Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XusUby33ZYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=amZmtVqx1cY
editor.construct.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=XupdW1Mv9zs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

reminder to make game

It's not that you don't have time, it's that you have to MAKE TIME for it

Why aren't you working hard on your game RIGHT NOW?

3rd for /wsr/.
Someone make me a vector icon of jam, that goes with Font-Awesome style and that I can use on my web-project.

Godot logo is trash

I'm building lego robots

>Source: developer.valvesoftware.com

I'm shitposting here.

>OP is all fucked up
what the hell. what the hell is this trolling. fuck off tranny

I'm making placeholder assets.

Which I mean, is technically working on. Not really.

It's pretty bad. What's worse is not being able to change the logo of the exported executables for any project unless you use an .exe editor. That sucks.

>source in op
>twice
but why

source is not game dev

sent ;)

Yeah become an engine dev. Just look at how far it will get you!

youtube.com/watch?v=XusUby33ZYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=amZmtVqx1cY

idiot

>source is in the op
>implying this is game dev

>Post a feel good story of my slow progress in gamedev
>new thread link right above my post

RIP

wtf is that image

this enginedev is for nodevs who have no game and never have had a game and never will have a game. if you nodev you die. and enginedev is nodev. if you enginedev you die.

>terraria was made by 2-3 people in 3 months
>they basically got rich in 3 months of gamedev'ing
>your game probably doesnt even have gameplay after 3 months

Why is the OP all messed up?

Because you didn't care enough to make a new thread before 800 posts.

Who even reads the OP, nodevs just skip it to bitch in the thread anyway.

What's your dream game?

can someone PLEASE explain what the fuck is up with that

why are we letting people ruin the OP like this

who /typewriting text/ here?

>he doesn't dynamically draw each penstroke of every letter

Yea, just look how bad enginedevving results are! You can barely achive 60 fps on seamless planet-sized openworld. Ridiculous!

>not drawing each letter one pixel at a time

jesus christ. the shit you people allow in your general. i cant believe this kind of garbage is allowed to be posted at all. what a bunch of fucking niggers. fuck

>Engines
>Source

Source is not an Engine. Please delete your account.

He's a poltergeist is seems, from poltergeist pines maybe?

An ambitious, polished and finished game that gets commercial and critical praise and is a trendsetter for a couple of years.

A finished one

3D Castlevania with DMC combat that has all the nuances from both games.

loaded with open source quality

>source

is there some meme to hate source now?

What is that buzz with that nodev's "source" meme? I don't quite understand, please explain.

I think people are a little pissed the SDK for Source 2 is never coming out.

Actually sort of a bummer. Source runs pretty well, especially on lower end setups.

>Source runs pretty well
can you please fuck off, sourcefam? everyone knows tthat Unity is the only way to make a game.

I have a question about data-oriented programming versus OOP.

Lets say I have a game where there are multiple instances of an NPC, like a town guard. The guards might all share a sprite set, but would obviously have independent health and other statistics like coordinates in the world.

Would there be a really noticeable difference in performance if I decided to represent these guards as, instead of say 30 individual objects with references to static strategies and sprites, a set of 30 unique "guard" objects containing their unique information that are passed around collections ala existence-based programming depending on their state?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when it came to actually drawing these to the window, assuming I was already using buffers, there wouldn't be a difference in how expensive the drawing process, would there? (of course that wouldn't mean that actual game logic wasn't a consideration)

t. noob who should probably just write programs to test this but can't be arsed

literally just one guy spamming that shit.
the guy who posts some random screencap from source is the same guy who posts those
>really funny
replies bashing it

t: enginedev

I know you're partly joking but even if the Source 2 SDK came out I wouldn't recommend it. Hammer is a pain in the ass to use, and unless the Source 2 SDK was better I wouldn't tell anyone getting into game dev to use it.

But the engine runs so well. I wouldn't be shocked if someone has Portal 2 running at 1080p60fps on a literal toaster. And I mean LITERAL toaster.

>"Note: you will no longer be able to use the ‘Open in Unity’ functionality in the web browser version of the Asset Store after applying the workaround."

if you trust random games on the internet its your fault anyway

Lol. Of course you would say that.
>1024x768
Your """"""computer""""" is a toaster you stole from your mom. Tranny nigger retard.

When did I say 1024x768?

