/CCG/ - Classic Car General

"He couldn't get it to start and he still wanted 12k" edition

Generic copypasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, but a vehicle really needs that certain something, to be classic.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice.

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.

>Performance > Cosmetics

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox.

>It's perfectly fine to use RTV. Ignore the haters.

>If you see rust there is probably more

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins.

Other urls found in this thread:

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/1972-plymouth-fury-iii/6490759537.html
york.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-split-bumper-camaro/6425855450.html
thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/448105-ls1-into-third-gen.html
houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-chevrolet-corvette-c4/6491652519.html
benzamotors.com/listings/1969-ford-mustang/
youtu.be/ueKN6ryDNy4
youtu.be/FFY5ftoofio
youtu.be/BYNRDDtCnLY
pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-barracuda-fastback/6429347832.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-MmT72NDtTs
youtube.com/watch?v=f91Ht0J45jc
mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-plymouth-duster/6492296784.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/1977-honda-civic/6478953737.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1978-toyota-celica-gt/6462829824.html
ebay.com/itm/440-MOPAR-ENGINE-AND-TORQUE-FLIGHT-TRANSMISSION-/263489579529
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't take out a 16k loan for your hobby, friend. Sell another car or come up with the money a different way, even NEETs can do it. Also, 5-10k is plenty money for something great

same thing I posted late in last thread
what boomer Illuminati sets muscle car prices?
some are way too expensive (mainly mopar) and others are worth nothing and didnt survive

This, I took out a small personal loan of 2k for my car rather than paying it all cash just because I preferred to keep a little more cash on hand in case of emergencies. Even with great credit and 10 years of history and through a credit union the lowest I could get was like 5% and they wouldn't accept the title as collateral. Ended up just paying it all off like 2 months later because fuck interest.

Should clarify my car wasn't 2k, i paid most of it cash and then loaned 2k out to keep 5k in my savings

Hmm, much as I like the '70 Corone, a '72 Fury might make a good alternative.... of course, they may not be any easier to find. With search tempest set to 1000 miles, all it found was this one, a wagon, and one on ebay in IL.

Doesn't seem a bad deal but I cannot go for a third thing right now. So if any of you are in the New England area...

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/1972-plymouth-fury-iii/6490759537.html

I have no idea but it pisses me off

york.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-split-bumper-camaro/6425855450.html

By comparison, my Valiant cost less than half that, and it was in perfectly driveable condition. The ONLY non-cosmetic problem it had pic related, but that was an easy fix.

Anybody have a third gen t top camaro? Gonna look at picking one up once I save up some money but want to know what I'm getting into reliability/performance wise.

Carbed or fuel injected? 5.7L or 5.0? Which transmission what rear gearing

I had an 84 t top firebird very similar car

MOPAR OR NOCAR YA FUCKIN MILLENNIAL
*crashes economy*

Jesus Christ and it's a second gen holy delusional boomer Batman

Not sure, essentially want to swap a 5.3 out of a Silverado or something similar and t56 from a 4th gen camaro so guess it doesn't matter.

there's not a whole lot of performance you can get from the 305s, but if you're swapping the drivetrain it doesn't matter. they're decent handling cars for dirt cheap and look pretty damn good imo. interiors tend to be trashed and wiring is probably butchered so look out for that

Lol then what fuck are you asking? Aight well the chassis itself is pretty fucking tits. Some dude wrote a entire book about how the third gen suspension steering and chassis was eons better than the second gen so it makes a good GT car. Tons of aftermarket too I'm sure a 5.3 swap would be super simple but I've never done one myself so can't be sure. They have loads of parts available including shortened and lengthened driveshaft so a t56 should go in pretty smooth too. Giant online community and forums. T-tops leaking is a meme the seal are easy to get and replace. How were u gonna handle ignition and fuel?

