freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?d=1462716999241&mkt=de-DE&setlang=en-US&w=xEsMxqoa0KJSwMsTh3p_8w2qryykfDvB
youtube.com/watch?v=YZWKdw03Gls
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Godot.

REAL THREAD

you're late you retard. the last thread 404'd a long time ago

Reminder that anime wards off shitposters.

Gamedev is dead.

Reminder Demo Day 16 is in 3 weeks.
Will you have a demo ready in 3 weeks?

That one has reached a fair bit of popularity. I only picked it up because GMS started to run really badly after the whole switch to Studio, but GODOT is fine.

I better have finished this stupidly small project in 3 weeks.

Why does Veeky Forums have so so many haters everywhere?

>I better have finished this stupidly small project in 3 weeks
Prepare for a surprise

>trying to finish this medium-small project or at least be in a nearly-done-just-polish phase in the next 2 weeks

Kill me

Animation Curves are super cool. Wish I had learned about them earlier. No more linear lerps for me.

Mix of literal children who find it funny to be edgy, and losers who are max salty about their station in life.

That is what I said to myself 8 months ago. Goddammit.

What are some examples of cool forest villages in RPGs? Need some inspiration.

The treefort town in pokemon RSE

im going to try and make a mmo fps sci fi game, i have no skills with anything except sound design and im messing around with unreal, what should i focus on first? models? overall gameplay cycle? learning to code?

First learn to code since it is easier, then go learn how to do models. Godspeed, user.

>super thick eyebr...
>super thick eyelashes
what the fug

practice coping with disappointment

don't lose your head over some cuteposters on the internet

thanks user, just grabbed The Unreal Engine Developer Course on udemy
im a master already

The half-elf village in Tales of Symphonia is pretty comfy

fuck that, if you're an artist I want to work with you, you can message me at General_Vagueness#3453 on Discord

Any programmers here looking for an artist?

right above you man

Sure, what do you draw with?

>a mmo
First of all, it's "an MMO", as in "an emm emm ow".
NOT "a emm emm ow"
Fuck you.
"a mmh mmh ohh"? Get real.

But seriously, you're not going to make it. Learn to code with some language that has a C-like syntax just so you aren't completely in the dark. Take some time to make a few simple programs (they don't need to be useful, they're just for hand-on experience). Then fuck about with private servers of your favorite MMO (make sure to dodge the dodgy bits of private server development). Scour the code of different server bases and realize you're in over your league. Then proceed to make a couple of simple games with the tools of your choice. Once you're not completely lost, begin working on your multiplayer persistent virtual world. Be prepared to re-write it a couple times over once you realize your code is unusable. Keep at it for a year or two, you might be able to present an alpha version to the public.

Oh, and keep your scope small. You can make a multiplayer map with a chatroom in a week, but an actual game will take time and understanding. Not just understanding of code, but of the design principles of the genre. Read some Bartle.

why does aggy daggy hate transgendered people

programmer looking for artists. post software you make art in

Can I get an opinion on which type of rocks for the floating island looks better?

pointy rocks

Im sorry?

>using discuck

Have any AAA devs ever visited here

What's up?

>he doesn't draw using any tools
Haha nevermind, thanks.

Pointy if the islands are natural, flat if they're manmade/constructed

box rocks

Yes, my dad works at nintendo.

me. i'm planning on releasing an aaa game.

Right side.

>rocks
Wowww nice Stardew Valley clone

I am an AAA game. I feel like I have no Father.

Why not both?

uhhh I do draw with tools? I just dont see thats any concern of the programmer? besides first things first we should be talking about what engine you would use?

actually this. pointy for wilder areas and boxy for more civilised

I think someone from Paradox asked why I wanted them as a publisher, but I didn't know what to say

RIP my future

The first thing we should be talking about is what logo will you use for your game? Marketing is very important.

>t. Fleet Tactical Command dev

>have a few drinks while devving
>have a few more
>accidentally delete my entire main script
>haven't backed up in 20 or so hours worth of devtime
>just manage to recover it

cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?d=1462716999241&mkt=de-DE&setlang=en-US&w=xEsMxqoa0KJSwMsTh3p_8w2qryykfDvB

Jesus christ user that's a scary story

I'm not clicking that. I keep my dev environment (windows) spotlist. I won't accept any foreign code running that isn't reputable - only reputable code. I won't even pirate games I want to try out, I just don't play them if they're over $4. It's not being cheap, it's being practical. I know myself and I will not spend money on frivolous games with potentially insecure code, even if it is on steam.

