Ripped off by dealership

This is a serious post and I really do not know about cars. I was ripped off by a dealership. Engine just died on me after 3 months of buying the car. The mechanic told me the engine number is not the original and that it might even be from a stolen car. Does anybody know how to find the original engine number that is supposed to be on my car by using the VIN?

What car,year,mileage?

Kia Forte Koupe 2013, 32,000 miles approx

Should be under warranty, call up KIA and tell em you just bought the car

It is not under warranty because of something with the computer being altered. I bought it used. That I know; they told me. But the engine about to die, of course I did not know. Even less I knew the engine was not the original. It is not on the documentation.

Of course I talked to a lawyer and we are going to sue. But if I can get this info, then there is nothing they can do. They have no defense against it. I will even call the Stolen Vehicles unit and they will confiscate the car, if that is the case.

Kia/Hyundai's power train warranty is not transferable its only good for the original owner. OP is fucked should've known better than to buy some Korean piece of shit that is held together with zip ties jb weld and fuckin bubble gum.

>buying a kia
>buying a used kia
kys.

OP here. You are so right. Shit. Can you help me on how to find this info?

Go trade it in at another dealer youll get atleast $3000 for it which is a good down payment. I hope its paid off if not you're totally screwed cause you're gonna be flipped pretty hard intp your next car. Best bet might be get into a lease finish your 3 year term and then start over without negative equity.

>didn't answer the question
>suggests selling a car with a stolen engine

The VIN should be on the engine and if it doesn't match then that prove your point

How to tell if they match? Which parts are the ones that are supposed to match?

There are like 50 vins placed all over the vehicle. There's at least one on the engine. Dunno where exactly it'll be for you

I am paying it for 5 years. I started on Aug 2017. Also, the engine is completely disassembled.

Yes, I found that. And I also have the engine number. My point is, how do I know it is not the original? What numbers should I be looking for?

I can even post the numbers here, if it helps.

Vin would match on the engine. If the engine is swapped it'll be a different VIN on it

>financing a shitty used kia for 5 years
how fucking retarded can you be?

With a possible stolen engine, but definitely not the original - according to the mechanic. I would like to know how I confirm this having the 2 numbers - VIN and engine numbers.

Numbers are completely different. There is no VIN on the engine, just the engine number.

Well, that I am, but my budget is also so tight.

If the VIN number stamped on the engine block doesn't match the VIN number on the dash, the door, the glovebox and the frame (you really only need to check one) then it is not the original engine.

Why is the engine dissassembled? At what point did the mechanic realize it wasn't original and why did you not attempt to have whatever is wrong fixed under warranty to begin with?

Anyway you're probably better off paying to have the engine fixed and just keep driving it. Used cars are sold As Is for a reason and no one is under any obligation to tell you about an engine change.

It is like a plate or something like that.

Should've paid cash for a 3k civic. You do have 3k cash on hand don't you?

It's possible the VIN was ground off and the engine repainted. Means it's stolen.

Here you go fucko

It is disassembled because I was going to repair it. Then I learned by civil law, I have 6 months of warranty - regardless. When he took out the engine, then he knew. It is a number that is very difficult to find; it is kind of hidden. Then he called me and told me about it.

He told me there is evidence it was also flooded.

I'll verify and let you know.

Do you have the rest for number 7?

I believe 7 is the production number, so 000001 would be the first car that rolled out of the factory.

Wow, they really saw you coming, didn't they?

Worst mistake I've ever made, man.

Looks like other anons beat me to most of what i was going to say so ill leave it at this: Theyre called stealerships for a reason, and people avoid them for a reason. Next time exhaust every possible option before going to a stealership.

Found it. The number for the engine year is 2014 and the car is 2013, so the mechanic is right. Now I just have to find out if it is stolen, like he suspects it is. I doubt it, though. Still, I have the 6 months by civil law, so I hope I can get my money back. Any more suggestions apart from not being so retarded when desperate for a car?

They smelled me, man. And I walked right into it.

No, I was wrong. The engine is from 2011! Talk about stealerships.

Serves you right for giving your money to gooks.

Swear to god it looked like a decent place.

Thanks for the image.

>decide you want to buy a car
>do absolutely no research into things you're considering paying lots of money for
Are you one of those people who sends money to Nigerian princes?

If I continue with this type of stupidity, that is my next step.

Good man.

I'M GOING HUNGRY, I'M GOING HUNGRY

Well, lesson learned. Wont happen again. Thanks to everybody.

My dude, you were aware the Hyundai and Kia are in the middle of a large engine recall right? Why would you buy one during that time?

