Redpill me on the "new car" meme

Redpill me on the "new car" meme.

I don't come to Veeky Forums much as I don't know that much about cars. I am, however, in the market for a new daily driver. I'm looking for a sporty coupe that's fun to drive and isn't that big on gas mileage. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but what I'm really here for is to find out whether I should be shopping new or used.

From what I have seen from lurking, a lot of people here turn their noses up at new cars and tend to shop used. I suppose that makes sense if you're into cars and are able and feel up to putting a bunch of work into it yourself. For someone like me, however, who doesn't know a lot about working on cars, I feel safer about buying something new and fully warrantied.

So, new or used?

>Redpill me
Kill you are self

Ok so tell us the following:

Budget?
Finance through dealer, bank, or Credit Union?
What range is your credit score in?
Are you going to trade in?
Any down payments?
Have you played around with a auto loan calculator?

Veeky Forums dislikes new cars because Veeky Forums is filled with poorfags that can only afford used shitboxes and are jealous of people with money

Same with Reddit.

Veeky Forums dislikes new cars becuase a year or two older model is like 10 grand cheaper typically, and even older models don't have a shit-ton of bullshit electricals that will fail and cost you the amount of the car to fix.

And my IRA makes higher returns than my interest rate on my car loan. Why would I pay in cash for a new car when that cash can make me more money?

what's wrong with your current car?

>needing a warranty
so you're a poorfag that doesn't have money set aside?

OP I recommend taking a quick read of this short thread. Basically answers your question, more or less. If you have questions after reading that thread post them here or there, I'm monitoring both.

for the price of a brand new shitbox you could afford a luxery second hand car, it doesnt even have to be that old or that used.

for the price of a brand new luxery car you could afford a second hand super car.

for the price of a brand new supercar you could afford multiple second hand supercars or one much rarer classic car.

honestly bless the richtards that actually buy cars brand new for providing the rest of us with cheaper nicer used cars for sale.

but unless your rich and the car you want is special or theres a real reason you want it brand new theres really no reason to.

op look for the car you want to buy and then look on the internet and you will find that same car that was bought for someone with daddys money and then sold a year later when they got bored of it and it will be half the price of a brand new one.

I used to work in a bank, whose primary market is auto finance (retail, commercial, business, etc).
This is an example of a depreciation schedule (aggregated, and another one for a specific facility)
On day one, you lose effectively 25%-28%, and the first year about 30%-35% of the asset value depending on the car.

But, lets face it, a car with 1km, and a car with 10,000km are about the same. So, why not buy a car one year old with ~relatively~ low mileage.

Once a car reaches 5 years, obviously the mileage and the wear becomes a factor, and hence the low values in resale.
Also Jap cars are more reliable than German ones, hence the lifecycle being much longer.

>I am, however, in the market for a new daily driver. I'm looking for a sporty coupe that's fun to drive and isn't that big on gas mileage. Any suggestions would be appreciated, but what I'm really here for is to find out whether I should be shopping new or used.

On your request for a recommendation, would help to know budget, location, etc.
I can easily say what a good car is in a particular market if I live there (e.g. UK), but in NL it'll be a completely different answer.

OP here
No

>Budget?
~$45k
>Finance through dealer, bank, or Credit Union?
Dealer
>Are you going to trade in?
No
>Any down payments?
~$10k

>needing a warranty
>>so you're a poorfag that doesn't have money set aside?
Quite possibly the least intelligent thing I've read today.

Thank you for the input

Budget is $45k and I'm in the US

45k could get you a used cayman s. buy from carmax and get the warranty if you're so worried.

i dislike dealer new cars because even 5k miles and 1 model year later you can shave off like 15-20% of initial cost.

Yeah, this.
Also a mustang.
Nissan 370Z.
Used Carrera.
RC500.
F-Type V6.
Infiniti Q60.

Probably a couple others out there too.

Used cars have always had significantly higher interest rates though. Manufacturers offer some pretty incredible financing deals if you have decent credit.

people with money don't waste it

The 2018 370z is one of the first cars I looked at because I have always wanted a Z, but I'm very disappointed that Nissan hasn't done anything with it in over a decade. The interior is completely bare-bones and outdated, which wouldn't matter except that this is going to be my daily driver.

I'm kind of hoping someone could sell me on a new 370z, but all of the reviews seem to echo exactly how I feel about the 2018's being outdated and in desperate need of an upgrade/overhaul

I would only buy new if the car was special. Something you'd keep forever and enjoy every part of it.
If it's just a DD or econobox I would just go used.

Yeah mate your instincts are correct. It was a cool car a decade ago when it was the exact same thing. Now it is old. As others suggested, maybe an Infiniti Q60 Red Sport would suit you, but it wouldn't be in my top 3.

I'll add
C43 AMG (over budget)
4 series
Accord V6

Mitsubishi mirage.

As the person earlier advocating for buying new, yes I completely agree with this statement. If it's an econobox, "disposable" car, or some kind of vehicle you just need to buy real quick because of something currently happening in your life (work truck, baby large safe car, etc) then just buy used. However if you want to daily drive something you're really passionate about like a new Corvette, Mustang, Challenger, etc then I'd say buy new and keep forever.

Bump for interest.
Literally in the same boat as you right now but have a budget of only $30K at the moment.

>new
Basically guaranteed dealer warranty
Latest and greatest for a year
>used
Cheaper
Latest and greatest of yesteryear
Still a warranty if you buy from a dealer.

Seriously, if you have 10,000 to put down on a new car, take it and buy an older car of the same model (ex: a new Regal GS costs about 45000-50000 optioned out, but a used one with under 150000 hails 4000 tops which leaves you with about the same amount for repairs and upgrades when factoring in taxes). So, do yourself a favor and buy yourself a luxury car of yesteryear and don't put yourself in debt with a new car.

A lot of used cars don't have a warranty tho which can make all the difference in the world.

With the money you save buying used vs new (that is, if you don't put yourself in debt buying a car) you can pay for repairs yourself as they come up.

You're forgetting that interest rates for used cars, even a couple years old, are significantly higher than that of a new car through the manufacturer's financial company.

Get a Mustang GT or something. Brand new GTs are $35k, brand new Mustangs with the Ecoboost are $25k. The Ecoboost Premium is around $30k I think. The Ecoboost is still super quick for a 4 cylinder and gets good mileage and cheap insurance.

This is the correct answer.

This. Get the $25k brand new Mustang Ecoboost and invest the remaining $4k you have. This is assuming you have decent credit so you get a decent rate.

Does a Mustang really work well with a 4 cylinder? Seems like it would be terribly under powered

Not terrible for a 4 cylinder I'd say. If it were me I'd *absolutely* spend another few dollars per month to get the GT, but I'm a V8 whore so you may prefer to save money on the 4 cylinder through upfront cost, insurance, and gas savings.

With incentives and haggling with multiple dealers it isn't uncommon to get a new car cheaper than a one year old used car depending on the make.

Is that the BMW 4 series?