Only partially sarcastic

I do video production at the tech company I work at and I nearly shit a brick when I realized no one had thought to make backups of the stuff we were working on prior to me working there

hmm i better do some pushes now

I've been working on this thing for almost a month now, very barebones atm but I'm really happy with how far it's come along. I'm trying to get some turn-based final fantasy combat going but it's being a surprisingly big challenge for me, not so much to calculate the back and forth of damage and blocks and whatever, but to actually animate the thing. virtually everything I've ever made has been real-time and I am very much a hobbyist, I've been blazing a lot of new trails in this project.

any tips or tricks for turn-based combat, especially in regards to animating it, would be greatly appreciated.

once someone replied to this with this multi-panel comic thing that had mispelled words like "ALERM EMARGENCY"
If you could please post this again thank you

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, make them wait their turn. Instead of constant actions, make everything wait for its next command other than idle animations, then have functions called when they actually do something.

I am going to throttle you

my younger brother's second cousin works at nintendo

I'll do my best user thanks for the recommendation

Remember people: back your shit up.

this thread is for game development, not sharing your bathroom schedule

Seems like pretty good progress for a month

Animation and art is the creation of the devil. We should have never left the console. I'll be praying for you user.

>in regards to animating it,
If the rules are interesting enough, you can get away with relatively low effort animations. An idle animation that's a couple frames, one attack animation, and one hurt animation or even a single frame. Make up the rest with easing functions and squash and stretch.

The more resources an attack uses (mana, cast time, etc. etc.), the more badass it should feel to use

In Final Fantasy Tactics, a basic attack with a sword is just a sword swing, but special abilities get cool effects and summons can get pretty intricate.

It should feel rewarding.

>especially in regards to animating it
i don't see why it would be much different than regular animation.

Particles
youtube.com/watch?v=YZWKdw03Gls

Just as an addition

There are ways to you can convey information that don't require fancy animations: for example, in Fire Emblem games half the reason you can tell units are inactive is that they're greyed out, while active units are not.

yeah I was thinking something along those lines. barring ability functions they all are functionally the same, so I have them taking turns which is tracked by a turn order table that lists their entity numbers from fastest to shortest (and an action-check to make sure they don't act twice in the same round if the turn order changes) the ramshackle code I have for it right now is incredibly shoddy and I feel like I have writers block.

fuck you buddy, hes making his meme dreams real

don't dissuade him

Got my first debuff working. I'm at the point where I'm just trying to make a bunch of spells before I start trying to get actual combat set up.

>Seems like pretty good progress for a month

luckily thanks to the basis of the project being a community thing, the only art I had to draw was the tileset; almost all of my time has went into the code.

That thread was made first and has a cleaner OP

I have javascript turned off so when I went to the page it only listed the 5.x versions, not 2017.1, so I thought it didn't apply to me and went hours without patching

Hi, I'm Alvin at Autodesk.
I sure hope you aren't pirating our software, we offer reasonable rates for students :)

We really look forward to playing your games! But if you pirate our shit best be setting up your LLC. See you in court retard.

I only back up on the days that I actually dev.

I didn't discourage him, I gave him valuable advice. Maybe with enough help he'll be able to compete with me, but I doubt it!

Your software is literally free if you claim you're a student and give an email (at least when I last checked)

You should review the terms of service :)
See you in court

I only use gimp and blender.

LAWYERS GET OUT

>my backup is literally just a dropbox folder

>this many backups

wew I just have a single project folder I save over every couple days

Are you protecting yourself against both small fuckups and total hard drive loss?

The dates help me remember all the years I've wasted.

Yeah, but what if I'm actually a student? I'll be walking out of that courtroom with a load of dough from the pain and suffering countersuit. So long fuckboyyyyy!

I used to save project folders so I could look back in the future and see how my game was at different points in development, but demoday demos are better for that

I guess? If something's a total fuckup I won't have saved it, and it's online so it survives the hard drive crash too.

It may be free if you're a student but you still have to create an account and agree to their terms you fucking donut

Keeping records of changelogs for different build steps is a good way in the interim.

my backup is on an external hard drive, and for small fuckups I use the magical ctrl + z

we've moved proactive not reactive
So show me your proof babe :)

right, right, how many lawyers you got?

Yeah, well what are you gonna do about it? You can't tell shit if a model is made in blender or gimp or autodesk

>how many lawyers you got?
Back the fuck off?? Stop harassing me.

I'm an enginedev and I have no purpose

The question is, what are YOU going to do

>Stop harassing me.
You have something to hide? Come on man, be reasonable. We can work something out.

>I'm an enginedev
Why?

This is definitely better than the bootloader conversation in the thread the janitors deleted

I don't even have anything from autodesk installed. Y-you can trust me, mister. I wouldn't lie!

Nothing, I said nothing!