youtu.be/cAQwYtje4gg
oidyre.itch.io/bun-escape-reset
ogierdev.tumblr.com
twitter.com/Ogier_Dev
tumblr.com/blog/youngcultistgame
twitter.com/AnonBabble

had i known the horrors that were about to unfold, i would have made an op
but it is too late

So... this is the power of Unreal Engine...

fuck anime

We would if we could.

What, you got a problem with oreimo or something?

falling platforms!

Daily reminder that all of you are great, and I love seeing your games.

>not an actual nep mmo

I prefer digestives

no, it's my favorite brand of cookies!

we vr drivebys now

needs improvements but it's actually kind of fun controlling the wheel with one hand and a gun with another

Anyone here has any experience with Kinect?
I want to make a game using the kinect gesture recognition, and I am willing to buy one to try it out, but I have no idea if I should buy the normal one, or the v2.

you could get some meme streamers with that shit I'm sure

I'll just start this now. URLs in the web field are now automatically linkified. Also added the scores page

--------- AGDG Weekly Recap ---------
Fill out the form to be a part of the weekly progress recap.
Submissions will be accepted for at least the next 36 hours.

--------- Format
----[ Recap ]----
Game:
Dev:
Tools:
Web:
Progress:
+ ...

--------- Links
Site: recap.agdg.io
Last recap: recap.agdg.io/view?id=17082

wiyg

I'm really bad with shaders so it took longer than I'd like to admit to find/make changes to a custom one, but now sandstorms fade at the bottom instead of an ugly flat cutoff line when you go underground. The scrolling's direction and speed is also an indicator of which way/how hard you get pushed although it looks a little silly like snow in low winds. Also slightly changed underground backgrounds to include some variety like curved edges at the top instead of a rectangle for all backgrounds.

Good job, and good choice for early obstacles

Looks fun, if you polish it you can definitely get some attention going.

how long until whodevs can submit their whoprogress to the whocap offsite and we're finally rid of it?

That character seems too cute for me to not get a better look at him

Lemme see some progress and if you have, show me some really early progress from your game also

What does the doug button do?

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Whimp the Bold
Dev: AttaBoy
Tools: GM:S, Aseprite
Web: twitter.com/AttaBoyGames , attaboydev.tumblr.com
Progress:
+ Made a new possession shader and feel like a shader god
+ Improved Whimp's run cycle
- Still procrastinating doing background and environmental work

looks real smooth and responsive.
Didn't realize he was riding a tiny horse until he fell. So cute.

Summon Doug. The Nickelodeon one, not the Disney one.

It makes people ask what the Doug button does

nice

>tfw been working on game for most of the year
>tfw suddenly have another idea I'm more interested in

The frame with the game info should also encompass the image, instead of having a space. So they're more clearly together.

Also maybe have the exact dates for the week being shown? What happens if a week is half in one month and half in another? Will it count as the previous months week, or the new months week?

A link at the top to return to the main page of the website would be nice as well.

Overall nice work.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Spaceship Crew Self-Defense Simulator
Dev: chaikaDev
Tools: GMS 2
Web:
Progress:
+ fixed some bugs
+ NPCs will search for you after finding a corpse

what is the process to getting a test build of a UE4 game on an iphone?

The camera doesn't need to move up with you every time you jump
Most 3D platformers don't adjust the height of the camera until you land, because visually you get to see the character jump in the air clearly rather than the ground moving down - but the camera will move down with you if you fall below the height you started your off-ground state at

>same exact post for the third week in a row
>no progress inbetween whatsoever
nodevs spamming to keep their shitty combo up
delete the whocap

Write down the ideas and finish your current project. It's important for your self esteem.

>fixing bugs isn't progress

but my current project will easily take another year at least

I know the feel, and it sucks.
But you just have to accept that working on one game at a time is the best thing to do. Finish your current game and make it as best as you can. Think of it this way, you'll improve as a gamedev while making the current game, and then when you make the new game that you're more interested in, you'll likely make it even better than your last.

As the other user said, write down the ideas so you don't forget later.

I love this kind of platformer. Good job, user.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Asteroids Rogue
Dev: CowThing
Tools: Aseprite, Blender, Godot
Web:
Progress:
+ Improved AI even more
+ Improved movement even more
+ Played around with having areas that attract, repel, and force objects in various directions. Could be used for hazards or enemy mechanics
- Was too lazy to record a webm of any of this
- Was too lazy to make anything substantial
+ I'll do better next week

you spilled chickpeas over your screenshot

>>same exact post for the third week in a row

2 weeks ago I didn't post on the recap.

Porting the game from GMS 1.4 to GMS 2 broke a few features which I fixed this week. A bug related to the shadows was really finicky in particular.

Last week I was merely beginning to work on the corpses. Now the AI properly react to them and will start to search for the player.

I'm not proud of the amount of total work I've done this week but I did make some progress.

