K&N Intake

Is this a meme?Will it grant any significant performance?

Other urls found in this thread:

speedlogixstore.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes

hi guys im 686, i can give any advice needed here

Yes as in it is a meme?or it will grant significant performance?And which would be better cold air intake or the short one?

Cold air will always be better. People literally put bags of ice on their intakes.

God no unless you've got a full exhaust and tune and even then you need a cam and if ur turbo up the boost

who IS this 686 guy?

Factory intake is already drawing cold air from the fender. Waste of money.

Is oiling these things needed or just fuck it?

ye but the pic related draws a larger amount which leads to better combustion

It works, even on its own (some dude put one on his 1.4 corsa, and it went from 60 to 66hp on the dyno, no shit added, just filter, that is 10%hp) but to get significant power gain from car that already has decent hp (lets say 120) the filter won't do much. It works better on shitty engines, since those were made to be economic, it removes part of their constrains.
To get something out of it you need:
-filter
-intake and filter insulation from hot air in engine compartment
-exhaust and tune

Without those your gains will be minimal, and in case of some engines, like m42b18 in 318is e36, gains will be minimal anyway, since those engines are made with little constrains.

Tl;dr - they're good for making shitboxes slightly faster if you have tight budget.

It added 5 hp and 5 lbs of torque to my 500. Its fun as hell to drive and when I put a cat back exhaust in its going to be so much fun. The extra power does wonders to your highway mileage as my car goes just as fast with less power needed. I hear modern intake systems are good though so you may not need one depending on what you have.

lol nice "car".
are you a teenage girl?

This guy gets it. If your car was designed for economy or just shitty from the factory it will be beneficial

Faggot car lol

I have one on my 5.3 and dynoed at 350hp

a faggot

>insulting someone’s car

>And which would be better cold air intake or the short one?

You actually want a hot air one, the hot air helps with compression due to burning the fuel faster, almost like a turbo, but with none of the lag.

I have one on my daily but just because the filter is reusable. No noticable diffrence in performance or economy

It'll make the engine louder, which might make you feel like you're going faster.

On a more serious note though, some shitboxes might have restrictive air intakes, or might have the intake right in the engine bay. In these cases, you might gain slightly more power and a more responsive throttle, and in a low-power shitbox (like, under 100hp) you MIGHT notice an extra 5bhp, but outside of this, it probably won't make any real difference.

Yes if your current intake is right over the exhaust manifold. Otherwise no.

Are you turbo or not? Short intakes benefit better from a turbo. Have a cold air intake seems a waste if you're turbo.

>Is this a meme
no
>Will it grant any significant performance?
no

>ye but the pic related draws a larger amount which leads to better combustion
There are some guys here that know what they're talking about. This guy isn't one of them.

>what is stoichiometry

It'll need more fuel to match the air if it's gonna make any gains, so it'll need a tune. It's not horsepower in a box, it needs work.

McM did a few myth busting videos on air filters, the best result was 6hp on a s2000, the skyline they tested it on was less hp

Its less about the power and more about that sick induction noise

>noticing a power increment of 5hp on your Fiat
>People literally put bags of ice on their intakes.
>almost like a turbo, but with none of the lag.

This fucking thread.

I'm about to do the Cobb tuning on my 18 WRX. Replace the entire exhaust, put in Cobb cold air, and get a tuner for it. Fucking excited.

these are just a meme, the only significant gains you are better off finding a ram-air type intake. you'll get the same "gains" by just replacing the stock filter with an aftermarket one that goes in the stock air box, dont get the oiled ones because oiling these things will just fuck up your MAF sensor.

fuck
i cant do an english holy shit.

You are gonna get like 10 wheel.

Ram air intakes are a meme since they draw in the hottest air near the engine, they easily increase the intake temps over a stock intake

not if its a sealed box with ducting or either the hood, or ducting that goes behind or integrated into the grille.

This Hellcat factory ram air is an example of this. (speedlogixstore. com/product-p/sx-hc-abit.htm)

another example.

just hydrolock my shit up senpai

Nice putdown busrider.

>fuck i love water: the intake

something like this wont work because as you mentioned, the air will heat soak before entering the engine, even if it has a small ways to go, only way this will really work is if there was a ram air hood with the proper cutout and a box of some sort under the filter itself sealing the filter against the hood allowing little heat to get in.

I assume that an intake like that would be primarily used for drag racing

Velocity stacks best gains.
Everything else is a loss

>Will it grant any significant performance?
Unless your stock intake is verry restrictive or draws air form the catalythic converter, it will do almost nothing.
In some cases the stock intake system is designed to act as a resonator to archive a slight supercharging effect at a certain rpm, in that case you could even loose power.
I measured the temperature difference between intake air and outside air in my shitbox that draws its air over the cylinder head and has the catalythic converter in front of the engine:
The intake air was about 5 kelvin warmer when driving, wich does not affect air density in a significant amount.

If you want to gain a little bit of power with a air intake, a ram air intake might actualy be beneficial when you actualy drive fast.
But the effect is only verry low and it only works at high speeds...

What will give you more power and a faster throttle response in any case are ITBs with velocity stacks. (pic related)

FCA product lololol

well the box does say 10 horsepower

up to*
thats how they get you.

Anybody who thinks a pod filter will make their car faster is retarded, however they do increase the intake noise which is nice. Go for it but not for sound not performance

CAI do nothing unless you're already pushing massive power through forced induction

>draws air from the catalytic converter
What the fuck

I was exagerating a little, but hypermilers actualy do that sometimes...

HUUURRRRR WHAT IS A AIRFLOW METER AND A ECU HURURURUR