What car has the most satisfying manual transmission to use?

What car has the most satisfying manual transmission to use?

Other urls found in this thread:

cae-racing.de
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

FiST

So light and a short throw. Very nice.

I have one and I like it, but you can't bang through gears very quickly, and the pedal spacing is terrible for heel-toe action.

Porsche 911 in every generation I've driven from Carrera to GT2 has consistently been my favorite

spyker c8

MX-5 ND
It just goes snick-snick-snick

i've heard these are actually really nice to use

Floating gears all day is satisfying af

This. NA is also pretty good, but you pretty much just flick the ND around and it clicks perfectly into place

honda, everyone knows this.

can just flick it from one gear to the next effortlessly and are supposedly reliable trannys

Unironically mazda.

Even early base Boxsters with their Audi-sourced 5-speeds and cable shift are surprisingly nice.

Toyota's are real nice imo
Everything feels like shit tho now that I tried an a4 with a sqs sequential

T56. I love how notchy it is.

I used to think the pedal spacing sucked for heel toe as well, but then I got more practice and I have had no problems. All I can say is to just keep practicing.

>18653365
Probably a motorcycle transmission. Even better, a quick shifter. Nothing quite like that uninterrupted thrust

How are Subaru manuals? I've looked at 2011 Outback 2.5's

Toyotas? I haven't driven a Toyota manual that I've really liked ever.. they all feel sloppy to me. Granted, I've never driven a new car with one its always been a used car.

BMW, Honda, and Mazda make great manuals. My NB Miata was amazing.

The 6 speed in my WRX is a little meh. The auto-center works better on the 2-3 shift than on the 5-4 shift and nothing is super smooth.

Also because AWD you've really gotta be on point with your rev matching (or slip the clutch a bit) or you're gonna have some driveline shock. I suspect that a good part of subaru's reputation for glass trannies is dumb kids thinking they can treat it like a 2wd car and try to spin the wheels when taking off.

Every hondurr transmission ive used has been great.
Also every civic ive driven grinds into 3rd.
Take from that what you want.

mx5 best by far for me

my aw11 is super nice. Brz is pretty notchy but short. 240D is meh, just like the car. Focus ST feels too soft and wobbley, mushy clutch too.

You mean have, most automotive companies don't make their own.

The cars with Getrags that I've driven were typically better than anything else I've driven.

Shifting the 993 GT2 was the best transmission I will ever experience imo

can confirm, great for learning

Best car transmission I've personally used was an NB Miata.

I'd like to add that the best and most satisfying gearbox you can probably ever find in a cheap consumer vehicle, is a sequential dogbox as found in motorcycles. Instant shifts once you learn how to do it without the clutch, easy to revmatch, and none of that possible H-gate nonsense. Too bad you have to use your foot to operate them, it'd be even better in a car just banging up and down the gears. It's even worse that no cars come with this kind of transmission despite the fact that it's obviously better than an H-gate with synchros.

Any 100,000+ mile diesel car.

I've driven dozens of newer and older manual cars and the one I've found the best is a stock Mitsubishi Triton (L200), the clutch is smooth and the shifts always slide in effortlessly

Miata desu~

i'm scared

S2000, absolutely based, mechanical, notchy, tight, weighted, feels like sex.
911, mechanical, weighted, not as much feedback as the S2000, slightly longer throws.
90s rod shifted FWD Hondas. Notchy and mechanical, really feels like you're throwing something heavy around, but somehow doesn't quite feel as connected as the above.

That's my experience.

FD with fresh fluid and shifter bushings. Tight as a virgin and smooth as butter at the same time.

Honda in general makes great manuals

Nothing more satisfying than having a big STICC

STi manual is fantastic, all mechanical linkage.

Corvette C5 with a tremec

Old pickup trucks with the shifter on the floor

I love my old 98 Legacy's shifter, it shifts buttery smooth and is just right on tightness. Got an easy and predictable babby clutch too. Great car to learn on. If anyone complains about a Subaru shifter being vague, it just needs bushings.

Not in old ones though. I have to suck off the sticc just to get it into 1st or 2nd

Mazda make the best manual transmissions

/thread

How did you get that aux cord setup? I have an ep3 and that's delightful

bimmer e4 m3 from what ive driven

Feels like you're racking a bolt on a sniper rifle every time you shift gears. Feels good mayn.

