Which Hatchback?

Okay Veeky Forums,
Recent college graduate/been in the workforce a few months and I'm needing a new ride, mainly just a DD.
Decided to go with a simple hatchback for now so things don't get outta hand cost wise (Fuel, insurance etc.)
I narrowed my choices to the following:

>Subaru Imperza (Maybe a Forester/Crosstrek if I get a REALLY good deal)
>VW Golf
>Mazda 3
>Honda Civic

What are the Pros/Cons of each? What would be the overall best choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1999-chevrolet-camaro-z28/6469376861.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/2002-bmw-330ci-convertible-5/6469063875.html
dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/d/1985-bmw-535i-e28/6466734676.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1986-bmw-635csi-rare-manual/6453502348.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/2002-vw-jetta-gli-24-valve-vr6/6488027079.html
dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/d/2002-volkswagen-passat-4000/6471443837.html
dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/d/1988-ford-bronco-custom-5/6468341500.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1994-acura-legend-2dr-coupe-6/6481250613.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1994-lexus-sc300/6476652415.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Manual or automatic?

The civic has a good manual transmission but a CVT for the automstic
. Civic reliability numbers are down, by Honda standards, this gen also for some reason.

Mazda 3 is probably the best value. It's the end of the generation and the engine and transmission have been rock solid. It has the best automatic option.

Don't buy an Impreza. AWD is useless without ground clearance and winter tires are all you need for snow. Crosstrek isn't bad if you need it because of the increased clearance.

VW seems more and more like the villain in a Bond movie but the golf has had good reliability by German standards. It is a pain to DYI a VW though.

>Automatic
I know, I'm a bitch but it's a DD and I don't plan on making mods/tuning up the car at all.

I was leaning toward the Subaru but I live in DFW and it only freezes over like once a year (Was looking at the Croostrek tho also but I really don't do any kind of "offroading")

Mazda I hear is good, sucks to hear about the Honda, I hear the Sport trim is good.

The VW tho is my first choice right now tho cuz I can get a 2017 SE tirm for below 20K at one dealership around here.

The Mazda 3. If you can hold off a few months, get the 2019 model and tell us how skyactiv X is

>hold off a few months
If that was the case, I'd just keep my current ride but that ship is on it's way out of the port if you know what I mean.

Also, doesn't Skyactiv X do the cylinder deactivation which can cause the uneven wear?

It uses compression ignition like a diesel at low RPMs then spark ignition for high RPMs. better mileage than their current diesel with more power and is on pump gas. Also diesel like torque

Keep your current car and fix it or get something used that's actually worth 20k

Oh nice but yeah tho, it's gonna be a 2017-18 for me at the moment.

I'd still go Mazda 3, the skyactiv G is still good. Subaru has really good financing though compared to Mazda

>Good financing
Oooh, I may wanna check that out.
I was between trade in and cash,going to put a big (like 50%) down payment on the car. The less I can monthly, the better. Ever extra penny I have will be thrown at my student loans for now.
That way in the future when I make more money, I won't have debt and I can get myself a really good ride.

>10k down
Pay cash for a more interesting car. A dd doesn't have to be a boring cuckbox.

Honestly the Honda Fit is probably your best option. Decent handling, amazing amounts of storage, good fuel economy. Cheaper than those choices too.

Honda fit, or if you want a boring bullet proof commuter a Corolla IM. Just budget $500 for an aftermarket stereo for the IM. It was just rated the cheapest 5 year cost to own. It is slow and so probably last 20 years.

Of the choices the OP listed get the Mazda. End of model clearance of he can wait.

Suggestions? I'm open to other cars.

post your local craigslist.

Fucking A, are you addicted to debt or something? Get an old shitbox until you're actually on your feet.

bought a civic hatch 17 recently, have put about 5k miles on it. So far no complaints. pic related

>not leveraging debt when interest rates are at historical lows

how is the underpowered 4 cylinder treating you? hate your life yet?

you're slower than at least half the cars on the road, how does that make you feel user?

really? i did basically zero research desu

it seems pretty quick to me and gets great mileage.

Reminds me, one psuedo-complaint is the 10 gal tank feels like it goes by quick but my old car was twice the capacity & my commute changed so its apples to oranges.

>CVT

>hurr look at all this interest I saved on a depreciating asset

174bhp from a small displacement 4 cylinder, mated to a CVT transmission, is almost the most depressing powertrain I can think of

you get +1 for it being turbocharged, but lose that 1 because it's so fucking heavy

in terms of styling, they aren't really bad looking cars, but this absolutely cucking of engines and transmissions really needs to fucking stop.

Do not get an impreza or crosstrek. They are ungodly slow. My guess is the non-xt forester is too but I haven't driven one. Anything without a turbo made by subaru is gonna be slow except maybe the 3.6r outback which they discontinued last I checked

interesting viewpoint

its my first car with a non-naturally-aspirated engine and my first time with a CVT. I think they go well together b/c it seems like its tuned to really hang in that turbo sweet spot.

I also really like the fact that the eco mode and sport mode actually make notable differences in how it feels.

>eco mode and sport mode

>1.5L engine
>sport

Except for student loans, I have no other debt. I would buy a shit box but I tried that once and it costed me an arm and a leg in repairs. Plus I make decent money and I haven't even been at my job for a year yet.

At work but I'm in Dallas. Zip code 75209

I bought a golf gti last year and it’s been one of the best purchases I’ve ever made when it comes to cars. The size is ideal for navigating the narrow city streets but the short nose and fold down rear seats gives you tons of utility. Seats 5 too. The thing is basically track ready too. Download a $599 ecu flash and you’re looking at a reliable 316bhp/381btq car. Don’t want to mess around with flashes? Take solace in the fact that the engine, turbo, and transmission are so overbuilt that people put 200k miles on stock internals while running 5+ lbs of boost over factory

sorry I’m rambling

just get a fucking gti

So I'm getting the feeling I should go for the Golf then?

Honestly, I had been looking at the GTI first but I decided to go with something cheaper. I have my eye on one and if it's still at the dealership when I go car shopping, I'll see what I can haggle it down too.

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1999-chevrolet-camaro-z28/6469376861.html

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/2002-bmw-330ci-convertible-5/6469063875.html

dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/d/1985-bmw-535i-e28/6466734676.html

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1986-bmw-635csi-rare-manual/6453502348.html

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/2002-vw-jetta-gli-24-valve-vr6/6488027079.html

dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/d/2002-volkswagen-passat-4000/6471443837.html

dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/d/1988-ford-bronco-custom-5/6468341500.html

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1994-acura-legend-2dr-coupe-6/6481250613.html

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1994-lexus-sc300/6476652415.html

The 1.5L turbo makes more than most economy 2L engines and the torque curve is great on it. I wouldn't buy it but the CVT is one of the better ones.

It is fairly quick too.

if you're in burger land, 2018 mazda 3 touring has best value for the price

Garbage.

Mazda seems like a good choice.

Wait a few momths and get a Veloster N.