Mazda is extending life of Gas engines

Every auto maker is jumping ship and running towards soul less electric cars

but mazda is doing some amazing stuff with their new Skyactiv X

youtube.com/watch?v=yNSxow3W7ek

Been following it for a while, engine is looking legit, toyota came running to them to make a deal to use it

BASEDMAZDA

Mazda has really lost any give a fucks I could about them. Go back to turbos already.

The 6 is already confirmed to get a turbo

Most manufacturers have one full electric car if that. They're also achieving what Mazda is using a simple turbo engine with more power.

>227 HP and 310 lb-ft of torque

Dang

>Literally missing the point

That's actually quite poor for a turbo in a car that size when a v6 Accord does 280hp/270tq like 10 years ago.

Mx-5 NE when?

So what is the mpg of that thing? 200mpg?

Probably less than a 650hp pushrod V8.

The HCCI engines are supposed to be ready for a 2019 model year, don't know if that's just Japan or not. The ND has only been around since 2014, Both the NA and NB were around for 8 years while the NC held on for 10. Since Mazda put a ton of work into the ND and they're still doing active development on the platform they'll probably have an HCCI option or the new engine will be standard assuming all goes well.

but can the accord from 10 years ago put out these numbers while essentially running on gas fumes and dreams?

190 HP on 2300 lb mx-5 is gonna be dope.

Miatas are gonna be very competitive with other sports cars

>16:1 compression
>forced induction
>34:1 air fuel ratio
>low octane fuel
Why does only mazda do something this crazy?

Also they will be verry fuel efficient:
>low air resistance
>low weight
>extremely efficient engine

>mazda's hcci
>open source freevalve one day
>S500's hybrid system
>RS5 TDI concept electric compressor for turbo lag
>volvo's charged air tank for turbo lag
>budack cycle
>Formula 1 plasma igniters
The ICE won't die for quite a while unless gubments virtue signal and ban them completely

>payed him to tell us how "great" it is
>literally built a diesel and just powered it with gasoline
W O W !!!!!!!

What's the problem with electric? Once you understand how it all works it's just genius.

Eventually gas prices are gonna sky rocket again.
Meanwhile solar and battery tech keeps improving.
Eventually you'll just be able to power your car with your solar panels on your roof.

not car roof, but house roof.

>be Infiniti
>introduce revolutionary variable compression gas engine
>decide everything must be electric by 2025

Electrics have the same problems as oil does, Finite Resources.

You still have to mine the rare earths are needed to make that shit run, and unlike oils, you can't renew lithium.

That whole system while neat, just seems like there's more to go wrong,

Not since DSM's were crankshafts designed to move.

so why didn't anyone else do it

Friendly reminder that no other auto maker could figure out what mazda. A few of them tried in past and gave up.

This is a big deal, so big that Toyota immediately ran to mazda to partner with them

Mazda knows the electric car meme is a bubble that will burst spectacularly. Electric cars solve nothing. Extending battery capacity is all well and good but it doesn't recude the energy spent to charge it.

Mazda’s bucking against the new idea of low displacement turbo engines. Lexus kinda does the same thing. I’m all for it.

>70mph
>40.5mpg
T-that has to be a mistake. Unless they were cruising downhill the whole time

You don't mine lithium and the ocean is filled with it if necessary. It is renewable but not yet cost effective to do so. I don't even like electric cars, but get your shit straight.

>you dont mine lithium
but you do

While it is possible to get lithium without mining, currently we mine for it to make those batteries because it's the cheapest way.

Let me fix that for You
Mazda is extending life of NA Gas engines.

You know you can buy a 1.4 TSI and already have that economy and more torque.

Skyactiv is a meme and always will be.

>NA
>is actually supercharged

youre must be stupid then. The only manufacturer who still has the balls maks a lightweight NA sports car and doesnt fill their line with turbo trash like Honda does now. Just go buy a civic si or a ford st if you want a turbo, we'll keep our na engines.

Fucking hipster.
>cylinder deactivation
>2.xx rear gears
>3200lbs
>idling down the highway

Do the maths. Small engines are a meme.

electric cars weight to much for me to consider them yet

Yeah but this is why the Miata is gay trash and the Fiat is cool. Stay slow.

