Quarter mile times

Amerifats redpill me on 1/4 mile times.
Is a car faster if it traps at a higher speed OR is the car faster if it sets a better time?
For example the Charger Hellcat sets a 1/4 mile in 10.4 @128 mph and a BMW M5 F90 in 10.9 @129 mph it means the BMW was faster or not?

Fast = Trap speed
Quick = Time

A car can run as fast as 150mph and as quick as 9.whatever seconds in the quarter mile.

t. Not american

it depends on the car. remember, only mklk and orange juice come in 2 liters. more cc equals faster car. period.

i'm retarded so pls no bully.
So in a real life drag race situation the winner would be the car who sets the best time not trap speed?

its not really a real life situation tho. u arent racing the guy next to you its how fast and quick you are

Depends on what type of drag racing, but yes if both cars are in the same class, its whomever gets to the finish line first, which means whomever has the shortest time.

>street race some guy
>he makes it to the finish before i do
>"yeah b-but i clocked a higher top speed!! i actually won!"
OP please tell me you're not this dumb.

thats not what im saying but i have to know before we do this

>trap speed
g-go on

well i had this argument with a die hard chevy/cadillac guy who actually did claim that having a better trap speed is more important.

That retarded logic is especially funny when you consider the fact that the car with the faster time mathematically also clocks the higher average speed.

thats because chevy and ford time things differently

elaborate

dont chevy cheat though?

chev have been caught before

under perfect circumstance a car with a higher trap speed that has lower quarter mile time can usually put on better tire set up to get better times, time is effected most by traction and 60ft times while trap speed is more of a engine power and transmission speed thing

Time is great because it proves you got there quicker.
In fact. The lowest time and lowest possible trap speed IS the perfect drag car.
It wouldnt have to high rpm it would get an amazing 60ft and the feeling off acceleration would be incredible.

like a car with tinny ass tires that has 400 hp and a 10 speed will have a high trap speed say 120 mph but a shit 60ft so might run 12.5 while a 350 hp car with a 6 speed and big tires will run say an 12.2 but at 115 mph

trap speeds mean cars good
quarter time means drivers good

hi guys im 686 i can give any advice needed here

Average speed is a useful metric for drag racing but highest speed doesn’t mean much f your car was only there for a an k shan’t and didn’t spend time traveling at that speed or higher.

If it's "head's up" (running against whoever lines up next to you) or divided by class (rules for what can be done to a car usually dictated by the NHRA or other sanctioning body that keeps cars of similar performance together for good competition) lowest E/T without redlighting wins.

Here's the thing, though- Drag racing isn't a perfect reflection of how quick or fast a car is, driver is really important because they might not be good at the dance of launching a manual car, they might have sluggish reaction time and cut shitty lights or not have the balls to powershift a bitch. You can see this with the auto journos test driving Dodge Demons at the strip and only going deep into the 11s with the things.

Trap speeds can say a lot of things, usually having to do with gearing or grip. If a car has real short gearing it might reach that 129mph at half track but that's all the faster it's going. Another car might have steep gearing and just be reaching that 129mph just as it crosses the traps. Big power cars with not much tire like the Hellcat can't launch too hard without smoking the tires but once they're rolling and hooked up they fuckin' move (why the FWD Honda kids love roll racing, don't have to make their car hook).

Basically, just E/T doesn't tell the whole story, if someone is trying to peddle quarter times as "means this car is better" tell 'em they're full of shit.