Where to start learning about cars/car culture?

I've been thinking of getting into cars recently and am not really sure about where to start. Stuff like good starter cars for modding a little bit and general helpful starter information. Also new to the board so if there's a general thread that isn't up for this kind of thing, being directed to that thread would be cool.

lurk more

lurk moar.

Yeah, I figured that would be a way. Was just wondering about something to check out to sort of kick start the process.

lurk moar

lurk for 2 years and don't do what you posted

Watch the first 3 fast n Furious movies

Get a job as a commercial driver for AutoZone/Orielly

Buy an old shitbox and get Haynes or Chilton manual. Bonus points for factory build service repair and overhaul manuals on pdfs with control F

That's what I did anyways

>watch Initial D
>browse CL to find your dream hachislowku
>realize you are 2poor
>settle on fetishizing pop-ups
>demand ONLY RWD
>look at buying a Miata because you're a fag that's secure in your masculinity (i.e. you're a skinny dweeb with scraggly facial hair)
>post a thread on Veeky Forums about how you can't drive manual and if it's a good idea to buy a manual car without knowing how to drive manual
>get called a soyboy
>settle for swapping the wheels on your mom's old Civic with Rota Grids, drilling holes in the muffler, and shifting the auto at every stoplight while playing eurobeat
>shitpost about Corvettes and GTRs on Veeky Forums and never actually drive your car

How is driving manual difficult?

It's not, it's just an inconvenience for the 95% of people that drive their car to work, drop the kids off or go shopping.

Watch the first 3 FnF, Initial D, Wangan and read OverRev!.
Play NFS UG2. Most Wanted, TXR3 and Drift 2 and Juiced.
Lastly lurk more.
Most of the media about car culture is an exaggeration but there is some truth there and there.

10/10 advice
do this

don't forget
>dream about a low powered rwd sports car like the ae86
>but you hate the gt86/brz

Get a junker and start fixing it

This.

I bought an RX7 having never touched a spanner.

This is a stupid idea. Go for something simple as your first wrench-turning project. Fixing an old garden tractor was my first big foray into wrenching because it was simple and I basically didn't need a motor hoist to get it out (those things are only like 100lbs)

not the best idea for someone who knows nothing about cars
i would suggest to get something semi reliable and simple, like a 20 something years old car, that still will run well but sometimes will need a new part here and there

It is the best idea. You learn by doing.

Who said it is?

Funny enough there is going to be a point where both cars are going to worth the same price at some point with appreciation of the AE86 and depreciation of used GT86s.

This.

get a junker and race it

And as usual

MIATA
IS
ALWAYS
THE
ANSWER

>live in yurop
>driving school offers only manual lessons
>virtually all cars are manual
Amerisharts are generally confused by the concept of the daily manual transmission. Here even girls can operate a manual transmission daily.
The more time I spend on Veeky Forums the more I start to think that only fragile skinny soyboy's actually browse this board.

>(thing I am into) is the pinnacle of manliness

Most of the people I really respect are just good people, without an autistic interest in a specific area.

Nah, most normalfag Americans have no reason to bother with it and don't know anyone with a manual. Most Euros wouldn't bother with a manual either if they weren't driving 1.0 liter cuckboxes and had straight roads. But Euros didn't jump on the auto trend because the continent was destroyed by WW2 whereas the US just came back to a booming industry and decided that massive cars with automatic transmissions were now the luxury everyone could afford along with gigantic fucking houses and assloads of children. And they fucking did, resulting in most boomers not knowing how to drive manual, and then not teaching their kids, who didn't teach their kids.
That's the reason auto is predominant in the US, not a lack of ability. Because learning manual isn't exactly hard if you're forced to or have an interest.

Don't listen to faggots on Veeky Forums. If you want to learn about car culture, you go to local meets and start learning about your car in your spare time. Then you expand your friends group within the local car scene and broaden your knowledge to other cars once you know a great deal about your own.

Sitting on this board will only teach you how to shitpost about Corvettes.

corvette outperforms ford gt lol

Fucking kek , I was trying to think of something smartass to say because of the faggy OP pic, but THIS

It's different cultures and different attitudes to driving. America wants the car to be a car and only a fucking car, they don't want to do shit for the car, they buy the car so the car can be a fucking car and mostly shift itself without you having to worry about it - it's "safer" and more reliable, and faster.

Meanwhile Europe prefers their cars manual because it's always been manual, nothing more nothing less.

Stop spewing you're bullshit and just admit america prefers the easier option and will always prefer the easier option.

delusional

DELETE THIS

fuck this hits too close to home
t. soyboy

You fucking goober, automatics are considered a luxury and generally cost more than standart trannies. That's the reason why most cars here are el manuel.

You fucking monk

unironically watch initial D

first stage is pure kino, it will awaken your hidden racing potential

I gave you historical reasons for why America prefers what you call the easier option. It's not bullshit if it's just a fact. There are reasons for these cultural differences. Auto transmissions were luxuries prewar, ww2 happened, then post war America was affluent as balls so they bought up autos. The expansive freeway system and large, empty spaces, plus suburbs influenced the trend significantly too.

buy a car and start rippin the roads

go to car meets.
if you're in uni, see if there's a car club.
buy a car you can practice wrenching on.
bully anyone that drives a subaru for being a dyke.
go to local touge's at night and chat with the other people there.

Currently learning in a car I have no business owning. Can't sell and start smaller, not an option for where I'm going to school. Learning out of pure fear of missing classes.

this is literally most of Veeky Forums

The only reason people use autos in the UK is of they're too dumb to get a manual license, or have their left arm/leg missing.

OP, leave this shithole of an automotive form. You'll get one or two honest answers, the rest will be nonsense spewed from mouths of morons. Come back when you've done more research and worked on some stuff. Then you can joke with the rest of us.