Monkey paw president

>relaxes fuel economy standards because heavier vehicles are ""safer""
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-12/safety-of-heavier-cars-may-be-used-to-lower-u-s-fuel-efficiency

Other urls found in this thread:

motortrend.com/news/the-dodge-viper-is-being-axed-because-it-cant-fit-curtain-airbags/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>relaxes fuel economy standards because oil execs like to buy me vacations to places far away from my constituents

I have no problems with this. CAFE is retarded and is killing the entire industry. Maybe he'll do something about pedestrian impact requirements next.

why is cafe retarded

fucking cool
mpg regulations where a fucking mistake
Can't wait till we get 8.0L of freedom again
also didn't dodge kill the new viper because of these stupid mpg regs?

It's why trucks are fuck hueg now. Emissions is tied to wheelbase, larger vehicles are easier to make compliant.

>muh poor car industry, they never get a break, boo hoo

trucks have always been huge. the reason they're so big is because people like big towing numbers so they need rooms for big radiators/intercoolers

no it was for safety reasons
motortrend.com/news/the-dodge-viper-is-being-axed-because-it-cant-fit-curtain-airbags/

>be American
>can't buy new cars without twenty airbags and a backup camera anymore

This has nothing to do with the companies, and everything to do with consumers.

The truck needs to be 4 inches wider to fit a bigger rad? Nah. It's mostly the big ass tire and wheel combos that warrant the wide ass bodies and massive love handle like fender flares on modern trucks. Trucks wheelbases haven't changed that much over the years.

maybe trump should also remove these retarded safety regulations. At least its a start with the removal of retarded gas rules.

Truck have been as wide as they are now since the '60s. 80 inches have tradition. They've only become marginally longer and taller.

it's better for companies to be obligated to include them, and include them in the price, than it is to charge extra for them because they'd gouge the fuck out of it

no road accidents kill many whiteâ„¢ americans
we need to keep our country safe

Trump is such a fucktard. It's like he wants the US to go back to making complete garbage.

>american cars
>good
>ever
They removed the only good feature from American vehicles
A BIG FUCKING ENGINE

Regulations hurt the entire industry

No, it causes companies to make better cars. All stuff like this does is promote garbage.

have you ever driven a car with a really big motor? like the old 8.1L Silverados? they're fucking miserable. the engine is so fucking lazy that it's like trying to push your alcoholic uncle out of the recliner to cut the grass. shit won't get done any time soon, and when it is done it won't be quality.

not to mention the Corvette still has a 6.2L, the F250 has a 6.7L:, the Mustang has a 5.2L, etc.

people say stuff like this and then lust after cars from Japans displacement limit era. rules breed creativity

It just made cars into bloated clones of one another. Cars are so advanced they cost too much to repair. Welcome to the age of disposable iVehicles.

Cars have always looked similar.
If you can't afford to repair it you shouldn't get one in the first place.
Cars have always been disposable.

and they're not even disposable. most of a car is made to be recycled

Yeah, that era when everyone sandbagged on the hp figures, design wasn't limited to pedestrian safety concerns, engines were simple and reliable, and they weren't clones of another design?

>wanting the world to be objectively more dangerous and worse off because MUH DRUMPF
How many times does the president have to fuck up until you quacks admit he was a mistake?

lol you are delusional.

>old 8.1L Silverados
dumb fuck

It's not about cost, it's about worth and value. It's not worth it to fix because the cost is more than the car is worth. This applies to wealthy individuals especially that buy "luxury" brands like Audi or MB. Drive it a few years under warranty, get another.

Has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with bloated ugly cars.
Nice argument

Things have always been this way.

>tfw I dont know shit about emissions laws or engineering
>I just want manufacturers to bring back smaller-wheelbase pickup trucks that don't suck 1 gallon per mile
Should I be happy or worried about this news

worried. not to mention we have Colorado/Ranger/Tacoma, so what is keeping you from buying something.

>When you don't have an argument so you claim no argument as your argument

You're just a nostalgiafag, cars are better now, cars have always looked similar, and lol at simple and reliable just because it's old.

You don't know shit.

inb4 minimum weight limit of 1.5 tons for "safety". Anything on the road smaller than a full sized family sedan will get obliterated, and sports cars/coupes will have to stop production because they will now no longer be street legal.

>we have Colorado/Ranger/Tacoma, so what is keeping you from buying something.
these "small" trucks are fucking the same size as 90's 2500 or f250s

oh poor baby

Go look at the Nissan lineup, they are entirely the same design in different sizes.

He's not wrong, though. An ideal truck for me is a truck the size of a mid-to-late 90's Taco or tundra.

SOON

Then why not buy one and spend the difference making it better?

Ok? I fail to see the problem, it makes the car instantly recognizable as a Nissan.