>the third gen suspension steering and chassis was eons better than the second gen so it makes a good GT car
my beat to shit 84 with original suspension cruises at 120 like it's nothing. i expected it to shake like a bitch past 80 but i guess they did something right with these cars

Did some digging and looks like you can use a 4th gen tank/pump you just have to modify or replace the fuel lines and as for ignition, lots of splicing.

thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/448105-ls1-into-third-gen.html

for half the cost and hassle of doing that you could build a 400 sbc that'd put out as much power if not more

I was hitting 135 in mine occasionally gliding like scissors on wrapping paper. My second gen is a boat

Something to consider too, or shit stroke that 400 and it'll bolt in too and forced induction and you'll be king of the trailer park

Here's my blood, sweat and tears. 1965 Pontiac Bonneville convertible. Been owned for a few generations in my family, I'm the 4th one to now own it, because I put the work in to fix it up and make it road worthy again. Luckily, my father decided to store it away in a garage on some property we own since the 1980's after the registration was up and he didn't want to pay it. So, it was kept away from a lot of the elements for those years. Most of what you see is original on the car. I'd be happy to provide more photos for your viewing pleasure/ answer questions.

beautiful. what's the inside look like?

Wouldn't a 400 have shit gas mileage compared to an ls?

I know this isn't the best photo, but I'll post a few. The interior is all original, minus the arm rests, the original ones had apparently needed reupholstered sometime in it's life before I was born, so it was done with some off color material. We ended up getting new arm rests for the doors, and that's about it. It was mostly just chrome polishing, dusting and carpet cleaning that needed to be done to the interior.

damn that's nice for 50 years old. dig the color too

The bench seats themselves are pretty nice too in their condition. Made of a two-toned aqua naugahyde. The rear bench is almost mint in it's condition. The front seat is showing it's wear, mostly on the passenger side where it developed a hole where a section of stitching ripped, we patched it but it opened up again. Not the biggest problem we need to solve with it at the moment, so we'll leave it be until I can figure out something.
Thanks man! I appreciate it.

Here's my shit box bike hauler. Soon to be 70's cruising van.

Absolutely love it. Building a shaggin wagon of my own is definitely a bucket list item.

Listed my Corvette for sale today; I just don't need it and it's too new for my taste.

Link?

I'd like to see how a pro does s listing for a classic

It's not my best work; as, the weather wasn't cooperative for pics, and I'll gladly take suggestions.

houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-chevrolet-corvette-c4/6491652519.html

Nothing makes me rage harder than a god damn boomer who ripped a car apart then tries to sell it by advertising, "car is completely stripped and ready for restoration andassembly!" As if that was the hard part. Fucking boomers I swear.

>chad

Or it's a rusted shell but totally worth 24k cause it's an original cobra jet car and super rare!! Link related benzamotors.com/listings/1969-ford-mustang/ fucking boomers think just because the car was originally high end in its day that it's worth twice as much now because muh super rare classic, even though it's not worth it's weight in scrap. Same goes with milsurp guns that are bubba'd to hell

I would buy that if I had the cash

>Ford
>high-end

Someone asked what stickers I had in the last thread.
Here they are

The most I have worked on my car in the past month was washing it.

What van is this and what year?

I forgot how much I hate Craigslist; the first guy to look at the Corvette complained that the paint has been redone on the upper half of the car and walked away instantly.

I'm asking $5,800; willing to take anything above $4,000. What do people expect?

>for half the cost
Bullshit. I did my 5.3 swap for about 1k out the door with a 4l60e trans

1987 dodge b250 ram van. Last year you could get a slant 6 and boy is it gutless. Might be getting a 318 this summer.

>for half the cost and hassle of doing that you could build a 400 sbc that'd put out as much power if not more

Dam dude into what car and where did u source the parts? Just curious I got an offer from a pro speed shop to LS1 swap my camaro with a munci3 5 speed for 12k. But that included all new computer ignition and fuel plus taking it to California air resources board for a new vin and making it all smog legal

>Im having a fucking crisis. I want to find a 1960s coupe from the ford group. With a v8. Can even be auto. But l dont know what the fuck to get.

>I keep finding these absolutely beautiful bullet birds and cougars.
>But what the fuck is a good price. I keep seeing 8-16k between them.

>Then what the fuck am l gonna do to get 16k of old car loan to pop up.
>Penfed denied me for having only 3 years of credit history.
>Ahhh l dont want a pos modern car anymore!
My fucking teksid block cobra is such a fucking chore to wrench on.

There are some cheap Galaxies but they're usually a project.

>car comes up
>its close but not the particular one you want

Guys are building turbo LS cars with a little under 5k in.

youtu.be/ueKN6ryDNy4

youtu.be/FFY5ftoofio

youtu.be/BYNRDDtCnLY

How'd you come up with the value?

Sloppy mechanics is the shit

Local CL combined with Hagerty estimates.

