Help Me Be A Less Shit Driver?

Okay, I attempted and failed a cross-country road trip last night. I want to become less shit before I attempt it again so I'd like a few things cleared up.

First off, how I failed. I made a thread a while back about how I was driving with paper plates set to expire soon so I tried to get it registered but Pepboys failed me on inspection because it didn't have power steering. I figured I could just try to make the trip before the plates expired. I got as far as a border checkpoint and when I had to stop there they pulled me over because apparently somewhere along the way the paper plates came right off. I let them search my car, and they let me go but told me DPS would probably pull me over if they saw me. I conferred with a couple family members, and everyone agreed I wouldn't likely make it all the way across the country with no plates, so I should come home try to get it inspected somewhere else and try again.

Second... I don't understand the speed limit. When I first started driving I always stayed under the speed limit, but everyone has told me if you do that on the highway people get angry at you. That you can't drive slowly on the highway, I was even told I'd be pulled over for staying under the speed limit. I ignored this until I saw cars going so much faster than me, and eventually gave in and started driving faster. On the trip, I found myself driving down the highway at around 140mph, and was shocked the car felt easier to control like this and that other cars were keeping pace with me and no cops were popping up. This on roads with posted limits of 75. What the fuck?

Also, I'm licensed. What the fuck is the acceleration lane? You're only supposed to stay in the right lane until you catch up with the flow of traffic? I thought highways just kind of naturally nudged you into the flow and you should just stay in the lane you needed to be in.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dYUxQPrpCsY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also, other than the plates flying off, the one problem I had during the drive was one turn on the highway I kept missing because I was expected to get all the way from the right lane to the left on a five lane highway and the cars wouldn't let me in. It took me four attempts to get onto the right lane.

Everyday we stray further and further from God

Guys?

Saved

wow.

this is the first thread i’ve seen in years that i genuinely cannot decided if this is a troll thread or not.
well done.

Thank you.

I'm completely 100% serious. Please explain to me what's retarded about it. Wouldn't you rather correct my mistakes than risk driving next to me on the road?

Take ur license and throw it in the garbage u don't belong on the road if u can't understand simple concepts.

You were not going 140mph and thinking "this is fine". I don't believe it.

>Americans

I share the road with people like this.
Also retake any and all driving courses that you can, holy moley.

wut

Holy shit

>Oh my god, you're such a complete idiot and a total danger on the road. How can you not know this? Fuck you and you shouldn't drive.
>...No, I'm not going to explain why, that would make too much sense and then I'd stop being a hypocritically retarded asshole.

>failed a cross country road trip last night
>last night
Did you get in your car, realize it had only a 1/4 tank, and then head back inside the house? I mean how do you fail driving a straight fucking line for 3000 miles?

>Help Me Be A Less Shit Driver
don't drive

>driving an improperly registered car
>doesn't know what the fuck a speed limit is
>Doesn't know what the "acceleration lane" is
There is no acceleration lane. There is a merging lane, a traveling lane, and a passing lane. Some areas have multiple of some or all. Some areas even have car-pool and bus lanes. It really isn't rocket science. It is also in your DMV handbook.

I can only assume you are very pampered because the level of stupid from your post is making me think this is bait. But then again, this is Veeky Forums, and we all have a mental disorder here. It is part of the agreement you have to accept before using the site.

But...

You are literally the reason we need to remove 85% of the drivers off the road. You have no purpose being on any public road. Ever. You have a mastery of stupidity here. And I don't mean that as a compliment, in case you got confused there.

Cut up your license, tell your family they are stupid for allowing your sheltered ass out of the bedroom, and start wrapping to scribbles on your paper on the bus. You are a danger to everyone decent on the road. Please accept this, and keep having your parents pay for your uber rides.

put your license in the shredder

140 mph...

BTW, I'm curious as to what economic class you were raised in. A poster here thinks you're pampered and that has lead to your stupidity.

>140mph in a car that isn't properly registered by someone who has clearly never driven a car int heir life
Yea? And what car did daddy buy you?

>this whole thread

Consistent hardcore speeding...

What the is wrong with you. What the fuck are you actually doing. If you make a single fucking mistake out there you're done cunt I hope you realize that.

>I found myself driving down the highway at around 140mph, and was shocked the car felt easier to control like this
I call bullshit.

also
>acceleration lane
what?

>On the trip, I found myself driving down the highway at around 140mph, and was shocked the car felt easier to control like this and that other cars were keeping pace with me and no cops were popping up. This on roads with posted limits of 75. What the fuck?
This is normal in Florida. 65 is 75, 70 means 80 and any limit higher means go flat out.
Also on the highway you should drive with traffic regardless of posted limits. If the majority of cars are overtaking you, let them pass and match the speed of the slowest car in the group. Don't accelerate to match speeds when a car is next to you and maintain safe following distance.

In the US there is no real enforcement on the purpose of the passing lane, and only a few states specifically disallow passing on the rightmost lane. You should overtake vehicles in the lane that gives you a complete shot at passing them. If there's a semi in the middle lane being overtaken by a group of cars on the left but people are being slow about it, it's fine to pass the truck on the right provided you do it quickly and with the knowledge that the trucker probably does not see you.
Do not be afraid to go full throttle and exceed the speed limit to escape a dangerous situation or maintain traffic flow. This is why cops have 9-to-20 mph allowance for speeding depending on the state and road.

You can cruise in the passing lane if you are maintaining a relatively high speed compared to other cars on the road. There's no law saying you must do this (like there is in Germany), but in general making sure you are always passing someone in the passing lane promotes traffic flow. It is not illegal to travel below the posted speed limit except on some roads in certain states, but this limit is very low -- for example, on I-85 in GA, the posted limit is 65 and the minimum is 40. In FL, it goes up to 70 and the minimum is 40. This is only there to prevent farm vehicles, scooters, and other slow vehicles from using the main highway.

Read the OP again. My paper license plates flew off the car or were removed by someone.

I've been watching a ton of "how to" videos on youtube -which for the record is actually something that was recommended here. The first I heard of an acceleration lane was in this video: youtube.com/watch?v=dYUxQPrpCsY "She was upset about people getting onto the acceleration lane and STOPPING! Which is not what you're supposed to do!"

I'm dirt poor. The car took me forever to afford and I got it off of craigslist. I've grown up as a virtual recluse, virtually everything I know to do is self-taught.

Yeah, on-ramps are go time. You should be at or near the speed of the traffic you are merging into. The closer you are to highway speed, the easier it is to merge, and always merge behind a car if you happen to be next to it as you exit the ramp, unless of course you are going faster than them.