Sub $10,000

>Sub $10,000
>Fun
>Easy to work on
>Reasonably cheap to maintain, doesn't have to be crazy reliable, but that would be nice.

Shill me a car, I already have a DD.

Hardmode: No civics, no miatas.
I'm in the southeast US.

Pic related, it's my current frontrunner.

that thing is insanely slow and i mean really slow. look into the 3.0 bmw z4's from 2003-05 they have an easier engine to work on and are pretty reliable as long as you keep up maintenance on the cooling system

>No civics
GTFO here with that shit, STFU and get one with a few simple mods

I love the z4's from that era, actually.

What's up with the cooling?

Acura Integra GSR. swap a k20 into that sucker and strip the interior

a BMW Z4 isn't reliable or cheap.

>Easy to work on
Yeah have fun working on that. Coworker had one but he had to drop the engine to do anything with it, otherwise its a PITA leaning over a shitload of car bodywork just to get in there, let alone fuck with anything.

>What's up with the cooling?
Practically the same engine as the late 90s bmw inline sixes. Cooling system is made out of cheap plastic so the whole system should be replaced every 75-80K miles or 5 years. Also the pump's pulley is made out of plastic and likes to break every so often. Most people who plan to keep their e36s just upgrade to aluminium parts & silicon hoses.

I still dont understand why anyone on this board could dislike pony cars.
OP could buy a sick teksid block cobra well below 100k miles with 10k. Love it to death and race it to death.

It also keeps your options open and there are huge communities discussing everything about them. And the combinations of modifications for them.

Oil consumption is issue with those. 10k would get you a clean and maintained WRX

A swapped Honda would check all your boxes.
MR2 isn't going to be that easy to work on.
You could probably find a good M3 E36 or a E46 330 on your budget. Heavy emphasis on good, a bad example will be a chore and a half.

>That VAF

Hey it's the same as my Mazda.

They're shitty cars. Most people on here like driving in more than straight lines too.

mr2 spyder needs almost no work to keep running
e36 and e46 will blow up and need tons of work even if they're "easier to work on"

MR2 S is as reliable but pretty slow . You can 2zz swap then later on boost it to be a poor man's Elise . Or K20 it

yep

Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, or M3

Supercharge not turbo. You can only get 5 psi boost with turbo's before needing upgraded cams and shit not to mention that the 2zz already feels slow as shit in the low rev ranges without turbo lag making it feel slower

if you're a fuckin fag

came here to post this. MR cars are among the worst to work on. i'd own a Z32 before another SW20.

986 Boxster, if you have access to a car lift.

Lexus IS200?

That would be my picks as well if he didn't go with the MR2 for the requirements he has. Still, MR2 is pretty guud frontrunner user

This

>tfw want to get one for my first car but I'm a third worlder
>don't have a big selection
>can't tell for sure if they're not overpriced
>there will 100% be something fucked with the car that I'll miss when inspecting it

Fuck I want one though.

your not finding a clean wrx for no 10k. It's gonna be rode hard and left wet for that kinda money.

>You can only get 5 psi boost with turbo's before needing upgraded cams and shit
what?

Wow faggot somehow you managed to find the one car gayer than a Miata

For real though get a sn95 mustang, you could probably find a nice cobra or Mach 1 for that much don't fall for the Memes on here the Mr2 has about as much horsepower as my lawnmower lmfao

Any mustang except 1st gen and current gen is a heaping pile of dogshit only Mexicans and rednecks would drive.

Aren't Integra GSRs thief baits?

I used to have a 1999 GSR. I never had an issue and I parked it in my driveway. I didn't live in a shitty town though

MRS owner here. I have it as a daily and track car. I have only modded suspension, light wheels, and it punches up like it aint nobodys business plus it is extremely fun to drive.

It makes for a great tuner since its potential is ridiculously high. Want to destroy M4 bimmer in straight line? Turbocharge 1zz. Want to outcorner everything? Work on driver skills, weight and suspension and you will. Want to outbrake f1 maclaren? Does it stock, baby.
MRS is quite possibly the most underrated car if you like handling. Only car that outhandles it sub 60k dollars is lotuses.

They aint call it for poor mans elise for nuttin.

Just make sure you get 6speed facelift with removed precats. Remove precats yourself or better slap in some lightweight headers.

