Why so many sitting around?

Recently test drove one of these things. Doesn't ride as bad as the click baiters and ad cucks rail about and I liked it in general. I'm seeing quite a few 2017's sitting on lots new, a few more with very low mileage (sub 10k) used. Are people scared because of the head gaskets, wrong time of year to sell one, or is there something else I'm missing here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RdQwLe7d3wo
caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-subaru-wrx-sti-in-depth-model-review-2018-subaru-wrx-sti-cargo-space-and-storage-review-car-and-driver-page-7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're ugly

markups

this
3 door gti is the only decent looking hatch and even that looks like a toddler's shoe

Pigfat, fwd, plagued with issues and costs as much as a V8 Mustang. Gee I wonder why they don't sell.

Was thinking that too but that's all dead now.

>> 18655239
>> 18655265
Meh, to each their own but I'm not sure I'd call them ugly. Civic SI hatch looks better to me but the type r is a little much styling wise.

i think it looks great

it's an amazing car. but it's because the type of people who are into hot hatches are the type of people who don't blow $40k+ on a new car.

Aside from the HG what do you mean? Performance wise, yea the Mustang is the winner but that's not the only making me want it and thinking I'm only the faggot wanting this thing is making me rethink about getting one.

The rear diff is a piece of shit and overheat if used hard. The HG issue is pretty serious but to be expected when you squeeze that much power out of a 4banger.

It's too performace minded and boy racer. Most people that are in a financial state to buy and afford to insure one aren't going to want to put up with it. Harsh ride, immature looks, and 42k USD msrp.

a golf r is a little less capable, but is a shot of novacaine compared to the rs and the r sells better because of it. It's more "grown up." People are cowards and don't want to justify their passions to other people and a golf r is bland enough to be accepted by more people. If ford wanted to sell outrageous, semi tamed track stars to people who just want to have fun, they should have built something cheaper. Then it would be more directly competing with Type Rs and WRXs, and GTIs. Instead it decided to take a swing at a 330i and turned up chump.

That's the reason why most mass market companies don't offer "fun," driving focused cars. Anyone can sell a fast car by throwing some leather and ritzy tech on a fast motor. Making something cheap, fast, and reliable enough to daily leaves very little profit and a large liability if your car isn't popular.

The only reason companies make these cars is because they see some room for a halo to boost sales or they've got something to prove. [And by halo, I mean a real halo that moves lower end product, not some not some unreachable fuck show with no relation to the rest of the brand. I'm kind of diverging from the main point here, but I hate it when people say something like a nsx sells cars. Nobody bought a car because of the nsx exists, but the Type R will fucking whip Civic SIs right out the showroom all day long.]

tl;dr
it's a fucking 42 thousand dollar focus. pic unrelated.

Good post, I agree or see what you're talking about with almost everything except the thing about the 330i. I know I really don't want the high end versions that are sitting new because I don't really want all the extra bullshit (sunroof, heating seats/mirrors, bullshit Nav) along with them. Those kind of things aren't options on a car that price and if I wanted all that shit I'd be looking at something different anyway. Even explains why I see almost no golf R's either. I dislike VW and prior gens were piles of shit but this one seems different. Oh well, if this car I'm looking at sells before this weekend I'll probably just give the jews their money back and get something different.

Its an almost 50k track oriented hot hatch
>too expensive for the boy racer
>too harsh for the normalfag
>hothatches dont sell in the states
Theres no way to sell these things in big numbers
Ford shot themselves in the foot allowing markups to happen. Now the new car hype is dead and there is no market for them.

>42k
lmfao

>FWD

how does it feel to be stupid

He's not as wrong as you'd think. It's not quite AWD in the same way an EVO or an STI is. It's FWD until the RDU engages clutches on either side to drive the rear wheels. Not a whole lot of control of when that happens though. It's a trick to be sure but's it's a lot better than just spinning the shit out of the front tires.

It looks cheap and feels cheap.
Because it is Ford, you are practically guaranteed not to be reliable and not to have good service from the Dealer.
Besides, there are others which drive a lot more better

Aside from the golf R or type R what would look at instead?

>ford
>unreliable
not sure where this even started from, although i'll give you the fact that dealerships are fucking awful.

In November 2016 I when to the ford dealer they had a Ford Focus Rs for 47k. I talk to the manager to see if I can get it for 44k they say no.

Anyway I when to another ford dealer they had a 2017 base model mustang gt with performance package and recaro seat. Got it for 35k. I’m glad I didn’t get the RS

The 3-door Fiesta is what Americans want
The Focus is trying to compete with several different things at once and fails on all fronts.

