/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

refreshing sunday morning edition
thread subtopic: Does /agdg/ go to church?

> Next Demo Day 16
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-16

> Play Demo Day 15
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/JqsQerui
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

encyclopediadramatica.rs/YandereDev
steamcommunity.com/app/321830/discussions/0/1456202492167882713/
archive.is/MUhwP
youtube.com/watch?v=veOf_IY8pNc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for NaziSim

delete chicken

I want to make games so badly but I won't start until I have complete knowledge on unity. It hurts but I know I have to do it. How do I ease the pain?

Everyone, post a square image that could act as a poster for your game. I need placeholders for a project of mine.
Pls help.

I'm gonna do it, it will be like a shameful bastard son that i made with my retarded sister, i will pretend shame but in reality, I'd love the fruit of our sinful love.

>Stories from Nodevville

But I WANT to make games. I want my game to make full use of the engine and to have competent code. I want to begin so badly but I'm forcing myself not to.

This bait is kinda retarded but I'll give it a 5/10

Time for progress !
I fixed the melee so that it doesn't hurt allies (the way it works is wonky and needs to be fixed a little), and modified the knockback state to reflect the direction you're going. Not sure if I'll keep it once I'll have proper animations.

Melee is way more fun to dev/test than ranged.

What's the stance on Game Maker? I'm mainly going to learn it to make a comfy sidescrolling point and click, but are there other more suitable engines for this?

graphics!

>bait

Game Maker is the most retard friendly engine, but it's over priced for what it is.
Godot is another good choice for that sort of game. But it is just a bit harder to get into for a beginner. It is free though.

Essentially, yeah. I'll have some combat, but it won't be as in-depth as ArcheAge. Running trade packs was so comfy, so I'm essentially making a game about it.

Top engine for 2D 5 years ago, now there are just plain better alternatives.

This looks pretty nice, what's the game about?

Oh just jumping from platform to platform trying to reach the diamond at the end of the level. You can also do tricks between jumps for more score.

Gamedevs are not software engineers, friendo. Just start making games.

I swear to fuck that each update has just made the engine worse and worse, and now that competing engines finally have the documentation and example games to be illiterate-serf friendly it will continue to fall behind.

If I do that then you get something like yandere sim

is it always linear or ther will be some curves and loops?

Shouldn't you do melee after you got models and animations? Making your animations work with what you have right now will probably be a lot harder than just using animation events to spawn attack/damage spheres/colliders

>THIS level of binary thinking
stay the fuck away from gamedev or any creative hobby for that matter and stick to flipping fries in mac between boozefests

What was that Ace Combat-esque game that gets posted here sometimes?

some whodev trying to shill his game here

I think having even the tiniest bit of self-criticism and awareness is enough to not become a yanderedev.

It's always moving forward but I'm implementing things like moving platforms, falling platforms, swinging objects to avoid, y'know platformer tropes. Also I'm implementing a tricks system for performing trick jumps which ties into the score.

Do you mean Project Wingman? Haven't seen that guy in a long time

Project Wingman

Here you go.

Where can I learn pixelart?

Thanks. Cannot wait for AC7, need a daily dose.

I'm pretty out of the loop regarding yandev, why do we hate him?

no game
absolutely atrocious "code"
asset store garbage
not even working on the game anymore and just pretends to

>1280x1079

I made this pretty early on. The characters have changed a bit though

That seems reasonable.

I'm doing the basic gist of it right now. It shouldn't be too hard to adapt to animations I think.
All it lacks is the possibility to spawn multiple collision spheres but that's just a matter of adding a for each loop and an array as an input.

He posted this month I think, about ground infantry.

take a look

>Project Wingman
>game has no dating sim elements

Does no one know what a square is?

Do you not know what an image editor is?

I will nip you right in the bud there and tell you to stop avatarfagging before it gets too far.

Nope, THIS is why some people who care about e-celeb drama bullshit hate him. And that's ridiculous.

the first one is obviously a joke you dip

Although, I that was technically avatarfagging, that wasn't actually my intention, I just happen to have those two images at my disposal.

I didn't even know about this particular autism before but I already hated him, he's just a really bad dev.

Added that image with game name as "CUP NOODLE" and no dev name.

Added that image with game name as "Dead Cave" and no dev name.

Just say if you want to change something.

Also, everyone else post images and game names and dev names too. I'm making a list of sorts and I need placeholders.

Nah, you are wrong.

>trying to hold Veeky Forums of all things hostage for ass pats

He's a clown who can't code, can't interact socially and can't get a date.

encyclopediadramatica.rs/YandereDev

You must be fun at parties.

What a pussy.

What will be the next indie hit?

>it's a 'people complaining about thing are more of an issue than the actual thing' episode

Jokes on you, I hate parties.

