How much does age really affect timing belts?

How much does age really affect timing belts?

My 2001 IS300 has 75,000 miles. Maintenance schedule calls for timing belt replacement every 90,000 miles or 72 months (lolyarite). The timing belt has probably never been replaced.

It looks in good shape, pic related. It's not shiny or hard.

Other urls found in this thread:

lexuspartsnow.com/oem-lexus-water-pump.html?Make=Lexus&Model=IS300&Year=2001&Submodel=&Filter=(5=ATM)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I forgot about age one time and the belt jumped after about 10 years despite only barely hitting the mileage interval. RIP engine. That was an expensive bit of carelessness.

change the belt or change the engine
>your call

I would like to know as well about this.

But it's my serpentine/auxiliary belt. I don't know if it's 5 years or 11 years old, but it's still going strong and has never missed a beat, despite having a bunch of cracks and some material missing from the outside of it.

I have the new belt and a new tensioner pulley ready to install. Just wondering what causes a belt to last forever/longer than usual.

Changing belts in general is preventative maintenance, since it can suck to throw a belt at an inconvenient time. For instance, if you're letting your elderly mother drive, you wouldn't want the power steering to fail mid-corner and wind up with an overheated engine because she won't know wtf is going on or what to do about it.

i change mine every 45k miles, due to heavy loads on my engine (trackdays)
75k is helluvalot, maybe US belts are something another, but jdm cars chage them every 60k miles (100k km)

1uz-fe vvti btw

yeah and serpentine belt every 40k also, but i know a dude who has 200k miles on it

Don't be a nigger and change it. IS300s are already rare and the last thing anyone wants is for one to die because the owner was retarded

>toyota fags like to pass on maintenance

I figured as much. It's getting changed regardless when I do my suspension and brake calipers in the next week or two.

But what in particular would cause a belt to last such a long time? Good design and materials? Low strain? I'm all ears. I've never even used any belt conditioner on it and it has always performed flawlessly.

My replacement is a Carquest belt for the old AC Delco, same with the pulley. I'm fairly certain that even if the new belt isn't quite as good as the original, the low-stress setup of the serpentine rig will have it last for ages longer.

It's a 2.2 ecotec in an '07 chevy HHR. This engine has been insanely reliable in the 5 years/70k miles I've been driving it. I'm hoping the timing chain setup is just as foolproof as the belt!

>tfw cant swap the same 500$ engine in
is300 may be rare but NA 2jzs are not

no oil baths and DD, it's all you need to have a non-cracked long-lasting belt

if the car is standing still without driving for half a year- belts are gonna be bad

Timing belt broke on my friend's GTI when we were on the interstate. It left us stranded in Irving and we found out about Irving's zero tolerance policy for cars on the side of the road. They impound abandoned cars on sight, no 24 hour warning sticker or anything. We came back with a truck to tow the GTI about an hour after it rolled to a stop and it had already been snatched.

60k is a common recommended interval, he pushed it to 65k.

OK, so waste a fuckload more time swapping out the engine (and then dealing with it again when it turns out that the "new" engine was fucked somehow from being left to rot for years) instead of spending way less time to just do maintenance at the recommended interval.

Goddamn no wonder why these old luxury cars get such a bad rep - trashy teenagers like the op actually exist. "Replace the timing belt on an interference engine every 5 years? HA forget that!"

Btw, Timing belts are not like accessory belts. You literally cannot tell how worn or aged it is just by looking at it.

you actually can, my rhd jzx90 had an old but low mileage belt and it was cracked as hell

anyway when i buy a new car i always change belts as i don't know when it was changed

it's me

See that's strange, i would imagine the friction of constant use would be degrading rather than sustaining to the rubber (?)

They are rubber aren't they? Obviously there's high strength fibers in there too. The guy at advance Auto just gave me a half used can of CRC belt conditioner and I've never used it.

Should I even use it on the new belt or is it snake oil?

I lost my last car to the timing belt slipping and the engine demolishing itself. It's one of those things that you really should just bite the bullet and change when recommended, it's cheaper than getting a whole new engine or a whole new car like I had to do...

As with tires, belts will deform if left under tension / pressure without moving for too long. The belt on my bench grinder has been on it for god knows how many years with no signs of failing anytime soon, but it's way out of round because I rarely use the bench grinder and so it wobbles and rumbles like mad (which I find entertaining)

At that point it doesn't matter because the belt should have been replaced way WAY long ago. The point here is that you do not wait until you can see signs of visual wear on a timing belt - if you get a car that's even close to the interval, you just get the whole maintenance job done and over with.

replace it. it's old as fuck.

and our cars STILL last for an eternity

>makes you think

spray it with 303 aerospace protectant

*rusts in half*

>can i skip on vital maintenance?

this is why i dont buy used cars.