The only two non meme answers you will get here are variations of:

- Initial ADM price adjustments that lingered until mid to late 2017 scared off many buyers and the reputation still hangs on to this day, despite most of them selling at or around invoice.

- The head gasket issue that was unresolved until last month has also made it's rounds and had made people hesitant to buy as well as many owners dumping them on the used market.

You'll get a whole lot of answers about "Lol Ford", "FWD", "42k Focus", but these are also the people who honestly can only afford the 3k civic they meme so hard.

You can buy one new from 34-37k which is around what you would pay for it's direct competitors. Used can be found anywhere from 30-36k. Ford is replacing all of the head gaskets in the ones that have the Mustang gasket installed and in some cases the head as well.

Nice, prices are good right now though so it's not as easy of a choice as you had. I really love the premium trim of those but it really hikes the price of those car up. If the room a hatchback wasn't going to make my life so much easier I'd probably wouldn't think twice about the stang. I should probably look at one more closely anyway.

The dealers are the worst part of any manufacturer. Only good experiences I've had were infiniti and subaru (and the subbie dealer being good was more likely an accident).

If you can haggle one of these down to $30k it'd be fabulous. Because at the end of the day, it's a 20k econobox with 8k in bolt-ons.
>inb4 muh engineered in germany marketing

I didn't think the dealers sperged that hard about them. I saw a few that did but not many in person. I wasn't shopping when they hit though so I could be wrong. Car I'm looking at is around 30 and sat on a lot for a month to get there.

why would anyone who can afford one of these actually want one? serious question. theyre cars for teenagers and teenagers cant afford them.

they really just should never have existed.

It's a car for millenials but millenials can't afford it.

Name another car that is AWD, >300 hp, four doors and a decent hatch/trunk, fun to drive all for 35k or less?

I think its the head gaskets people are afraid of. I work as a Ford Tech, and even my co-workers are worried about it. Looks good for the future however, won't hold their value like I thought they would so I can get one used for cheap.

Iirc it had some issues with the differential and headgasket or some valve.

Dodge Magnum SRT8.

The wrx sti doesn't have this issue and it makes about the same power

golf r i think? i dont know im not really into the whole teenage car segment. but that doesnt really have anything to do with my post. cars for teenagers that cost more than teenagers can afford. doesnt really matter if there isnt any competition in this case, if there is no other competition then that's probably because it's not a profitable market at that price point.

but everyone here is saying these things are selling for over $40k new. theys dont seem to be selling too well at that price, considering there they have to compete with things like an s3. disregarding the odd manchild here and there i dont think many people are going to choose a ford focus over an s3.

The WRX STI is also almost garanteed to destroy it's pistons even on a stock tune. I'm not looking for a track god but I won't touch that piece of shit. Seen too many of blow up in person to bother with it.

Wrx sti

>not a hatch
Who gives a fuck the hatch doesn't do shit

>The WRX STI is also almost garanteed to destroy it's pistons even on a stock tune
No its not stop meming about cars you've never driven and know fuck all about.

So something that's the same, but different, but mostly the same thing?

>stop meming about cars you've never driven and know fuck all about
if everyone did that this would probably be the slowest board on Veeky Forums

Driven them and seen them blow up first hand. You can think I'm memeing all you want. The engines are garbage and I have done too much research to be swayed otherwise.

Start here, then read moar. youtube.com/watch?v=RdQwLe7d3wo

You literally asked for an awd car with 300hp+ and there's only a small handful of cars that actually bolster that let alone being manual too

>hothatch

>but everyone here is saying these things are selling for over $40k new
Who would of thought that a board that can only regurgitate memes would.. regurgitate memes. New are competing against the Golf R's price range.

> doesnt really matter if there isnt any competition in this case,
Except there are, and they do sell well, and honestly it's just a matter of opinion or flipping a coin on which one to get as they are all decent.

>fourty thousand US dollars
>looks ugly as fuck

yeah idk

I did, and my point is people buy these for the same reason they've been buying the STI, Evo, or Golf R all of which did (or are doing) pretty well.

well people are going with the competition, because the competition does not carry the stigma of being a riced out ford focus. aka a car for teenagers. respectable adults can pass off a golf r or an s3, or even an sti if theyre under 30.

