Veeky Forums problems

>be me
>proud owner of 1992 stang' convertible, manual
>restored it myself, repainted it from dirt-covered white to navy blue with white racing stripes
>redid interior
>at work (small family-owned furniture store), drop 100lb vise assembly on left foot
>shatter foot
>some broken toe bones erupt through the skin
>major artery severed by broken bones
>undergo complex foot surgery with some titanium implants
>stuck in cast and crutches for the next 12 weeks until bones knit
>because of cast, can't drive trophy stang'
>stuck driving the world's shittiest Chevy Cruze rental until cast comes off
>model year 2015 but has major electrical problems
>climate controls bricked after 1 week
>still have occasional complications with blood clots because of broken foot
>stang' gathering dust under a nylon tarp

I want to drive the rental off the nearest overpass and end it all. In the meantime, post shitty car situations you're in right now so we can commiserate together.

Not the shittiest scenario, but
>decide to buy first car at 19
>find a Z32 2+2 in good condition within price range
>check it out, fall in love
>just needs battery, tires, and all the brake components (and a head unit)
>buy it and do it all happily
>practically baby the car, wash it every week, change every fluid, take her for long sunset and night drives
>about 18 months later, driving home from uni on the highway
>disco lights
>reckless driving (105 mph in a 70), and some other unrelated tickets
>sad face, guess I'll lawyer up
>one month later, coming home for thanksgiving
>transmission blows up on freeway
>would require full rebuild
>decided to just save and swap in a manual trans

Poor thing's been in the driveway under a cover for 3 months and it pains me every time I see it. Going to court for the tickets in about 2 weeks time. Wish me luck, lads.

>go to replace window regulator for the first time ever
>inner door is made of fiberglass

Wtf is wrong with your dick?

>Fall for 3k civic meme (was actually 1.3k)
>EJ6 hatch
>Use it as a "beater" to deliver pizza in
>Everything going well for a month, start to like the car more and more
>Slave cylinder goes out, clutch burns soon after
>Take scotty's advice and try to replace clutch myself
>Turns out clutch jobs are a bit difficult, especially on FWD cars
>Car sits on jack stands for 2 months
>Buy 1987 CRX off friend for $150
>Bad shape, but runs
>End up giving to another friend to put my EJ6 back together
>Cave and take it to a dealership to get clutch replaced
>Turns out the radiator is cracked
>Turns out my ball joints are bad
>Turns out my oil pump is leaking
>Fix everything but oil pump
>Spend more than what I did on the car to get it running again
>Start doing body work
>Cutting out rust and trying to bondo the holes
>Turns out this is very frustrating
>Daily drive is 2004 Mazda 6 wagon
>Fuel pump is going out causing uncomfortable jerks and poor acceleration
>Also bad bushings causing nasty squeaks
>Will now be forced to drive my half sanded, primed, buttered EJ6 as a daily

I can only hope for a return to normalcy
Pic related

>Fall for 3k civic meme (was actually 1.3k)
a 1.3k civic isnt a 3k civic.
you bought a pile of shit.
A 3k civic would've lasted you 2-4 years easily

>turning wrenches under car
>ask gf to hand me flashlight through the top of the engine bay
>she grabs the alternator as she does this and her ring taps the un-booted ground
>car no longer starts

>get in a bad wreck at 16
>my beloved truck is totalled
>fight with parents over what car i get next
>ive been working on cars since i was 12, i know my way around the engine bay
>i want a car i love, i dont care about its mechanical condition
>parents want me to buy new because "MUH RELIABILITY"
>they trick me into a $10,000 jeep that i despise
>thing is a pile of shit. Had a flat tire and almost lost my job because i was 4 hours late to work. Tire blew in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal and the tire winch was broken
>convince them to let me trade it for a car i want
>its a run down old parts car the dealership was going to use to fix up anothee car they had
>dirt cheap
>whine and bitch to my parents enough that they let me buy it
>their plan was for it to break down so they can say "i told you so"
>engines making weird noises, interior is wore out, front suspension is bad, dented fender, body is in rough shape
>still have it. Take care of it as if it were my child
>engines old and wore out. I cant reverse the damages previous owner has done from years of abuse
>i will revive her. Put a bigger and better engine in her, make it the best god damn shitbox this side of the equator
>im broke
>im relying on the pity of the junkyard owners and my income tax return to get a new engine.
>meanwhile the V6 grows weaker and weaker with every turn of the key
>mfw she barely started today.

