/ovg/ - we love SJ edition

Previous Thread: Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have!
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Discuss driving games on Discord!
>discord.gg/hXmJrJr

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

Skinning guide with rF2-specific help:
>mega.nz/#!ygMSASyZ!ai1NXzFwq174ZmQYi3V_48eeEOCr_z4YOo9g8txxlDU

We're racing on the weekends. Check out our Google doc for more info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

dirtgame.com/leagues/league/15874/ovgwrc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornering_force
leaguegaming.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

H..hey guys I'm relatively new in this thread.. what is SJ?

this is a bit of a stretch for you but Dirt to Daytona has a really good career mode

>AC costs $100 if you want all the content
>Then slap in anywhere from $125 all the way up to $500+ for a wheel and its features
>If you want VR, another $300
>But you gotta have a good graphics card to run these unoptimized piles of shit, so that's another few hundred

I'm not paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars to play one game. You don't buy a brand new PS4 Pro just to end up using it for Bloodborne and nothing else.

best /ovg/ poster

memes aside SJ is one of the better posters seeing as hes willing to discuss video games and only gets into the past shenanigans because people bring it up if a post is even vaguely similar to his

Shadow Jovernment

put a trip on SJ, literally nobody thinks that and to even try to selfpost shit like this makes you look even dumber.

I AM SJ

SJ was the best series organizer

I mean if you buy a simulator like AC but only plan on playing it for 30 minutes at a time every 2-3 days, then yeah you could definitely argue that racing sims nickel & dime people just to get a somewhat satisfactory experience (and that's before you factor in individual driving skill). And I agree it's shitty that devs don't really make it obvious that you need a wheel for these games, instead reeling in the average punter under false pretenses. I'm with you there.

But anyone who does 5 minutes of research can see these games aren't built for casual play. They're really only created for hobbyists where this is their main "thing" they do after work. That's what I don't think you get. Sim racers aren't people who play NASCAR for an hour and then play FIFA for an hour and then play Battlefield for an hour. These are people that love car games and basically don't play anything else, and then once they get tired of driving they'll watch full IMSA races on YouTube and then jump back on the sim for more laps. And that's their entire Tuesday evening.

Before working for SMS I was on sims a minimum of 4 hours a day. Now it's more like 8 or 10. There was one morning I ran a 2hr30min endurance race, looked at the clock when I was done, and it was 1pm. Reported the bugs, jumped back in, did another one.

When you're playing one type of game THAT much, a $300 wheel is like, a purchase you don't even think about, you just do it. Same with other related purchases.

The people that get assmad over the cost or commitment just aren't into it enough. Which in that case I'd ask the obvious question of why you'd be trying to force yourself into such a niche subgenre in the first place when there are alternatives more suited to what you want (GT, Forza)

OVGWRC REMINDER

Since i decided to start making two events per week, current one will end at Sunday. From now on, there will be two events: monday-thursday mid-week one and friday-sunday weekend one. If there will be many people who finish only one of them, i'll switch back to one event per week.

Join, have fun:
dirtgame.com/leagues/league/15874/ovgwrc

i've only used my wheel for like 30 minutes in the last week but who gives a shit

>SJ posting is the way to get james to post with trip
secret lovers meme might be true

>Which in that case I'd ask the obvious question of why you'd be trying to force yourself into such a niche subgenre in the first place when there are alternatives more suited to what you want (GT, Forza)
Is there a racing general just called "Forza" or "GT" general than just simply simracing? If you try and talk about cars on an arcade general you get told to go talk to the simracers while this is what happens when you try and talk to simracers that you're not enough of a hobbyist to enjoy the genre. There is no real place to go if you're into cars but don't breathe cars and you end up in a situation where it's either play arcade racers or spend hundreds of dollars on a niche subgenre.

sorry ive almost completely forgot about our little series tomorrow. ive been playing way too much Juiced lately.

also n800 guy wtf is up are we doing the thing or no?

perhaps Veeky Forums as a place for severe autism isn't the place you should be looking for casual racing but idk

James. What are your thoughts on NASCAR Heat 2. Is it worth it for a bit if offline fun at the price and how would you rate wheel support? I enjoyed the interview with NewWorld the other day, too.

>These are people that love car games and basically don't play anything else, and then once they get tired of driving they'll watch full IMSA races on YouTube and then jump back on the sim for more laps
thats actually ironically autistic

>yet again not understanding the difference between a simulator and a competitive game
there are people who play nothing but CS:GO, and when they're done playing, they will watch streams and YouTube movies of CS:GO. doesn't that make CS:GO a simulator by your definition?

there are people who watch football all the time. then they will go and play FIFA or PES, and occasionally go outdoors to play real football, possibly even in an actual league. doesn't that make FIFA a simulator by your definition?

Imagine if similar circumstances could be caused by different things?

elaborate

>inb4 bcuz sims are hard coar and fifa is dum and casual

Posting in a James thread

People obsess over things. Some people obsess over simulators. That does not mean that everything anyone obsesses over is a simulator.