----[ Recap ]----
Game:Kick-in'
Dev:Kickindev
Tools:Gamemaker Studio, My Tears
Web: kickindev.tumblr.com
Progress:
+ More progress and tweaks on enemy stunbreaking code. It now behaves properly for all player attacks and enemy reactions.
+ Modified how super attacks interact with enemy stun to smooth out the amount of damage the player can deal in a single counterattack
+ Modified enemy dodge behavior so he's now vulnerable at the tail end of it.
+ Rewrote enemy guard-swapping behavior so he now takes longer to swap where he's guarding after being attacked.
+The enemy AI is now almost to the point where I feel confident using it as a base to make other enemies with

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Ghost Knight Victis
Dev: Anomalous Underdog
Tools: Unity, Blender, Substance Painter, Photoshop CC
Web: hypertensiongamedev.tumblr.com
Progress:
+ Fixed bad animation transition between Warhammer's 2nd attack back to 1st attack (when repeating the combo)
+ Fixed bug with player's cape getting stuck inside his own colliders if playing an attack animation that makes the cloth simulation move too fast
+ Integrated the Warhammer's charged attack combo animations in-game
+ Started on the Warhammer visual effects for its charged attack

will you ever be bringing the old recap posts into the website? Even if it's just from January 2017 up to the missing week 1 and 2 of July on the site. would love to see them.

>posting for only recap
>not sharing progress otherwise
makes you think

makes me wish I'd kept developing my agdg scraper into a whodev classifier is what I think

>the people who post progress and feedback but don't post recaps

Sure, why not.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Negativa Poetica
Dev: Template88 is the artist.
Tools: Godot, milkytracker/Audacity, that online Piskelapp site?
Web:
Progress:
Bunch of shit that doesn't really account for much when the scope of the project could fit in a thimble.

I'm guilty. I don't mean to though. Just if I don't have any visible progress I don't end up posting it.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: karina's heart (temp name)
Dev: takkongguy
Tools: rpgm mv
Web: takkongguy-blog.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+ Some dialogue,event and sprite

- Doing bandit's leader battle sprite even she is not recruitable in the demo.

Those are good suggestions. Thanks. A homepage link on each recap is already planned, along with download links for all of the images and dev data.
Yeah I've been thinking about that. I changed the recap data format recently, so I'll just need to write a script to convert all the old data. In the meantime I think I could just provide links to the images in the old dropbox archive.

im guilty of this, but only because i forget what days recap is, and i only post progress when i have it :)

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Business Quest (placeholder)
Dev: StarReaper Studios
Tools: Unreal Engine 4
Web: twitter.com/StarReaperStu
Progress:
+Traffic System and AI
+Pedestrian System and AI
+Police AI
+VR support, including climbing, touch control driving, drive-by shooting
+Non-VR traditional support as well
+Day/Night system that affects the cities lights
-Still need some kind of gameplay loop beyond sandbox messing around. Probably will have a procedural mission system and you can take the missions at phone booth, at least to start, or something like that.

do you take suggestions? actually fuck that, I'll just say it: I'd really like an option to make my character smother their face on any NPC's boobs

It's Monday Recap
I wonder what day it happens on.

literally who

Jesus, I didn't realize I'd been away that long. I've been posting Whimp for probably over a year, though there have definitely been some breaks in my posting

yeah but i never know what day is monday (or how far away it is)

I'm pretty sure he's memeing.

oh its today ill do one now :)

shit

is that a triangle on the shoulder/armpit?

But like how though.
I'm a full on NEET who has no actual need to know the specific day, but I still know what day it is because it's actually impossible to avoid.

Thoughts on the tooltips appearing directly over the object? Or maybe I should put them on the middle-top instead of the currently-held item?

yep

>Idea guy a passion project for a month, get my dev document and project plan together.
>Suddenly have a brilliant flash of inspiration for an older idea that I never really considered viable for 1MA.
>Start writing a dev document for that.

Once you're able to recognize this as a form of procrastination and stress relief, it becomes a lot easier to manage.
My way of dealing with it is to have a document that I jot down "brilliant" ideas to get them out of my system.

Is this a Monaco clone

I think it looks decent as-is, but I think you might wanna have an outline on the text for easier readability.

I don't always comment on your progress, but I look at almost every single progress post.

ill redo now and see if i can fix :)

Well sometimes there's just not much to say either way.

No, I wasn't aware of that game until now.