If you consider325, 330 bimmers slow and boxters slow then yes, this is slow.

spyder is half the price of m3 if you want superb clean example and quarter if you are fine with good condition one.
Spyder completely fucking destroys all but most recent 330 bimmers in every metric other than top speed.
Bimmers are fucking slow, pigfat and corner like landbarges compared to the humble spyder.

Wrong.
1zz is plenty what with car driving on literal rails and defying physics and outbreaking almost everything.

2zz is only needed if you are shit driver or mostly drive on straight roads.
6.5 seconds to sixty sounds slow until you realize it is as fast as many cars people meme as fast.
But this one actually turns and brakes.

Why is nobody addressing the oil consumption on these MRS's?

Because it's a side effect of the precats failing and gutting those prevents it.

Is this really it, though?

Precat failure usually sends small debris into the cylinders, which fucks up the piston rings and leads to reduced compression and high oil consumption.

mine burns less oil than sw20
oil burning is largely a meme.
Get facelift if you are concerned about that.

>there are huge communities discussing everything about them
This is why. They won't feel like special snowflakes if the car is too popular.

But I assume most owners don't know this which leaves for ALOT of unhealthy engines.
I'm not OP but I've been wanting a green sw20, never heard about them consuming oil but guess it's all on mileage and neglect

But the 1zz is a shitty engine.

140hp from 1.8l car that revs to 7400 and 10:1 compression ratio that gives you emm pee geees for century.

It is plenty for a car you can easily make weigh sub ton.
2zz is better in every way.
I don\t want it yet since I havent hit 1zz potential yet at the track.

>hurr durr heres a thing
>hurrr durrr its the worst thing in the history of mankind since theres something better
retard.

More like 15
Also you do understand that superchargers add the same amount of boost as turbos right
The only difference is what makes the air get pushed

Why not the superior turbo sw20?
The mrs is decent but i'd chose an aw11 over one. Aw11 has way more style and glorious tofu driven 4A-GE.

Any honda from that era is thief bait

Z30 sc300

Because sw20 is the drag racer pigfat mr2 and aw11 is the asthetic mr2.
If you want handling and potential zzw30 is literally the only choice you have.

>prefers looks over driving characteristics
bet you stance too

>tfw have a 2zzge but it's in the wrong end of the car

Pick up a 2013 abarth for less than 10k

Pontiac GTO?

It has a LS, easy to work on, rear wheel drive, not a Camaro.

>Thinks the sw20 isn't a good handling car as well as being far faster than the mrs
>Thinks the aw11 isn't a good handling car as well as being far better looking that the mrs

Sorry it doesn't live up to the 8:30am bus.

Pros
-Cheap
-Great Handling
-Cool factor
-James May Factor

Cons(sorta)
-say goodbye to practicality
-ff layout (hardly matters since its so light)
-If you're the wrong side of 6foot its a coffin

GT86s are approaching the $10k mark

Don't even need a lift desu senpai

That is my aesthetic

You posted an NA dipshit.

A 1zz mrs is obviously going to be slower, but a turbo 2zz is miles faster in the corners than the SW20 is. The MRS is also statistically miles faster (and lighter) than the AW11.

Source: Google it like I did I ain't spoonfeeding your ass.

OH I SEE
If you swap a completely different engine in AND turbo it. Then it's faster.
Totally valid and very relevant, thanks for your input.

>completely different engine
lol no, 2zz bolts right in with very little work. No one mentioned anything about turboing it

nice to know retards like this are allowed to drive cars

You have already arrived at the correct answer.
Already an excellent car, and with some mods it's a perfect track car.

This 100%

the MRS is undoubtedly the best drivers car of all of them. AW11 and SW20 are both pigfat, and the SW20 wheelbase is too long as well.
They are all amazing cars, but for a track car, the MRS is best.

Fixing broken cars on the side of the road is your aesthetic? German cucks

>MRS + BEAMS
>SW20 + 2GR

this
DO NOT buy european unless you like breaking down every week and parts that cost almost as much as you paid for the whole car

unless it's a FWD hatch

same thing still applies but now it's soul-suckingly boring to drive to boot
stick to glorious Nippon steel

eastern eurofag here. You'd shit your pants in one of these kek
it's very common to stick 2.0l turbo Lancia engines into fiat subcompacts

>shitalian cars
will that even run long enough for a speed run?

for all the flack they get, they're solid motor builders, it just needs maintenance.