>meming about cars you've never driven
Literally the description of Veeky Forums

Your video doesn't do you any justice. He already said the car had been tuned and ran hard as fuck over 50k km. You're literally grasping for straws because you want to be an expert on every car you know nothing about. You probably went to Google and typed in some akin to "Subaru ringlands" or something and posted the first video that reinforces your stereotype you want to shoe horn. He already pointed out numerous times that it has been tuned very early on and had 3 different people honing it hard at the track. So if you want to pass this off as a common issue or wear and tear that this car experiences you're just a stupid fuck begging for yous

Here are some valid reasons:

1. It is easily the gayest looking of all the hot hatches
2. Only comes in manual while cars like the GTI or Golf R offer competitive DSGs
3. Overpriced, $40k+ for an AWD 350bhp hatch? Lel. A $22k GTI with a $599 tune already makes 316bhp

It’s mainly overpriced and looks gay, imo.

was meant for

Hatches literally doesn't fucking matter. Where do you want your wing on the car it's woopty do and is purely aesthetic

My car with a giant ass wing is somehow less factory riced out than your car with a giant wing because it's not a Focus!

The guy literally says its impossible to fix

It does seem like the Golf R would probably be the most similar car to the Focus. There isn't a lot of competition in this price that's as track oriented. I do want to do occasional track days (maybe 2 a year) and regular autocrosses with enough room to carry my wife (who gives no fucks about cars) and soon to be wife's son around when I want to go on a road trip. S3 seems like a waste of money to me.

Hell he even says in the video and I quote

"does this mean Subaru makes bad pistons? No every car maker and their cars have strengths in weaknesses for example in the Fa20 the pistons are good but we know the rods are the weakness when under excessive pressure..."

It's supposed to be practical shithead

SeeYou stupid meming fuck. Glad you just ignored literally everything I pointed out on how wrong you were so you diverted to a side point about how it's unfixable when in reality if that happened to your car you'd just bring it to a Subaru dealership for warranty. Oh no that's right you voided your warranty because you tuned it

i mean you can complain about it but that doesnt change anything. focus rs looks like a car for teenagers. sti early to mid 20s, golf r late 20s maybe 30, s3 30s, and if youre still driving a car like this into your 40s then youre beyond hope and might actually loop back to buying a car like the focus rs so hey maybe there is a market for these things.

Practically to what? A daily driver? It's perfectly drivable for a daily driver and like all cars it'll go tens of thousands of miles without issues of any kind. But now when you're taking bits and pieces from a YouTube video you clearly didn't watch or let alone understand I see you here trying to recover with dinky one liners irrelevant to my point not actually responding at all and it's not doing you any justice

>practical

OK so a sedan size trunk is impractical?

you cant fit a dormroom full of ikea furniture in a sedan trunk. which is really the only reason hot hatches exist. which is why you dont see adults driving them.

Hatchbacks exist for a reason: you can fit a bunch of shit in there. Your argument is akin to saying truck beds exist for aesthetics

I meant see Not

>hmm you can fit a lot of stuff in there

So you want a car to track but then bitch about trunk space

Wow great thread I'm sure you're just filling your back seat with all your belongings because you're homeless sleeping in your car. I'm sure your trunk space is just brimming with shit filling up the window too

A friend of mine got one and the trans died at just 15k miles

Too small.

Burgers want big SUVs and trucks

IMO i'm with you, there is no reason to go with the S3 over the Golf R especially given the price difference between the two.

Wtf I love bikes now

Sounds like he shifts like shit and ruined his transmission slam shifting and launching. Never heard of the transmission issue on the focus rs

Hatchbacks are lame, if I'm doling out money for a performance car I want it to be a coupe or a sedan

This isn't obscure knowedge. Look at the other vids on youtube. Pile up all the threads on Nasioc. It's been something that's known to have been an issue for a while now. Espesically among people who do track days. I almost have to use two hands to count how many I've literally seen fucking blow up. The only time I ever see talk about this bullshit as not being a problem are fan boys it hasn't happened to yet or the shops that sell the parts to fix them. You like the STI, cool, it's got it's good points. I don't feel like changing my engine at 30k miles (or 50k km). You can have fun with that. I'm not stupid, I'm not memeing, I'm not buying an STI. You can be mad about it all you want. Here's the last (you) you're getting from me on this.

caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-subaru-wrx-sti-in-depth-model-review-2018-subaru-wrx-sti-cargo-space-and-storage-review-car-and-driver-page-7
Cars and driver could fit more bags into an sti trunk than in the Ford focus rs hatch

I have a friend on his 2nd engine rebuild at 150k miles, he drives it aggresively but just on the street. Blew up the center diff also. Its unreal how underbuilt they are.

Any non-V8 Ford is garbage.

Once the rear diff overheats and shuts off it's a fwd, princess.

“However, all of the Subaru’s competitors are hatchbacks that offer greater versatility for swallowing cargo.”

Did you even read the article?

Any Details on that? Did he launch it a lot or was it just driven kinda normally. Did it grenade or just stop going into gear?

