/fg/ - Falcom General #50

Previous thread: Best Trailsfu Edition

>Trails of Cold Steel PC out now:

store.steampowered.com/app/538680/
gog.com/game/legend_of_heroes_trails_of_cold_steel_the

>A version of the old Zero no Kiseki fan translation was leaked:

mega.nz/#!LM4Hxb5J!0LrSUQF0yPjveDVPLSSn3Xq1i_tSwvqXHIU9Rzd3fiE

Don't forget to support the games and spoiler the spoilers!

>Latest news

- Trails of Cold Steel III's on track for Japanese release on September 28th of this year, confirmed PS4 exclusive. News/article translations: gematsu.com/tag/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii

- Short CS3 TV ad: youtube.com/watch?v=NYaV_GNqyCo [Open]

- Class VII's back: imgur.com/a/Pw4Cp

- New CS III scans: imgur.com/a/YnoXU

- Trails of Cold Steel II confirmed for PC release:
gematsu.com/2017/07/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-pc-launches-august-2

- Cold Steel PC guest blogs (written by port programmer Durante, of DSFix fame):
xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/163454030210/loh-trails-of-cold-steel-pc-guest-blog-2-from
xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/163720373505/loh-trails-of-cold-steel-pc-guest-blog-3-from

- Ys Seven coming to PC, trailer/info: gematsu.com/2017/07/ys-seven-pc-first-details-trailer-screenshots

- Zwei II coming to PC via XSEED (Summer), preview stream: youtube.com/watch?v=3gVOBPNrNgU [Open]

- Tokyo Xanadu out on Vita, improved EX+ version on PS4/PC scheduled for late 2017

>Older news

- Check out these Trails FC & SC updates, re: translation improvements (xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/159288714430/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-series-localization)

- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana brought by NISA. Please complain to Falcom, not XSEED (they're upset about it too). Good Japanese grammar is extremely recommended.

Pastebin (aka music): pastebin.com/G2mswYCt

Is Stahlritter a thing in Zero/Ao, or is it just Duvalie?

The stahlritter are all there in Ao, but they're pretty easy to beat.

Calvard when?

All three show up to get bullied.

Hey hey user. Pshh come closer, i need to you something.

Unhand Crossbell from thy possession, this instant.

best couple

Crossberru*

Kurosuberu

Here you go

Oh yeah user, I'd been emulating since what, 1999? So I feel your pain to some degree
It actually kind of hurts me to think about the ZSNES netplay nightmare NOT being something everybody knows about anymore
I wouldn't say that, say, ePSXe was so bad around a decade ago, though it had some moments like that good ol' Xenogears freeze it seemed like everyone encountered until it supposedly got patched in recent years

But when I got around to Dawn of Ys I used mednafen and that worked fine
Are kids today too stupid to use mednafen? I don't know and I don't want to think about it, but hopefully a set of clear instructions would make it manageable
It's probably just the dub that would be difficult to find these days, as I don't think it was hosted on all that many sites, but we're in a turboweeb era where everybody hates the English language for little to no reason now
Shame on that front, when Legend of Xanadu's gets released soon I'll probably be the only one using it

Ehhhhhh, how nice... Being all chummy with her and all that...

That's not how Elie would react.
More cynical, stabbed Lloyd right in heart.

Too bad you aren't popular enough for cs

You shut your mouth.

>ePSXe was so bad around a decade ago, though it had some moments like that good ol' Xenogears freeze it seemed like everyone encountered until it supposedly got patched in recent years
That's pSXfin for that game (although it would still crash on the occasion)...

...or be a smart person and not play it at all cause the second disc of that game is GARBAGE. I still have no idea why people put Xenogears on a pedestal. FF7, FF9, FFT, and a bunch of other PS1 Square games were eons better. Ah well, I still rolled my eyes at that Grahf reference with Valimar in CS. Nice one, XSeed.

Elie is the most boring fucking girl in existence. And it doesn't help that she looks like a middle-aged woman in official art

Elie posting makes me want to play Zero.
She seems like a cutie.

Die scum

The only reason to like her is because of her character design. She's by far the least popular SSS member.

If you can put up with the translation quality, it's fine. Nothing super terrible, but not great either.

Also i'm posting Elie, but the Crossbell cast shines as a group. Her scenes with Lloyd are cute as fuck though.

She is a nice girl but she really is boring. People only like her cause boobs/fanservice scenes and an irrational need for canon romance.

Zwei 2 when? I was kinda hoping to finish it before ys comes out

Did they avoid the RandyxTio ship because they didn't want to retread the AgatexTita route again?

