Dual-sport bikes?

i wanna get a adventuring/touring bike. something that can i can take on camping trips and such, but also use as a daily rider around the house.
i have almost no experience with bikes on the street, mainly just smaller dirt bikes and atvs offroading. i know the basics i guess..
ive heard alot about pic related, klr 650, seems like a crowd favorite.
what would be the best dual sport for a beginner with nice street performance? say 80/20 street/dirt?

>use as a daily rider
>around the house.

white people lol.

Hammond pls

The KLR is the most streetworthy large 650 dual sport, but it's pigfat and unwieldy for casual commuting in my opinion (compared with any street bikes).

Less dual sport, but still off-road worthy bikes such as the Versys series would be better.

What street? Highway or city?

For city look for something more enduro-ish, e.g. enduro variant of sumo bikes like DRZ400, LC4E, XR650 would be more nimble.

For highway look at the bigger adventure bikes KTM 990, Africa twin, bmw funduro etc.

Basically you want this bike.

Klrs are almost exclusively dog shit. Think about how much offroading you'll do too. With WAY shorter maintenence intervals, shorter engine life, poor long distance freeway driving, awful wind resistance (lightweight + high seat height), etc. etc. dual sports are for people wanting a street legal dirtbike.

I go offroading 3x a week or more, and I still want to buy a street bike. Not to mention traveling a 100+ miles at interstate speeds on a dual sport is hell on the engine.

not ideal i guess.
whats bad about the klrs?
i dont have the time or money to invest in a street bike, i want something cheap-ish and reliable, able to make those long 100+ mile trips on the weekends.
speed and style are not important.

There are many cheap and reliable street bikes I don't know where you get your info from

The KLR is extremely slow and boring, but it's cheap and it gets the job done. It's not very good off-road and it can't cruise on the highway at high speed (100 km/h is probably the most you can do comfortably), but it's far more off-road capable than most twin cylinder 1000cc+ ADV bikes and much cheaper. I don't think there's much point in bikes like the V-strom or Versys, an ADV bike should at minimum have good suspension travel, wire spoke wheels and vital engine components hidden away from getting bashed by rocks, otherwise you might as well get a pure street bike.

what would be a good street bike for a beginner like me?
a buddy recommended honda cb 250s and the like, but idk how great they would be for long distances

If you want to ride long distances, a Ninja 650/ER-6F would be good, it's cheap, reliable, has good wind protection and a decent amount of power for the highway without being intimidating to a beginner.

BMW 310 GS

>Cast wheels

Just replace stock wheels with spoke wheels

How much would that cost?

It's not like you need just the rim.

Can't give you the price yet, since the product still in the development

>BMW 310 GS
Anything preventing you from going with 18/20 or 18/21 wheels on this bike I wonder...

Working out why you would even consider spending that kind of money to make a poo in loo beginner bike something else

Saw a dirt bike during msf, I'm not tall enough to ride one. Chose a Suzuki naked instead

Get a tenere

How tall are you? You don’t need to be able to get both feet down (at least without luggage on).

I was really dubious on this bike before reviews came out, but it sounds like it’s a really slick well built bike with good materials for way less than you’d think. Just seems like they cheaper out on the wheels in particular in order to (likely) up sell and overcharge on a ‘real GS’ version.

Poor man's Africa Twin.

5 6 then it's my first time riding, so it would be better to have both feet touching the ground.