>drop vise assembly on foot

Your fault for not having it bolted to your workbench.

first car owner here. 1964 chevy biscayne 4door aka sedan. I stay awake even later at night thinking of how deep the rust goes into the thick tank of a body my car has. When the day will come to repaint it to stock color.... shudder.

5 speed EJ hatches are far and few
I jumped on it immediately

F

>be europoor
>buy my first car, right after I got my license
>SAAB 9000
>2 months ago the engine started dying when I tried to shift
>as soon as I push the clutch pedal in, the engine dies
>car has now been sitting since then
>I'm 18, I don't have any money and I'm still in school
I'm fucked, I don't know what to do. I can't fix it myself and I don't have the money to leave it to a mechanic. I've loved cars since i was 3 years old but I never figured this would be what it was like.

God, if this isn't me. That old Modular V8 barely coughs to life for me every morning...

>not wearing gloves while working

>tfw my 4.6 is going on twenty years old and so far as I know after 20 years and 150k miles, is still on the original timing chains... and plastic guides
>originally planned on just swapping the shitty plastic intake as a preventative measure come spring but eventually realize one thing will lead to another and I'm gonna end up balls-deep taking off everything probably down to the block
>while in the car because I have no engine hoist and don't even have enough hard, flat ground to use one

Since this thread keeps dying, ill post another

>13 year old me
>grandfather dies
>nobody to work on cars with anymore. And just as i was starting to learn and grow more intrested
>decide its time for me to get a project car, the goal was to have it done by the time i have my lisence
>brother is moving to an apartment and they wont let him have his old Camaro
>offer to buy it off of him
>he agrees and for $300 the car is mine
>shortly after the funeral have it towed to my house, put in the front yard and start drawing up plans for its resurection
>spend 5 years working on it. Everytime i pull a panel off it reveals 10 more problems that need to be addressed
>the day finally comes to pull the 500,000 mile 2.8 liter V6 so that i can start getting the 7.4 liter V8 fitted in the engine bay
>get everything unbolted, do everything right, pull wiring harness, triple checked to make sure mounts are disconnected and nothing is tethering the engine the car
>wont budge
>something seems to be catching the transmission
>give the cherry picker a good hard yank
>trans crossmember rips straight out of the floor board and disintegrates on the ground
>WHAT THE FUCK
>grab a flashlight and go back under the car to investigate
>rust. Everywhere. The floor board looks like swiss cheese, i grab the frame and move it and it shimmies in its mount. I press my thumb agaist the floorboard it goes right through without any effort
>cars fucked.
>call up every frame and restoration shop in the county, none of them will even consider it, one place says theyll do it but its going to cost several thousand dollars
>i dont have the equipment to do it myself
>have no choice but to scrap the car and try to scrape together the money for a new one

Its been 4 months. The rotting carcass sits next to my garage as a monument to my failures.

He's right you know

>fall in love with driving last summer
>fall in love with my shit froghatch (pic related)
>get into uni with a sick degree
>its over in england (im in northern ireland)
>cant bring car with me for a few reasons
>f-feels g-good man...

I only get to drive my car when i go back home. On the plus side it makes me appreciate my car more, driving around an icy tescos car park before coming back to bongland was pretty cool.

And not wearing steel toes when you have a possibility of dropping some heavy fuckin shit on your feet

>Purchase B8 Audi S4.
>Great car to commute in
>Great car to have fun in
>Great car for snow
>I bought some Mercedes Alphard wheels for a little OEM flash.
>Tires I want are around $800
>Had all the money I needed to buy tires
>Purchased Corgi puppy instead because my wife and I had been talking about one for a really long time
>He's cute, but I'm tired of OEM wheels and snow tires considering spring is around the corner.
>Guess I'll just have to wait.

He's cute tho.