Subaru sti transmissions are great in warm weather.

My 07 is insanely smooth when it's warmed up.

I've heard the S2000 is ridiculously good.
Was also told Ferrari gated manuals are amazing, but that's to be expected given the price

Be careful, the positioning will ruin other cars for you.

I've always wondered how that worked. Is there a separate shifter for high/low?

There's a button on the side and front you flip up or down

In the cars I've driven
98 Civic > AW11 (needs bushings) > Mazda 5 (yes a minivan) > Bugeye WRX with factory short throw > Mazda Protege 5 (needed bushings and had a really long throw but getting into gears felt great) > 2017 Impreza > E30
I really didn't like how my E30s shifters felt, they had a sort of rubber feeling, it almost felt like I was bending the shifter instead of pushing it into gear

Civic Type R is so nice

Agreed. My '99 Legacy shifts really smooth with only a little bit of pressure on the shifter to move it. Downshifting is easy, too. It's a shame the 5-speeds are kinda weak because otherwise they're great transmissions

Mazda RX8

any diesel truck

I just bought a 2018 WRX. had the STi short throw in it. Still feels a tad long, but it's been nice for the 1000 miles I've put on it. Took some getting used to with the AWD, really took some practice coming from a 94 Ford Bronco with a 5 speed.

The rev hang took some getting used to as well, once I figured it out it wasn't bad.

No. It's either the EP3 Type R's, S2000's, E46 M3 CS's, or Porsche 981 Cayman GT4's. Fucking glorious trannies.

This in a BMW with a DSSR, fucking sublime. I drove one at an autox and holy shit nothing comes close. Might be buying one in the near future
cae-racing.de

These are also good answers

re: E30 shifter
Replace shifter bushings with poly/delrin and use a DSSR, no slop

I hate the original 911's long shifter. 964 onward feel much better IMO.

>had the STi short throw in it.

funny enough when I got my '17 the salesman told me he thought the short throw was not worth the money. Wonder if I shouldn't have listened....

You don't have to use them all at the same time.

How easy is it to grab the wrong one and money shift?

Fact.

8th gen Civic Si is satisfying. I want to row through those gears all day.

It is.

FCbrah here, can confirm

is that an electric handbrake with the red arrow on it?

I don't know if it was or not. I've never driven a current gen WRX without a short throw.

Most German made ones
Just notchy enough without being a hassle, very good feedback so you don't miss shifts or grind gears as much

Series 1 rx7. Even after 40 odd years, still feels beautiful and direct

Manual is a fucking meme don't buy into it.
In 20 years no new car will have manual.

rarely any car nowadays has an automatic transmission by default. Why would that change?

A 70s ford 4 speed no overdrive is a terrible trans

New Audi TTs have fantastic manual transmissions. They're smooth as butter.

Anyone else prefer heavier clutches? I DD an E36, and recently got a chance to drive a brand new 320i with a six-speed. I was actually unsatisfied with how little pressure you need to put on the pedal in order to shift.

Won't find them in any production cars but pulling gears in a dogbox is satisfying in a way that no stock trans can match.

I do, but that might be because Dad taught me to drive manual in his 911

>all those short, not spherical shifters
Here, take this long shifter, with the pull-up reverse and accordion included

prove me wrong

It's a mechanical toggle switch that disables the gate lock to Reverse.

The McLaren F1 stick shift is very, very precise and rifle bolt like, yet it isn't quite as easy and intuitive as an S2000.

I had the pleasure of playing in one over ten years ago when Jay Leno brought his black F1 to Bob's Big Boy in Burbank, where he still occasionally drops by to hang out with car guys. Nicest guy in the world if you're a car guy, and he's 2x as nice if you're a younger guy who is eager and polite. He let plenty of kids take pictures in the center seat as their parents took photos.

The car was already warmed up by the time everyone was surrounding and gawking at it, I remember Jay mentioned when its cold it feels significantly heavier and clunkier. When he let me in there and poke around for a minute, the lever was a heavy, yet satisfying mechanical piece that ka-thunked into place with authority. Throws were wrist-flick short albeit with some weight.

Acura cls6
Tightest smoothest most satisfying transmission Honda ever made