Twingo buying advice

I'm in need for a sub 1k shitbox for highway commuting to my work. I'm tempted to buy myself a cute little Twingo. What is the best gen to buy? How many kms on the odometer are too mcuh?

Other urls found in this thread:

autogidas.lt/skelbimas/opel-omega-b-universalas-1997-m-0130103486.html
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/bmw-525-e39-tds-sedanas-1997-m-0130094867.html
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/volvo-v70-i-universalas-1999-m-0130096769.html
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/rover-75-sedanas-2001-m-0130097201.html
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/audi-a6-c5-universalas-1999-m-0130101233.html
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/saab-9-5-lpt-sedanas-1999-m-0130103915.html
avto.net/Ads/details.asp?ID=12814731
youtube.com/watch?v=v_Ui2pULeos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Check for rocker panel rust. Make sure the timing belt has been changed.
Best would be as new as you can find, 1996 and on got the new engines, 2000+ are slightly less of a death trap, 2001 had a minor cosmetic facelift with body color mirror covers.
People run them over 300k all the time, I wouldn't worry about mileage because they're so simple and parts are so cheap.
Get one with sunroof, either canvas or glass. Both are pretty common.

And AC or glovebox, pick only one.

>for highway commuting
>Twingo
Dude...

>And AC or glovebox, pick only one.
why?

They crammed a lot of stuff into a very small engine bay, so the (optional) AC takes up most of the available glove box space. It wouldn't fit anywhere else.

>french highway
they aren't allowed over 120 km/h a twingo will do that easiylyys

It's a mixed route. 20 minutes on a 130km/h highway and then around 10 minutes in traffic. I'm open to any better suggestions.

Oh I am not doubting it will do highway speeds, but it's the last car I'd be looking to buy if I'm mainly going to drive on the highway. It's going to be loud, not very comfortable and not very efficient. It's very fun to do even 160km/h in a 1.2 shitbox, but it gets old quick

Opel Omega
BMW E39
Volvo S70/V70
Rover 75
Audi A6
Saab 9-5
etc
etc

I think they should just hook the output from the turbo into the intake for even more compression. No exhaust until the waste gate opens.

Eh, you could easily step down a size class. Vectra, Passat, A4/80, 3-Series...
Lighter and more economical too.

>1k budget
>any of these in a running state
pick one

Sorry maybe I live in a bubble. Here's every each one of them in good condition for less than 1k:
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/opel-omega-b-universalas-1997-m-0130103486.html
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/bmw-525-e39-tds-sedanas-1997-m-0130094867.html
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/volvo-v70-i-universalas-1999-m-0130096769.html
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/rover-75-sedanas-2001-m-0130097201.html
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/audi-a6-c5-universalas-1999-m-0130101233.html
autogidas.lt/skelbimas/saab-9-5-lpt-sedanas-1999-m-0130103915.html

are you american?
because you sure can get every of these for about 1k in a running state

Not a single one of those is a hatchback. ;_;

But this one is.

and?

Ugly.

Can you rec some hatches?

Pardon my ignorance. I really thought they were more expensive than that. Apart from the Saab all can be found for avto.net/Ads/details.asp?ID=12814731

Golf, Clio, Megane, 106, 306, Leon, Corolla, Civic, 323
Most of them are pretty solid choices as long as they've been maintained properly

Punto - the 188 doesn't rust anymore since complete sealing on body, but the exhaust loves to rust like hell.
Skoda Fabia - watch out for broken window lifts, malfunction of ECU and MAF
Getz - if diesel, injectors leaking and turbo damages may occur
Yaris - don't get an Automatic. That's basically it, other than that the brake discs are gone fast(ish)
Fiesta (JH1/JD3) get the 80 PS engine, no porlbems

I'm not sure if they are in your price range, I basically just translated a guide from 2011 for good cheap hatchbacks up to 4k euros. So they should be cheaper now.

>Clio, Megane, 106, 306, 323

No thanks.

Thanks, but wouldn't consider any of those besides the punto.

> Punto

Y E S B A B Y

Forgot about the glory that is the 147. Might cost a bit more but Italian is soulful.

>beta romeo

even if it's a shitbox it's still an Alfa Romeo which for some reason has a little wow-factor
don't they break really quickly though compared to other manufacturers?

They chew through their front suspension a bit quicker than others and some engines have oil consumption issues, but other than that they're pretty solid.

Hard mode: a shitbox for 500€. Does it even exist?

Of course.
Depends on where you life.
Ex gf bought a Legacy for 400 and drove it for five years with no problem.

Italy

you should have a steady supply of sub 500eu Pandas

Many of the cars in this thread were never sold in the US. If they're over 25, they can be imported and legally driven on our roads, but assume and extra +/-$5000 in taxes (home country and tariff), de-/registration, and shipping fees.

Not necessarily worth it for a beater that parts aren't readily available and have to be imported for.

Unironically a Twingo

Some reassembly required.

How are Pandas?

dont buy a twingo if you’re planning on taking to the highway

I always imagine the fear of the twingo drivers when i pass them at 125mph

>mint condition 205 in the trash

The people responsible should be in there instead

Even more spartan than first gen Twingos and that means something.
Also, literal tincans so a bicycle crashing into you might end you.

i see good condition focus mk1s for £400 regularly
im sure its possible

asplode

I own 40kw OHV and 800€ seems pretty expensive. If you live in europe you should look for 1st generation Škoda Octavia for that amout.

solid

I could buy a Twingo for about 150 euros right now.

You live in Croatia or something?

Ouch. So it's likely something that vaporizes from rust?