Also the Miata is ugly as fuck. Like nearly every Mazda these days. The company went from based to shit in 10 years.

>>introduce revolutionary variable compression gas engine
>Up to 24 city / 31 highway

Yeah nope

the fiat has +10 hp and +30 lb torque, thats not enough to change the dynamic of the car so id still take the more responsive NA miata.

lmao if modern mazda is shitty to you then which manufacturer is doing better now?

Yeah and a simple tune on the Fiat has it making 200whp. You have to spend thousands on the Miata to get there.

Alfa is making the best looking cars atm

im not gonna deny how amazing the spyder looks, cool to have both the ND and it as options but the best looking one out of them all is a white ND RF

Not him but even Kia/Hyundai is kicking Mazda's ass.

There's not exactly a whole lot of players in the entry level sports car scene these days unfortunately. With BRZ/86 combined sales barely topping 10k in 2017 which is what the Miata did in the same year. Miata's next biggest competitor would be a base model Alpha 4C.

SUVs have definitely taken over for the time being but we'll see where the industry is in a few years.

lol this has to be bait

I thought the Kia Stinger shills left after a month.

The RF is easily the ugliest in my opinion, it's proportions are awful.

It's not. Their shitboxes and cuckovers are outselling the shit out of Mazda. They're getting the same power that Mazda does with a normal NA engine. Mazda has nothing that competes with their turbo engines.

I'd be shilling the Stinger too if Mazda made anything that could compete with it.

i would buy a normal soft top one for weight and money savings myself but the rf is not ugly haha sorry dude.

idgaf about sales, obviously they are selling enough to stay around. whats actually important is keeping the brand true to what it is and not selling out like every other manufacturer has done. id certainly take less sales and cars i want over more sales and only selling econoboxes

RF is painfully ugly, even when I saw one in person everyone in the car thought it looked bad.

sorry the rf is honestly not ugly youre just being a faggot online for some reason. saw it in person myself and everyone was very impressed by it.

No really, it's fucking ugly. Your bad taste doesn't change that. This is the ugliest Miata generation and the RF is the worst out of all of them.

i am telling you, you are just plain wrong. just because youre insisting on it here isnt going to make it true.
post up a more attractive 2017 car, fag

A lot since the RF is ugly. I'd hit post limit posting examples.

you wont post a single one, pussy

>you can literally idle in 7th gear and go 34 mph
>tfw 700 rpm at 60 mph
I believe it honestly

How am I a hipster? I honestly prefer NA engines with high compression (Like the 2nd gen Coyote.....Best engine ever made). Burns cleaner, so I can feel better for the environment while also getting better performance and efficiency.

cool

>mazda being absolute M A D C O M P A N Y we deserve
>surprising
i dont even give shitanymore

The Mazda 6 did 274 hp and 280 lbft 10 years ago.

Its 250hp, and equal or better mileage compared to the current 2.5 Skyactiv.

This retarded shill posts the same picture all the time.
The person who took the picture probably reset their trip computer while they were already cruising down the highway. It takes way more fuel to accelerate up to speed than it does to just cruise, since you're just maintaining the speed of something already carrying that momentum.

>With BRZ/86 combined sales barely topping 10k in 2017 which is what the Miata did in the same year.

Because no turbo/supercharger/more power and the new gt86 front looks like shit.

Yes the car is more fun but its still no fun when every faggot in his 300hp fwd hothatch kills your sports car.

The system only goes up to 14:1 compression, in that sense they're just recreating Mazda's Skyactiv. The variable compression only comes into play for making more power on demand, and running leaner under low throttle.
The specs aren't that impressive when you look at them, but the design does have a very neat aspect to it. The connection from the piston to the crank is more vertical than other engines leading to less friction with the cylinder walls. Theres less heat waste from this, less power lost, could extend life of the pistons and cylinder liners.

I can back that Up

RF looks fantastic, everyone was exicted at in the car show.

The ND looks way better in person than online pics

You actually think there's a chance new rwd sporty cars could ever come back when fuel economy and crash safety regulations only ever get stricter, and the gap between the rich and poor widens constantly because fiat currency and fractional reserve lending are allowed to continue because there will be war when it has to stop?

