Supra new info

>AUTO ONLY
>380hp inline 6 at the most powerful trim
>base models will be cheap-ish
>basically a rebadged BMW Z4
from bimmerpost:
• Three engines (EU-only 195hp 20i, 255hp 30i, and 335hp 40i - and this means the 380hp Z4 M40i will be offered only by BMW and only in North America and a few other non-EU markets).
• Intro later this year, common sense suggests it will be simultaneous with Z4.
• It will be Toyota in name and body design only - everything inside the car is the same familiar BMW stuff: same options, same colors, same interior materials.
• Speaking of colors, it feels almost like a throwback to the 00s: Glacier Silver, Atacama Yellow, and Crimson Red are coming back, though there'll also be a new matte gray.
• For the interior, you'll be able to choose between fabric, alcantara, and leather, and (the gods have heard us!) all of these choices will be available in the U.S.
• Wheels: 17" standard with 18" and 19" optional on 20i and 30i, 18" standard and 19" optional on 40i.
• 40i gets standard M sport diff, while on 30i it will be optional in something that BMW would call "ZMP".
• Market positioning for the car seems to be distinctly lower than BMW, for example, the barebones 30i will have manual seat adjustments and no nav system.
• And, finally (que the sad trombone): all models are automatic only.

Other urls found in this thread:

f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686
turbofast.com.au/GT86.html
youtube.com/watch?v=dmJH84FnQa8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>AUTO ONLY

DOA

p.s for those confused it's an article about the upcoming Z4 but it will be identical to the Supra (except the bmw will come with a manual)

If it doesn't have 1000hp like the supras on youtube then its shit

will it cost more?

>Market positioning for the car seems to be distinctly lower than BMW, for example, the barebones 30i will have manual seat adjustments and no nav system.
Z4 will cost around 40-60k, base model supra 30-40k?

i don't believe it, the car would make zero sense as a rebadged bmw.

>zero sense
It makes perfect sense.
BMW has been building well handling i6 coupes for decades.

> base model supra 30-40k?

A fucking BRZ is $30k.... Why the fuck would a 300hp halo car be $30k? This piece of shit will be $60k plus after dealer markup. For base Camaro or Mustang performance? Ehh it's already a fail.

Where is this information coming from?

inb4 some faggot's ass

the base model supra will be barebones as fuck with no power seats, no navigation, 4 cylinder.
from the author of this thread
f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686

then buy a fucking bmw

This chassis better be Miata-level good...

This. The supra would start at $35,999.

Sure if they're just gonna rebadge a 86... If it's built from the ground up or a rebadged BMW keep dreaming. They're not gonna fuck up 86 sales with this thing. We'll see.

it probably will start at ~35k.
60k for the top model is most probable

I’m confused, is the 380 HP motor only in the Z4? That sentence is confusing. If this car only gets 335, I’m not interested.

I would like to get a source for this
This sounds like the same "leak" months ago from an unverified document that was later contradicted by another different "leak" later

380hp for american market i guess.

source was posted

I'm just sad it isn't a hardtop convertible. Softtops are so incredibly ugly

>BMW Z4
Why would Toyota do this? Lexus has adequate power plants to handle this job with a beefed up 86 six speed.
Nips truly have no souls

>AUTO ONLY
Dropped

Don't forget the hoodline meme. Stick OP's photo next to an 86 and I bet you'd notice the engine bay is decidedly taller to accommodate a taller engine.

>auto only

... Really? A drivers car, designed for driving, for the enjoyment of driving... it's an automatic only.

Toyota, why are you so stupid? Hopefully the first year sales are so goddamn poor that they add a manual gear box into it like GM did with the SS.

That's certainly disheartening to hear
I'm just hoping these leaks are wrong and Toyota isn't going to go full retard with auto only

86 cant accommodate a bigger engine without messing up the weight balance
sad indeed. but the poster from bmw forums has been posting reliable, accurate info since 2013. so 95% chance that the supra is auto only.

Will it still be a fastback?

>slow and auto
its a literal shitbox

>automatic only
A rumor only, wait for the official announcement next month. With luck it will sell just well enough to announce a manual after a year or two.

Also i'm glad that BMW co-designed it - Toyota won't be allowed to out-price BMW, and BMW has to be careful not to step on the M2 and M3. I would expect at least one of the V6 supra trims to be low 50k. The highest-tier GRMN one is the 60k+ gucci nerdberg shit tier

basically no longer a rumor about being auto only. see

JUST W8 4 THE M8. M8

I will take the BMW Z4 but thx

it will be a 2 door M5

I'm still not convinced, "inside sources" are hardly a fucking mark of certainty.

You forgot
>a torque dip the size of your mom's ass crack

well since this "inside source" has been posting spot-on information since 2013 i'd say it's basically confirmed.
it's a bmw engine this time though

>86 cant accommodate a bigger engine without messing up the weight balance
You sure about that?
turbofast.com.au/GT86.html

>front is 200kg heavier than rear
that is awful weight balance user

The 86 could already do with a bit more weight shifted to the rear. Shame the oil pan vs. the tie rods seems to be a limiting factor there. It's curious how they kind of managed to fit together all these different factors that almost really work but all fall a little bit short.

i actually like this except the auto only

Checked

Why do they keep doing this to me

>a literal shitbox

LEL
E
L

I feel so sorry for toyota fans, at least Toyota could still make that LeMans proto supercar a reality I guess

Because only vapelords and Veeky Forumstists care about manual transmission but they're not buying any new cars so their opinions don't matter.

So they are going to the point of even using BMW model names "20i, 30i, 40i"? I'm not sure I understand the motivation behind that. It doesn't seem like it would benefit either brand.

