Why does Honda hate RWD?

Why does Honda hate RWD?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eyGBa1rfmlI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Honda makes economy cars, rwd isn't economical.

it's too good for shit honda cars

Because RWD is outdated from an engineering standpoint.

Not sure why they bother with those here. Just build a bigger MDX.

Their mainly Asian customer base doesn't know what wheel drive their shit is.

FWD is better in bad circumstances, shitty, wet snow, bad roads etc
t. Canuck rallycrosser

It’s due to the ever cucking of our society, goes hand and hand with the growing popularity of crossovers for muh safety

You're retarded, honda has been on the fwd's since conception

>tfw we will never see another s2k

You really like those memes, huh? Sometimes they're funny, but don't let them warp your perception of reality. There has been no point in time where a majority of people cared about what the driven wheels were or whether or not the car was manual. From the beginning, the MAJORITY (read: not fucking enthusiasts) just wanted comfort, safety, and ease of use, and that never changed. RWD was easier to implement in the past, but as soon as FWD became viable, the increased space inside the cabin was obviously going to be more popular with normal consumers over a big fucking bump going through the car. Crossovers are popular because minivans are seen as lame and big sedans/wagons are seen as grandpa cars now.

I know, feels horrible man

>Understeer and lopsided F:R weight balance is "Better"

Because Soichiro is kill.

Honda

Because whenever they make a rwd car they annihilate the competition

Explain why the most acclaimed and prestigious cars sold remain RWD! You don't see Rolls-Royce/Bentley, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Porsche and the like straying away from the venerable RWD drivetrain setup. Cadillac has mostly gone back to RWD in its lineup and even supercar maker Lamborghini has started backing away from AWD in its lineup since the cars perform better with the reduced weight from losing their AWD reverting to RWD only. Tesla's Model S is RWD in most trims as well. What does this tell you?

>Understeer
Wow, you must be REALLY bad at driving

RWD is for 'muh feels' in the fr layout by this point, as it uses softer rear suspension so it will lean back and enhance the feeling of acceleration.
Midengine cars are obviously going to be RWD...

They don't, The NSX has a mode that shuts off the front electric motors making it RWD and SH-AWD found in cars like the TLX can send 90% of its power to the rear wheels allowing you to drift. total RWD for burnouts is pointless and AWD is a net positive in 90% of cars. NSX for example was only improved by AWD.

Quite the opposite, leaf. I drive my RWD car in the snow and ice, no chains or anything. Its not difficult at all if you don't drive like a total retard. Plus even if I slide or swerve I can correct it by steering to straighten out the car, whereas in your FWD cucksled you skeeball in a straight line in whatever direction you lose grip

That guy driving has a very nice ponytail.

The "feels" is BECAUSE of the FR layout. FWD cars will always plow wide at high speeds simply since you're making the same pair of wheels perform double duty of cornering and steering and physics dictating that most objects in motion do not want to change direction ordinarily yet here you are in a FWD car daring to corner at anything over 30 mph

The only worthwhile AWD systems are the rear-biased types.

This...x2

it's FF which suffers from unrecoverable understeer when pushed too hard, not to mention piss poor traction and excessive front tire wear

FF is an econo shitbox platform, period

because fwd saves more gas and is cheaper to make

AWD is undoubtedly superior in every way except weight, FWD is trash though

>Plus even if I slide or swerve I can correct it by steering to straighten out the car, whereas in your FWD cucksled you skeeball in a straight line in whatever direction you lose grip
This is what busriders actually believe

>unrecoverable understeer when pushed too hard
Now you are fucking retarded

>piss poor traction and excessive tire wear
this is literally a non fucking issue Idk where you retards get your information but its worse than fuddlore at the gunstore.

Typical asian bullshit, be cheap every chance you get

>"We serrah ressah cah to the gaijin an chahguh moah money since issa made in Japan"

you realize that almost every big automaker uses FF in their economy cars right?

That's a woman.
youtube.com/watch?v=eyGBa1rfmlI
SH-AWD isn't exactly like Audi's heldex and some would argue even better with being able to send more power to just one wheel to rotate the car. i guess we'll have to see how good it'll be in the upcoming Type S performance sedans.

Every fucking rental car/friends' FF car I've driven acts the fucking same. I can't even take off from a redlight/4-way stop without chirping the tires and fighting the wheel to continue going straight thanks to torque steer. I have to take corners nice and slow like a bitch and it just sucks. I didn't need anecdotes to convince me front wheel drive sucks, cars that have front wheel drive were all the evidence I need to show me how godawful a layout it is.