Get real. The United States is going to become brazil, then south Africa, then Zimbabwe. That's it. That's all we have to look forward to. Forget about cars, nobody is even going to be able to afford the minimum legal requirements for what a house has to be.

You just know that the next version will have a turbo option, like it should have had from the start. It's either that or just add an aftermarket turbo like I'm sure they intended you to.

Mazda is also researching how to make carbon fiber more affordable
So we might have a chance to see a 2200lb under new Miata

>mazda btfos every other manufacturer year after year
>shills come out in force
literally laughing my asshole off

If mining = pumping water out of the ground and letting it dry to get lithium brine, then yeah.

>it's a revolutionary design that allows compression ignition in petrol engines

>it actually uses spark ignition

>lithium
>water
hehehehehehehe

1. Lithium isn't a rare earth.
2. Lithium is in plentiful supply
3. Electric cars don't 'run on' Lithium you can recycle it from dead batteries, this isn't done because 2.

Power doesnt matter when basic thing like making anti corrosive metal is missing. First gen mazda6 had shit both 2.3 and 3.0 engines. Lots of them literally broke. And diesels were tragic too. Mazda lost their game from early to late 00s, they were in their prime time when unique looking 323s and land barges like 929 existed. While mazdas always did great designs, everything else was ford but worse, cause atleast ford is cheaper. It seems like theyre making their way up now, but i have a feeling theyre really late for their train. Its like mazda stuck for atleast 5 years behind eveyone else. Its about time they wake up before its too late. Kia, hyundai and volvo made their path very quickly. I dont know desu, i love mazdas and their philosophy but something seems aint right

what do they do with the lithium waste then? that can't be good for the enviroment

>what is a compound
Are you fucking stupid? Do you seriously think that lithium is found in elemental form in nature? If you're going to shit talk electric cars, get your facts straight so you don't get discredited by virtue of being a braindead, sloppy faggot who can't take two seconds to do a search. Don't be a retard when arguing with electricucks. There are larger, actual issues that you need to argue against. Lithium is a non-issue.

hehheheheheheheh lethiumm

Let's share.

The other problem being the demographic that sports cars under 40/50K appeal to doesn't have any money, let alone enough income to justify a new car.

I think there's some time between now and total global economic collapse, no idea if market demand will swing in that time frame. RWD sports cars are still reasonably popular in the states, it's just not "affordable" cars like the Miata/BRZ but expensive Camaros and Corvettes being bought by GenXers and boomers with plenty of cash and credit to throw around. Safety regs suck indeed, despite this the Miata still lives, and the whole point of Mazda's new engine tech is get the emissions way lower while having a serious bump in both fuel economy and performance. Mazda is not a gigantic company, they can't afford to dump serious money into big projects that don't go anywhere (Toyota SF-R). Between active prototypes on the road and a pretty serious commitment to hit the market by 2019 we'll see if Mazda can deliver on what they're promising. If they can without any serious downsides this will be like going from carburetors to fuel injections in terms of tech advancement.

that is an extremely long process, not to mention costly to remove magnesium which is usually present in high quantities

then you have hard rock lithium, most commonly spodumene which is mined with conventional open pit methods. most (over 50%) of the worlds hard rock lithium reserve is found in the unstable shit hole shit hole country known as the democratic republic of congo

Your opinion is wrong

I just wish that they'd sit down and go "We're not going to make a lot of money on this, but it will get us a big market share in the enthusiast market" Just like they did with the ToyoBaru. Then, make a small, light weight, RWD 2+2 roadster, (offer it as a coupe?) with a honking big engine for maybe 15-20k. Drop the "Luxury internal" bullshit, just have AC, a double Din radio,and very little else.
Basically remake the old school pony car that the mustang bloated it's way out of. If you can make a mitsubishi shitpile for $15kUS then you can make this.

Saw the mazda section at the L.A auto show and their was alot of people crowding their. They really love them CX SUVs, mazdas been makinga killing on them.

Also say the RX vision mazda 6 prototype. Was gorgeous.