>asset store garbage
Listen, cunt, you and everyone else knows if he actually did his work and programmed the game nobody would care about the assets just like they don't now.

Stop crying about the Unity Asset Store. You wuz not gods.

>Anime Expo
What a fag

The schoolgirl assets are the only reason why he got so far to begin with, people actually thought there was a game there.

Something about gamedev attracts ultra mega autists who invent standards for themselves and everyone else that they have no hope of achieving.
>I need to know the nature of electricity itself otherwise nobody will think I'm a genius -_- that's why I have no game because I'm doing things the right way unlike everyone else ;_;

>The schoolgirl assets are the only reason why he got so far to begin with
So is the "asset store garbage" responsible for the game being good enough to get attention or responsible for the game being shit? It's one or the other kiddo.

Yanderedev has gone full retard with his game. The talking points like "DA UNITY ASSETS" are totally irrelevant now and only come from the original bag of salty retards who freaked out when he was still liked and gaining momentum on /v/.

>this
Also - why are we talking about dumb e-celebs, again ?

It's the same reason Notch left /v/ in favor of reddit, handling critique is hard and reddit is more hugbox-y, I assume.

What if he hadn't bought it on the asset store but it was just another donated work by a "volunteer"? It wouldn't make any difference really nobody would care.

The asset store garbage is responsible for letting scammers be scammers, you can stop being a nu-agdg fag defending art assets now.

If I post something, then it'll force me to make progress or else be scorned by the general

>nu-anything Veeky Forums related
Please, just let this meme die. Also, there's litteraly nothing wrong with using assets, as long as they are placeholders during development. What's sad is using them without having any plans to make your own afterwards.

>having volunteers without having any attention to begin with

>defending
5k a month from a permanent fanbase that gives not even the smallest fuck where his assets come from.

You mad.

Yeah I don't think they care about playing the finished game either.

He could have done what he does now, pay someone a pittance and then refer to them as a volunteer. He just happened to go the asset store instead. And now he also relies on 3d modelers to get him original stuff and animations.

So the question is does it matter where any of his assets come from? Or are you just sticking to an agdg tagline abotu MUH UNITY ASSET STOREEEE

Oh well. Vine runs every "official" agdg function like demodays and chats and he abandoned his early access game years ago.

Go rally about that.

hahahahahahaha

He was god and shit - nevah forgetti

If he actually got some artists on board then it would be fine, I don't see the problem.
The asset store garbage is just one the many problems anyway, the game might be finished when someone from tinybuilds finally steps in and starts running the show while yanderedev keeps being the eternal ideaguy.

turtle or hare, who would make the most money?

>spongebob tries being an abortionist

I think I missed that episode.

>Have band, be in school, have job
>Pick up learning Godot
>Haven't showered in days
>Work is asking me why I'm tired all the time
>Missed band practice 3 times in a row
>Gaining weight like crazy
>Wife and child begging me to get off the computer

THESE FUNCTIONS ARENT GONNA WRITE THEMSELVES

In gamedev? Turtle in most cases.

Looks like a start

The best games are the ones that encourage the player to write down and screenshot clues and such.
Prove me wrong.

Vine comes from Steamchat and then went to Discord, he isn't affiliated with AGDG no matter how many times he makes an "official AGDG" event

Tweaked bomb-stomps a bit, so they're less "realistic" but more reliable. It only amplifies your horizontal speed rather than launching you based on your angle to the bomb, so its much easier to reliably pull off horizontal leaps rather than vertical jumps.

Also putting the pedal to the metal to try and get something put together by Demo Day

Oh yeah ? Well YOU should prove to me that the best games are indeed the ones that encourage the player to write down and screenshot clues and such.
Actori incombit probatio, motherfucker.

looks fun as hell

steamcommunity.com/app/321830/discussions/0/1456202492167882713/

Should be finishing his game instead of making events.

sick

pls do this with game name and dev name

well this is depressing

>all those reasonable and understanding replies

archive.is/MUhwP

>That shield surfing feature
Do you have a twitter?

I'll never understand why people care so much about this guy

he has the triple parentheses genes

youtube.com/watch?v=veOf_IY8pNc

what is the shit that wraps around mario when he spin jumps? particles? cylinder with a shader? Help me here bros

People of low intelligence/self esteem like to hate and judge people to the point that they become incredibly invested in their lives. It's the same appeal that gossip magazines have to teenage girls, 'real housewives..' series etc, just for dweebs.

>agdg will literally disown a dev if it becomes convenient
Harsh.

Amateur game dev gossip general.

Thanks user

I do not, but I do post pretty much all my progress on my tumblr

jasozz.tumblr.com

I don't really have any official promo art for my game, but since you asked nicely, I threw something together