COSTCO IS GODTIER FOR TIRES

So I bought a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires in 2013.

Recently the rear left tire kept losing air, so I took it into the Costco tire centre to have it looked at.

Turns out there's some based warranty (dunno if its entirely Michelin's warranty or Costco's too)

Turns out theres a small pin in my tire, and its not fully repairable.

They sell me a new set of Michelin X-Tours for $83 all in.

FUCK YES COSTCO

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Taiwan
xantandminions.wordpress.com/kuma-kuma-kuma-bear/
investopedia.com/terms/r/raincheck.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i need tires for my 4x4 and they're gonna be like $250 a piece

rip

why so expensive? wtf

Thats nothing, there are tires for 4x4 vehicles that can get up to $500 each

And then when you're in bumfuck no where, where most tire shit happens, there is no costco to fix your tire.

Les schwab, buy Medium range tires that last 60,000 miles, for $500. Get lifetime tire rotation, get free tire repair under 25% tread wear. Multiple locations so there's a chance that bumfuck wherever has a les schwab.

Canadian Tire has the same sort of warranty. They do free puncture repairs and if it needs to be replaced, they pro-rate them based on tread wear. Don't even need a receipt if it's their brand of tire. No free rotations, though.

They do free rotations if you purchased the tires from them. Every 10,000km.

>FUCK YES COSTCO
Certainly a lot of people like buying through Costco. A huge number of new cars are sold through Costco's new car program each year. In 2016, Costco sold 465,000 new vehicles. It's predicted that by 2020, Costco will be the top seller of new cars.

Costco 2016 members: 90 million
Costco 2016 car sales: 465,000

Costco doesn't make money on everything it sells. It lost 88 million dollars last year selling rotisserie chickens. So when you buy one of those big plump edible Costco birds, you know you're getting your money's worth. It's a loss leader item to get people to come to the warehouse for items to prepare their meals.

>there are tires for 4x4 vehicles that can get up to $500 each
Picture: These winter tires for a Toyota Hilux are $2500 each tire.

I got good tires tho...

Michelin X-Tour; 130 000KM warranty and got special rubber to prevent punctures.

Are the deals really that good with cars or is it just a matter of brand loyalty?

Are Sam's Club tires just as good/affordable? I don't have a Costco membership

Google this phrase:
how many cars are sold by costco?

The prices are good and it eliminates the haggling fear consumers have in going to dealerships cold. Costco does the negotiation with a dealer that has registered with them.

>Are Sam's Club tires just as good/affordable?
Go in and check the prices of tires as marked. In my state, they cannot block non-members from going in to use the pharmacy because state law requires pharmacies serve everyone. My local Sam's warehouse has their own specials every now and then. They do special orders of any brand and special ordered tires are discounted but not as much as those marked for deals on their floor and racks.

I've seen posted deals of $88 per tire in sets of 4 for goodyears. The all time lowest price for any brand tire was $68 per tire in set of 4 (seen 2 years ago).

As new cars go, Sam's Club doesn't really do anything since theirs is a rebranded TrueCar deal. But Sam's Club didn't want to look like it wasn't doing anything unlike Costco.

>is it just a matter of brand loyalty?
The only way to answer that is to read minds.

Meanwhile, translations of author comments in doujinshi can be humorous sometimes. Picture shows the author likes to shop at Costco in Japan. Damn. I wonder what kinds of Japanese goods I can get in there?

Wait what the fuck did you just imply Sam's Club sells cars or do you mean them working on cars

Costco is the reason i own a truck

>living the American dream, one Costco-financed domestic truck at a time

They make deals with dealerships to sell x car at y price for their members.

That's for mud tires though, not just your average set of A/T's like a Duratrac or KO2

>OP doesn’t know about Michelin’s mile-based tire warranty

There's nothing wrong with financing if you can afford it. If you have a lot of assets in stock, a trust or any sort of non savings/checking account, it makes way more sense to finance than pull out that cash and get your income taxes for the year jacked up to a higher rate.

>work at costco
>guys comes in for new tires
>his old tires are scalloped real bad
>tell him hes gotta fix his suspension or this will happen again
>make a note of it on w/o so if he comes back with the same problem i have a window to say no youre not getting the warranty on these
>year later
>he comes back with BFG tires all scalloped
>wants refund
>i tell him no, we told you to fix this, its not the tires it your suv
>lemme speak to manager
>manager tells me to put new more expensive michelins on at 0 cost
>i go nuts on warehouse manager
>change departments after that

so ya costco is the best. just complain til you get what u want. works everytime.

