/indie/ - Indie and Misc. Games General

Last Thread: Time for death edition

>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Rimworld, Age of Decadence, VA-11 HALL-A, Subnautica, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Darkwood, Braid, Monolith, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, West Of Loathing, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago and /jrpg/ is welcome.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

implyingrigged.info/wiki/FAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M
youtube.com/watch?v=aZuI3ZkCHfs
youtu.be/bgt9HPCWNjg
youtu.be/BcFIR6Bft9g
a.pomf.cat/dvxfru.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=t-9xbgTHpLA
youtube.com/watch?v=NqK48MhTGtU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We should probably stop dying, people will make fun of us.

ok

Which do I choose?

what makes underrail so good for you guys? i dropped it real fast and i want you to convince me to pick it up again

Underrail is an acquired taste. It's shit until you become autistic enough with the game to do several playthroughs.

It's everything classic fallout did but better and with a connected world. Also psi and crafting are OP

How the hell is Underrail better than Fallout 2? And i'm not wearing any nostalgia goggles right now.

For one, there's more combat options than default attack and reload.

Underrail is very much a combat game though. It's more linear too; you can't run straight to the Institute with the statue and rush DC. Fo2 did the whole RPG thing much better, but Underrail is mechanically the better game.

What should he have done differently?

Not flipped out on Marty, but one can hardly blame him for doing so.
Really he's a man slaved to his own fate and neuroses. Which is the saddest part of all.

Well, damn.
I feel unnecessary now.

Do "old" games leaving early access in 2017 have their place on that pic?

The oldest. Always the oldest.

Not him but why they wouldn't have. Technically speaking, they're still new releases. And Early Access fags are usually beyond repair anyway.

The gameplay is incredibly good and the game contents were designed competently enough that you can be creative with it. Lots and lots of opportunity for emergent gameplay and improvisation, and it feels fucking fantastic when you come up with an elaborate strategy and it works.

Isn't Grimoire out?
Cook Serve Delicious 2 got pushed back to September 13th.
Figment is set for September now.
Dusk has a release date of October 31st now.

What, no Slime Rancher?

Lets this botched work be a grim reminder of why you should do things before incompetent people do.

>much better combat
>much better itemization
>better XP system
>no reduntant skills/weapons
>arguably a more interesting setting, worldbuilding and lore
>significantly less pop culture references
>no Temple of Trials
Fallout 2 offers far more and better C&C, but Underrail has a good amount of that too.

Stay alive or i'm coming for all 10 of you tonight.

Nice, thanks.

Come on.

>gathering gives 1/3 the experience of pve/pvp
>gathering gets exponentially harder due to the respawn timers, node density, increased refining requirements and diminished gathering yield

No wonder this game is ded. Gathering is hell

ITEM ICONS

This is getting weird.

Death is not preferable.

>Getting
Nigga, it's weird from the start.
>Trees that aren't rooted in one place
>Trees growing faster than you can cut them down
>A giant demon pig mamma revered as a beautiful beast
>Talking corpses
>Corpses that don't exist
Etc.

Chapter 2 is really cranking up the volume
>Giant eyes in the floor
>Huge tree crying and talking
>Big ass man-spiders throwing their ripped off arms at you
>RIPPED OFF ARMS GROWING INTO NEW MAN-SPIDERS

I made a fucking mistake by going into Chapter 2 so fast, i'm going to be ripped to shreds.

Try to survive while i'm sleeping /indie/

Is Rimworld fun?

Never played it but I've seen footage and it looks interesting

I think so. Does colony management pretty well and the difficulty has pretty great customization.
Modding scene is also going pretty strong.

fun for awhile yea but it gets samey

t. 40 hours

It scratches an itch that has gone unsatisfied for almost 20 years.

cute boy

you were supposed to take the bait /indie/

Niko is a boy though

>that Freedom Planet soundtrack

Man we're really dead lately

Hope an upswing happens soon

/albg/ lives

what

dead game

Niko is a cat

I'm sorry /indie/ but Undertale is my favourite indie game.

Then why aren't you at /utg/

you have both A, a general for that (no idea why it even still exists) and B, shit taste

Mine too

>Someone launched a patreon just to make some vectored isaac sprites

It's the

That can't be legal, can it?

FINAL COUNTDOWN

That's fine, it's a great game.
Fucking why

At least they're making something, plenty of patreons that just expect you to pay money for nothing

Yakatopa
Hagatcha
Yoyahchi

How's the enemy variety in Darkwood?

Hey /indie/, would you guys be interested in participating in the Veeky Forums League?
Basically, it’s a football tournament run is PES between teams representing different Veeky Forums generals. The teams are filled ideas representing the general and player models are changed to match.
More info here: implyingrigged.info/wiki/FAQ
The next Veeky ForumsL proper will only occur late November – December, but in a month, there will be official friendlies, which will be a good way to start the team.
We need 23 players to represent the general (just having character names is frowned upon, so memes, popular ideas etc.), as well as music (anthem, goal horn and some other stuff), a team logo and kits and hopefully someone with enough autism to help make player models (we can get people in the cup to help out if we don’t get anyone).

