Just drove standard for the first time

>just drove standard for the first time
>stall out countless times
>get told to "give it more throttle"
>dump the clutch instead because I can't into balance
Fuckin' exhilarating I'm so glad I bought a stick shift. I'm pretty sure this vid is what happened lmao
youtu.be/4y75Fel7mMo

PS how much can I fuck my car by learning on it? Might get a rental and let that take the damage

nice. you cant hurt it much just learning. youd really have to be trying to fuck it up for days.
btw are we jenna posting on o?

Ty. And yes, yes we are

Don’t shift into first or second from a high speed or you’ll fuck the engine.

Yea I knew shit was fucked after the burnout so I just went slow to the end of the street and had my buddy turn me around. Didn't know how to stop either so I did some weird combo of braking and shifting to neutral, whatever I did worked.

>braking while in neutral
That's what I do too but I think it's not what you're supposed to do

You should always be in gear unless you're changing gear.

Coasting in neutral is a bad habit and is classed as not being in control of the vehicle in driving tests.

No you are supposed to downshift and let the engine do most of the braking for you.

Be careful of autocucks behind you though, they'll probably get confused that your car is slowing down without brake lights.

Sounds like a good way to get a no fault accident... Hehehe...

normal practice is to engine brake (let off gas and leave all the pedals alone) until the revs are low (sub 2k rpm usually) and then put it in neutral and brake until full stop. there’s nothing wrong with pulling it out of gear and using the brakes which are supposed to wear down. downshifting through all of the gears is more of an advanced technique and not really necessary off the track. good to practice tho. as you get more experience it will become intuitive in the moment what to do.
never heard this are you outside the us?
to an extent this. def true about autocucks tho lol

>normal practice is to engine brake (let off gas and leave all the pedals alone) until the revs are low (sub 2k rpm usually) and then put it in neutral and brake until full stop.
Ok, thanks for making it easily digestible. That makes sense.

>Are you outside the US

Yeah, Australia.

I don't know how to drive stick.
I'm looking at purchasing a vehicle with a manual transmission in a private sale.
how the fuck do I test drive this thing without fucking myself out of a purchase? I'd really like to get this thing.

Get someone else to test drive it for you.

yeah, you're right. that's just kind of odd you know?
>hey yeah I'm buying the car but my buddy is gonna test drive it
just seems strange to me. maybe I'm just overthinking it.

>btw are we jenna posting
like this?

You're overthinking it, it's nowhere near as odd as it seems. It's how I bought my first manual. Shit you can even ask the seller for a test ride.

I’m doing in the process of doing this exact thing at the moment with my dad

I did test drive a similar auto one though but going to purchase a higher spec manual version

Do you actually intend to buy the fucking thing? You don't test drive a used car "to see if you like it," use it to suss out any problems in the powertrain/suspension that occur while moving/under load.

you should have already decided on wether or not you want the car before you drive it. The drive is just a confirmation check. If you're buying the car, tell him you suck at stick and are going drive like a herky-jerky asshole, but you're buying the car so it isn't his problem. or ask him to drive it for you.

>you should have already decided on wether or not you want the car before you drive it.

How would he know that? Test drives are a crucial part of car buying. You can do all the research you want but if you don't like how it drives then what then?

Not odd at all. Had a family friend test drive mine.

I still remember driving my newly bought car home in rush hour traffic (uphill) though. I was probably cms away from hitting the car behind me. Never been honked at so much.

Tips: learn how to drive stick from bong youtubers. Not leafs or burgers.

sure
np good luck don’t get too frustrated
dont fall off )))))

thanks guys, much appreciated.

yeah if I'm on a main road in the city doing ~45 I'll pop er in neutral and decelerate to 30 before giving a bit of rev and engine braking the rest just so anyone behind me gets the jist