I shall always recommend the RX-8 to someone looking for a fun car. Now, you might ask, how is an RX-8 easy to maintain? It's quite simple, just follow these steps and you will have no troubles.

>Buy RX-8 with dead engine
>Buy new engine
>Put new engine in car
Now that's the hard part, but is really the best way to ensure that you don't get one that some idiot wrecked
You also now have about 5k of your budget left if you shopped wisely, use that on afewsimplemods™
Now, for the maintenance that will keep it reliable and fun to drive
>Premix 1/2 oz of 2 stroke oil per gallon of gas at every fill up, no exceptions
>Change oil every 2000 miles if you drive like a madman
>Never more than 4000 miles between oil changes under any circumstances
>Use either high quality conventional or rotary specific synthetic
Also, don't be a muppet and let it run out. It's designed to burn oil, so keep an eye on the level.
>Drive like a madman
These engines love to be raced, it gets the oil injectors working how they should, and with 2 stroke oil in the gas the more fuel you use the more lubrication the engine gets.

It has handling that can rival supercars, and with afewsimplemods™ it'll humiliate anything out there in the corners. The engine is just plain fun to run out to redline, despite being quick at best it'll put a smile on your face. The road feel and steering really make you feel connected to the car, it's a true driver's car.

As far as modability, there's a huge aftermarket, and in my experience nothing is very difficult to get to or replace. It took me one weekend with my father helping to pull the engine out, and one more to put a new one in.

Overall, there isn't really a better second fun car to own than an RX-8. With a bit of knowledge about keeping it running you'll never have reliability issues, and the whole feel of the car is so unique and enjoyable that you can't help but enjoy every drive you take in it.

I always hear about how shitty the Apex Seals were on the RX-8 and I've been wondering recently if putting in the engine from the RX-7 would work out.

You sound like some dumb boomer

The apex seals are literally a meme. They eliminated an oil injector and tuned back the OMP for emissions baloney, and that combined with non-enthusiasts getting ahold of them trashed the reputation. If you premix and get a tune you'll have an engine that'll run forever. The RX-8 is much better suited to the high end N/A MSP powerband than a boosty turbo REW torque curve. You can push about 300 whp on a renesis with a supercharger or turbo without any major modding beyond the boost device itself, any more than that and they get issues with detonation unless you run 3 billion octane fuel.

>but a turbo 2zz
>No one mentioned anything about turboing it

???

>140 hp
>revs to 7400
Fuel cutoff is around 6900, and it makes 138 hp. It also sounds like shit and has shitty oil rings from the factory in some cars (which means that if the previous owner didn't maintain it properly, you will be burning a lot of oil)

>6.5 seconds to sixty sounds slow until you realize it is as fast as an automatic rx8

FTFY

they aint calling mrs poor mans elise for nothing.
And turbo sw20\s aint shit ive already beat one in my stock mrs.

oil rings are not a problem on my car which is facelift with low miles, nor are they problem on my friends car which is early production with 250k km on it with precats it.

Nor is it a problem on vast majority of MRS'es.
Oil burning is an issue yes but it practically does not exist compared to how much retarded busriders and benchracers meme about it.
And if it burns oil, so what. Most of you retards have allready filled your mrs with bling bling full chrome 7 piece rota replicas, subwoofers, bongs and fake carbon fibre so you are going to need a 2zz to get anywhere anyway.

If you are not a retard and buy a car that is mechanically functioning and keep it light, the 1zz potential will be hindered by your shit driving not vice versa.

>hear how good mrs is
>finally has a chance to check it out
>drives like a miata except with an engine in the back

do not fall for this meme, why would you buy a miata with a shittier access to the engine and less aftermarket parts unless you are a filthy hipster?
at least snap oversteer is also a meme in case of this car

987 Boxsters are attainable at this price arnt they?

Or an S2000

Might even be worth looking at some JDM importers and see if you can afford something cool

>muh all that matters on a car is how easy it is to work on
mrs is so reliable other than mods you dont need to be in the engine bay.

unironically boxters are slower than MRS and heavier and handle worse.
They are more practical and more well built tho.

>mrs is so reliable other than mods you dont need to be in the engine bay.
the delusion, jesus christ

While true, I'm still glad what few times I needed to do repairs I had a lift. The APS was a lot easier being able to adjust the height to my exact needs while standing

Maybe if you're lucky and find a high mileage one with almost no options, the good 987s usually are more like 12-15k
I'd rather get the nicest 986 for 10k