Naw, it's a good topic to discuss especially for lurkers who just come here for the occasional slice of info.

>Is there a racing general just called "Forza" or "GT" general than just simply simracing?

Reddit has r/GranTurismo & r/Forza which are both extremely active and not turbo autistic. r/GT puts me off because of all the photofags/liveryfags/memefags taking precedence over even the most casual of racing but this is basically what you're looking for.

A lot of people use autism as a synonym for passion. One of my best friends is the same way with hockey and the EA Sports NHL games. He'll drop everything to watch Devils' games on GameCenter Live, then pull all-nighters on EASHL. IIRC he's like the #4 goalie in the world at the moment for team play and people fight over him all the time for their LG squad.

He's the foreman of a landscaping company and if you met him on the job you'd never know he was that much of an autist on PSN. It's just passion. By the time you're in your mid 20's you have the patience to sit down and really invest all your time into something you really love.

>"look at Dirt rally with insane amount of side force"
What did (you) mean by this?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornering_force

Also the aerodynamic force on the sides of the body (like when it's angled in midair). This was addressed in the last thread.

Heat 2 is actually really good both from a gameplay & physics standpoint, just sucks that NASCAR is in a major decline right now.

The Chevy SS was a failure in America. Dodge is out of the sport. NASCAR's most popular driver is an old man sporting an insurance company sponsorship. Rockingham is off the schedule, Bristol has been bastardized, & Kansas/Kentucky/Chicagoland are all the exact same track. The cars have too much downforce. Xfinity & Trucks are full of no-names. NASCAR is what's wrong with NASCAR Heat 2.

The interview with NewWorld was a lot of fun. He's a good guy. I was in talks with both Shaun Cole and Will Marsh to do something similar with them, but I think they got cold feet. NewWorld was just like "fuck yeah man let's do this."

You know how sprint cars have massive wings on top that basically catch the car when it's sideways so you can maintain stupid drift angles at high speeds? Codemasters artificially increased this value to make the cars slightly easier to drive. A guy on the Codemasters forum figured it out when he started hitting jumps at a certain angle and the car would curve like a baseball if you angled the side of it at a certain way.

that's my point though, it's not the player's dedication, obsession or drive for competitiveness that makes something either a simulator or arcade/casual game

simulators are still playable and enjoyable even without spending a very significant amount of time on them. some sims are even less enjoyable if you play them too often, like SHiT Rally with its repetitive stages

>Codemasters artificially increased this value to make the cars slightly easier to drive.
what a shame

So what you are saying is that the game supports a higher angle of a slide/dift because you specifically have too much grip in those situations, rather than just having the car slide off in the intended direction?
Sorry but a brainlet like me is having a hard time pinpointing what exactly is off.

Thanks man. Will check it out now for sure. Hanging for some time to spend on a racing championship. Its a shame what NASCAR are doing. Management have their heads so far up their arse. Its the same with F1 and also our Supercars here in Aus. Its a joke.

It was a really good interview and I'm surprised Will didnt get you first, he seems like a good bloke.

no
i seriously mean that that level of repetition and singular focus is textbook autism
the landscaping bit doesnt invalidate that

Forza 7, GT Sport, or PCars 2, how do they rank in comparison to each other? I already have Assetto which is more realistic than all of them, but it feels too spartan and clinical.
>physics
>force feedback
>car selection
>graphics
>tracks
>career

>last guran autismo sex series
>also the last series I'll play cause uni begins in 2 weeks

if you think something like that is autism then you're mentally retarded

honestly I'd be playing DR RIGHT NOW if it was more realistic

k den

how is this racing vidya related? It's fucking football, gb2/sp/ you dumb nigger

>racing games

no wonder james left these newfags truely are remarkable

the relation to autos is purely superficial, you might as well be using foosball characters. Also, James is a bad measure as he has shitty arguments, opinions and he literally sold out to be Ian Bells secretary/shill

THIS IS A DRIVING GAMES GENERAL

***********READ****************
rocket league is a driving game

THUS

it is on topic

You drive in PUBG

PUBG is a driving game

>the relation to autos is purely superficial, you might as well be using foosball characters.
as someone with 1000 hours of rocket league, no, being cars very directly decides how the game plays
with that said though it's not really fitting for this thread because the driving feel is pretty trash as far as car games go, it's just very good for what that game is trying to be

CS:GO has a Mercedes-Benz W123 in it

CS:GO is a driving game

Objective of the game is to put ball into the goal. It's football where the game mechanic is cars. You could replace said cars with anything and it wouldn't still be a game about driving, it's a game about football. Or some other normie sport where you chase a ball and put it into a goal.

yes PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS is a driving game and related to the auto games coalition general

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive you do not assume control of the motor vehicle thus not a driving game and not related to the auto games coalition

oh hell yeah I've been waiting to post my sick driving webms. Can we do a pubg tournament? mumble vs discord?

