Thoughts on the Mercury/Ford Cougar?

Thoughts on the Mercury/Ford Cougar?

it's a cool car

I never see them on the road anymore. Perhaps they were unreliable, or the owners didn't care enough about them to keep them up. Resale value probably killed any type of major repairs, they were scrapped instead. I don't know how they perform, but they are blah to look at.

they were good cars, it's just that not everyone liked their design.

I love them, but unfortunately they're all ravaged by boiracers.

They have terrible build quality. You would be much better with a Focus SVT, accord coupe, or almost anything else. They look cool, but that's it.

I found a mint one with all extras an the 2.5 Duratec V6.

Buy or not?

I would rather get one of the Personal Luxury barges of yore before the nu cougar.

What price?

3500€

>Cougar
>largest engine available is a 2.5L V6
"no"

granda used to have one, but had to sell it because of running costs. You said euro, meaning not US. It could probably get pretty expensive. But its a cool car

Eehhh.. I wouldn't give 3.5k for a Cougar. But if you really love the car, and want to buy it, go for it. Just be sure to check the quarter panels for rust, the wheels for scratches and marks, for boiracer abuse, etc... Do mind that if something breaks, it will be expensive to fix. Even though it's a Ford.

I am talking about the one from the picture, not the grandpa one.

it's shit and you put your subject in the name field

>Do mind that if something breaks, it will be expensive to fix
like what? there's quite a few of them in junkyards because of rust.

>V6 is shit
stinks like a burger

The parts in Europe are dirt cheap, because it's essentially a Ford Mondeo Coupe.

It's not shit, and you know that Bubba

Moderately hoonable shitbox but nothing special. Mazda MX6 does all the same things and doesn't look like a hair-lipped nurse shark.

The shared parts will be, but anything else like front and rear fascias will be more expensive than usual.

>doesn't look like a hair-lipped nurse shark

True the MX6 looks like a Catfish

The grandpa one can be had with a supercharged, intercooled 3.8 V6, with IRS and rear drive.

That Cougar looks every bit the Eclipse boipucci ripoff.

My first car was a mercury cougar, had tons of fun hooning around in it and picking up girls from my highschool. Of course mine was a 1968. These new ones are gross looking with baby engines. You can do better for the price of one

>driving a feminine 80s car
I mean I guess if you don't care that people think you're a middle aged woman.

Bump

I had/have one as my first car, it's currently sitting in storage due to some teenage racer/crappy braking tires induced damage, but it was an awesome first car. The handling is actually not half bad, since at that time Ford and Mazda were working together and the cougar got some Mazda suspension work. There were many RWD muscle cars humiliated on the toe-gay back in the day. While it was never fast, the V6 and manual makes it plenty quick for street driving.

As far as reliability, I bought mine for 600 bucks, so there was very little in that regard. Funnily enough, it never broke down out on the road leaving me stranded. All of the proper breakdowns were a result of trying to fix a minor problem and screwing it up massively.

The engine and transmission were utterly unkillable, I got it at about 200k and put 12,000 miles of absolutely abusive wannabe racer driving on it. I hit redline multiple times a day, learned to drive stick on an already questionable clutch, learned to double clutch third with a missing synchro, and just generally hooned the crap out of it.

The suspension was solid too, it hauled friends around on bumpy dirt roads because every teenager is a professional rally driver, and somehow all of the handbrake skids and slamming into bumps never broke anything. The one time I actually damaged it was handbrake drifting rather solidly into a curb in the snow, and the alignment shop was able to fix it with just a hammer.

Overall, I think they're a very good little car for what they are, and well worth owning.

>429 super cobra jet
Ahead of its time

It likes younger drivers.

Question to OP: are you from the states or Yuurop?

Yuurop

that means you can avoid the obvious americans ITT that are trying to tell you that a V6 that can do 220+ kph is slow
3.5K is a little too much for a cougar, but if it's in a good condition, go for it