VW kills beetle

With the industry decline in 2 door cars VW has decided not to introduce a new VW beetle.

It will not be brought back unless it is reborn as a fully electric vehicle.

Eh, whatever. It was just a less practical Golf anyway.
If they had made a proper, modern RR beetle I would have been more interested.

It's probably better off as a full electric anyway with a decent lease deal. Anyone who's buying a new car these days is not going to be buying anything small than a boat SUV, maybe a Kia Niro on the smaller end but not a Beetle. Anyone who would be interested will never be able to afford a new car full stop, or could never justify the price with their financial considerations.

it would kind of make sense for the beetle to be EV since it was designed to be a utilitarian shitbox from the start.

i really do like the recent redesign though

It would make more sense to have an EV option on a Golf since it's way more utilitarian than a Nu Beetle.

the e golf already exists
but yes the beetle was always this weird different-looking-but-also-a-golf thing

It's pretty much a personal leisure car, but that's an ever shrinking section of the market.
I was thinking about picking up a used turbo since I'm a singlefag and don't need an overly utilitarian car, but I wonder how the cancellation will affect prices.

They killed the 2dr Golf here in the U.S., and now this?

Nice, another unique vehicles goes down the drain in favor of crossovers and bland sedans.

4 door hatches and CUVs sell better. Why do you think Mini and Fiat launched 4 door versions of their shitboxes?

Is this going to be one of those threads where Veeky Forums suddenly complains about the cancellation of a car that they previously never gave a shit about?
I bet it is.

sad really, anything that stands out is considered heinous. Welcome to mid 90s blob cars again BUT WITH SELF DRIVING BULLSHIT AND GAY INFOTAINMENT!

I love pounding my girl's 2.5, 5 speed beetle. 3rd gear just pulls all day it's fun.

Self driving bullshit won't be road ready anytime soon, calm your tits.

>fwd, front mounted engine
It wasn't a beetle anyway

I think you're wrong on that. Pretty sure it's mandatory that all new vehicles must have all these stupid 'safety' features such as anti-lane drift, auto stop/slow down, self parking, etc by 2020 (hindsight)

I'm fine with this. In fact, we can kill the entire new car industry. No one has made anything that wasn't a boring appliance in over a decade anyway.

Isn't the MG3 more or less the VW Beetle/Ole' Mini's successor?

In what country?

I forgot MG was still a company.

I don't think so

US

ok, whatever you say man

*car they actively ridiculed

Gotta source on that?

Fun car with the 2.0T DSG but as mentioned less practical than a Golf. Gotta keep an eye on the used market now

They should have killed it off 10 years ago, then thereā€™d have been buzz about reintroducing it after a break.

I think only the rear view camera is mandatory on all new cars now. The other features not yet, but I can see it happening eventually.

the old beetle was better anyway

It's a car that really only appeals to the youngest and oldest of drivers.
You know, the two segments of drivers that but the fewest new cars.

The Golf has just been the new or "better" Beetle ever since the 80's

The new redesign looks good too. Sad.