They've recalled some cars, but some models are being out right ignored, and if you bought it used, even from a dealership, you get nothing. Also, you get nothing if it's over 100k miles.

Kia dealerships also will do anything to get out of warranty work.

You done fucked up. Literally sell it for whatever you can and buy something else

Cannot do that now. Engine not original (2011)! WTF

Out of curiosity, what state are you in?

FL

Have them put it back in and dump it on someone else

Yeah dude. It's definitely stolen. Or some nig replaced the origin with a cheap ass old one when the original went out. Either way, you got fucked. Florida isn't the place to be buying a used car without research.

If you can't get rid of it, and they completely fuck you over, LS swap it lol

Then I could go to jail. Will no that to someone, even if I do not get caught. And hell, even if I wanted, the engine is so fucked up it costs 1800 approx to repair it so the car can move.

Yeah, but I have six months by law, even is it is not under factory warranty. The car broke down 3 months after I bought it, and I have video with audio of the mechanic explaining the damage and showing me the car and engine. All of this is with his explicit permission on tape, so I hope this will help.

Yep. And I will never buy here another used car.

Could happen to anyone. I have never checked the engine VIN on any vehicle I've ever bought. Honestly I don't care if it's an original engine or a stolen engine, makes no difference as long as it works.

Really says something about Kia that it blows two different motors and the car's only 4 years old.

Anyway good luck OP.

Thanks, man. It really felt like knew when I tested it, and I have already owned a few cars. I did not see it coming and they saw my face of desperation for a car. Lol.

Btw, another silly but relevant question from somebody that does not know much about cars: does the engine has to be the same year as the cars model? I know it is a very stupid question, but technicalities can fuck me up again, you know.

>
>>decide you want to buy a car
>>do absolutely no research into things you're considering paying lots of money for
>Are you one of those people who sends money to Nigerian princes?

How exactly did the engine just "die"? What was wrong with it?

Something with the pistons, crankshaft, and a lot of other issues that I really do not know the names exactly. There were pieces of clutch like everywhere. The car was making a clack clack sound and lost power all of the sudden literally.

In a completely stock car, yes. If you buy a stock-engine-swapped car, it should be the same engine model at least (i.e a Gen-10 F150 should only have the 4.6 or the 5.4) and if you buy a non-stock-engine-swapped car it better have the reciept of the mechanic that did it.

>trusting a stealership

Exactly. I am supposed to know if it has a different engine, because the cops can confiscate it. It does not say it anywhere on the contract and they had to give me the documentation for that engine. The did not.

And it is used, btw.

Incorrect. The 2nd owner gets roughly halve the estimated warranty.

I'm the 2nd owner of a Hyundai Genesis Coupe and Hyundai said my warranty is up at 60k. I'm at 45k

Right, but when it does not have the original engine, it is voided automatically.

Well yes, but that's more of OPs fault than anyone elses.

Honestly, just shows that they didn't have Kia replace the engine because if they did, the warranty would still be there.

So more to the point that it is probably stolen. My guess anyway. I'm OP so I am biased. Hope I am right.

I'd report it to the police yo.

Lawyer up too.

That is what I am going to do. It would actually helped me if it is stolen. Then I could sue them and get my money back.

>I bought it used

Shut up, man.

>buying a KIA
>ever

Universal truth: don't ever buy anything KIA or Hyundai, no matter what you do there will be problems.

SELL IT TO SOME NIGGERS

:^)

Why are you convinced its stolen? The original engine dies, a different one gets swapped in and then it's sold legitimately. What's the problem here?

So what does Veeky Forums suggest? private sales? What about carmax

The person that thinks it is stolen is the mechanic. He suspects it based on all details that he has seen in the car (parts, etc). He told me to go to the police on monday first thing.

So, I kind of trust his instinct. He has seen stuff before.

This. Gets the cops involved and scare the shit out of the dealership to get something back.

It's easy to criticize on the internet, but honestly, I don't see how you could have avoided this situation, short of not buying the car in the first place. Private sellers try to scam people all the time, too (dealerships suck for charging more, and trying move shitty things more frequently, but they hardly have a monopoly on trying to dump lemons on people), and it doesn't sound like the engine problems were anything you could have predicted. No one autistically checks every VIN on a car when they buy it, and some mechanical problems are impossible to see with the standard checks people do when buying used. Shit like this is the risk you take with every used car, regardless of where it comes from. Unless the dealer has a ton of bad Yelp reviews for doing this kind of thing, you couldn't have known.

