Car prices

What the hell is up with new car prices? Is a fully loaded GMC Sierra or F-150 really wroth $60-$70k?

It seems like you either have shit-tier Kias under $15k while everything else is up over $45k with almost no middle ground. What gives?

Buy an older truck. You aren't going to want to do truck stuff in a truck like that.

America has such an effective banking/loan system that it essentially allows people to live with zero dollars their entire life and/or also buy shit that that they can only afford over such a long period of time that they are basically dead when they are done paying it off. People really do this

high trim pickups are basically luxury SUVs with a work truck as a bonus.

My last truck. It's so nice having a truck now I don't have to worry about scuffing up when I need to haul grimy shit, rocks, building materials etc

No, not at all. Hell you can buy an F-250 at that price.

Reason they cost so god damn much with the higher trims is because automakers such as Ford, GM and FCA put so much useless tech shit in it as standard which raises the price tag. On the plus side. they depreciate kinda fast because it's a shitty domestic truck.

I think auto loans have affected car/truck prices in the same way student loans have affected tuition prices. Manufacturers know the people can get their hands on easy money so they keep jacking up the price. Why sell a cheap product when there's a market for an expensive product?

Exactly, why buy a spartan trim vehicle when you can get the luxury sport model and your monthly payment is still just $495... for 90 months.

The cheap trucks with rollup windows and only an AM/FM radio don't exist anymore. Nobody buys them and nobody wants them.
>but I would buy that $18,000 truck with no options!
yeah you're one of 6 people nationwide that would, no auto maker would go through the trouble of making that shitbox just for you when they could sell two $100,000 luxury trucks and make more profit on each than you make all year.

Who the fuck even considers buying new? Never ever have I or will I buy something new when I can buy it incredibly lightly used for a fraction of the price. There is no benefit to buying new, maybe if you finance that's cool I guess but then again JUST FINANCE THE YEAR OLD CAR FOR MUCH LESS

it's all been downhill since 1989

What I'm really waiting on is for gas to hit $4-5 a gallon again. When that was going on gas sippers were high dollar and you couldn't give away a truck. Now that gas is down everyone wants trucks again and has forgotten the past. I just bought an old Geo Tracker to get ready. It's not the highest mpg but at 25-30 it'll do.

honestly I just saw the truck bros move to diesel during the last gas crunch

Hi Tim.

I'm Randy

what if you want a new car that absolutely has no one elses semen in it?

In 2007 you could get a Silverado with a 5300lb towing capacity (realistically 3000 lbs), manual locks and windows, no a/c, 5 speed manual, and a low power 6 cylinder for around 16k in 2007 dollars.
In 2007 the most base model had a/c, power everything (I think), double the towing, automatic and a over 300hp engine. It also rides a lot nicer and is quieter. They cost around 27k.

So they've basically just stopped offering the really bare bones shit spec trucks and so has everyone else. Probably helps the reputation.

And it's not just trucks. Seems like all cars over the past 10 years or so have jumped way up in price. I get that inflation happens...but not that drastically.

Doesn't matter to me anyway. I just buy used. I try to find something 5-10 years that was driven by an old person. When/if my current car craps out on me I plan on getting a 7-12 year old Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. I routinely see some in that year range for about $4k or less with 70-80k on the odometer and driven by an old lady. No one really wants them around here so they're super cheap.

And I already have a truck. 85 C10 inherited from my grandfather. Needs a little work but extremely cheap to keep on the road and I have good memories with it. Just have to find the time to finish it.

>only 20% inflation since 2007
>msrp on a base silverado is now $28,285

>So they've basically just stopped offering the really bare bones shit spec trucks and so has everyone else. Probably helps the reputation.
Probably because the only people buying new trucks are wannabe country/redneck dudes who slap a dozen lightbars on them but don't want to give up their suburban comforts for their persona.

is this meant to be 07 vs 17?

>want to buy a truck
>only have 3k
>have no transportation
>can't go south or west to buy anything because previously mentioned lack of transportation
>every craigslist ad for a truck starts with either needs frame welded or new engine/tranny
>new trucks are even more expensive now, making people think the theirs is also appreciated in value

Either it's too new and expensive or it's old so it must be a "classic" and worth Barrett Jackson prices.

There is more demand for used vehicles than there is supply. Because of this high demand, and the fact that even shit cars are expected to reach 100,000 miles (wasn't the case as recently as the late 80s), resale values are very high. High resale means high trade value means high residual values, meaning that new car loans (trade value) and leasing programs (residual value) can offer buyers of new cars fantastic terms on a new car or truck.

This, combined with extraordinary regulatory burden means that new cars can and must demand a premium.

People will pay 70,000 for a new truck because their 5 year old truck is still worth up to 60% of what they paid for it, so someone with a nice 5 year old Chevy is actually only borrowing like $25,000 to buy that new Chevy, and he's borrowing it at 0% interest for 60 months+. If he actually had $25,000 cash, he could invest that cash and make $16,000 profit during the period of the bank loan, whereupon he can trade his new truck in on another one, and repeat.

>base model 2wd domestic trucks and SUV's were the main victims of cash for clunkers so now there isn't hardly any left
thanks obama

>new trucks are even more expensive now, making people think the theirs is also appreciated in value
No, it hasn't appreciated in value, but when there are more poor people who can't afford a $75k truck, any used truck can sell for as much as they paid for it 10 years ago because the alternative is taking the bus.

Sure is gonna feel good buying a truck when gas reaches $5 a gallon and people are desperate to get rid of it.

>Sure is gonna feel good buying a truck when gas reaches $5 a gallon and people are desperate to get rid of it.
Short of war or runaway inflation, the only way gas reaches $5 is if they add a $1.50 to the gas tax.

When a barrel of oil is worth over $80, expansion in the Bakken Region and in the Alberta Oil Sands makes sense again, and if a crude reaches $100/barrel, then fuel synthesis from Algal feed stocks starts to make sense.

And if growing petrol in algae farms begins to make sense, the price of the output of these farms can be expected to fall by 3%/year or 5%/million barrels of production capacity, with a hard floor at around $40/barrel equivalence.

And it's carbon negative! Cheap fuel forever with no guilt over global warming.

Fuck rare earth metal mining, we need algal based fuels.

quick we need to start Veeky Forums's own meme company based off algal fuels to btfo elon

Yeah, but we have a dumbass president so I'm sure he'll find a way to fuck gas prices up.

As it is gas prices here were $1.40 last year right when Trump took office. Now they're $2.40. Coincidence? Nope.

Bonus points for Bradford Built. Better not fail my brake check

You know it's true.

roll ~20% off of the msrp on pretty much any new domestic truck and thats what you can walk into the dealership buy it for

>bought '16 chevy 2500hd brand new, the msrp was $53k, paid $41k

Tacomas/4runners are the only ones where buying new is a better deal. Even if you find a used one a year old, itll still have 30k miles and only be like a grand cheaper.

No, fuck that. Gas going up will just fuck everyone else over.

Those who drive brodozer usually own diesels, and they work in the oil industry which means higher gas means more money for a bigger truck.

these trucks are getting like 20mpg now. crossovers get 30mpg. 10-15 years ago a pickup got 12mpg, v6 SUVs got 15mpg

they come with a shit ton of options now. op's truck has 4g lte internet, on star, navigation screen, sirius, keyless start, heated seats, pushbutton start, all that cylinder shit to keep mpg higher, tow technology, lane assist, smart cruise

trucks back in the day had none of this shit