BMW Saves driving

This was just leaked on the BMW CCA forum holy shit

Tldr

ok what is a i1200? google has no fucking clue what it is.

BMW is building 2200lb targa with a 1200cc twin cylinder motorcycle engine, manual tranny and RWD, with electric motors up front to provide AWD when loss of traction occurs.

>googling something the leaked moments ago.

>2-cyl

Doubt it. They would have used the Mini 3-cyl or a turbo 1.6l i4.

It's this motor.

oh boy

You do realize BMW makes twin cylinder engines right?

Why would they use the GS boxer engine over the i4 of the s1000rr or 6 of the k1600?
I guess the boxer has torx tho

It states that it is an homage to this little dude, which was a flat twin

I know but a 2-cyl car sounds like a tough sell to me. Even the lightest production British kit cars use 3 and 4cyls.

specifically, this flat twin

If it has a hybrid system then presumably a good portion of the HP is coming from the electric motors when acceleration is needed.

>2 cylinder sports car

VW already beat you to it

so 2200lbs same weight as lotus elise
but 1.2l twin turbo 2cyl should make less power than 1.8l supercharged 4cyl? what gives?
t. brainlet

Rpm, the GS engine has usable "car like" power delivery even if it makes less grunt overall. 14k Rpm is fun but maintaining it in something like a car will get expensive.

Sorry, but this car is going to cost $40k. You'd have to be a liberal or a retard to buy one. But it's a cool concept.

It does make less power, but I suspect it is lighter, and there is a hybrid system which most people seem to be missing, but it's right there in the press release.

I think the idea is for it to have a "fun", naturally aspirated motor that sounds great and gives you a manual gear box to play while the electric motors provide the 0-60 speed etc.

i see sounds reasonable if that motorbike motor can rev to 15k rpm it will definitely be super fun
too bad on the road these 2000lb driving machines are death traps as soon as stacey runs a red

The big boxer isn't even getting close to 10k rpm let alone 15.
This engine is all about the low end grunt

> A FUCKING TWO CYLINDER

Just fucking stick it up your progressive fuccboi designer ass, fucking hell.

>BMW makes motorcycle engine that behaves like a car engine
>puts it in a car

I don’t see why this is confusing people

excellent

now only if it cost less than $35k

Look up the BMW 700 and 700RS. A two cylinder boxer used to be one of BMWs signature engines for cars, it’s still used in their bikes. This is not an environmental thing, it’s a heritage circle jerk.

>organically derived carbon honeycomb

It’ll be at least $60k unless they’ve revolutionized carbon fabrication

My $3000, 20 year old Miata weighs 2300 lbs and has 140 hp stock...I hope these can make at least that or else that would be embarrassing

>the i1200 is a mobility solution, rather than a driver's toy
Wtf?

That looks like the 1200 boxer from the GS bikes

BMW’s weakest EV motor makes about 125hp. The 1200cc mc engine is known to make 109. So assuming the independent electric motors are weaker, we can guess it makes about 200hp

are you retarded?

>pay $50k for a 200hp hybrid awd BMW that weighs 2200lbs
>pay $27k for a 155hp rwd na Miata that weighs 2350lbs

hmmmm

The AWD + rustproof carbon body is a game changer in some parts of the world.

It means you can own one sports car and daily it all year even if it snows like a motherfucker where you live.

What's your point?

He has Miautism.

It is. That’s the idea. The original 700 RS had a 700cc BMW boxer bike engine.

well they offer the i3 for 37.5k eurobucks (including 19% VAT)
and that has a carbon body on an aluminium frame
so it's certainly possible to make a sub 50k carbon car

but i still don't think it'll be that cheap, considering 134k for the i8
this one will probably be in the 75k range

>75k
doubt.jpg
a M2 costs $54k lol

>M2
and that's the wrong car to compare it too
you should be looking at the i range
since they won't be able to produce a carbon car in the same numbers as steel bodies
they have to artificially reduce buyer's interest by either pricing them out (i8)
or gimping the car so no one wants it (i3)
and that's what's gonna happen with this new fun machine, less power than m models to keep the turks out
and higher price to keep Veeky Forumstist miata fags out
maybe in two to three model generations they'll be able to truly mass produce carbon bodies
allowing inclusive pricing but this time hasn't come yet

>slow af Cessna
>capable of starting ramjets

;)

now this sounds pretty cool

it means it's for driving fat people round walmart

interesting leak, but lets not pretend that car isn't going to have a $70,000 price tag because BMW

This.

>sub 1-ton
>1200cc motorcycle engine
>hybrid assisted
>no power steering
>rear wheel drive
>MANNY TRANNY

although I wouldn't mind a lighter non-hybrid variant, also for simplicity's sake.

Hoping they make a rear engined four seater as well.

>rear engined four seater

While I see the appeal of the 700RS the normal 700 is basically a West German Trabamt, who wants that?

Also it would cannibalize i3 sales

not even BMW cares about the i3.
BMW claims there won't be a next gen i3

It generally means the car is small and eco-friendly enough to get into European city centers, in this case I think it means that + its practical all year round.

Sounds nice,but it’s probably going to cost an arm and a leg or be made in low number like that supercharged Yaris

>CONCEPT
It will never be built.

>2 cylinder
>sub 2000 european pounds
Is this some type of heavy bike or are they trying to make an ultra lighweight one person driver?

Never knew they made Goku's car

NICE. Id lvoe ac ar like this desu.
Want an i8 but cna't justify the expense until a few years. thIs may hold me over.