98 Mustang GT
>She isn't pretty but she's mine
>engine starts knocking
>Start taking things apart around the engine (thought maybe timing chain) but can't seem to find anything even with a stethescope
>Pull the motor & trans, also removed driveshaft exhaust etc.
>Get motor & trans in garage, get them unbolted
>Holy shit, the flexplate is loose
>Like, really loose
>Literally unbolted it by hand
>Engine wasn't knocking, it was the flexplate rattling like fuck
>It's the 10.5" flexplate, 99% of all Mustangs have the 11.5
>have to order new plate & torque converter since it's almost impossible finding a 10.5" plate
>since I'm waiting on parts might as well replace the heater core since it's been out for months
>My car is a shell, no engine no transmission no driveshaft no exhaust no seats no interior panels (besides the rear seats) no dash no HVAC

I've pulled motors before and done transmission swaps but I've never had a car THIS apart before. Parents didn't want any cars in the garage, but almost this entire fucking car is in the garage in little pieces

Pic related, what it looked like before I pulled the HVAC box

Can't imagine how you wouldn't have noticed the rust after going through the car so thoroughly.
A non-fatally rusted turd-gen body wouldn't be the hardest thing to find for a few hundred bucks though, just buy one and swap everything over, and then scrap the old body.

I didnt notice because i never went under the car for anything. My plan was to get a V8 and put it in all along so i didnt mess with anything under it until i needed to. I considered getting another turd-gen at first but then i found a place that has been hording old american muscle cars since the early sixties so i want to try getting something older from there instead

>last October
>need wheels fast to escape a bad situation
>end up at a stealership
>end up leasing out a 4th gen Legacy GT after falling in love with it during the test drive
>turbo blows after three months on christmas eve and end up limping the car into a ditch
>go buy an OEM one and get it replaced at a shop
>they didn't check the filter screens in the oil line
>second one blows within the day
>now out of a car for the last two months and ride the bus
>considering either spending $125 at the scoobie dealership and gambling on whether they'll warranty the part out or just ripping it out myself and dropping it off at a turbo shop to get it rebuilt

I ended up lucking out a little and finding a 93 Civic that's been maintained somewhat for a grand. It'll give me transport and I wanted to learn how to wrench more than just a tune up anyway.

Damn, that is a cute dog man.

Shitty situation.
Always be sure to inspect any car before you buy it. Regardless of who you buy it from.

Yeah ive learned my lesson. Now im autistic and paranoid about the underbody of every car i buy. In my defence though, i was 13 and just learning the basics of classic car ownership and it didnt occur to me to check the underbody

Yea that reason (happened on my first buy) is why I always bring a checklist with me. I don't care how silly I look, I care about what I spend my cash on now.

kek, are you sure you aren't me, user?
similar story:
>be me when I was 17
>need a car
>buy $350 z31
>parents told me not to get an old car because things will break
>literally nothing electronic works
>mfw nothing can possibly break more unless it's a catastrophic failure
>tfw catastrophic failure
>automatic trans blows on the highway week 3 of owning it
>push it home
>decide to manual swap it
>take out engine and trans together cause it's 9000% easier that way
>completely remove interior so I can get rid of HVAC, heater core, and other useless features just adding weight
>parents like a clean garage
>car is literally spread out all over the entirety of the garage

living with me under their roof must have been a nightmare

>Turns out clutch jobs are a bit difficult, especially on FWD cars

you are a fucking liar dog.

FWD is probably the easiest MFin trans to remove, especially a tiny ass civic trans

when i serviced the transmission on my integra GSR i literally with one arm in the engine bay lifted the trans from under the car onto the engine

same thing with my 180lbs SRT4 trans

Doesn't make you look silly, it makes you look like you know what you're doing.
Bring a checklist, a flashlight, and a pen. take notes on ransom stuff.
Then if you decide you want it, lowball the fuck out of the price. You'll seem like you know what you're going and get a great deal

Civic clutch jobs are usually really easy. The hardest part is getting the transmission lined back up right so it'll spline together correctly. Kind of hard by yourself unless you're strong enough to bench the trans up, but it shouldn't have been too difficult with a friend helping.

Also you probably got fucked by the dealership for the radiator/ball joints/oil pump. No, you definitely got fucked on those.

