ITT: Veeky Forums's opinions of car mods

Here we post modifications that you could do/ want to do/ have done to your car and then we tell you how shitty of an idea it is or not.

brake ducting from my old fog openings to cool my discs on track days

carbon fiber hoods
Ye or ner?

what the fuck
does it work well?

I suppose on a heavy set car this would be somewhat useful for the front brakes as they have the tendency to heat up quite a bit
Also with this setup you can run ordinary rotors instead of drilled and slotted as those have the chance to crack and be sent flying around your wheel wells destroying everything in its path

Depends on the vehicle and what is done to it beforehand.
If it’s a bone stock sub 200hp shitbox then you can definitely be spending your money on other things to help the vehicle go much faster much more efficiently
However if this car is modded to the max and most if not all horsepower has been squeezed out of it then I’d say go for it

ye if painted body colour

What do you think of the AE86 with a carbon hood

cooler air to the brakes certainly can't hurt. nowadays i almost never experience fade under all but the most extreme conditions (repeated 150+ mph stops). i did notice after the bbk but before the ducting one time i melted my pads and flung brake pad residue all over the inside of my wheel wells. under the same and even harsher conditions it hasnt done that since, so it definitely helps.

i had planned on routing it all the way to the inner disc but it was too cramped back there and have to get some smaller diameter hose to go the rest of the way. the car sits in storage and i only drive it once every 2 or 3 months so it's kind of fallen off my list of priorities unfortunately.

3600lbs. was getting huge fade quickly on the stock brakes, the bbk really helped out. this was much more of an incremental improvement after that. ive heard tales of cracked drilled/slotted discs but have never had issues. i probably dont push it enough to have to worry about that though.

Maybe paint them black so they don't stand out?

i kinda like that they stand out to be honest. get a lot of questions at shows.

I want to rig up a CO2 purge kit to spray my intake. I just want another theorycrafter's opinion if this would be any benefit at all. Even if its a tiny improvement Ill fab one up.

So far only done a turbo-back exhaust and a mild tune. The exhaust is about 40 lbs lighter than the OEM part though, so that was also nice.

Car is going into storage for a bit due to my job and moving but later I might look at building up the fuel system, maybe some intake plumbing, swapping out turbos, and then a tune to round it off.

I want to hook up a oxygen bottle to my throttle and up oxygen richness to about 50%. How can I do this without exploding? Inb4 NOS cucks

I want to mount some lights to this front bar, but the smallest mounting clips I could find are for bars 2-2.5 inches. This one is 1.5 inches. What could I use to make it fit? I was thinking of wrapping some kind of rubber around the bar to make it larger.

duck tape and flash lights... it would be about as quality as that vehicle. xD

XDD

Dumping my 'Meme Doors That Look Good' Folder

if it doesn't make the car objectively better. you need to kill yourself.

"winterizing" the BMW with something that isn't mud flaps but does what mud flaps do. Perhaps fender flares

*broken flashlights
Wouldn't want the car to have any resell value, keep in mind.

I kinda wanted to build something similar, using those intakes on the MX5 lip if I'm ever gonna experience fading on the track
Making an adapter in the shape of the intakes to attach a hose wouldn't bee too hard either imo

'89 mustang convertible.
400hp 302. AOD transmission with manual valve body, 3000-stall converter. Ford 9" rear end with truetrac locker, 4.30 gears, 31-spline axles.

Impractical for the street, sure, but I enjoy it.

only in combination with fibreglass and plexiglass

unless you're making a track car, as long as mods don't worsen the ability to be a DD, they are pretty okay.

but i like mods which make a car easier to live with, like upgrading to HID or LED headlights, full LED conversions for all lights, decent tyres, brake pad upgrades like EBC's greenstuff which aren't full race but better than OE.
as well as retrofits, like adding cruise control, auto lights and wipers, and boot options like a variable boot floor.
as well as recoding mods like enabling cornering lights, and being able to open the windows with the key fob.

like with my car, i've fitted nightbreaker laser bulbs, installed a dome light with map lights, and warm white LEDs, and i've ordered an auto lights kit, with coming home and leaving home