>They make deals with dealerships to sell x car at y price for their members.
whoah no way I thought I could just buy ordinary shit at sams club

Well idk if it does that at Sam's but Costco does it

>$2500
Where the fuck are you looking? I can get them for $912 per tire from Arctic Trucks own store

I also got the MXM4’s from Costco and they’re great.
Need to mail in the warranty information tho

It says $7.245 which is like the cost of a ribeye steak.

Costco's new car program sucks dick.
I live in fucking DFW, a MAJOR urban area and there are only 2 Costco certified dealerships here (A Honda one at the VERY edge of the Metroplex and a Cadillac one)

7245 NOK, which as of the time of writing is 918 USD

>whoah no way I thought I could just buy ordinary shit at sams club
Look over your membership services and benefits brochure again. If you don't have one, go to the service counter on your next visit and pick up a benefits listing for your membership. You might even be giving up unknown benefits at your local Sam's Club which might offer more than other Sam's Clubs.

Some Sam's customize their policies based upon manager discretion. For example, my local Sam's Club offers free tire patching to all members even if the tire was NOT purchased there. They don't even check to see if I own that car, so presumably you could do your friend a favor if he has a nail in his tread block. After they patched my tire, they re-balanced the tire before re-installing it on my car.

The premium membership has a number of prescription drugs provided for free. One month dosage at a time provided for free. That covers a lot of the mentai health drugs too. Here, have a handful of adderols for $4.

Costco started in Seattle and whupped Sam's Butt hard. All the Sam's Club stores in washington state closed down.

>Where the fuck are you looking? I can get them for $912 per tire from Arctic Trucks own store

In 2007, Arctic Trucks logo was on gear in the show that said they paid 2500 for each tire. See picture file name for the show where the price was announced. Someone overcharged and someone overpaid?

This guy gets it. I’m a financial consultant and if the client can afford it without a life change and the rate/term is low enough i always recommend financing over pulling funds from a non-savings/checking. Your taxes thank you in the long run, and if you’re making a respectable rate of return then you’ll come out better.

Stop Gear Narrator: "I would be using, naturally, a Toyota pickup truck. It's a tough old bird, this, but even so for the trip to the Pole, it had been sent to Iceland for a few modifications."

The goal was to drive to the North Pole by car.

The show is not for kids since there is a squeamish picture during the cold weather orienteering lessons to avoid frostbite. The stop gear hosts were not paying attention until the doctor instructor showed what happened if your foreskin got frostbitten. A clear case where women explorers are better!

Ooooh yeah, this was 11 years when those tires were pretty much brand new and were also being 100% hand made. They've gotten way cheaper now

You get the 44-inch Hakkapeliitta tire (made in collaboration with Arctic Trucks) for 14375 NOK, or 1822 USD

>Drive E30
>Melt a hole in my old 205/50/15 tire at a trackday
>Read on R3VLimited that there's way more clearance with 17s
>Snatch a full set of 17x7 OZ wheels with tires for $300 on CL
>Fits like a charm
>Inspect tire wear, breddy worn down
>3 of them are 225/45/17, one is 215/50/17
>wtf.jpg
>Still fits nicely so I keep them on until new tires come
>buy a set of 225/45/17 nankang AR-1 (excellent tire btw, would recommend)
>Hear Costco mounts tires for a good price and uses nitrogen
>Obese tire guy looks up my car, sees it initially came with 14s
>"I don't think that's going to fit, it's significantly different than the original rim"
>Explain that it actually clears the struts better than the originals and that I have that wheel/tire size on the car with no rubbing
>"It's unsafe to use a different tire size than recommended by the manufacturer"
>Ok, I'll take the risk, just mount the goddamn tires already
>Apparently they can't do that, it's"policy"
>Buy a chicken bake, storm out of there and pay some Mexicans too much to mount them

>nankang
>kang
did you do that on purpose or is that the name they're really sold under

How do you not know the Nankang name? They're like one of the absolute biggest chinese tire manufacturers

Not the same guy but yes, they really are sold under that name.

*taiwanese
:^)

I usually steer clear away from anything chin-ese/korean when it comes to cars

Taiwan, sorry

Whats the actual fucking difference tho? In my experience the taiwanese seem so fucking proud not to be chinese, yet they maintain nearly the exact same views, culture and whatnot. I guess the government isnt as oppresive, but still

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Taiwan

tl;dr there are a number of historical, economic, and political reasons
>In the revolution Chiang Kai-Shek and the KMT fled to Taiwan and established the ROC there while PRC controlled the mainland
>Taiwan is a fully-functioning democracy
>USA is Taiwan's best buddy

Same here, but good tires are good tires

what about south korean? cause I've had good experiences with kumho tyres.