The Netherlands. Which is notoriously expensive for driving cars, but that's mostly insurance, new car taxes and road taxes. Which means buying an old Twingo doesn't cost jackshit.
Right now I could get a working one for 250 (checked quickly on one site), but I've seen them for as low as 100.

yes but if you think about it: if the particular panda you might want to buy is still around in 2018 without being pulverized, it might have gotten some rust care in its past...

Aren't most of the running cheap cars over there ones that failed APK/MOT? Usually something like a cracked windshield or similar?

Some of them, but you can definitely get a working shitbox for 100-150 bucks if you pay attention. Couple of friends of mine are actually considering holding a shitbox derby because it's so cheap.

>Aren't most of the running cheap cars over there ones that failed APK/MOT?

Yes, those are the ones they use to steal poles

Failed or expired APK isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, just means it probably needs some repair job that a shop would charge the same for as the price of the actual car.
If you can fix some shit yourself there's some real bargains out there.

Pole theft??

What the hell's going on in the Netherlands?

Sounds like it's kinda like Japan where the initial cost of a car is driven into the dirt due to taxes, registration, and shakken.

here's the image with explanation

Pretty much. For more interesting stuff our prices are about in line with the US, but you can still find actual decent shitboxes for 500 eurobucks too.

Maybe a bit late but a Suzuki Swift.
Bought one earlier this week for work drive, and it is damn fun to drive

All of those cars were available as wagons. Not only can they have a hatchback, but more room then their smaller contemporaries.

Rover Streetwise 2.0TD

You're right, I need a 12MPG full bed, quad cabin pickup truck to do 30 kilometers a day.

Twingo, Fiat Panda and Uno, Ford Ka... more than you think

OP is from Italy, even if any of those cars might be cheap to get, taxes won't because they're calculated on engine power not year / current car value.
Any low-powered shitbox is virtually free in Italy tax-wise. Maintenance is also a factor: ridicule on a twingo, not so much on those luxurys

Looking at the ad for the Opel

>For sale opel omega, 4el.windows autopilot.The re-pump is not so hot and so cold.Body lotion does not scald.
>body lotion does not scald
>wat

I like my twingo, although for highways it would be nice to ear an ear protection because after a while i gets tiring (71 dB)

or if you really like the twingo like me, try to looking into car sound insulation.

and don't drive past 120km/h. Twingo form my experiences keeps an economy car until 110 or something.

I fucking want one

We aren't scared, we maybe envy you if your car is really cool. t. Twingo driver doing 90km/h in the right lane
>Get one with sunroof, either canvas or glass.
Listen to this guy.

Fuck it, buy a bicycle then. What is the point of making a thread about wanting to buy a Twingo for highway driving if you're not willing to accept the truth that a Twingo is one of the worst modern cars you can get for highway driving?

>implying we all cruise at 200 kph in the highway
Italy's speed limit on highways is 130km/h, many do a little less than that. Many Twingos were sold in the 2000 and people used them in highways without problems
Ship you amerilard ass back to your country if anything less than a landbarge is gay and insecure

>Driving with earplugs
Is that considered legal?

I've never said anything about it being gay or insecure. I drive pic related for fucks sake. A Twingo is just a shitty car to get for highway driving, what's not to understand? It's gonna be noisy and inefficient.

How well do Twingos take to tuning? I bet 250ps would wake the car up nicely.

just swap a bigger engine from a Clio

>he doesnt want 323
Youd be surprised how practical 323 is, lots of cool stuff, quirky features

Cute car

>250ps
this one has a 1.4turbo in it with close to 200hp

youtube.com/watch?v=v_Ui2pULeos

There's also an user who wants to experiment with swapping in a modern Twingo engine into an old one.
Hope he's still around and actually doing it some time.

Still here, still working and saving up and still planning to make it happen.
Even found out about a factory 120hp variant of the D4FT in the Dacia Duster, which would be a nice improvement over the 100hp of the mk2 Twingo GT version.

Dont be a faggot and buy a Mk 3 Golf.

VW Golf. The Honda Civic of Europe.

Make sure to buy it with either the 1.4 petrol if you are an absolute poorfag and cheapskate, the 1.6 petrol if you want meh performance but atleast you got reliability.
Or get the glorious 1.9 TDI in the 90 bhp version.

I see that most Mk 3 Golfs run for 600-800 euros these days

> don't be a faggot
> buy a golf
choose one

Yea. If you are Europoor, wanna buy a sturdy DD but you dont have the money nor any sort of knowledge about cars, you buy an used Golf.

If you got money and want a sturdy, plain car that will get you from A to B but you know shit about cars, you buy a Golf.

The VW Golf really is all things to all men. From the cheapskate 1.4 NA petrol to the 3.2 VR6, to the mountain climbing 4motion 1.9 TDI, the Mk3 and Mk4 Golf really had everything for everyone.

>tfw bulletproof 2.slow only came in the GTI and insuring a mk3 GTI is borderline impossible

>If you are Europoor, wanna buy a sturdy DD
>If you got money and want a sturdy, plain car that will get you from A to B
What you're describing is the Ford Focus MK1 TDDi, europe's favorite workhorse
You can get one with just 175000km - like I did - for around 1.5k
These machines are the closest you can get to bulletproof

look for head gasket failure
replace shift linkage bushings

Buy a Saxo or a Peugeot 106

Who cares, buy a Panda for 200€, run it until it goes kaputt, buy another, repeat.

>twingo
>highway
if you want comfy get a w202 with the CDI engine and auto
my dad had which did like 750k km but sadly got lost in an accident
they have a special place in my heart because of how comfy and how good the torque was compared to anything else I had driven

panda is always kaputt
be surprised if they manage more than 90 k-km