The paint on my car is fine. Can I clean and buffer it and then just spray clear coats over the entire thing...

The paint on my car is fine. Can I clean and buffer it and then just spray clear coats over the entire thing? My current clear coat is getting near that age when it will start to peel. My mechanic mate said you can but paint shops are saying "oh we run into problems so we generally start from scratch" and then quote the price for an entire respray like the money sucking leeches they are

Really depends on the quality and thickness of the paint underneath.

In practice, it's near impossible to cut just the clear off and reclear the car without fucking it up.

one paint shop was pretty confident its doable
>well we can definitely help you out, if there is no dents or scratches that would need repairing then we can always give it a new clear coat, would you like to come down to our shop early this afternoon, we can.........
but still quoted 1250-2500

I dont want to cut the clear off I want to LAYER another coat right over the fucking top of it before the current clear goes bad.

basically wanna know what clear coat is best to use and will it just stick?

fuck it i am just going to do it and see what happens

Any shop willing to do this is just wanting to take your money for a spray and pray.

If your current clear is deteriorating, new clear sprayed on top won’t stop it.

Have your friend Tyrone spray it in his garage if you want it done cheap.

the current spray is not deteriorating

i jsut want to know if i can coat another on

nah do it op we dont take the clear coat off for no reason you definitely won't run into problems that you can't fix

well not going to spend on paint what i spent on the car like some dumb fuck paint smeller like u

even if i was a poorfag with a shitbox like you the paint still wouldn't cost me the same amount as my car seeing as i get it at cost and save on labour. think about it, idiot.

Even if you had some brain cells left over from sniffing paint youre such a fucking dumb cunt that you haven't even realised that what you just said is exactly what I'm doing, getting at cost and saving on paying some fucking drop kick like you who's too much of a dumb cunt to get into a college and too much of a useless cunt to get a real trade

Lmfao fix the dent in my car, bitch

Paint thread? Paint thread. I just dropped $170 on a gun and supplies, but still need paint. I know you thin out the paint (75/25; paint to mineral spirits), but what about adding clear coat? Some places say to mix it into your final coat to give it shine, others say to spray over. Wut do?

And the 75/25 was for rustoleum, whats the mixture for automotive paint?

you spray it over the base coat within 24 hours otherwise u have to prep the entire base

>tfw want to get my car sprayed but having trouble paying bills as it is

fuck this gay earth I just want to get hectic

No.

thats what a faggot would say

Why don't you do it yourself then you seem to be a professional.

Spraying more clear coat wont stop the original coating from deteriorating and ruining the fresh coat.
You buy yourself some time but unless youre doing it yourself its a waste of cash.

I can get a 8/10 whole car paint job for $2k from some illegal beaners that work out of a trailer up the road.

They were pros in nicaragua. The work is truly outstanding for the money.

Find some illegals.

this dude is so damn mad that he cant afford to have his shitbox painted

HAY RETARD IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO MAINTAIN YOUR CAR YOU CANNOT AFFORD OWNERSHIP

The bait

>DUDE JUST SPEND MONEY UNNECESSARILY LOL JUST PUT IT ON YOUR CREDIT CARD LOL WHY SAVE ANYTHING YOU'LL JUST BE DEAD EVENTUALLY

This is either bait or you are genuinely fucking stupid.

spray and pray

this guy gets it

the good thing is that the paint has no effect on the functionality of the car

just got back from my spraypainting job where i make way more money than op and glad to see this thread is still up so i can laugh at him

That's why you strip the coats before painting or at least everywhere detoriated and use the same type of paint as oem. Tired of people using wrong paint types together.

>clean and buffer it
>just spray clear coats over the entire thing

Totally OP, that should work great. Please post results.

Also don't waste money on a spray gun and compressor, that is a scam for the Jews. Just get rattle cans. Does the same job.

best paintjob on Veeky Forums

Think shingu did better with rattle can.

This would have been easily fixed with one or two more coats of colour my friend.

not bad
give it a coat or two and then it'll look top-notch

i done and it actually looks decent. might even put a coat of clear onto it and polish it up. hold my hands Veeky Forums

>hold my hands Veeky Forums

;3

Nothin beats shit jobs done for fun with a cutie.

Ill be doing a proper attempt on my dart this weekend

>My current clear coat is getting near that age when it will start to peel.
Then you should have been protecting the clear coat by waxing it with a liquid wax. Paste waxes are more difficult to apply and don't have as much solvent to pull out impurities from the clear coat that your car washing didn't pull out of the pores of your parched clear coat that is about to peel off. With a little luck, the solvents will semi-restore your parched clear coat's ability to continue sticking onto the surface of the paint. Nice choices of liquid waxes include for your parched clear coat would be meguiar's gold class, meguiar's ultimate, and turtle wax ice.

theres nothing wrong with a little gay beeing

Yes, there are plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it. Don't expect it to last near as long as a factory coat, though (it better sleep in a garage).

What's Veeky Forums's thought on plasti dip?

i personally think its good, luckily i discovere plastidip from the dip your car youtube channel so i got off on a good foot with it.

i think the hate comes from how most people first find out about the stuff through the horror storys, and the horror stories seem to only exist from people thinking you applie it the same way as regular paint

waste of time and money

my car was starting to peel so I wrapped it. It's starting to peel up in a couple spot s because I didn't really know what I was doing, but it's looked infinitely better than a clear coat peeling piece of shit. Im not too excited to peel it all up too, clear coat is probably totally fucked now.

I like it as a cheap and easy alternative to painting. It also protects from wear and tear: when I want to sell my car I can just remove the plastidip and the original rims will be clean and healthy underneath.

volvo?

RUB some fucking oil on that rust, and i dont mean the rust on the rotor but underneath the rockers

I haven't ridden my gsxr in a year and even my brakes aren't as rusty as yours...