Also, what kind of autotragic are we talking? DCT? some steptronic monstrosity?

CVT

That cat knows what's up.

>Miata-level good

So, shit?

Loool fucking Toyota fucked this up. Shit BMW reliability and maintenance costs, auto only and slow. What a joke, is gonna be a massive hit for the first couple of months because "Supra" then people are gonna realize that they just bought a soulless piece of shit German car with Toyota badges.

toyota still has the iM and the iA, sort of matches the model names

literally between the IS-F, GS-F, RC-F, and LC, there was 0 reason to go with a BMW engine. They could have stuck a fuckign 300hp v6 camry engine in the chassis for the base and the GS-F engine in the chassis for the top, and as long as the chassis was good no one would have said anything.

>citing that outdated "leaked" model sheet.
yeah, and the X3 is going to have a US spec manual too

"this car I never could've afforded in the first place is shit!"
-Veeky Forums

BMW, and to my knowledge all German transmission manufacturers, don't make CVTs.

it's not just the engine.
BMW developed the whole platform - drivetrain, chassis etc.
Hence using a toyota v6 wouldnt work.
Plus bmw i6 engines are great anyway.

>outdated
it was updated today retard

I fucking hate BMW, and I hate Toyota for being so lazy. Way to sell out your most iconic car to one of the worst marques in the business.

How many cars in Toyota's CURRENT lineup are being made by somebody fucking else?
Mazda, Suburu, BMW

What the fuck is the slant eyed niggers endgame?

toyota can't into well handling rwd cars anymore.

If they didn't have Lexus making at least something interesting, I'd write off Toyota as a lost cause already.

Vapelords, Veeky Forumstists, and people who actually race.

A good manual is lighter, shifts as fast, and is cheaper to rebuild (which will happen if you actually drive the damn thing the way a sportscar should be driven - around a track)

But a good manual is confusing and difficult for trust fund kids and arabian oil princes, becayse it's usually a sequential, or at least has dogs instead of synchros. And makes a really loud whining noise all the time if it needs to handle any real power.

youtube.com/watch?v=dmJH84FnQa8

>195hp 20i
Camry i4 203hp engine can replace this
>255hp 30i
Lexus Turbo4 240hp can replace this
>335hp 40i
Camry 2GR with TRD Supercharger 350hp can replace this
>380hp Z4 M40i
Camry 2GR with Lotus supercharger 400hp can replace this
>It will be Toyota in name and body design only
FUCK YOU TOYOTA

>people who actually race
lmfao kid

>Toyota not producing pic
This is the real tragedy.

It's kind of a rich man's hobby because very few cars come suited for it from the factory. If it's fast stock it's built to be a status symbol/"driving experience" thing. Why? I don't know. Marketing jews.

Non-richfag racers do bikes

you're on something else man

>Bmw will have a manual
So there will be a manual option just not in the supra? What the fuck is toyota thinking.

none of those are i6s
might as well make it a hybrid

if you want a convertible - BMW
if you want a coupe - Toyota

Can't fucking wait to see it 2JZ swapped

Sounds a lot like my Mk3. At least it's staying true to ONE of it's ancestors

If Toyota could ignore brand image, they would only sell Camrys and Priuses. Not even joking. Off-loading R&D and rebadging cars opens up more room for Camry and Prius production.

I don't like it at all from what i've heard and seen so far

If someone really give a fuck about muh Supra heritage then they should care about how Toyota doesn't even make the fucking car

Jesus all the renders look ugly and the info makes it seem like a shitty car.
But I think it will sell well to rich middle class white kids and poor arab immigrants who watched 2F2F.

Stop giving me nightmares, user.

>V6 supra
kys

Daily reminder that GT86 won't get any more power so it won't eat sales from 5th gen Supra.

Same with BRZ & WRX STI.

>expecting them to build more powerful 86's
Spotted the retard. That would go against the design brief of that car. It would be like making an 4 cyl diesel Corvette.

>auto only
Why the fuck would you do this toyota

>most people who want a Supra were the kids who grew up watching Paul Walker shift manually through 57 gears on Fast n Furious
>not catering to them by making it auto only
Why

Supra is the Japanese muscle car, I have no idea why they wouldn't put the 380HP engine in it

>less power than a mustang

you don't need tons of power you need better power to weight ratio

>BMW Supra
KYS x100 times

So you'd rather have a numb overweight V6 shitbox?
Look at Lexus F cars, toyota doesn't know how to build sporty cars anymore.

there's no replacement for brute power

>implying v6 weigh more than anchor 6
kys bus rider

I'm not just talking about the engines, toyota does not know how to build a lightweight chassis. See Lexus RC-F for example, it weighs 500lbs more than the BMW M4 while being the same size lmfao.
Also:
BMW N55 3.0 liter inline 6 twin turbo weight: 290 lbs
Toyota 2GR 3.0 liter V6: 360 lbs (add a turbo and it would weigh even more)

>2GR 3.0 liter
I mean 3.5 liter

RC-F is a frankenstein piece of shit. Toyota doesn't give a shit. Future concept cars is the only things they pretend to care right now.

So Germany won't get the Z40iM?

Z4M maybe

>Supra is the Japanese muscle car

Older Supras were known in a similar fashion, you could get 2.5GT, 3.0i and 3.0i Turbo which pretty similar.

>caring about manual transmissions

You can't afford this car anyway. No one who actually cares about driving or performance gives a shit.

you think it can compete with the newer mustang?

i always thought those two would be sortoff rivals

>not just getting a Hyundai genesis

bmw m2 only has 365hp and it can btfo the new GT350 on track so...