Oi vey, financing is the way to go for sure

>tfw you will never run 44" tires at 5 PSI through 10 foot snow drifts

Worst part is that the ones in your photo are 38x15.5

These are 44"s... the 38 looks like a Tonka truck compared to it

Costco works

Go back go your containment thread faggot

>They're like one of the absolute biggest chinese tire manufacturers
So they sell a lot of winter tires in Sweden and Norway? It seems like more and more cars are slowly coming with chinese tires now.

Crappy tire just rams a plug in it though, they don't fix it properly. Plus Motoshit tires are trash.

mad

Hey finance user, if I can afford the monthly payment and then some comfortably, is there any reason to wait any longer to save up a bigger down payment?
After that, is there any downside to taking the longest and most lax terms possible if there's no early/overpay penalty or whatever?

WE

Taiwan is white people of Asians

Mainland chinks are niggers of Asia

Anyone that wants to see these trucks crash through the snow and bounce off of hard ice should watch that Top Gear Polar Special. It had several of these trucks outfitted with those outrageous giant super grippy winter tires. And they have quite a bit of screen time through the whole show.

What else was there really to film on a car show?

Yeah, yeah, thanks for shilling, faggot.

>Couple years ago
>Manager tells me Costco has a sale on Bridgestone tires; $70 off or something
>Buy membership for like $56
>Faggot at the desk tried shilling me to spend $100+ on a "better" dumb fucking membership card, "BUT MUH FREE CHICKUNZ AN SHEEIT"
>Said no almost 20 times and he still wouldn't fuck off, was so close to canceling but just thought about the tires
>Go home, place order, wait for them to contact me
>Two days later, nothing
>Third day, sale just ended - get email saying my order was voided
>Call and ask what the fuck happened and why no one contacted me
>"We didn't have the tires in stock. We have them now if you want but you won't be able to get them for sale price since the sale ended."
>Tfw only bought groceries from there twice and never went back
>Tfw kind of wish I went there and raised hell for pulling that shit
>Tfw should've refunded my membership since I wasted money on it and didn't use it

>Go home, place order, wait for them to contact me
You mean you placed a request and not a real order.

An order is when you actually paid and signed the purchase slip. You then receive the sales receipt. The tires will arrive when they arrive at that specific Costco. You can then have them installed as you paid for their installation already.

That's how sales work at Costco and Sam's Club. I have memberships in both since I use them as my "exercise gym". I drive to each and walk every aisle. That's quite a bit of walking but I am not bored. If I like something, I can buy it too. I sometimes pet the giant Costco Teddy Bear when I pass by it. If it didn't make my car a theft target, I would have strapped a big bear into the front passenger seat as a permanent passenger. It's weight shouldn't be enough to set off the passenger sensor that causes the passenger airbags to be functional.

For those who don't know, Costco sells GIANT SIZED teddy bears that are far bigger than any human. Taller. Wider. There are different sizes. xantandminions.wordpress.com/kuma-kuma-kuma-bear/

>They sell me a new set of Michelin X-Tours

>Traded god tier MXV4's for X-Tours.

What the FUCK are you doing?

Get Bridgestone set of 4 from Costco takes 2 hours to mount and all they have is a piece of shit wooden bench.

Takes at least 1 hour to get them rotated.

They don't offer me anything when the tires have to be replaced due to tread wear at less than half life

My Costco's tire center has a 2.5 star rating on Google. It's probably location dependant.

Also they have retarded amount of guidelines. My experience suckd

Especially having one freaking wooden bench and the wait times

>Costco sells GIANT SIZED teddy bears that are far better than any human

that's how I read it the first time

>being this poor

why do you even own a vehicle?
get a bicycle

Oops, is that you Mr Cummy???

>Buy a chicken bake and storm out of there

>Especially having one freaking wooden bench and the wait times
Probably because the store manager and senior staff at that location wants to "encourage" (aka force) you to go wander their warehouse with a shopping cart to fill up. It's good for their store's performance bonus to be shared by the various management.

My Costco has prominent signage to go visit their automotive tires website to make an appointment for tire installation. That way, they can better schedule people instead of having so many customers without appointments waiting and waiting to get their tires installed if one of the appointment slots finishes early.

>Costco sells GIANT SIZED teddy bears that are far better than any human
I wonder what they sell in the Japanese Costco stores.... Stores in Japan are far more open to selling items that USA stores would not. Even Microsoft Japan included the life-sized hugging pillow cover of one of the Dead or Alive girls with a purchase of their Xbox in a promotion deal.

investopedia.com/terms/r/raincheck.asp

There's no raincheck. The order is completed regardless if the tires are in stock at that specific Costco warehouse or not. You pay for it right then and there so there is no raincheck. The tires will then be shipped and have an arrival date. The Costco staff tells you to make an installation appointment with the official Costco online tool. Click and pick the date and time for installation. It was really easy for me to get my tires installed doing that. And you can easily change things on your own too without having to call some service desk to change your appointment time if something came up and you couldn't make that date/time.