Triggered much? :^)

>implying source games post-ep1 engine run well

>implying source games exist
>implying source is for games

back after two weeks of being filthy nodev

new game area whoa

Nice subtle parallax on that background.

if you don't have some basic gameplay after three months, there's an issue. Or you need to stop making assets.

I really like how the smoke looks for some reason. You have a twitter or something?

>no fusion
shiggy

Stop being retarded gogem.

Fusion 3 looks bretty okay

@gugajokesss

Cute cat pic.

Cute bunny game.

>Construct 3 runs in the fucking browser
editor.construct.net/
what are they doing

What's the point of your post?

Glad I dodged that bullet by skipping the update.
A lot of shit in GM starts at 1, while other shit starts at 0, it's annoying as hell to have to check the documentation every time I use some function that returns one of multiple values. Can't wait to finish my current project and abandon GM entirely.

what if you just properly instantiated things yourself

now I can make trash games on a trash 80$ chromebook ;)

To compliment the art of a cat and the game of a bunny!

Making a 2D action platformer.
What sort of setting should my starting area be?

I don't know, man, it's your game.

Do something fun and exciting, don't do what everyone else has done.

A completely flat world with no platforms

You take that back right now, baka!

Originality is only valued by people who have nothing of value that they are capable of accomplishing, and so they must impose worth onto something that everybody has while telling themselves that only theirs is valuable.

> so they must impose worth onto something that everybody has while telling themselves that only theirs is valuable
Isn't that exactly what you're doing right now?

sounds like an excuse for all the shovelware and shitty boring games we see nowdays

>my thinking is valuable because I thought it

Thanks for all the feedback lads, it really means a lot.

My laptop is pretty small so I didn't consider screen size but its all part of the learning process for me :).

So basically instead of using the string_pos, string_copy, string_delete functions GM offers, which for some reason start at 1 instead of 0, while other functions start at 0, I should make my own functions that do the same thing and start at 0 instead?

If I'm gonna go that far, why bother using GM at all instead of SFML, Godot, MonoGame, etc. ?

Having a good set of built-in functions is not even part of something GM offers, it actually lacks a fucking lot and you will be implementing literally everything yourself if you aren't making a platformer, all other engines and even some frameworks provide much more.

It's just a retarded engine that is still popular because it was one of the first and has good documentation, but it's not good in any other way.

I agree with him. It's pretty ugly.

It's charming.

DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?

This is the only game engine logo that matters

let's take this whole simplifying thing a step further to make the logo appear friendlier to general public

No.

Kek.

How would you fix this?

Are those temp tattoos?

Look at how glossy they are, it's obvious.

It should be like Firefox.

progress

ground is now a proper terrain
also towers can do AoE damage and ive redone the arc trajectory without that stupid retarded iTween shit

Yeah I was just thinking if you're going to do ironic temp tattoos, why not go the full mile and get Dinosaur ones. That way the person fucking your ass might at least think it's cute and not just a new logo for autism.

much better, it looks cute now.

>stolen straight from the discreet logo

Is there a specific timing in gamedev for marketing or I can just make the game, release it and worry about marketing once it's all done?

>can just make the game, release it and worry about marketing once it's all done?

you need to start marketing after you think of idea and have some pics for kickstarter page

marketing is a meme and is only needed for bad games that will not spread by mouth
do you think games like Terraria,Rogue legacy or Risk of Rain had marketing campaigns? of course not

If you actually want to sell it, then you want to be making a big ol' batch of promotional bullshit and be releasing something new to show off every few weeks to all outlets, including forums and your mother's Facebook.

Jew Tip No #1: A sale is usually made after five points of contact
Jew Tip No #2: Never stop talking or showing off your product even after people tell you to stop.
Jew Tip No #3: Just straight do not take "No", "Stop" or "Get out of my house" for answer if a niggy wants some shekels.

t. used to work in sales

If by marketing you mean posting progress on twitter. Start as soon as you have a decent looking game. It doesn't even need to be final art.

Truly great games don't need marketing, they'll grow as people find it and start sharing it and then those people share it and make threads etc.

Games that are just ok probably need it though. You should "market" it as soon as you can show pictures, post in tumblr and talk to people and build a following that way.

rotated pixels vs low resolution then scaling?
i know the first method is a sin but the second one mess with the sprite and can look pretty ugly in places

You did work on your concept art today /agdg/, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=XupdW1Mv9zs

hand drawn diagonal + low res scaling

whats the point of twitter if you have 0 followers?