Bring back American straight sixes

Bring back American straight sixes

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Atlas_engine#LL8
youtube.com/watch?v=hR6sKfaBlGM
legendarycollectorcars.com/featured-vehicles/other-feature-cars/smokey-yunicks-hot-vapor-fiero-51-mpg-and-0-60-in-less-than-6-seconds-see-and-hear-it-run-in-our-exclusive-video/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they were all shit
>b-b-b-but muh 50 year old murrican engine is so reliable dood!!!!
retard

No! Lean them over!

>SOHC
SOHC engines belong in gay baby jail

I'm sure if they were made now they would be DOHC, even 8s like the coyote are DOHC on occasion

>make an 8 litre 6 cylinder that peaks at 80hp
>its so reliable bro

Idk about ford straight 6s, but the slant 6 has proved time and time again that theyre reliable and idiot proof.

>guy added 5qts of water to his oil and drove for months, engine still worked well once it was fixed.

>tfw Japan dumped straight sixes for awful sounding v6s and other shit

So, DOHC straight six.

V6s won out because of crash safety and the way designers plan out engine bays and car structure. I6s are cheaper to make and can have longer connecting rods, but no designer wants to break the mold and have to redefine car design to meet crash specs with a new design instead of just reusing specs from typical V6s

V6 won because of FWD

True, I guess it was the perfect storm that killed it off in NA, I don't have the best opinion of BMW sometimes, but I can appreciate that they held on to I6 RWD and made it work in the modern world.

I feel like an I6 vs. a V8 doesn't feel like a consolation prize in the same way as a V6 does. I'm sure it would be different if I8s were still around, but good luck meeting crash safety with that piece of metal under the hood

Why is Mercedes-Benz opting for I6's for upcoming cars if they're not willing to design their cars around them?

It's not that they're not willong, it's just that V6s became more prevalent because of the switch to FWD in the 80s, and most body platforms were designed to meet safety specs with a V6 in mind, inline designs are usually different in dimensions. In addition, designing around a V-configuration works when your higher trim cars are V8, so less difference exists between the mounting arrangemwnts. The torque and balance an I6 can deliver is usually outweighed by the cost of R&D, but if you're already making a new platform or have an existing one that can fit it, it might be worth the investment if yourlve taking your prior V6es as far as the design can go

to share parts with their v12

its gonna be a whole range of modular inline 2, 3, 4, and 6 cylinder engines that are based around the same design specifications. to save money really. the I4 being turbo and hybrid and the I6 for those who want power.

What are the Inline 2s and 3s going in?

>V6 won because fwd
>Attached picture is fwd I6 and the engine bay seems far less cluttered than a V6 fwd one
V6 has no advantages. V6 a shit

its a twinspark 3 cyl

Are you sure?

>British cars
>Ever less than four cylinders

Looks a lot like the 6 cylinder engine fitted to the Austin Princess to me.

>engine still worked well once it was fixed

thats a 6 spark 1 cylinder

I assume it meant a full bleed and new gaskets, water in oil would fuck up most engines to an irreparable state if run for a while

I dunno man.

I have run my Suzuki G16B on a leaky head gasket that leaks into cylinder #3 primarily and into the crank case a little bit.

I have had the mayonnaise on the oil filler cap for 7 years now and it it operates the same.

I top up my radiator with chlorinated tap water

That coolant path is shit. Gotta drain the cooling system to pull the cam cover. There must also be a coolant gasket or o-ring between the cam cover and head that's just waiting to fill the oil with coolant. Fucking GM couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag ffs.

Some still existed up until recently

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Atlas_engine#LL8

ford 300 i6 most reliable engine of all time

dad had a 71 valiant with a 225 slant six in it. i tried to kill it by overheating it every day to and from work, in hopes that we could put a 340 into it..fucking thing never died.

>reverse flow head
Fucking garbage

As in oil and water was drained and oil was added.

I dislike you, but you prove my point.

Inline 6s are garbage. V6 is better.

>Not even a diesel

Not close at all to being that reliable buddy.

This

Slant sixes are aesthetic as fuck

Ford 300's are difficult to kill and the AMC 4.0 isn't nothing to sneeze at either

Wrong

If inline 6s were great they'd still be common.