The good thing for you is that it seems like the dealership actually did something illegal, so you have legal recourse. And businesses usually respond well to legal threats you can actually back up.

>car gets confiscated
>police sit on it for 3 months
>won't release it back for public sale
>send it to auction instead
>dealers and mechanics have licenses to buy at these auctions
>pick up KIA that needs new engine
>buy it for $300
>swap in stolen engine for $300
>sell it to some nu-male idiot who thinks buying a used KIA is a good idea

rinse and repeat

Yes. It is difficult not to. I just walked right into it. Lets hope it is stolen. If not, the engine is from 2 years before the car was made and they did not tell me nor gave me any documentation regarding that engine, which they are supposed to do in that case - as I have been told.

I actually want them to confiscate the car. That would be awesome for the lawsuit. They would not stand a chance.

Also, they do not change engines; they repair the one the car has. Putting a completely new engine is actually rare, for regular (most) people.

It would be great because you would not have a car and the police would tear it down for evidence and then tell you to go through insurance.

Insurance would deny your claim because they're not responsible for you buying a stolen vehicle, nor would they have insured it had they known it was stolen.

Then you can try to go through the civil suit with some nigger tier stealership who has fucked 1,000 people before and has 20 slick jew lawyers on speed dial.

Maybe you'll get the salvage value of it if you're lucky, but you'll spend more in lawyers fees that won't be awarded to you.

Your best bet, honestly, is to take these faggots to task. Break their kneecaps and absolutely scare the shit out of them. They will pay if you play on their terms. But they think you're a bitch, which is why they fucked you like a bitch.

Don't be a bitch. Break some bones.

I would win the lawsuit and they have to pay for everything, even my attorneys fees. Everything. Also damages.

And they are the ones that sold me a stolen engine, if that is the case. The numbers do not match. That helps me a lot. Also, the fact that they did not give me the documentation that has to go with along those types of cars.

>I would win the lawsuit and they have to pay for everything, even my attorneys fees. Everything. Also damages.

lol is this babby's first lawsuit? did your lawyer tell you that?

you will be sorely disappointed with the outcome of that suit, even if you win. trust me.

prove that they knew the car had a stolen engine in it

Again, if I win, they have to pay.

That is why I wrote "if it is stolen."

So, you file a lawsuit for people to buy you ice cream and not give you your money back?

Actually, it appears it is your first reading at something remotely related regarding a lawsuit. Again, file a lawsuit and they will give you ice cream if you win.

For someone stupid enough to buy a used KIA economy car you sure seem pretty smug.

Have fun getting chewed up and spit out by the courts you dipshit faggot. I hope the dealership rapes you for being such a knob.

why do you make multiple replies to the same post you fucking child

>the courts are designed to protect me from my own incompetence

You answered your own question with your own green text.

And I am in no way going to start insulting people, but that is the way it works as the lawyer told me: If we win, they pay.

you'll probably walk away with enough to buy a few ice cream cones, and that's about it

your best bet is to harass the dealership - picket outside, badmouth them on social media, call the local news and have them start a shitstorm

the courts aren't your friend, because the fact is that the shitty dealership pays a lot in taxes (they hide a lot too), but it gives them preferential treatment

you're just not worth as much, soyboy

besides, Jamal and Pajeet probably send an unmarked envelope to the local judges every month to keep in their good graces

We all make mistakes. I will not insult you back.

Now, that is a good answer. Will take it very much into consideration. Thanks.

>If we win, they pay.

Yeah that's the general concept of tort law. 10 seconds on Google could've told you that too.

WHAT they pay, and HOW MUCH they pay are the variables you need to be most concerned with. You think you're going to be awarded DAMAGES for them selling you a shitty used car? Lol get the fuck out.

You'll be lucky to recoup what you had spent on the car. Most likely, the best case scenario is you'll get the current bluebook value of that car.

Small courts don't usually award lawyer's fees, because they're not significant enough. This isn't a criminal case where you've spent $100,000 on attorneys. The awarding of legal fees is commensurate to the settlement - small payout, likely you have to eat the costs of your lawyer.

t. someone who was a party to a class action lawsuit against a restaurant, and actually won

It was a shitty and hollow victory, and took way more time and effort than it was worth.

they dont change engines, theyd just part the car out

also youre most definitely required to tell a prospective buyer if the engine has been swapped out lol

>prove they KNEW the engine was not original, and furthermore that it was STOLEN

This is why you take the car to a mechanic and they run it through an OBDII check. They can also look for signs of wear/misuse, OR if something major has been changed - like an engine.

I'm willing to bet OP didn't do this.