>with electric motors up front to provide AWD when loss of traction occurs.

>BMW
>high rev 2-cyl

How....retro?

pic related is starting production right now btw, developed by a swiss guy and electric

>asking this on Veeky Forums

>Rabbi Klein
>Abraham two-lastnames
>Literaly Schmucked
The absolute state of Germany

..and the chinese are already building this, an electric replica of the BMW 600.apparently has conventional doors though and costs about 400 dollaroos

... 4000, of course

That is their New Jersey based marketing team, they aren’t Germans.

What do you mean by this?

>NJ
Almost the only thing worse than Jew York. They go there because they're cheapskates and then keep complaining and ruining everything. Fuck niggers and jews. They're the worst.

looks like the hybrid will be the same from the i8 and the motorrad engine does 120 hp so we are looking at 240ish hp.

My guess is it will start at $50k.

>i8
>supercar
Still, sounds neat

It sounds like loud farts. I assume you haven't lived around any of them.

i3 is basically dead at this point. the i division as a whole may also be dead.

The i8 is now going to be a one off car like the M1. BMW is deep cutting prices on the cars that leases ended.

Purists obviously liked the car but not better than all the M cars which are all cheaper.

its almost like the 'i' brand is basically not going to be a thing and now you can get a BMW 'i performance' badge on your hybrid.

Having 27 gears in a 53-trasexual transmission keeps it in maxium farting range so you can virtue signal that it's your badge whore.

also you can get an i3 for $17k on autotrader right now. ouch.

The i brand is partly fueld by this weird religious 'green' craze in germany. I mean religious as int hese people LIVE green.

From the press release it sounds like, other than the electric motors, the i team is largely providing sundry shit like materials for the roof, etc.

Honestly I might buy an i3. I really like the interiors on them and the exterior doesn’t bother me as much as it does most people. I’ve got a BMW 2002 and a Z3 (my current daily) that will need to be retired if my commute gets any longer.

What do you like about the interior? It's all peat bog for the past 10-10 years barring a few comfy features.

Its a nice car imo. I'd get an i3 especially at the prices they exist in.

However, i dont feel strongly about the environment.

I'm sad 'i' didn't do great because atleast BMW did electric cars right.

While the fact that the materials are “sustainable” does nothing for me I’ve sat in an i3 and the natural fibers and wood are very aesthetic and comfortable imo.

So basically an i8 but smaller and lighter?

Neat I suppose. Fixes the issue I have with the i8, while keeping the electric sports car concept that I think has potential but hasn't really been done as well as it could be.

>natural fibres and wood
The absolute state of Bavarians

How about you get the fucking eyesore out of my vision?

that looks pretty neat actually

>t. never even drove out to some mountains

What the fuck are you on about?

i dont like within several hundred miles of a mountains. Maybe even a thousand. And it still looks neat

No it doesn't. What the actual fuck is wrong with you people.

>concept
no point getting excited or anything, not like you're ever gonna get to drive one

come on then, what do you think is a good car interior? I still think that looks super clean

I don't know. Maybe if you're driving in the mountains you'd want to see the road instead of the lack of 18 cup holders?

Try it sometime.

Wait, do you think that photo is an accurate representation of the visibility from the car, and not simply a photoshopped background?

you dont have a point. You are just angry at new things because you cant afford them

It's an accurate representation of the company's decisions about how to market and deign a car.

Agreed, I mean I HATE most new cars, my daily is over 20 years old even though I could afford most reasonably priced modern cars and even I think that's a nice interior.

I can afford pretty much anything short of of a show-off car. My money is best spent elsewhere, and surely not no a fakefag car that delivers shit on top of shit.

have you driven a new car?

That just chose a pleasing background you brainlet. That photo is intended to show the whole front portion of the interior because it is used to show customers what their chosen interior color scheme would look like so of course it is focused on that.

It's not a pleasing background. Show it on a real road. I'm sorry you're so deep in to Jewish brainwashing you think a post-up thing like I did in 2nd grade art class is anything an adult would want to look at.

BMWs are no longer for adults.

Yes, plenty of them, and relatively expensive ones too, not just shitboxes. While I understand the convenience features are nice and the improved safety is desirable, I just can't get over how heavy and "dead" the responses are. I prefer a really tactile driving experience. Now, if my budget was $60K+ I'd start looking hard at a Cayman or Alfa 4C because of the focus on lightweight and handling.

What's an Alfa C4 like? We generally don't get Alfas in the states, but what's it like?

>1.2L hybrid piece of shit
WOW EPICCC XDDD

i'm sorry what? the point is to show off the interior

when you say expensive, does that mean SUVs and landboats?

You can get a 4C in the US, mate, it was the car Alfa returned to the US with.

Since you asked, very minimalist and lightly built, sounds great, handles like a scalpel. Woefully impractical but gorgeous, a real return to form for the brand.

>showing off big ugly pedals in the footwell instead of the interior
Why can't marketingfags ever undrstand anything? Nobody wants to look at the footwell of an auto.

>Nobody wants to look at the footwell of an auto.
They do when it's the picture the dealership uses to show you what your choice of carpeting, seat material, and trim looks like.

thx I'll keep me eye out. I'm still wondering about a midlife crisis car.

Don't make me go outside and show you what my footwell looks like after Winter is halfway through. A dealership cleans that up to make it look like Summer sex in Italy, not wheels, pedals, and levers when there are none.