What's wrong with 3 cylinders?

What's wrong with 3 cylinders?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f1WDZ-49BRQ
barringtondieselclub.co.za/detroit/3-53-detroit-diesel.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

An inline 4 is emasculating enough. If you "need" the fuel efficiency that a 3banger offers you should just take the bus or stop being european.

Detroit 3 cyls are acceptable.

Nothing.

detroit makes 3 cyls?

*made Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=f1WDZ-49BRQ

This.

>What's wrong with 3 cylinders?

everything....unless the crankshaft rotates backwards

The only time a three cylinder is acceptable is on a motorbike

Is a 3 cylinder balanced ?

No. It needs a balance shaft.

>0-60 in 20 seconds

why

BUT MUH TORKS

How much torque does it even have?

Because 100 naturally aspirated ponies from a 800lb engine. It'll still be making those 100 ponies 50 years from now.

205 ft/lbs NA or 312 with a turbo.

Huh. Thats not bad for 3 cylinder. @ what RPM though?

Enough to hit like 15MPH in a flash in 1st gear.

barringtondieselclub.co.za/detroit/3-53-detroit-diesel.html found the specs

nothin much
they do rock back and forth along their length tho
but most engine mounts just take that tilting motion and convert it to a sort of shuffling horizontal motion

What's the point? It's like the 5 cylinder of of bike engines. Just use a V-Twin or a inline 4.

>What's wrong with 3 cylinders?

NVH, firing pattern and balancing

Basically you can make an 4-cycle inline shorter than an I4 without it being something outright silly like an I2.

I was answering OP's question, I don't hate 3 cylinder motors but I was addressing OP's asking why they aren't as prevalent as you'd think they would.

Agreed

pic related is slower around racetracks than cadillac sedans. it has 3 cylinders.

The Geo Metro and its rebadges came in 3 cylinders

Idk the type of people who buy these but I least see one in the ghetto when I go to the Taco Bell I frequent. Next to some business and a sherwin Williams paint store. I don’t fucking get it.

It's missing 5 cylinders.

I'm taking the L....

>the type of people who buy these
I believe the word you're looking for starts with a n.

They can be had used for $60k and look like a Lamborghini.

i3 i5 and i6 master race

t. v8 fag

>What's the point
A better alround power curve.

The New FiST is coming with a 200hp I3

>that webpage design

1.5l so it's got more cc/cyl than the 1.6 4 banger. Same power output in a bigger car though so even if its headline figures match the outgoing FiST we'll see if it manages to be as nimble.

uhh sweeties

nothing if there is 3 more of them

bigger bore ?
I would be interested to know if the have reduced friction from the piston rings and main bearings
iirc its one of the reasons to reduce cylinder count
aside from valve train mass and springs

so why not have 250hp from a 400lb engine that will be making 210hp in 50 years?

Or a v4 and get better everything

They are very commonplace in the euro A segment tin cans, think 107/up!/aygo/c1. The basic bitch model has a .9L i3. Those cars are sold quite alot in yuropistan

Anything less than 12 is for poorfags

What is wrong with 3 cylinder engines is that people have sports pretentions for them. 3 cylinder engines are not for sports, they are for city cars. Small city cars for crowded european cities.

3 cyl petrol engines are ideal for small city cars, and are especially popular in delivery cars. Factor in that you got a small car with a small engine, you can get reasonably fast anywhere, since you can slalom in trafic, find parking space with ease and the fuel consumption is really low.

Nowadays you get turbocharged 3 cyl engines which make the same power as the older NA 4 cyl engines, but at the expense of reliability.

Oh, and the 1.5 litre 3 cyl engine in the base 3 series is literally one bank from the 3.0 V6.

Take the 3 cyl for what it is: a small engine for a small, cheap to buy and cheap to run city car.

>one bank from the 3.0 v6
>v6
>current bmw
>v6
You okay there buddy?
Tbh I'd love to see the k1600's 1.65L i6 in a 1 or 2 series

>since you can slalom in trafic, find parking space with ease
that has literally nothing to do with the engine tho. My N/A 4 cyl meme mobile has shorter turning circle, is more compact than the 3 cyl turd I have standing around here.

BMW never had v6
always i6

To fuck with that shit

>Basing masculinity on the number of cylinders on your motor chariot
Is this autism?

Why is it good on a motorcycle but shit on a car?

Because you don't need a big engine on a bike to go fast.

t. I don't know what torque is

so the new fist is shit?

If you listen to the retards in this thread, yep. Think I'd sooner wait for more legitimate reviews though, and not some random user's idea on what makes an engine smooth.

t. can't have a V8

yeah i don't know about that mate
the 1.2 L in the twingo never made more than 75 hp
and the 0.9L turbo base on that block is making 110 hp

They're very common on industrial equipment and certain small engine needs in agricultural equipment.

Nothing, just make sure to get two or four sets of them.

I just can't understand why you'd downsize from a 4 to a 3 and STILL ADD CYLINDER DEACTIVATION.

People in small cars fucking fustrate the shit out of me
>driving behind small car at speed limit
>road starts to incline upwards by 1 degree
>small car slows down to a crawl because LOLNOPOWER
And I still get nice mileage out of my 3.0 I6 because it doesn't need to be ragged to shit to get it going.

>the 1.2 L in the twingo never made more than 75 hp
100hp with a turbo in the GT, and even 125hp in the Duster

THREE CYLINDERS!?

REEEEEEEE NOBODY NEEDS ALL THAT

what please?

I'm sure it'll be good to drive but they fucked the styling. The Mk7 looks really good, the Mk8 looks shite

Sweet corsa, I heard that 1.0 turbo from opel is best in its class. Whats the MPG on it?