>not understanding Xenogears
oh you poor user

Now that we know the reason why it turned out that way was due to an ultimatum of "rush the second disc or end it at the first" I'm kind of glad they did it the way they did in hindsight
I found it to be an enjoyable experience all the way through just due to the way the characters and setting were written, with the only bad thing I can think of being the gear combat system- CS coming along and having giant robots that are actually fun was like a wet dream to me

>FF7, FF9, FFT
bad choices, I'll show mercy and post the correct good Square PS1 games for you:
Brave Fencer Musashi, Threads of Fate, SaGa Frontier/2, Racing Lagoon

Someone in a previous thread said that its a pretty literal translation compared to xseeds more verbose localization, but if you have at least a cursory understanding of Japanese it wouldnt really bother you.

She is plenty attractive i won't lie, but i personally like her because of her babying attitude towards the group, her handling of negotiations, and generally being another level headed part of the group, which goes well with Lloyd. Plus the minor banter she gets sometimes too, like i said, the SSS shines more as a group, rather than individuals, aside from Randy i think, he was plenty entertaining.

No need to rework the entire system. Trails isn't a super hardcore challenge series or anything. All it would really take is
-Each evaded attack reduces your evasion chance by 25% until you are hit
-After being affected by a status effect (Stat down not included), there is 3 turns of cooldown (the target's turns) before it can afflicted by the same status effect again (Including AT Delay)
-Domination, Tauros, Vermillion, and other flat damage boost quartz only work on crafts. Not S-Crafts.
-Domination doubles the delay of your boosted first attack
-The EP cost of Pandora increases as well with Rank
-Criminal increases the chance of the user being crit as well (30% at Rank 5)
-Burst Drive drastically increases the delay of both Machias and the targets after their attack
-Chrono Burst costs 100 CP along with the EP cost and prevents you from recovering EP or CP during your burst turns
-Moebius AOE items can't restore CP or EP to anyone but the main target

Feel free to contact me at any time Falcom. I have my resume ready.

Yeah yeah I've heard those things before and they sound nice but in the end it falls flat. No one really remembers any of these negotiations or minor banter. It's stuff like being molested by Shirley and anything romantic with Lloyd that people care about.

Alright guys this isn't funny anymore. Where the fuck is my keke bear? All I see here is a police dog.

Im playing xenogears now. Why is the second disk so bad?

The second disc isn't bad, people are just butthurt by the way the story is told. There's a lot of text with gameplay in between

No. If you get his HP below like 70% then the fight automatically ends.

Great poca took him. It's all because of him.

Bracers and Liberl are degenerates. The SSS is technically the police, they can't be endorsing dating minors.

because it's not a game
you just watch characters sitting in chairs explaining what happens, and then you do a really short dungeon with a boss on occasion

There really was a lot of potential, but it was too ambitious and their deadline was too close for them to do it justice
I'd say Xenogears as a whole is still pretty good, the final dungeon is neat, and at least you still have postgame sidequests to do I prefer loli Emeralda though

Welp I started it for the story, so I'd assume I wont be bothered than

The fuck is Randy doing in that picture?

feeding the cat?

Probably came back from cooking to check up on the others.

That pose does not suggest feeding a cat.

Getting ready to catch Tio's pantsu that unfortunately Lloyd won't throw.

That amount of mishy obsession is not healthy

COMFY

After what Tios been through, I would shower her with Mishy.

What are the odds we get a boss fight on top of the train while its moving?

Have you seen her room

I don't want an Ys VI remake because it's already my favorite game in the series

Seems like something Bleublanc would revel in.

100%, they know their trope.
Already did it in Ao

I want Agate to slice off the arm of a Soldat with an improved Vibro-blade.

This game is going to be the best one yet, don't @ me

You have my virginity.

It couldnt possibly be worse than Sen II.
Sen II was alright, just really terrible in select spots.

I have such a soft spot for the gallant knightly and proud ojou-sama girls.
I don't care if shes a Saber clone or whatever.

hnnnnnngh

Here's the original

I'll be gentle.

Tokyo Xanadu and Trails of Cold Steel have both sold much more than Ys VIII. Fans have made things clear: We need add Towa to Ys.

Im looking forward to more of her too, believe me.

What a stupid face.

Why do people hate Ys?

I like Ys.
Looking forward to 7 because I wasn't going to waste money on a Vita for one game.

Just memes.

cold steel is super interesting

Viscount Arseid would like to have a word with you.

It gets far more interesting later on too

I want to put my face there and take a deep whiff

>not understanding Xenogears
Why do you Xenogears fans ALWAYS resort to this strawman? Hurr durr ur 2 stupid 2 understand it lmao XD

Alright, fine. I'll take the bait.