>Ls swaps

I bought a wrecked donor truck for 2.8k sold off parts till im at a $400 balance on the truck. Converted the 4wd trans to 2 wheel drive for 75. New trans mount 16, long tube headers 300. Reprogrammed ECU for 100. motor mounts 120. Shaved the truck intake for free and crammed it under the hood. Cheaper than the engine alone for the 400 sbc

Yeah, you're right. I shouldn't be so hard on VW for what can be attributed to neglect.

>but your engine bay is still incredibly filthy bro, what the shit?
80% of what you see in there is dust from letting it sit for a few months. The rest of it is remnants of a leaky valve cover and a broken fuel line.

>Why not swap in a vr6 / TDi engine, box and take it to someone reputable for the standalone management?
DESU I kinda like the IDI, despite the goofiness to some of the engineering. It makes a good sound and is quite a bit of fun to drive (when it's running lol)

>it's not a mk1 GTi so is it really worth maintaining such old tech?
I probably should just sell it.

Well I'm not gonna do it obviously that was just what I was quoted. 500hp 500+ footlbs

Haven't posted in a while but here's the last picture I took of my '79 before the snow hit.

How much you pay for yours? They seem to hover around $5K+ in Quebec for a cheaper one.

Is an 84 vette really worth that much tho? Isn't the engine known for having flaws?

>blow-through carburation

Theres a 1977 Datsun B210 in my area for sale at $2500. Little bit of rust but the miles are low and CG page says it runs. How easy would this be for a first project/restoration car?

A little under $7k. Most of them near me were between $10 - $18k.

$2500 is a bit too much
i can see $500 for it

>rear u joint failure on the highway
>"well this will give me enough reason to park it and fix a few other things wrong with it"

a year later it's turned into the engine and trans pulled, completely new brake system, pulled the gas tank, pulled all exhaust, pulled front bumper, pulled driver's side fender, going with a full custom 3" exhaust, full under coating, redo the entire interior, patch, weld, bondo and paint the car, replace the front windshield, replace all weather stripping, ...dozens more shit.

it all started with fixing a u joint, then i saw rust, so i pulled that part. and "oh, while I have this part off, I might as well take this, this and this off since it's right there". and... wow, I have a disassembled car in my garage now.

At this rate I just hope I don't have to do a frame off restoration.

I never understand why people dont at least figure out why an engine wont run. This thing has been on CL since summer (same price). I really want it because i love the fast back barracudas, but there are just too many unknowns with it. Plus just way too much for it.

Forgot link
pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/d/1969-barracuda-fastback/6429347832.html

You should stop browsing cl Coastie you're gonna make yourself sick or broke.

Too late. Its one of the few things i do to keep myself from going crazy at work.

Thats actually not that bad 3k would be a better price. It appears to have all the sheet metal and the engine will run after a quick diagnosis and a radiator

I feel you. My project went from fix up some of the wiring then front disk brakes, it snowballed into an engine swap and now im at a frame off restoration

Id try trading my dart for it... but running car with perfect interior vs unknown reasons non running with a not so good interior.

Could just be a carb and radiator, could be a cracked block.

Specs? I paid 5 for mine

My firebird's got saggy headliner, and I'm seeing a lot of videos showing people reupholstering it themselves. It's basically just:
>taking off the dome lights, visor mirrors, etc
>pulling out the card/chipboard insert on the ceiling
>scraping off the old foam, laying down new headliner fabric, spraying it down with adhesive, and then trimming the sides
That seems easy enough, but I'm anxious as shit about doing anything like this. The headliner's already in pretty bad shape, both sagging, and with some holes in it, it's mainly held up by one of those headliner screw kits, and I can sort of seat that mesh they're referring to. But I'm still nervous.
Anyone ever done this before? Any words of advice from having done it?
youtube.com/watch?v=-MmT72NDtTs
youtube.com/watch?v=f91Ht0J45jc

True...i dont know how to check for it

Test

Got my front diff torn apart. Dana 44 high pinion front axle. Apparently this design has not crush sleeve. Just shims at the rear pinion bearing. Something seems weird there, though. My old rear pinion bearing slipped off like every other axle I've worked on. However, my new pinion and rear bearing seem to have a press fit. What gives?

Fuck yea 6 ton Pittsburgh jackstands

ugly dog

The motor was built up by a previous owner. It has a 400 SBC bored .030 over.

