minutes there

Because American spec'd cars had to pass strict smog regulations starting in the 1970s and the easiest way to do that was just to lower the compression ratios while enthusiasts who wanted a performance car could just pull the engine and change the top end and bottom end in order to un-gimp it. While people who didn't give a fuck just didn't give a fuck.

240hp/300torques isn't bad for an engine that'll still run just as long as any low-comp Honda 4-banger.

Thise numbers are crap when pulling a 2 ton heap with a comfy seat(sarcasm).

>Never wear out
>plastic
>timing
>chain
>guides

Thanks for the Bump ;)

It 1600 kg

Bump

TAKE THAT BACK!

Thunderbirds are great. but the lincoln Mark VIII is literally better in every way

just an overweight thunderbird

You know, with 290hp compared to 200. Plus 2 cams, plus dual exhaust

Plus a goddamn full width neon brake light.

They were always to grandpa tier in their looks for me. Even the cougars were too. Hated that rear window on both fox and mn12 cougars

5spd tarbo coupes and supercoupes make my peepee twitch

Welcome to the higher trims of Ford Motor Company. Mercury is for old people, Lincoln is for slightly-better-off old people.

Bump for weird looking V8 car

get a t bird turbo coupe my dude