>

Bring back American straight eights

>BMW m30
>Internation 7.3
>Toyota 3.4v6

Do I win the reliability meme?

>so reliable
Pretty sure the claim to fame of old engines is that they are objectively easier to repair. Some people actually fix their own cars.

>not knowing about the fuel vortex/atomization

get go and stay go twit

plz no, nvr

>Fucking GM couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag ffs.

The fiberglass reinforced timing belt Pontiac designed for the Sprint 6 has been copied for every timing belt used after. Also that's not the cam cover that's the cam holder.

the slant six wouldn't die, man. but..it made about as much horsepower as a sewing machine. that's why i wanted to kill it.

pontiac was the only good thing about gm

>they held on to I6 RWD

... for now. They're already developing fast wheel drive bimmers and their best sellers are AWD Stacy-overs.

>V6 has no advantages

not true, more power for less weight, sperg more geralt-47.png

>the years with DeLorean at the helm where he'd have a crack squad of five or so engineers doing shit on the sly management specifically told him not to because fuck management

They always were the wild child- Invented the stamped steel rocker arm that basically allowed the cheap V8 to be manufactured too.

They're basically unkillable
-t seized 200 ford I found that runs perfect

One of the first to develop plastic-on-frame bodies with the Fiero too, despite GM trying to kill the project

Pontiac and olds were great
Buik made nice a body's too

Is that a pickle jar for the radiator tank

yeah
a pickle jar can be a coolant tank right?

I use a liquor bottle so why not?

/thread

Here you go yanky doodle!

4.0l straight 6 turbo!!!

Died in 2016 unfortunately

Good thread

I had a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger 2-door (small tail lights), in dark metallic green, black vinyl top. Slant Six, and a 727 for some reason.

I was given the car from a relative who lived in Phoenix, and it showed. It was on;y 10 years old when I got i, but the carpet, roofliner, etc were all turning to dust in front of my eyes. I rolled down the windows one time on the freeway and my headliner shredded. In those days Phoenix AZ was a grid of 4-way stops, six lanes across. Droning across town meant dozens of starts and stops, in 114 degrees.

I drove it 900 miles home from AZ smoking hash all the way. Once I had it home I towed a couple of my friends 4 wheel drives out of mud with the Dart.

Bring back American flatheads

What is every BMW now?

about that...

a straight six beating a v6 badly

youtube.com/watch?v=hR6sKfaBlGM

>heating up your intake stream by putting it right next to the exhaust
>making the air turn around to leave the engine rather than only taking one path
There's a reason everything uses crossflow heads now user

>400ci, 1969
>Dude bro how about we increase the stroke on the 400.
>"B-but what about the bore?"
>The
>Stroke
>"Uh sure."
And that was how the 455ci GM for 1970 was made.

excuse me

So none of my older cars have had a tank, just a hose leading to the ground (im guessing thats the overflow hose leading to the jar). Is the only reason you have that is to tell if it boils over or not?

Nah it's so it has room for the coolant to expand and contract when the engine heats up and cools down, and you don't lose any coolant when it expands. The radiator cools more efficiently when it's filled to the brim, so it's better to have the room to expand somewhere else.

I tried to come up with something negative about this car, but without lying it's impossible. Why are the L34 and A9X literally the best GM vehicles ever produced?

Looks like ill be doing that soon

just route it into some plastic countainer like a coffee tin or a bottle

Uhhuh, who even makes straight sixes nowadays apart from BMW? There was that one specialty Volvo S60 last I heard. Hardmode: N/A

Do it. It makes the cooling system work so much better. Since doing that I've had no issues of overheating, airlocks in the heater hose, or coolant being ejected from the overflow pipe. All it took to solve basically everything was a plastic water bottle. I will at some point fit a proper reservoir when I can be bothered though.

Mercedes is moving back to i6s instead of v6

Just connect a bottle to the overflow hose oooor....?

The Mopar Slant-6 was the tits! I'd get a modern one if they still made them but since they don't I will stick to the M104 inline-6 in my Mercedes C280 since its the closest contemporary block to a Slant-6

Nigga, the Chrysler Slant-6 was GOAT block. They run forever if you keep them in spark plugs

Pretty much. Although it looks and works better if you buy a coolant tank, just make sure it's a vented one not an expansion tank with its own cap. I've cable tied a water bottle but under heavy cornering some coolant can spill out of the bottle top so a proper tank is better.