Costco really is trying to accommodate the customers' experience. I like that philosophy of how the founders stayed with Costco and kept on improving things as well as insuring things were implemented with the original philosophy. Costco was founded in Seattle. But the originator of warehouse shopping clubs was Sol Price of Price Club down in california. They were no frills and gave lower prices than Costco. Costco's founders and staff grew up ini the same city with Nordstrom which had famously generous return policies. That seemed to influence Costco a lot. Costco grew fast with consumer's having confidence in Costco products. Although Price Club was large, it was overshadowed and merged into Costco after a brief period of being named "Price Costco". The large company influenced Price Savers (merged into Sam's Club) and Sam's Club return policies as well. So in one sense, I'd like to say "Thank You Nordstrom" for your indirect influence in other retailing industries that had less savory return policies prior to your approach. Now, everyone sort of has to copy Costco/Sam return policies or else get run over by customers spoiled by the nordstrom approach.

But what does "I've had good experiences" mean? Surely, people have had good experiences with Chinese tires too just as people have had bad experiences with Michelin tires. What matters is a consistent statistical observation about each tire maker by the auto enthusiasts.

>my firsthand experience is worthless without validation from others

muh soyboy

I did buy them online - was emailed a receipt and it said to wait for those cunts to contact me only for three days to pass and then receive another email saying the order was voided.

U got fucked buddy, I run rainchecks every time we offer any coupon for tires. Even for our bullshit penny installation. You should have ordered in store, or actually talked to someone instead of using the online system. That is a bad system.

he didn't say he couldn't afford them

>he didn't say he couldn't afford them
technically he did by complaining about the price

>I run rainchecks every time we offer any coupon for tires.
Sam's Club simply takes the order for the tires even if the item is temporarily out of stock at that location. No rain check needed since the purchase is already made. When the tires arrive, I'll get a call from them. Or I can simply check back in a few days to get the tires installed.

You can always call the Sam's Club auto department and find out the tire price to compare to the Costco price.

Costco are assholes, they wouldn't even do an alignment for me since I got tyres elsewhere a year ago

Also their fuel station near me doesn't even have an air inflator thing

So fucking inconvenient

>assholes wouldn't even do an alignment for me since I got tyres elsewhere a year ago

It's difficult for any place to perform services on merchandise not purchased there.

How was the chicken bake? Sadly, the local beaners are the only shops with common sense and a work ethic. Want your TPMS junk replaced with rubber valve stems? No problemo! Any chain would have a shitting hemorrhage at the mere mention of it.

No. If they have an alignment machine it will work with any set if tires on the car. If they don't have an alignment machine why tf are they selling tires?

not him, but am a CFP.

>is there any reason to wait any longer to save up a bigger down payment

Depends on your rate, if it's under 3%, no. finance as much as possible and leave your cash in investments.

>After that, is there any downside to taking the longest and most lax terms possible if there's no early/overpay penalty or whatever?

No, that's a good idea. if you can get a more favorable rate at 60 or 72 months, do it. You can always pay extra to the principal each month, and if you hit a tough time the lower monthly payment gives you a little cushion.

I've never been to a costco fueling station that has one. I think it's because of how large their volume of cars that fuel there is. They can't have an air pump because it would slow down traffic, and they have no one out there to control it from a booth.

I don't live near a Costco. But Discount Tires are popping up left and right. Just mad that they turned me down for a tiny fucking line of credit that would've given me $200 off and I would've paid it off instantly but muh lack of credit history. Then they called me like hey your stuff came in and I was like nah you can keep it

>How was the chicken bake
Fucking fantastic.

The air is at the tire center because of course air is at the tire center.
Just tell one of those fucks to fill your tires up.
t. Costco employee

>They can't have an air pump because it would slow down traffic
All gas stations here have an air supply as required by law. But like in other states, my Costco gas stations don't have one immediately next to the gas pumps. Since the gas station, tire center, and warehouse store are all on the same property, it technically satisfies state law to have the air supply at the tire center as it's still on the "gas station's property".

Is Sam's Club generally lower-priced than Costco or higher-priced for special order tires that the store doesn't normally stock?

costco is based for everything

What are some good investments to put my cashmoney into if I'm just trying to get something conservative to offset the interest, or maybe get some minor gains? I've never played the investment game before.