E36 318is

Should I get one? Only going for the manual transmission, how hard are these to maintain on my own? No third party mechanics or stealership services.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kzrNKv8u8y0
youtube.com/watch?v=hnKl7ANuJn4
youtube.com/watch?v=GzPBQH1DHEU&t=943s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

literally a slav civic

But RWD and with a far better interior.

depends on what you want to do with it. as a DD, i think you'd be a lot more satisfied with a 325i or a 328i. to do """'drifitng""""" autocross, etc then its a fantastic car. the rear suspension is from the e30, and its lighter. the m44 is a fantastic bulletproof engine, but it just doesn't put out a lot of power.

>drifting with a 318i E36
Good luck. Maybe in the wet.

OP it's a great car with a build quality you'd be hard pressed to even find in modern cars.

I have track day'd a fully stock 318i with 115hp
it was pretty fun for my first track car, was relatively safe

>Maybe in the wet.
Definitely, not maybe.
youtube.com/watch?v=kzrNKv8u8y0

I've got one as my daily drive
Not that difficult to maintain, just be prepared to replace the entire cooling system if the previous owner didn't
And watch out for rust around the skirt, especially in ones made after 95, those have a plastic skirt than can deceptively hide rust
Note that you'll only be drifting downhill, when it is wet or if someone spilled sand on the road

don't all 318 compacts have the 140hp (is) engines? plus they have short gearing they can even drift on dry pavement.
my friend used to own a 318ti

I'm thinking the video title is a mistype, because it says in the description that it's a 318is, and it honestly is, it's a sedan as you can see in the video.
Even then, it's not like you can't drift something as weak as even a 316. It's not gonna be very impressive, but people do that.
youtube.com/watch?v=hnKl7ANuJn4

Also if you skip to around 8:50 in this video, the red compact is a 1.6
youtube.com/watch?v=GzPBQH1DHEU&t=943s

E36 Compact (e.g. 318ti) comes with E30 rear axle, regular 318is (Coupe, Sedan) has new E36 rear axle.

Despite what others are saying, the interior looks nice but tends to fall apart. The oil filter neck tends to crack and leak in general. Gauge cluster tends to shit the bed.

But it does okay on fuel and is moderately fun if you don't need the extra power of the 6 cyl

This guy knows.

My e36 interior is falling apart after years in the sun. Whole thing needs gutting and redoing.

Gauge cluster is also fucked, drops to 0 on and off occasionally.

Dont do it, youre in for a world of hurt.

e36 track car is a different beast though.

fixing something every few months on your old car is fun, not exactly a ''world of hurt''
replacing the cluster for example took me 5 minutes

No. Get a 328 at least.

yeah true. does anywhere besides europe even get the non compact 318ti? i've never seen a 318 sedan in america.

I know Latin America got the 318 sedan for every gen.

Watch out not to mix up things. 318ti and 318is are the same, but the 318i is completely different engine. Only the ti/is got direct injection.

Easy to maintain yourself. I picked up a 318ti as a spare car while I did some work on my DD and it was a giggle a minute, even with the weak as piss M44 engine. If you can wrench on a Corolla, you can wrench a 4 cylinder E36.

Thats not a 318is

>far better interior.
You've never owned an e36 before, have you?

i agree that the e36 has a bad interior but have you ever sat in a 90’s civic?
there is literally no sound insulation lmfao

At least it won't fall apart

after driving a ek civic for 6 months i’d rather drive a falling apart e36 every week

you can get an e36 m3 for not much more these days

yes they cost just ten times as much

>FWD shitbox
Literally the Golf

BMW is its own thing

e36 is the slav 200sx/corolla 86

I can agree, basically a substitute for Japanese Imports
E36 Compact basically is a Slavic Hachi Roku.
Coupe is S13/14, especially as it is the go to drift platform.
Sedan I am not sure, I guess the Altezza/mark 2?
E39 is like a Skyline Sedan.
Sucks BMW didn't really have a 6 series in the period

Had one for a year, all of the rubber and plastic in the engine bay was dissolving. It was a fun car, and it did drift pretty easily, but holy shit it kept having problems. Get one with less than 100k miles on it if you do. Also it's slow, really slow. Flooring it will yield nothing. I do regret getting rid of it though.

>not exactly a ''world of hurt''

Depending on the part, some E36 stuff is becoming worth more than gold

I paid 6500 in SW Ohio for a rust free (came from Texas in the last year) higher mileage (180k) but very nice 95 M3

I ended up selling it because it was dropped on coilovers, poly bushings all around, and the heater core started going. And I missed my Boxster that got totalled (which is how I bought the M3). So I traded it in, because fuck all poly and fuck coilovers on non-track cars