Xenogears is ultimately about several massively overpowered characters whose conflicting goals and philosophies help shape the game's world and its fate. You have Karellen, a dude who was let down by his previous faith and believes humanity should assimilate with some biomechanical monstrosity to achieve salvation and ascend to a higher plane of being. You have Lacan (Grahf), a destitute nihilist who just wants to live to the end of the world and see everything end because he could save his fem-pope would-be girlfriend from dying. You have Id, a sadistic, sociopathic split personality of the main character formed from years of abuse who wants to end the world himself because fuck people and their shit. You have Myyah, the central AI of the previously mentioned bio-mechanical monstrosity incarnated as a woman and able to body hop from one female to the next as needed. She simply wants to revive that monstrosity's true form and go back to Earth... for some reason. And then you have Fei and Elly, the main characters who are tied to these people in more ways than one, but want to stop all four of them and allow humanity to live in peace. There, that's the main conflict and thematic focal point of Xenogears. Everything else is lore and fluff embellished by various Gnostic and psychoanalytical flavorings.

That's not why the game sucks, though. It sucks because the second disc is a poorly paced mess of cutscenes. It sucks because the battle system is boring and underdeveloped. It sucks because the dungeons are lame and not fun to explore. It sucks because there's next to no good side quests and towns and travel only serve as checkpoints in the plot. And finally, it sucks because most characters besides the ones mentioned above don't get nearly the amount of development they deserve.

You could balance Criminal by reducing the cap to about 50%. Like how Murakumo capped at +25

Weltall's backpack is so stupid looking.

I know the reason but still....

I want to eat ice cream with Renne!

>with the only bad thing I can think of being the gear combat system- CS coming along and having giant robots that are actually fun was like a wet dream to me

The funny thing was I thought the on foot combat was actually kind of fun, but you rarely get to use it since a good 70 percent of the dungeon's are Gear ones, including the entirety of the final one.

plebs who can't apprectiate good gameplay.

It was just too deep for you. And intellectual.

They ran out of time and budget so pretty much 90 percent of the second disk is characters narrating stuff they did to the player with the occasional boss battle.

They do finally knock this off at the very end so you can go back to the world map and have a regular final dungeon, although most of the areas are no longer accessible.

>It was just too deep for you. And intellectual.
I mean, to its credit, it had some good ideas, but the final product was a shoddy mess.

If you want a Squaresoft game from around the same time period, play Final Fantasy Tactics. That game was way more polished and well-executed by comparison.

Too much of a game of thrones ripoff.

Charm of a night train.

>Murakumo
>Balanced

It's the most powerful Physical MQ once you get the NG+ Ice crown, because then you can have a 95% critical ratio (50% ice crown + 10 to 15% Weapon + 10% Grand cordon + 25 % level 5 MQ) plus the base critical ratio, which should be around 5%.

And critical multiplier applies to the end damage, not the base damage. So compared to tauros, it's the difference between:

Base STR x attack modifier x buff percentage x [1 + 1,5 (taurus MQ) + 1 (domination) + 1 (revolution/waterfall)] x 1,5 (critical hit) = 6,75 times the power of a normal MQ without a crit.

While Murakumo is:

Base STR x attack modifier x buff percentage x (1 + 1 + 1) x 2,5 = 7,5 times the attack power of a normal MQ without a crit.

Without domination they are about even if tauros crits, but again murakumo can get crits 100% and it hasn't even got the delay drawback either.

Not this fag again.

>Too much of a game of thrones ripoff.
Ogre Battle came out before A Song of Ice and Fire.

Tio bullying Randy gives me life.

You're about to enter the best section in the game.

I never said that Murakumo itself was balanced. What I said was that the critical rate on Criminal was too high used Murakumo's base 25% as a reference point.

He better choose Tio_

It might be comfy, but there's a blatant downside to using a train instead of the Courageous.

You can't exactly sneak around Osborne's back when you have to use his railways, which is probably exactly why he gave it to them.

I swear he's the Grandmaster, desu.

The Star Door involving Olivert and Osborne showed that Lechter is only loosely affiliated with Osborne and that their alliance is weirdly structured for a supposed Boss/Underling thing.

He's more likely to be the 4th Anguis,
considering the manner of speech.

This is your shop today.

Her mother is right, she really is the cutest thing.

The grandmaster is a woman

Pandora makes more damage than criminal, but is offset by having more EP consumption and no delay reduction (unless it's CS1, where it's the best art MQ), while magius does even more damage than that but only at low HP. Maybe if it came without any inbuilt arts, so you'd need to use slots to place spells instead of just stat increases.

We'll definitely use Courageous again

CS3 Tita is too fucking cute. I want to give her headpats.

Took you long enough to notice.

To be fair, Agate is pretty cute too

Akatsuki right?