>tfw you are starting to get gud enough to work things out without tutorials
I just made my own script to work out tile-based movement ranges for the Advance Wars clone I'm making. It's probably shitty and unoptomized (I should probably change it from a "while" loop to a for(movementRange), for example), but it works and I didn't even glance at a tutorial. Not only do I know the cost to get to each tile in the movement range, but I know the cheapest path to get there.
>Add the unit's starting tile to a List
>For each unchecked tile in the List, check the movement cost to get to each tile around it.
>If the tile can't be moved to or has a cumulative cost which would exceed the maximum movement range, ignore it
>If the tile is not already in the List, add it
>If it is already in the List but with a higher movement cost, replace it
>Loop this until there are no unchecked tiles remaining (every possible movement path has been exhausted)
>Each node keeps track of the node it was generated from, so you can move to any viable spot at the lowest cost by reverse-engineering from the end tile to the start tile

This popped into my head while watching the webm
youtube.com/watch?v=JU6dhP8Wuec

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Jolly Colony
Dev: Jofer
Tools: Unity
Web: twitter.com/JofersGames
Progress:
Context-sensitive menus, collision and pathing issues fixed and the selection window only draws the selected player now :)

Either over the object or in the middle of the screen, but not over the character is best.

Now that I have a main mechanic figured out I created helper ability system which would take priority when getting weapon objects So characters no longer have their own dedicated melee attack. This guy has the sausages only as a placeholder until I add the helpers in the ability system

Hey /agdg/ how does turn radius work in 3d games?

forgot to tone down the camera directional bias

same as it does in 2d, the ground is in 2d.

i see that you're making a bullet hell, how many bullets can you get on screen before it the game goes bellow 60fps?

I feel dumb for not knowing this. thanks for explaining this too me.

>Dev: Template88 is the artist.
are you saying you're primarily an artist? are you open to working on another project?

Sorry not interested. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for posting it so early, now I can be more than half awake writing these!

----[ Recap ]----
Game:Devil Engine
Dev:shmoopdev
Tools:GMS,photoshop,aesprite
Web: shmoopdev.tumblr.com
Progress:
+More level 3
+Most stage 3 placeholders replaced
+Added some additional effects for bullets
+Sound pass is mostly complete
-Retooling the stage 3 miniboss somewhat
-Slowish week

I've done some tests. No drops yet with 150-200 bullets on/offscreen, so that's working out well. Trying to keep the logic as cheap as humanly possible.

Nah, I'm just the programmer. Just taking credit for a project where it's the art that carries it 100% doesn't really ride with me.
might actually be the artist but the answer wouldn't be different either way.

Worked more on the goofy vine skulls ability to read the room and move toward his target.

>He's targeting player 1 by default (in expectation of single-player mode). Endgame for two-player is to have it decide its opening target at random then allow for target changes by proximity
>Though taking the first hole he sees would work out for him in this instance, its more likely that going down a hole moving away from its target would take him away from target, so he chooses to reverse direction
>First fall shows no danger, so he takes the fall
>Second fall shows him moving into spikes, so he jumps it

This enemy may end up being weeks of work when its all through, but I'm happy with how he's coming along.

What do you lads think- would you play this game?

youtu.be/cAQwYtje4gg

I'll give you an APK if you want.

Concept looks interesting but the presentation looks like something from a student project.

I'd play but wouldn't pay for it. I'm not a big spender though.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Vampire's Bit
Dev: VampireDev
Tools: Game Maker, Photoshop
Web: vampiredev.tumblr.com · twitter.com/jcsvampire
Progress:
+ Replaced font
+ Fixed some fire related bugs
+ Added a small dance animation when clearing the level
+ Cleaned and tweaked some code
+ Started working on new attack/death animations
- Todo list is still too long
- Bad week, couldn't dev too much

I didn't think anyone would appreciate someone who hasn't been posting here enough just pop in and drop a link, but I've decided to do it anyway for feedback.

oidyre.itch.io/bun-escape-reset

It has very little sound, but you can play Bun Escape Reset if you like. and tell me all the ways it's terrible

Only new people that don't know who you are and are rude for the sake of being rude will complain, so don't worry and ignore them.
Downloading right now, will play and leave you feedback.

use webms,my man. Installing right now and I will tell you what I think of it later.

Having trouble with the collision in this bit, bruv.

Nevermind, was too used to playing it carefully with the Initial D handling that it didn't occur to me that the physics were intentional.

Plays alright.

apologizing for being a whodev doesn't erase the fact that you're whodeving, bruv

----[ Recap ]----
Game: [Placeholder Title]
Dev: Ogier
Tools: GM:S, Aseprite
Web: ogierdev.tumblr.com twitter.com/Ogier_Dev
Progress:
+The boss now has a phase transition and forms its arms when appropriate
+Fixed minor issue with sliding

I always worry. Thanks though!

I'm glad it worked out. Had me scared for a minute there.

I keep thinking a gif will be good enough, as it's simple pixel stuff, but you're right and I should use webms.

This is my first time doing this, I am the most whodev

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Young Cultist
Dev: Lochbriar
Tools: Gamemaker Studio, Fruityloop Studio
Web: tumblr.com/blog/youngcultistgame (I'm not a frequent updater)
Progress:
+ Three enemies are fully or close to fully coded
+ Many aspects of the player character(s) are fully coded
+ Working on fourth enemy behavior right now
- He has a lot of behavior
- I'm a OMA with a job so I can have dry spells

don't listen to him, gif is better for pixelshit