I dont drive, but thinking about waiting for the green light on a hill with a manual induces me a panic attack...

I dont drive, but thinking about waiting for the green light on a hill with a manual induces me a panic attack. how do you handle that kind of situation?

>I dont drive

I don't drive either but if its anything like a motorcycle, you either hold in the clutch and the brake at the same time, or you put it in neutral whislt pressing the brake.

^this^
or you cheat with the handbrake
it becomes muscle memory

for me on a bike its
>hold clutch in
>put it in first if it isn't already
>step on foot brake or use hand depending on situation
>roll throttle and rev to 1.5k-2k or something like that, I don't have a tach
>let off of brake and clutch at same time
>go

>stop normally, pressing both clutch and brake
>Apply handbrake, let go of normal brake
>Slowly pull up the clutch until minor vibrations can be felt
>When it changes to green, let go of handbrake and just add gas, car won't go back because the clutch doesn't let it
That's how I'm doing since that's how I was told in the driving school, although my parents are really confused by the clutch part, they just use handbrake and add a lot of gas when it's green

>i dont have tach
what

you can also just rev to 5k, slam it in first, dump clutch and ram the innocent in front of you but hey that beats stalling on a hill

Tachometer
One of my shitboxes doesn't have it either

Handbrake? Lol, if you have any reasonable motor skills whatsoever you can hold the foot brake, release the clutch to it's bite point and reasonably quickly release the brake and apply throttle.
Its not that hard. Handbrake is unneccessary.

just like most other people on this board. fuck off you fucking dumb coward cunt

i put it in neutral with my foot on the brake and then when the light turns green i get the clutch to bite point and quickly release the brake and give it gas. it's just like starting from flat ground but quicker

Some cars are really weak and it's super hard to find that sweet spot. And when you have a long line behind you, you don't to be that guy that's holding everyone because you stalled.
I just give it a slight amount of gas and keep it balanced between clutch and throttle, a few seconds before the lights turn green.

Bad idea friend, you misjudge it in the slightest and you go either flying backwards into the car behind you or stall and look like a loser. always handbrake

cool to say things like this on the internet but everyone in europe literally doesnt use the handbrake for hillstarts and has done it like that all their life

>hold brake+clutch
>release clutch until the pedal begins vibrating
>slowly release the brake while holding the clutch sweet spot
>the car is now either in motion already, or staying still on the clutch alone (no brakes or gas)
>carefully apply gas
Am I being a double nigger to my diesel shitbox's clutch?

it would be embarrassing to have to use the handbrake. it's universally seen as a learners crutch

This. If you can't hill start a standard normally, you shouldn't be driving one at all. My gf at the time could easily start on a hill in a 100hp 5speed civic when we were like 16.

Get gud faggots

No, unless your holding it on the hill with the clutch for any length of time. A few seconds won't hurt, if you smell It, you're slipping it too much/too long.

A clutch is meant to take a certain amount of slipping

>learning stick on a 70’s Corolla with an iffy alternator
>it’s midnight on a single lane road in the middle of nowhere
>doing really well, don’t stall it once
>look ahead and see an intersection on a hill
>oh fuck
>stop and try my hardest to not stall the bitch
>still stall it ofc
>go to start it again
>click
>FUCK
>luckily it’s only 1900 pounds and I’m able to push start it
and get it home

Ordered an alternator the next day and didn’t drive it again till it was in

>he has never actually driven a manual
Are you fuckin kidding me? I don't think I've ever used the handbrake on a hill, and I live in the mountains. If you don't have the ability to start a manual on a hill, you shouldn't be driving one. It's not a hard concept.

>not bump starting it down the hill

>everyone in europe literally doesnt use the handbrake for hillstarts
I'm europoor and I was always told to use the handbrake
If you drive more than one car, you can always use the same technique with handbrake on each one, trying to do it with your technique is different in each car

how shit at driving are you? jesus

I said in the story that I push started it

>handbrake on
>find bite point on clutch
>green light
>handbrake off
>gently lift clutch and give throttle as needed
>if you roll back your doing it wrong and are a moron

its not even complicated

I hope you keep your L plates on so every one knows you can't drive

Depends on how steep the hill is.
I use handbrake occasionally while driving up hills in the bay area.

>keep it balanced between clutch and throttle for a few seconds

RIP clutch

His point was you could have bump started in in reverse

why not just do this with your normal brake?

Bingo

Quick feet, knowing what I want to happen, how I'm going to accomplish it and not fucking around when it comes time to do it.

You only have two feet and most people aren't quick enough to do it without rolling backwards.

apart from most normal Europeans

Retard here. Not sure if this is standard practice anywhere else but when waiting for a green light people kinda just lurch their cars forward little by little, what then?

Yeah nah, Europeans by and large can't drive for shit- There was a thread like this a while back where some eurofag was bitching about hillstarts and getting super panicked because minivan mom was TOO CLOSE OMG and was basically talking like he was some Billy Badass driver-

I told him he was a pansy, that if he was focusing on what people behind him are doing he's not focusing on what he needs to be doing and his gripe was small potatoes and threw out an example that I drove on Woodward after quitting time on a Friday during Dream Cruise season in a vehicle with manual everything.

He asked me to take it easy on him because he'd only been driving for two months. Europeans can't drive, especially Europeans on Veeky Forums.

Not really possible. Was a super tight and curvy single lane road. Would’ve had to reverse all the way out

Just do a normal launch but a little bit quicker

>handbrake posters
Learn to move your right foot a bit

Maybe wear shoes that don’t snag on your carpet

If you can't hill start without a handbrake you are an absolute drivelet

It really isn't hard, you should have a good understating of clutching to the biting point within a couple of weeks of driving

rev to 2500 and quickly (not dumping) release the clutch, it ain't rocket science