>>Then why not buy one and spend the difference making it better?
I live in a special cursed black hole of the USA where any used cars/trucks with any value go for $3-5k more than their true value.

i prefer the reverse
more fuel efficiency = relaxed safety standards

if a manual civic vx hatch from the early 90s can get 45 mpg city with a featherlight chassis, imagine a modern civic with a modern engine tech with a featherlight body.

wait. we're just accepting that
>heavier vehicles are ""safer""?
You guys do realize that if i'm about to crash into an average vehicle, i sure want my vehicle to be as heavy as possible in order to reduce the speedchange i will have? But that this comes at the cost of a larger speedchange of the vehicle i'm hitting?
And that if you start policies to increase the national average vehicle weight, a collision between a heavy car and my heavy car is just as dangerous as a collision between two lighter cars?
so what will happen is that people who buy NEW cars are safer at the expense of older cars. (instead of... you know.. making cars safer).
the national road safety will not increase by making clear 'winners' in collisions and clear losers. at best it will remain equal.
this policy is clearly aimed at giving american car companies an advantage over european/asian brands. but it's not a sustainable advantage as it is also a clear disadvantage for US companies in europe. and road safety will not increase.

Bring back pop up headlights!

this is a good thing for enthusiasts. v8s will make an even bigger comeback. and may even get some legendary v10s out of the deal.

Friendly reminder: Tesla is the safest/heaviest car you can buy and exceeds CAFE standards for 2025

>trucks have always been huge

>everything will be electric eventually now that electric cars are genuinely viable
Who gives a fuck about MPGs nowadays?

it's a shame they are utter shit

1.5 tons is only 3klbs brainlet. literally every midsize car could qualify.

>i'd buy a 40k new truck if they made what I want
>I won't buy a 3-5k truck that's exactly what I want
lying poorfag nigger. this is why they don't make new stripped cars. you're fucking poor like everyone else who wants one.

more specifically, it was changed to that in the late 00's.

Before that, all automobiles had to adhere to the same CAFE requirements. It's been that way since the very start of CAFE. It disproportionately benefitted smaller vehicles, which is why there were so many small coupes in the 80's and the general reason for the turn to downsizing each decade since the 70's.

but when CAFE was changed, it was changed so it wouldnt be so rough on trucks. So larger vehicles with larger wheelbases had less stringent regulations on their engines because it was unreasonable to expect a pickup to get the same mileage as a prius.

But the consequence of this, it had the opposite effect than before. Now small pickups are just unfeasible to make, because they have normal wheelbases, and therefore have to adhere to stricter standards, which means at the end of the day, the small pickup costs the same amount as the big pickup.

that complete garbage taught an entire generation how to tinker with their cars, and were the primary reason for teaching machine shop in high schools.

Quit buying shitty toyotas you fucking nigger

Secretly it would put ashame muh ferrari muh racing heritage and it became the basis for the superfast. Come the fuck on, the viper made so much money it would've been retarded to not put in tbe effort to bring it into compliance

>congregation where hipsters work on their screenplays and buy $7 sugar drinks
>not retarded

>bimbo checking facebook while driving her boxed on fright liner
>crushes 3 cars a the stop light
>continues and goes through a small business
>flattens 3 houses killing everyone
>finally stops when looks up and realizes she's not on the road anymore
>"Well SHE didn't die!"
>safer

>muh regulations muh soyboy

next

>based Drumpf finally got rid of the EPA
>look at the soyboy all worried about cancer
>maga11

Looks comfy, i don't mind the haze from all the polluted fumes of an opened up american V8.

>Lowering efficiency
You know how retarded that sounds to do from a business aspect in selling anything that isn't a sports vehicle?

If it saves even one life it will be worth it. You don't favor killing people - especially women and children who are weaker and more easily killed in a crash - because of dangerously flimsy vehicles do you? What kind of deranged savage are you?

this, if you're sick of everything looking like a fucking malignant tumor with massive pillars, FE-FD layout, and just a fucking golfcart with an ipad, you'll let CAFE die.
bonus points if the rollover safety standards got shitcanned too.

Who in the fuck would opt it though? None of the people I know give half a fuck about airbags beyond the steering wheel one since it's enough for commuting speeds. If you plan on crashing magnificently you might as well get a harness and some basic rollcage.

it's not, I don't want more shit in my wiring harness, I don't want fuckmassive pillars, and I don't want 6 recalls because the fucking chinese airbags don't work, and I don't care if I die in a rollover.
I just want front engine, rear wheel drive, metal cars with high powered engines to return again. I'm sick of crossovers, I'm sick of compacts, I'm sick of everything looking like a fucking bulging pimple so it meets aero standards.

population control and natural fucking selection

Yuropoors have been paying through the nose for the gasoline for ages, but that didn't stop them from making innovations in safety features. In fact, the three point seatbelt we use today was developed by the Yuropoors. Yuropoors had to work within limitations and they also produce many of the world's fastest cars, while Americans were always about "no replacement for (physical) displacement". Maybe, JUST fucking MAYBE, we should tax vehicle sizes and weight? If everyone is forced to drive cars of similar sizes, the fatality rates will drop, and our cars will become more fuel efficient as well.

Fuck off cuck

not our fault you don't have oilfields. fuck off.

My SUV is infinitely more comfy than a yuropoor cuckbox

faygott