Well, a Chevrolet 454 is a 427, but they replaced the 3.75 inch stroke crankshaft with a 4 inch.

Strangely enough, Buick, Olds, and Pontiac all have different bore and stoke combinations.

Olds has the shortest stroke, 3.385
Buick is middle ground with 3.900
Pontiac is the stroker at 4.210 (and strangely enough has no bore/stroke interchangeability with their any of their other V8s )

shit riggery I had previously

4.2 Vortec Straight six in my 01' Trailblazer still kickin hard. Takes 7 qts of engine oil which blew my mind as a boy ricer honda fanboy.

>heating up your intake stream by putting it right next to the exhaust
a hot engine is a happy engine look up smokey yunick's hot vapor fiero for the extreme of this

>There's a reason everything uses crossflow heads now user
yes max flow and port injection

If you take apart all the highest displacement engines from lets say 1970 they will all be different.
Gm had inner company competition back then and so all the engine designs are unique .

Atlases should have been performance engines t b h

Imagine if the Solstice had one

Basically a GM 2JZ

If hotter, less dense air was better then why does intercooled forced induction make more power than NA? Same for why everything runs on the rich (cooler, more fuel) side of AFR in open loop rather than lean (hotter, less fuel)?

I was reading
And yeah, what shocks menia that compared to the highest-trim BMW I6, the Atlas only had 8 less kW and 74 less Nm of torque than the turbocharged N54 of the same year. If only GM didn't only stick it in Envoys and Trailblazers

True but power does not equal efficiency, the more power you make with cold air the more fuel it takes to correct the A/F ratio. With a hot breathing vehicle you will get better mpgs. Eco modders use this trick all the tie to increase fuel economy.

>why does intercooled forced induction make more power than NA
Seriously? Because it's forcing more air into the engine compared to a naturally aspirated engine, it has nothing to do with intake temperatures. Funnily enough forced induction cars have higher intake temperatures than N/A because the the heat created by passing though the turbo and still make more power so your point is invalid.

max power more air fuel more pow "but" the fuel may not be completely burning the fuel being evaporated and the air being hot before combustion will insure a more complete burn its a trade off less air fuel but more efficiency

Front and back cylinders have their own header while the middle 4 share two identical headers, because consistency. At least it isn't my cylinder head... baka.

to be far the hot vapor fiero is turbocharged but i dont think he really looked into it

legendarycollectorcars.com/featured-vehicles/other-feature-cars/smokey-yunicks-hot-vapor-fiero-51-mpg-and-0-60-in-less-than-6-seconds-see-and-hear-it-run-in-our-exclusive-video/

>reading comprehension
I didn't ask how it works

Not a turbo, it's a homogenizer.

If most cars hadn't been designed for fag wheel drive we'd see I6's all over the place to this very day. Inline-6s bit the bullet since in the Big 3's push for fag wheel drive in the 1980s you find a straight-6 is too wide to fit transversely over the front axle, but a V6 can, this V6 came up and inline-6 soldiered along in base model pickup trucks, along with Mercedes Benzes and BMWs who never smoked the FWD crack like the rest of the automakers did.

>"the small turbocharger (homogenizer) serves as a one-way check valve"

Smokey always insisted it wasn't a turbo to anyone who asked and that it served a pointedly different purpose.

thats more to do with patent law then reality

it was a turbo just on a novel engine fueling concept i get it

>Smokey
And we all know he would never, ever, lie or take liberties with the rules. Straightest edge of the straight edges.

Intercooled forced induction makes more power than non-intercooled. Why, you ask? Well that’s because cold air is denser, therefore you get more O2 for the same volume of air, which means more fuel can be burned at a time, which increases power. Hot air has the opposite effect, as the temperature goes up, the air expands and gets thinner. Most n/a cars don’t need intercoolers, but fi cars do because of that extra heat you mentioned. Adding pressure also adds heat, so an intercooler is necessary to keep the air cold and dense and not fuck up the AFR.

>I feel like an I6 vs. a V8 doesn't feel like a consolation prize in the same way as a V6 does.

I feel the same way. Even if they have around the same power, its funny how the mind interprets the V6 as a downgraded V8 and the i6 as an upgraded i4.