>This isn't obscure knowedge. Look at the other vids on youtube
Clearly because if I look at all the videos that agree with a confirmation bias I'm probably inclined (like you) to give them more efficacy even though it's evident you didn't watch it at all

>Pile up all the threads on Nasioc
Yea the forum that is notorious for people giving their cars shit tunes then bitching that they blew rings. This is where the ringland meme came for the Fa20 and yet the o ly people bitching were the ones who put 15psi+ on an engine already pushing 13psi stock

>I almost have to use two hands to count how many I've literally seen fucking blow up.
I'm sure you can count how many anecdotes you've witnessed but I bet you can't count how many anecdotes don't represent the tend of thousands of these cars on the road right now that don't and never will have this issue because your anecdotes are not a source. Especially when you want to pass of a video you didn't watch about a ringland issue that the video talks about primarily affects people who beat the fuck out of their cars with mods and tunes

>You like the STI, cool, it's got it's good points. I don't feel like changing my engine at 30k miles (or 50k km).
So now right here you recognize a paradigm shift in opinion as you try and divert away from your "facts" which are really just anecdotes you Google quickly and attempt to assert that it's just my opinion or something when really you're just meming out your ass. You then reinforce this by making up numbers like "replacing your engine every 30k" which isn't even a hyperbole because that's how bad you are at this

Did you even look at the chart? The focus fit less crap than the sti

>oh man this car is crap
>my friend drives it like shit, but only a little bit I swear
>it's amazing how bad these cars are

>boyracer ass car designed for tracks and boyracing
>breaks when you try to boyrace it

Seems like a common issue with Fords. They look fast but when it comes to performance they shit the bed or get smoked by cars that cost 1/3 as much.

The whole point is that its more versatile
Hatchback = big hole
Trunk = smaller hole

it looks like a giant angry fiat 500 with a wing

>despite having more theoretical room it fits less crap

You know he was talking about a STI, right?

The RS doesn't have a center diff, but let's not stop that from your memes.

>I drive my car like shit and I abuse it
>I complain about the consequences of driving like shit by granny shifting, hooning and other garbage and I am bewildered that my car cannot take the constant abuse

>heated seats
Where are you living where heated seats are unwelcome but AWD is? A pile of gravel?

>buy a car with a synchronised gearbox
>uuhhnggg....... grug no like granny shifters......

Yes actually

Well it works with both cars. Both are boyracer machines that break when you use them like they're intended.

It doesn't have a center diff because it's fake awd.

Plenty of people do the same to their trucks and they handle it fine. That's why you buy real performance vehicles and not suped up fwd grocery getters.

>blowing rings on 15psi

Kek

>wrx sti
>paddle shifters

You're fucking retarded

>their trucks and they handle it fine
No they don't. You're pulling more shit out of your ass because you want to compare apples and oranges. You've probably never heard of the issue with the Ford f150 differentials overheating causing the oil to polymerize

>grug no read.........read is for dum dums.............

>machines that break when you use them like they're intended.
Maybe they aren't intended to be treated that way if they can't take the abuse. Never the less we're they not advertised as being designed for the track.

>Plenty of people do the same to their trucks and they handle it fine.

Want to know how I know you don't know what you are talking about?

You never mentioned what car you were bitching about. The focus doesn't have a center differential so it must have been the wrx sti. The wrx sti doesn't have a sequential gear box so you're bullshitting again

Yea I wish I could find more of them. A lot of the ones in my area are either used up (traded just before warranty is done) or priced a little high compared to the focus. I don't give much of a shit about the image of the car and it looks nice enough for me. The seats could be better (position and bottom) but they're ok for something that's advertised as sporty. The S3 is a price class of car above what I'm looking for and wouldn't be for me even if it was in my budget. Probably something like a stinger or the newer infiniti's\lexus at that point). With the STI being a cross off there isn't a lot left aside from going down into the slower FWD only ecobox bracket or cross shopping sport cars like the mustang/camaro. If this cheap one I'm looking at get sold under me I might end up doing that. Unless of course a golf R that's not being tossed away like a grenade comes up first.

Meh, high power FWD isn't worth much more than the burnt tires that come from looking at the gas pedal crooked. Lived that life a decade ago not looking for a flashback.The cars can get some balls in them though that's for sure.

The meme wheel drive of the Focus is preferable to FWD to me regardless of the climate. Heated seats would be great if it didn't have to come 5k worth of bullshit I don't need/want. So given the choice id' rather nix it.

>tfw your car runs 21psi stock

Engine problems that Ford won't cover. Literally becomes useless after 30,000km.

Go with the type R or GTI.

>go to look at Focus RS
>look across the lot and see a Mustang GT for cheaper