Go ride a late model fz/mt/fj-09, you'll figure it out pretty quick

Because 65 lbft of torque and 104 hp will tear your fucking arms off on a 400lb motorcycle.
But if you hextuple the weight to 2400lbs the powere to weight ratio, and therefore performance, tanks.

I don't know what "class" you mean, but iirc it get's around 5.3l /100km
I never really payed attention to how much it actually takes.

He probably meant the Euro B segment
>corsa better than polo
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

belong in bikes, not cars, otherwise you're a faggot

it is. it doesn't rattle, has an easier accessable trunk and the better engines. Also the chassis is way better.
>and doesn't look like trash

of course it'll be running in 50 years from now, nobody will have bought it so it didn't run

Literally nothing wrong with it.

>less power than a Toyota Aygo
>still manages to get worse mileage
What did they mean by this?

Nothing, clearly.

>Aygo: 70hp
>Up TSi 110

Nigga what?

>emasculating
What a faggot you are, user.
They vibrate a lot, and that's it. That's their only problem. Downsizing engines is the way to go.
It's pointless to argue this here though. This board is full of americans who know jackshit about cars.

I honestly don't know why you would want an engine smaller or less powerful than a civic engine.

I mean yeah, you can have a barely smaller or more efficient car but they're already really small and lightweight enough while actually retaining some semblance of performance.

>implying civics don't get absolutely BTFO by 1.0L turbo engines like the has

They can be made to work fine if not as inherently balanced as engines with higher cylinder counts.

They power the shitboxes of today as 4 cylinder engines have done in the past. In the future, we will look at some of them and think they've got character, as we do with the Twingo and some others now. They will be the last cars without too much multi-media and driving aid electronics on board for being the lowest-cost vehicles on the market today. The most modern of pre-nucars. Some years in the future someone will boost one to >1000 horsepower and laugh the laugh of a maniac as he passes self-driving electric nucars on the highway and drag strip alike. One day they'll be classics and people will cling to these last vestiges of man-controlled manual shitbox glory.

But today they're just godawful shitboxes that can be absolutely hilarious to drive.

The problem with actual 3 cylinder engines made today is that despite their small displacement, they redline somewhere below 6000 RPM like 1960's boat anchor V8s except without the torque and style. The short stroke and tiny bores should theoretically give them low reciprocating mass and allow them to rev to 8000+ cleanly and make some decent power. But they don't. That is the true problem. It shouldn't even take much. Port the heads, install better valves and have a camshaft made with a little more lift and duration. You may have to disable VVT. Valvesprings aren't expensive and porting a head anyone can do so really the only cost is in the cam and corresponding tune until you start making power levels that exceed the fuel system capacity. Even then, injectors (only 3 lol) and fuel pump aren't very costly either. If it's a DI engine, you don't even need to do much other than modifying the fuel pump lobe on the cam you were going to have made anyway.

the UP! has 4 engine options, a 59BHP, 74BHP, a 90/95BHP depending on the day, and the GTI 115BHP
and all manage around 60MPG, but are significantly more fun to drive than an aygo, so any loss in fuel economy is worth it.

>and all manage around 60MPG, but are significantly more fun to drive than an aygo, so any loss in fuel economy is worth it.
0.003 EUR have been deposited into your account, Fritz.

VAG's EA211 3 pot loves to rev like crazy, and the NA versions have almost no torque, so you have red line them everywhere, and the lack of torque and power makes for an engaging drive as you have to cycle through the gears like mad.
you can even dump the clutch at 5k and still get no wheelspin.

>t. 3cyl interbutt defense force
If you need high power or revs you can just choose a design better suited for it.

>dressing like a powerranger just to pick up milk for mom

its cool for smoll economy cars but anything else just get a 4cyl or more

I meant NA to NA

>being so insecure that you miss out on having more fun than anyone else picking up anything at the grocery store

highest power NA is 74BHP, it's a nice little motor, i've got one in my seat Mii, it's pokey, and better than the shitty 1.2 8v 4 pot FCA uses.

t. Z28 and Twongi owner, actually.

3 cylinder engines are crappy for the reasons I gave you but can be fixed and 3 cylinder engined cars are going to be the shitbox you'll love 10-20 years from now. Deal with it.

It's not about being well suited. It's about the cool kind of crazy of modding a complete shitbox to be absolutely hilarious.

If you don't like twingos and similar fun little shitboxes you may as well just admit you are the homosex right now. Drove a loaner 3 cylinder Ibiza a few times and it's a fun kind of bad.

and his point was 3 cylinder turbo against 4 cylinder NA

I'm down with shitbox fun. I'd love to have some mad cunt in a hopped up Twingo own my street.

I'm just saying a 3cyl has its place, and its place is not to be in every car that now has to be a government-mandated EV cuckmobile, except for the upscale trim BMW version that come with a second exhaust pipe that is actually just a loudspeaker to hide the fact that it's an I3.

it's not even a proper BMW 3 pot, as it's meant for the mini.

It doesn't look like a BMW either. It's obviously the upscale trim of some abomination that carries the BMW brand to collect more shekels.

If hp/liter is important then why Honda didn't make a fit with a cbr600 engine.

3 cylinders are bad because they have massive gaps in times where they make zero power

When one cylinder is going down, another is coming up and another is somewhere in between, the car is not producing power. This is why people use 4 cylinders and people claim that 6 cylinder cars are far smoother.

Those fucking big triple street bikes so fucking fun holly shit and the noise is pure sex

wow a reasonable post

>He doesn't have a big triple bike

>not 8 in a line

Cast iron blocks and a straight pipe sounds amazing.