It has new connecting rods, pistons, cylinder heads from a 350 or 327, edelbrock dual plane manifold and a holley 750 double pumper. I don't know what the cam is but it is similar to a Comp 274.
The car made 350 HP and 454 lb-ft at the wheels.

She's not numbers matching but she's a QT

Sweet Rides Bros. My 68 ass magnet impala and USA guitars. Fuck the National felony league. Picture was right before the kneeling. Assholes

Nice man mine had the built 350 in it and looked like pic related. My interiors pretty nice though what's yours look like

Also
>battle of the 2nd gen f body's race when

There's quite a few of us now

My interior is bit bare. There's no headliner, no center console and for a while I didn't use the back seats.

I had the original carpet but it was pretty disgusting.

I know this has been asked a lot before but when there was no rust to deal with, how much did you guys pay for a quality paint job? I would think most of the labour hours go into prep work on older cars, but if we're just talking stripping and paint the body panels, can $1500-2000 get you quality work?

i pulled the headliner out of my firebird a few weeks ago, it's pretty much exactly how you described. i was hesitant to pull it because the foam disintegrated and was getting all over everything but it wasn't bad at all. took maybe 20 minutes to pull it

It really depends on who you go to, and what you consider quality. You can do it for $300 (less if you use different supplies), macco can do it for 1100 (for their best job), and other shops can cost you 5-10k. You might be able to find a shop thatll do a decent one for 2k, but it wont be show quality.

If anyone wants a big block mopar, this seems like a good deal for anyone who has the space and time to put it back together.

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-plymouth-duster/6492296784.html

Ive been noticing quite a few darts/dusters going up for sale in my area. Only drivable ones were 8k+.

>stock 6cyl rear end

Like, the 7.25 rear? Behind a 440 engine?That won't last...

True, but a rear end is cheaper than a 440 and a 727

Okay, that's good. I can sort of see the edges of that board they're talking about, and I have removed a piece of the trim before when using those screw kits. Thanks, user. I guess I can't make it too much worse.

IT's an '86, so it doesn't have the abominable Crossfire system the '84 had; plus, the car has 54k miles and I'm willing to come down to $4k.

A. No they aren't cheaper then a 440 and 727
B. A 7.25 will make it like 6 miles at idle speed behind a 440 before it's trash.
You can completely destroy them behind a stock 6 cylinder.

You can find an 8 3/4 rear end in almost every dodge car/truck, much easier and cheaper than a big block and trans.

dude's a national treasure

The only 8 3/4 that will fit in an A body is an A body 8 3/4 and there were a rare option to begin with. Go ahead and look at prices on ebay, they're cosmic.

Older B bodies will fit in, or with minimum alterations, any other 8 3/4 will fit with a bit of work. People were using 5" back spacing to fit fat tires.

phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/1977-honda-civic/6478953737.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/1978-toyota-celica-gt/6462829824.html

I've never given 70s Japanese cars that much thought before but these are beautiful (and cheap) enough to make me reconsider. Should I?

>Older B bodies will fit in,
Yeah and they're also rare as shit.

>a bit
A lot, there is no understating this, You're doing major modification to the rear end.

This is why Ford rear end swaps are so popular in A bodies.
You might as well just throw an 8.8 in it or a 9 inch.
Back to the original comparison:
ebay.com/itm/440-MOPAR-ENGINE-AND-TORQUE-FLIGHT-TRANSMISSION-/263489579529
440/727s are dirt cheap still.

Only if you're putting in another 7.25. (MAYBE an 8.25)

As spoonfeedme noted, A-body version is different from other vehicles. Narrower I think.

Also, the A-body version was only available to 5x4 small bolt; the year that introduced 5x5.4 big bolt was the same year they switched to the 8.25 axle. So if you wanted the BBP you'd have to mod it anyway.

I've heard you can use the 8.25 from a jeep Cherokee, but I'm not sure what sort of modding will be needed. If you do go that route, be careful, as apparently some Cherokees including ALL that have ABS) would have a Dana 35 instead.

Obviously an A body 8.25 will be the easiest "bolt right in" upgrade (driveshaft might need shortening? Not sure) if you don't wanna modify or pay for modding, but those somehow seem even harder to find than the 8.75...the only junkyard A-bodies I've seen that didn't have their rear end already gone, were all 7.25s.

*5x4.5, not 5x5.4