Mazda is on the up and up

The problem is the enthusiast market in terms of people who can actually afford to buy a new car is nonexistent in the grand scheme of things. It's good enough for Mazda to sell 10k Miatas a Year and slightly less BRZs and 86s. Toyota's SFR concept is close to what you're describing besides the back seats, the big thing there was an MSRP of $12K which would of been a huge deal. Maybe then some younger people maybe could of got some financing but it wasn't to be. Safety regulations has pushed car price and weight way up recently, the main one being side-curtain airbags which killed the Viper. For 2018 USDM all cars must have a backup camera which means infotainment of some kind becomes standard so that screen isn't just black 99% of the time.

The market for cheap sports cars barely exists because the people who both want them and can afford them is so small of a group, and for an automaker is isn't worth their time or the monetary investment into R&D and manufacturing. It sucks but I don't see the economy getting any better, Scion kicking the bucket was kind of the last straw for automakers to care at all about the under 30 crowd.

The 2033 Miata will be the last car ever sold with a manual transmission.

How does this make you feel?

It'll be a hybrid crossover way before you have to worry about the manual not being available.

I feel like someone is going to design a DCT gear box and equip it with an electronic shifter that looks like a manual, but it doesn't actually matter what gate you throw it in. Up is up, and down is down regardless of position. Basically just a sequential shifter masquerading as a real manual.
Just to let people feel like they're still driving a manual when they want.

I don't think it's as bad as you're painting it.
Sone cars have the back-up monitor built into the rearview mirror so ghat's not an issue. It just looks like a mirror until the screen comes on.

Scion was axed because it was pointless. It was supposed to be a fun and exciting marque that would allow Toyota to be a little more daring without risking their safe and boring image. And what did they sell the most of? The tA. The most vanilla econo-shit-box ever. So of course they canned it.

Also the economy is doing pretty damn good at the moment, in the States at least.

But yeah there is a problem in that enthusiasts would rather go online and bitch and moan and benchrace and never actually buy a sports car unless it's 20 years old.

1-Rotor hybrids soon...

That already exists just in the form of the paddle shifters.

The point is clutches are going away on cars, probably sooner than we think, since they don’t mix well with hybrids, are totally unnecessary on electrics, get worse mileage than automatics, and don’t shift as fast as dct’s. The only cars that will retain them will be for enthusiasts of that way of driving, which is what makes me think the Miata will be the last car to maintain one (they’ll be able to afford the worse mileage by just making the car lighter and lighter).

I do fall into the trap of being overly pessimistic I'll admit. I do think the closest you can get to a no nonsense interior setup these days is Mazda besides the screen. They need to find another supplier for one that doesn't look tacked on with a huge bezel but other than that they look good. Truth be told I'd be totally lost without a Nav system outside of town and I'd be plastering my phone to the dash without one, I do appreciate a clean looking design though.

The economy is doing ok at the moment and while my situation isn't representative I feel like most people in my age group (early to late 20s) either don't have any money whatsoever as far as a new car is concerned or simply don't have any real interest in them, and because this was the target demo for affordable sports cars I don't see the market getting that much bigger for this class of vehicles. I guess the Camaro can be included in this category and I'm seeing quite a few of the new 2018 models around but they all look fairly optioned out and almost exclusively driven by Gen X types. I hope I'm wrong and we got some 80s style sports car renaissance soon and I'm not broke forever.

The 3rd gen MR2 ZZW30 had an SMT (Semi Manual) option. Had buttons on the steering wheel or you could use it like a sequential with the stick, car would default to 1st gear at a full stop. Quite a few cars do the same thing with the auto stick being tilted to a manual mode. I think the Type R and Veloster N's auto-rev matching would qualify as a sudo-automated manual in that respect, though you can turn it off and that won't stop you from fucking up the car.

Auto rev marching is pretty much standard on all new manuals, no?

What the fuck.

It's a relatively new feature on the Civic Type R and the upcoming Veloster N, those are the only 2 cars I've heard of having auto-rev.

why am i being ignored, I just want to know why the disposal of lithium is being ignored

No.

Why not just use paddles at that point?

Apparently they tested it a magnitude more times than their already rigorous testing. But still not an untrue sratement.

Why not both?

The 350z and 370z have it.

They recycle it. That guy said they don't but you're not supposed to throw li-ion batteries in the trash and Ace Hardware among other places will take any li-ion battery for recycling, so yes they do.