Why did cars never have dog boxes out the factory?

why did cars never have dog boxes out the factory?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UzchdzkBkzQ?t=103
youtu.be/FstXpvGzxZI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

But they did. Several cars actually

oh man how I wish 2nd and 3rd were in the same row on my carro

Because H pattern gearboxes make more sense for every day street use.

If you want to use a dogbox everyday, get a motorcycle. Or swap a motorcycle engine and transmission into a car.

that's not what he means retard

He means a sequential (like a motorcycle), not a 'dog leg'.

I've long wondered this myself. They would seem to be easier to use, and are common on race cars.

you can have dog gears on an h pattern too

Yea have fun moving 1600kg with a motorcycle engine.

A few cars did. As to why it was an issue of streetability and noise. They're a pain in the ass to drive when not in a racing setting because they're so hard to get in to gear and your transmission will be louder than your engine

that whirr is a sexy noise though

tons of minis have BMW k1300 swaps and hayabusa powered smarts are a thing in europe at least

Dog box = straight cut gears and is not mutually exclusive with H pattern (hell, you could have a dogleg dogbox)

I've never noticed motorcycle gearboxes being especially loud.

Probably because they are way smaller since they're built to bear lower amount of torque compared to cars.

While bmw and mercedes cucks are wishing they had dogboxes, while fiat put one in the 695. A dog ring. In a fucking fiat

oh. Well then our cars would sound like this all the time and i for one would hate that.

youtu.be/UzchdzkBkzQ?t=103

Abarth
not 'only a Fiat'

No
A dogbox doesn't mean straight cut, nor does it mean sequential or H-pattern.

A dogbox is a gearbox that doesn't have synchromesh rings, but indstead use dog gears to select a gear

I think this one had it, although it could have only been the race version

thats not straight cut

MR2 came with a sequential gearbox

>mercedes
mercedes does not give a fuck about gearboxes, they've always been autotragic only.
BMW has DCT which is just as fast as PDK

>Yea have fun moving 1600kg with a motorcycle engine.
with different ratios that wouldnt be a problem.

sequential has nothing to do with dog box

I don't understand how gears work: the post.

Gears aren't magic, they are still limited by your torque output. Something which bike engines produce very little of. Which means you would need very agressive gears and have to rev to 5k just to get the car moving.

Okay, sure.

>implying that isn't an unicorn
Benz has never produced a sporty car with a manual

Race cars idle at 6K, ignoramus. As long as the clutch can handle it, it will be fine.

Finally someone who knows

You realize a lot of old cars didn't have synchos, right? It's a stupid thing to have in a road car though.

If you are talking about straight cut gears, yes the m3 gtr race version did have straight cut gears and it sounded glorious

youtu.be/FstXpvGzxZI

You are a fucking idiot. Learn more before posting.

you can have helical cut dog box

or straight cut synchromesh

the two aren't exclusive

>i don't know anything the post

Because dogring engagement is noisy and abrupt, which is a big no-no for 99% of production cars out there.