I’ve made a prototype roster to get started. My idea is to have 1 rep for each game that is commonly discussed here, plus some meta reps. Golds and Silvers are players with better stats than usual who are the team’s stars. The most important aspects of the general tend to be these players.
The Soup Will Never Die (gold, LISA)
Based Styg (gold, Underrail)
Niko a Cute (silver, Oneshot)
The Batter (silver, OFF, need a better rep)
Space Funeral rep
>Edmund (Binding of Issac)
23 Years in the Making (Grimwah)
Everything is a Roguelite
Age of Decadence rep
Stardew Valley rep
Apathetic Frog (Card City Nights)
Necrodancer rep
Thronebutt (Nuclear Throne)
Thalassophobia (Subnautica)
>Pacifists (Rimworld, could use a better rep)
Rec Me Something
Is ______ Indie?
6 free player slots

As for music, I feel youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M works best as anthem and youtube.com/watch?v=aZuI3ZkCHfs would be a good goal horn for the LISA rep, but I’m open for changes and we still need a main horn and victory anthem.

Feel free to suggest changes.

Steakmund would be a better Isaac one.
>Mechanarium if you want to go meme route for OFF
As for the free slots, I'd say something for Rain World and Battle Brothers since those were fairly mentioned when they were fresh, and probably something from the games that have been shilled.
Spider if you wanna go DUDE META.
Something from Classic Game with an @ for a head.

Would also suggest something from Dashbored because it's the closest I could think of that's our own little indie darling, but I have no idea how you'd make a player out of it.
Someone bug Karbonic about it.

Someone from NitW and Hollow Knight should be in the roster. Those games got pretty popular and are easy to recognize.

Hollow Knight I'd say yeah, pretty sure NITW got more shitposting about it than any actual discussion.
I also think it's hot fucking garbage but that's irrelevant to its level of deservance on the team

catsnake

2nding the Hollow Knight player
[email protected] in honor of that one autist
Maybe something referencing the thread dying?

Could we have
youtu.be/bgt9HPCWNjg
as a victory anthem? It's a mashup involving music from quite a few well known /indie/ games

Either that or Summer Love because it sort of represents cooling down and going back to a safe area after a win
youtu.be/BcFIR6Bft9g

I could smell your stench from here, meat.

>Mechanarium if you want to go meme route for OFF
It's only natural a great game like Machinarium would inspire a great game like OFF

Yeah most of the NITW discussion here was more political shitposting with some genuine feelings about it thrown in here and there, /trash/ I think had or has a general about it or something too

Spooky.

a.pomf.cat/dvxfru.webm

let's go

Every time.

>Rain World
Oh yeah Slugcat might be a nice addition
>Spider if you wanna go DUDE META.
Do not do this

Spider is a wholesome meme and part of our general culture.

Spider is man who will not stop avatarfagging whenever he makes the OPs and will not be tolerated in a meta sense

~20, some only attacking your hideout at night.

Fuck you i like the musician more than you.

Grabbing this Darkwood thing

/indie/ has caused me to spend a lot more money than I would have otherwise...

Speaking of which I meant to upload Grimoire for you guys since I dropped the money... but it's buggy and sucks so I didn't do that.

Everyday I suffer because I loved CLASSIC GAME too much. I will never forget about you, @

Something about how people sort of dance around the existence of Undertale and pretend they don't like it.

This classic as goal horn:
youtube.com/watch?v=t-9xbgTHpLA

This somewhere. Not sure where:
youtube.com/watch?v=NqK48MhTGtU

Apologize

>playing horror games before shocktober

Why? I haven't followed this frauds game since it came out and was abandoned by everyone.

I watched someone's video of it and the game looks just as bad as it did and plays the same, with nothing new.

>editing thousands of sprites by hand
Let me guess, you're one of those Fallout modders from NMA. But what did you use, xnbnode?

Final boss was soooooooo hard.I died exactly 60 fucking times.Still very good game desu

say that to my face not over the internet and see what happens faggot

>Let me guess, you're one of those Fallout modders from NMA.
Nah. I don't go to NMA at all and never really did any serious modding beyond simple tweaks for personal use.

It's not like I'm sitting all day doing that, I'm just spending about 15-20 minutes daily to colorize 1-2 files out of 57. It will probably take 2 months to get done at this rate but there's no rush, doubt the expansion will come out this year anyways.

>But what did you use, xnbnode?
Some random XNB to PNG converter I found who knows where a long time ago and PNG to XNB converter I found on Terraria forums. Seems to work just fine, I can't see any quality loss in-game or anything like that.

>Chill in my hideout
>Suddenly some lovecraftian shit with the body of a man and a centipede as a face BURST FROM THE FLOOR

That's it, i'm building bear traps.

Dude are the pixels you're changing the same (range of) colors each time?

You could totally automate that.

lol

So far the only thing i saw is a dream where you are in the devs studio, with their pictures, sketches and such.

whatgame?

>Dude are the pixels you're changing the same (range of) colors each time?
No, not always. Sometimes I have to get a bit creative since the original red color is more bleak and blends in better than bright green.

>You could totally automate that.
I was thinking about that but I'd rather make sure everything is done properly. Some sprites overlap I think, like all the idle sprites, so I might be able to just copy/paste those.

Darkwood.

Stop. Think about what you are doing. Are you still sure this is a good idea?

Is there a way to move items to inventory without fukken dragging them?

Shift+click

Oh cool, cheers. I was about to hulk and rage in a big babby fit of frustration.

>no context menu to actually do it

maybe it means you're supposed to close the game? that would definitely end its suffering

You did that bad on him post-nerf? Not good mate.
He was much more brutal on release.