How do I start reviving an old bike?

I'm about to start reviving a 1980 Suzuki GX650 that has been parked and covered in my papaw's yard for 20 years. Please help.

>new battery
>bleed brakes
>change oil, coolant
>clean carb, maybe a rejet
>chain and sprockets
>check all lights
>drain fuel tank
>tires

Ignore change coolant. Didn’t notice it was air cooled till I already posted.

That's not my bike in the picture, it is the same make and model, mine is in rougher shape

My goal is to get it running quick and cheap. How do I bleed the brakes? If i skip lights for now will it affect the battery?

It rolls. I'm pretty sure that nothing was wrong with it when it was parked.

Check the fork seals too

Thanks, i will remember that. I don't care much about the fork seals right now, I want to start the engine

Step by step

What are the fist few?

If I put oil, gas, power, plugs into it. Clean carb. Clear lines, will the engine turn over?

You could do all that in a day easy.

There’s tons of videos online, you hook up a hose to the calipers, loosen the bolt and squeeze the brakes till fluid comes out. Tighten the bolt before you let off the brakes to avoid letting air in. Skipping lights is ok, it’s just a safety thing.

It should.

Your fruit owns a motorbike?

He's not a fruit

Also, check inside the tank. If it's been sitting with fuel it's possible there's rust in it.

im 686 and i can help with any advice needed here :^)

Besides replacing ALL consumables, if it’s been sitting for 20 years there may be rust inside the engine. I’d high recommend taking it all apart before trying to start it; you may likely have to replace internal engine and transmission parts if there’s rust.

Flush/Drain/Replace all fluids. From there it's symptomatic troubleshooting.

Don't try to start it with gas from the tank. If it is rusty inside (likely), it will foul up your freshly cleaned carbs. Use a small external gas container, like a big syringe, feeding a gas tube.
Check for spark before trying to start it. Better replace the old rusty spark plugs too.

not OP but have a rusted tank. Any recommendations on clearing the rust?

Replace tank, or use a product called evaporust. Its expensive but you can use it multiple times. You'll have to remove the tank, let that product sit overnight, then clean with some kind of solvent.

Check the price of tanks; if its cheap thats better than spending dozens of dollars on cleaning one that may have actual problems and need replacing anyway.