How does it compare to Mercedes' 4Matic system, IIRC it maxes out at 50:50 F:R power and ordinary maintains 35:65 F:R torque split for RWD-ish handling

>Every fucking rental car/friends' FF car I've driven acts the fucking same.
ok maybe because they're all economy cars, their ECU's are programmed around saving gas, their suspensions are designed around comfort and their tires are all all-season radials for the best gas savings.

>torque steer
who fucking cares its an economy car, you can buy cars with symmetrical drive trains so this doesn't happen like on the subaru's or civic type R

>I have to take corners slow
maybe because its not performance oriented and all your complaining has nothing to do with the drive train but the fact that the car isn't made to be hooned you stupid fuck

> I don't need anecdotes to remove my blind confirmation bias
you're fucking retarded

That doesn't make them exciting to drive either. I would unironically pic an old FR sedan or even a 2WD pickup truck if it came down to those or some brand new 2018 FF econobox

>That doesn't make them exciting to drive either
Who cares its an economy car.

>omg why is this econobox not performance oriented

notice how few RWD economy cars there are.

>Rolls-Royce/Bentley, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Porsche and the like straying away from the venerable RWD drivetrain setup.

These are all targeted at a very limited number of rich people who don't even know the difference between rwd and fwd. The "heritage" is just part of the dumb marketing.

Lmao if you think modern Mercedes owners give a fuck about the driven wheels of their appliances.

Honda can eat shit since they use FF in all their "good" cars except for the old S2000 and NSX, the AWD Acura crossovers don't count since they are AWD based off a transverse FF layout even when equipped with AWD

They think entry level enthusiasts can’t handle anything but front wheel drive.

>honda can eat shit because they make economy comfort cars
k

You cannot overlook the inferior physics of FWD. Even the turn radius is wider in two cars of the same wheelbase in the FWD car vs. the RWD one, the front wheels on a RWD car can be turned at a more extreme angle than a FWD car can thus improving handling via reduced turning radius

How big of a poorfag are you to get so hung up on economy cars? You want to really be economical with getting around pedal a fucking bike, then you can spend all your time getting around rather than all your Taco Bell worker money on gas.

>You cannot overlook the inferior physics of FWD.
What the fuck does this even MEAN?

FWD is used because is inexpensive to produce and suffers less drivetrain loss. all-seasons are used because they have stiffer rubber compounds with less hysteresis which reduces energy loss and improves gas mileage. They use a suspension set up that absorbs road deformities for maximum comfort. The ECU's are programmed to use as little fuel to perform as possible by limiting extreme changes in engine speeds and choosing the lowest most efficient engine speed for driving.

> Even the turn radius is wider in two cars of the same wheelbase in the FWD car vs. the RWD one
This highly depends on the car, the car maker, its wheel base and tons of other suspension features, not the drive train.
>It can turn more so it handles better
these have nothing to do with one another and is purely a matter of suspension configuration. The maximum turn radius has nothing to do with how well the suspension is able to make tires maintain contact with the road surface.

>Honda makes economy cars
>to do this, they use technologies and mechanisms that benefit efficiency first
>WOW, HOW FUCKING POOR DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO GET SO HUNG UP ON FWD CARS? I don't even like FWD cars they aren't good because I said so, I have conniptions about performance and I laud FWD that it is not oriented around my tastes!

>notice how few RWD economy cars there are

RWD for economy is absolutely retarded.

On the other hand, FWD for performance has some merits as shown by the Civic Type R and Fiesta ST.

Are you seriously this retarded? Why do you think the CLA is universally shat on by Benz owners and the motoring press alive? Let me tell you something else, faggot. I've owned 3 Benzes and you bet your ass its the RWD that they never plan to get rid of that I appreciate most of all.

thanks for answering your own rant

RWD cars are typically used in performance vehicles, FWD is typically used in economy scenarios. So you can stop bitching about why FWD isn't performance oriented because you seem to have had a popcorn kernel pop in your head

Yes they can since they also make alleged 'luxury' cars for Amerifats ALSO in FF only. When's the last time you seen them give us a RWD Acura that wasn't a go-go F+F sports coupe like the NSX?

>luxury
ok, synonymous with comfort and being plentiful of features, not necessarily performance oriented. There are tons of luxury sedans, SUV's hell even luxury trucks now. Seems like you're still getting stuck at some conundrum you've invented and instead of letting your gears turn to think about why or how things are you're just bitching about non issues because you have some hate boner for a drive train lay out.

Are you 15? FWD will always have a bigger turn radius than a RWD vehicle of identical wheelbase simply since the FF drivetrain cannot handle extreme front wheel angles since the front wheels are performing double duty as the driven wheels AND the steered wheels which is hampered by the half-shafts and the CV joints, the very stuff that doesn't even exist in a FR car.

Nope, if Nissan and Toyota can retain the good sense to make sure their own Infiniti and Lexus cars have RWD while keeping their pleb models FF then what in the fuck is Honda's problem?