Generally well shielded from the environments, not too much tension ane the fact that its toothed/ribbed, meaning there is never any slip

They're also made with lasting in mind as its one of those parts that create lawsuits if they break prematurely

OP here, I'm not opposed to replacing the belt but it's pretty a pretty advanced job with a relatively high likelihood of catastrophe, so I'm weighing the risk of leaving it against the risk of replacing it myself as I can't pay a shop to replace it.

I know it's preventative maintenance, and I know the risk of the belt breaking, but really how much of the "72 month" interval is safety versus the stealership selling a new belt plus labor?

1/2

2/2

tl;dr Should I wait until 90k or just do it now? What's less risky?

How does a failed powersteering lead to an over heating engine?

I have had 2 vehicles with busted powersteering hoses. One (a full size truck with a serpentine belt) I limped home through a mountainous region that requires three point turns in some of the switch backs. And the other I just took off the powersteering and a/c belt and drove it without powersteering for nearly a year along the same road.

now is less risky, but honestly that belt looks fine.

t.110k on my lexus belt

My first car had 10,000 miles to go before the timing belt change and it snapped.

It was about 12 years old

real question is when you gonna do that water pump

The engine has to work harder to turn the wheels.

>How much does age really affect timing belts?
Rubber becomes oxidized overtime causing dry rot. The life time of them depends highly on the environment conditions and usage

That's deep down in there too, I might as well do the belt if I'm going to change the pump or vice versa.

Also Lexus wants $280 for the pump alone wtf? The belt is $50, I can do that but the pump is deep.

Low usage if that helps, obviously, 75k in 17 years with no towing or hooliganry.

There is a lot of grime inside the timing belt cover though, that was a little worrying since it's not external road filth getting in there.

Not OP but I had my 2005 IS300s timing belt changed at ~88K miles last year. I planned to have the waterpump replaced too but the shop said it was fine and didn't change it. Toyota reliability etc

My timing belt in my mx5 was 17 years old when i bought it. I changed it because I thought after so long it had to be fucked but turns out it was in pretty good shape. Cant ever be certain, just be safe and change it if you dont have a non interference engine.

>That's deep down in there too, I might as well do the belt if I'm going to change the pump or vice versa.
they're usually done at the same time to save labor. they don't HAVE to be, but if you're getting in there already you might as well.

>Also Lexus wants $280 for the pump alone wtf?
lexuspartsnow.com/oem-lexus-water-pump.html?Make=Lexus&Model=IS300&Year=2001&Submodel=&Filter=(5=ATM)

parts cheap, labor's the bitch

Thanks m9

I'm at 88k on my belt. Pray for me man, I'm saving money for it

literal gambling, not worth it. you be that guy that tries to push it because the belt "looks" fine and you'll be that guy buying a new engine. just replace it, timing belt is nothing to fuck with.
>$200-500 repair
>$2000-3000 repair
choose

You'd be a fool not to change a 17 year old, 75k timing belt.

Those 2.2 engines are super reliable. Keep an eye on the timing chain tensioner, if that goes out replace all the guides and the chain while you're there. I had an ecotec in my old Saturn and it didnt skip a beat, there was never a point where I thought it would leave me stranded

>tfw current timing belt is 25 years old

he probably means like on an engine where the PS runs off the water pump

>I can't pay a shop to replace it.
The absolute state of poorfags... If you're living paycheck to paycheck why are you driving an old used luxury car?

yeah i agree, poor people should be driving brand new 2019 leased nissan leafs

Good thing you've got a non-interference engine, right? :^)

Lack of ICE blunder aside, that's exactly the kind of car you'd byu if your car is perceived as an appliance. Just put your pedal down and go xD.

2vz-fe
based toyota

op, you have to remove the belt to check the condition, the wear will be visible where it gets use the most (obviously). it may look fine on the outside of it where it doesnt even get touched besides the tensioner

That's not even a timing belt in your pic you fag.

a serpentine belt can last well over 100,000miles quite easily, i was working in a garage once and we had a 300tdi defender come in and the belt jumped 1 tooth on the diesel pump and still ran and was a bit smokey but it had around 275,000kms on the speedo and was the original.

it is recommended to change a belt at a certain mileage but if you go past that most times it wont hurt, they say gates serpentine belts are among the best for a car.

Umm, interference engine or no? why is no one asking this critical question?

Because it still sucks if the belt goes and you have to leave your car at the side of the road.

nice one, kiddo