>tfw you would unironically join in on a pubg racing tournament

absolutely make a doc

glad to know that having hobbies and interests is autistic

Anyone remember this driving game gem? xD

is ASSetto corsa a driving game or racing game

two in bundle, hotlapping is driving game and racing is racing game
unless you race against your time alone, then hotlapping becomes racing game too

so much value compared to a smelly poo (poocars2)

no need to respond, it's obvious he has been influenced by Veeky Forums to quite an extent and is not worth the time

dont worry i'm glad you can come even for a few races

if all you do when you get home is simrace, watch racing then simrace then play rr3 on the bus to work and only can talk about racing you probably have a problem

fuck off james

>So what you are saying is that the game supports a higher angle of a slide/drift because you specifically have too much grip in those situations, rather than just having the car slide off in the intended direction?

Yep. The faster and more aggressive you drive, the more stable your car is. Which is, uh, not how real life works.

>It was a really good interview and I'm surprised Will didnt get you first, he seems like a good bloke.

Will is one of the last genuinely good dudes left in sim racing, who runs his site not for money or ulterior motives but just because he loves talking about sim racing. I offered but I think he got cold feet. He's already had run-ins with various overlords behind the scenes and publicly aligning yourself with the most radioactive person in sim racing is a bad call, so I understand why he didn't go through.

I hope you understand the difference between having a passion for something and calling it autism on Veeky Forums for a giggle, versus actual autism.

I worked with an autistic guy who repeated the "you french fried when you should have pizza'd" line from south park 3-5x per day. That dude got fired in two months. Going home after work and pulling an all-nighter on EA NHL while taking breaks to watch the game isn't autism.

>Going home after work and pulling an all-nighter on EA NHL while taking breaks to watch the game isn't autism
debatable

haha epic lets see your response to THIS ONE James hahahah

his friend might be autistic but youre just a faggot

Buddy plays LG which is like iRacing for EA Sports NHL.

leaguegaming.com/

>hurr organized online hockey is autism

No, some people just want to play hockey vidya with others who actually know proper tactics and aren't puckhogs. Plus it gives some goal to achieve instead of just mindlessly filling an XP bar over and over again in public matches.

fuck off

Name a better game

who here /carbuilding/?

Going to get my first racing wheel.

Some mom nearby is selling a Logitech Driving Force GT for $20

Is it a good deal? I'm already planning on using a sustain pedal I have as a poor man's clutch since it only has 2 pedals

>Some mom nearby is selling a Logitech Driving Force GT for $20
rip former poster. that wheel now has ghost ffb

yes, it's a good deal. you don't need clutch, use semi auto until you get g27 or something

A bunch of IRacing pros still use the DFGT

Wouldnt it be better to go for a g29?

I'm not seeing g27 for much cheaper

When it's time to upgrade get a Thrustmaster

Belt drive > gears

DFGT for $20 is a steal though

doesn't matter. g27, g29, g920, whatever else, it's all same shit

You shut the fuck up too and fuck off to your hso simdads

>joined the rally league
>mfw shittiest of shitters
o well
hopefully i git gud someday and start having fun

>buy AC from reseller/on sale for cheap
>use DLC unlocker to get everything for free
>dont buy VR
wow that was difficult

>no wonder james left
last time i checked he's still here

try having fun as a shitter

>i can't have fun unless i'm winning
kek

i try
i really try
i hadnt played for like 2 months though so thats my excuse
im enjoying rallying again after playing for a couple days and getting up to speed

Thats the same issue those games have. They are neither sim nor arcade so they dont really belong in either general.

Keep doing a good job buddy!

James covered Rocket League once when PRC was a thing.

>Fanatec fucks up
>I get the QRA I hadn't got around to adding to my order for free
>I'll keep using the Formula rim I was going to sell alongside my BMW one til April; I'm away with work a lot and on holidays between now and then anyway

Fucking score.

>try SHiT Rally
>the cars have no weight at all and he driver's hands don't follow yours
Why do people play this shit?

>Yep. The faster and more aggressive you drive, the more stable your car is. Which is, uh, not how real life works.
Okay but why do you use the term "too much side force" isn't that the force that pushes your car to the side? How does that exactly give more grip?

Also is Richard Burns Rally the only game that has good physics?

Why the fuck would someone bother making a webm of such an average play?

/ovg/ Rocket League when?

nice webm my friend, mind if i save it?

Because they haven't been rally2kpilled

>and he driver's hands don't follow yours
?

Brainlet.

he's a pad user don't worry

I never played SHiT Rally, but someone else had posted an issue with in-game wheel not aligning to the controller's one. And so, now i'm shitposting about that because this is the only way for me to have fun.

I attach modern internet meme image to the following statement, hopefully it will make it easier for you to understand my condition.

Meanwhile I'm here being sad because Australia cucked me out of the last few races ;-;

THIS TIME. I S W E A R it.

clean cache and change dns