Econobox=FWD
Luxury=Performance/RWD

Honda thinks they can sell us some FF bullshit wrapped in a tux by calling it an Acura and little else.

>yet another inferior roadster who tried to challenge the apex of sports car experience

This literally has nothing to do with the drive train. Turn radius is literally defined as "The turning radius or turning circle of a vehicle is the radius (or, depending on usage, diameter) of the smallest circular turn (i.e. U-turn) that the vehicle is capable of making." This has absolutely nothing to do with the drive train. Guess what fucking puny civic has a smaller turn radius than a mustang. This is because the civic has a much smaller frame with a much smaller wheel base. The mustang is huge in proportion and it draws a larger turning circle.

>identical wheel base
the drive train literally doesn't fucking matter in determining a turning circle. The turn radius has nothing to do with handling performance its merely a measurement of how small a circle a car makes when doing a U-turn.

>luxury is performance!
>that acura TLX is sold as a luxury car
>NO ITS NOT THE DRIVE TRAIN DETERMINES IT THAT DOESN'T COUNT REEEEEE

Literally no one gives a shit about the turn radius of a car and no where does it mean anything about how well a car handles. You're as stupid as the last fuck in a rotary engine thread who brings up specific output of an engine as if it means anything.

>this car with tons of LUXURY features like heated seats, leather, well made interior and tons of comfort options isn't actually a luxury car because I said so because its FF and that doesn't count because I said so.

Original R8 stole the NSX concept: make it look cool and handle well at a reasonable price. Don't worry about being the fastest. Honda should have repeated that recipe with the new NSX.

iit:mad fwdlets

They don't they just too lazy and complain about putting money and r&d to build a new rwd car besides they are the Gods of fwd they pretty much mastered it

They crash before they can figure out what ones are the drive wheels

It's the company known for the "3k civic" meme, cutting as many corners as possible in terms of price means making it FWD.

RWD *used* to be cheaper but now FWD has become more economic, the main reason being you can just toss in the bits that send power to the wheels right next to the engine itself. RWD forces you to stretch it to the back, AWD makes you pay the cost of FWD and RWD together obviously.

All those features are options or standard now in a FK civic, which is not a luxury car.

Have you been in a modern econobox? I dont think we should be considering just anything with a nice interior "luxury" anymore, especially in the US where a fucking Sonic comes with heated seats standard .

i'm waiting for crossovers to become lame, it should happen anyday now, I see minivans as less lame as at its not pretending to be something its not, most of these crossover buyers think they look like indiana jones in land rover defender but they are starting to become lame.

You clearly do not understand dynamic weight distribution, having weight biased to the front lets you turn in way harder that fr, and you can just give the brakes the smallest tap to correct any understeer.
>Brakes bias car to oversteer
>Gas corrects too much oversteer
This isnt hard, in a fwd car you can correct oversteer, in a rwd car you literally cant, you just hope the corner is predictable. There's a reason RWD is a dead class in rallycross and FWD is thriving

>Plow wide
Retard detected, the turn in on fwd cars can be much more aggressive because of the weight distribution, I agree that on a track RWD is better but on crumbling roads FWD solves any problem you encounter with much smaller chance of fuck up

You've literally never owned an FF car have you

>tfw you like grandpas guicars

>Cla
>Universally shat on by benz owners
You know that's not true, muhammed doesnt give a fuck as long as it's white and with a model year of being new

Wow it's like he wasn't going to write out a comprehensive list in a shitty thread

I'm not him but this is stupid. You should kys.

Because Benz owners always shit on the lower end benzs as cheap cars for ladder climbers and lebbos....

They did this for years scoffing at the C class. Now they do it to the cla

Yeah I agree. The new Chevy Malibu for example is really nice inside with almost all the major features of a cadi.

It drives like a PoS though. The acuras are basically Comarrons today, can't believe they sell cars.

Because SH-AWD is simply the best drivetrain ever devised for regular production passenger cars u dear $75K

If you have driven a SH-AWD car, you would know that this is a fact. Those things are damn near spooky in what they can do. The 05-13 RL had the best of the available SH-AWD systems as well.
t. Lexus LS430 owner that really wanted a 11-13 RL but couldn’t get one because the back seat was too small for babby seats and designed for little Japanese manlet.

I'd take a high revving s2k over that fagmobile with anemic engine

>Unrecoverable understeer
what? Are you literally a retarded bus rider? If anything fwd has unrecoverable lift off oversteer, the exact opposite of what you're describing

>superior in every way except weight
You're also forgetting
>upfront cost
>increased fuel consumption from powering more wheels and pulling extra weight
>heavier car
>more shit to go wrong

You can get Maybach in FWD