So how far along in the clutch job did you get into? What was giving you difficulty?

Feels good reading the consequences of you being retarded for ignoring basic safety practises

Yeah. He's a hand full sometimes tho. Glad we got home tho. I can wait on some tires.

I'm thinking of Continental ExtremeContacts DWS 06 tires for all season performance on the Audi.

Arm amputated at elbow

I got my JDM EK for $2800 US. 5 speed hatch with a full service history and the receipt from the dealer.

You bought a piece of shit.

>Be 17
>get sick
>unable to drive, go to school, or enjoy life because too sick
>don't get better

And now I'm 20.

I'm probably going to do a manual swap too. Doesn't seem too hard in this car, and I can get all the parts from the junkyard for around 400. I'll probably buy the trans off facebook or craigslist and get everything else from the yard.

Managed to get the dash out of the garage and back into the car today, so maybe that'll buy me some more time in their house...

Silly goose, just don't be sick

good luck my man

Sounds like your parents were right.

Cars can't be fixed on pure willpower alone. It takes money.

>16, first car 1966 Plymouth fury
>30 minutes outside of Parsons Kansas (a 4 hour drive from where I lived) crack the block because overheated
>spend next two years rebuilding entire car all by myself.
>completely rebuild powertrain, drop bigger engine in because muh freedom
>finally finish my end, need exhaust take it to shop
>shop builds exhaust, notifies me of a problem with my brakes
>now live in an apartment complex, no room to work on it
>Take it to brake shop, haven't heard from them in a month
>justwantmycar.wav
Bonus: lost the title, haven't seen it in years, previous owner is in jail somewhere. I'm almost 19 now and own a truck as well so not completely fucked but god Dammit I want my car.

>be me
>see chopper movie in december 2016
>learn how to ride on a friends kz650
>i need it
>pay $1,850 for a clapped out bobber (pic related)
>de rust gas tank, clean carbs
>ignition craps out
>end up with a $200 parts bike i got running on starter fluid
>transplant ignition
>starter goes out leaving me stranded
>replace with part bike starter
>try to sell
>currently asking $1200
>around 3k deep into it

fuck man id be happy if i got a grand out of that thing. kill me now

the general rule of thumb is to not pay even half as much as what you paid for the vehicle initially in repairs

i understand you probably like it a lot though (when working)

i mean it aint bad when it runs (which it runs pretty well right now, avoiding riding to minimis potential breakage) but im not married to it. i was 19 with the itch. On the drive home with it in the pickup, it took about 5 minutes for me to regret the purchase, at least at the price i paid.

i should add im about 3k in including the initial purchase

why weren't you wearing steel toed boots?

That doesn't sound bad at all.
And now that it's sorted why are you trying to sell it?
Your life will always suck if you buy clapped out shit boxes, fix them up then sell them, mad that they broke.

>Suzuki
>80s suzuki

Didn't /dbt/ try to warn you about this and tell you to buy a ninja 250 instead?

i have dreams of a harley chopper. ive been saving up, got a raise, and a tax return so as soon as i sell this bike im buying a big twin harley. ive been doing lots of research on them. from now on i will only buy a matching numbers low mile (but not too low where it has been neglected, like mine with 3,800 miles, on of the reason i bought it. low miles = good right?) with original paint, and very light modifications, like a carburetor or exhaust. i have a checklist for inspection including all known issues of the years im interested in. this will be a pretty big purchase for me, so i want to make it count. i bought that suzuki basically on a whim when i was 19. im still dumb, but now im dumb and informed on what i want to buy next so i dont fuck myself over again.

not really my style. like i said im into choppers and i learned on a UJM, this one just happened to be close by and the CL ad looked good. not the smartest purchase ever made by any stretch. i should have saved a little more and bought a sportster, but ya know, hindsight and all that

I think this is as shitty as it gets.
>get 70k 2016 GMC Yukon Denali XL for wife
>take car to valvoline for oil change to save some cash
>wrong filter
>kills engine
>warranty doesn't cover damage
>sue valvoline for over a year
>still not paying up
>wife bitches that shes driving my avalanche incessantly and bitches if i dont get daily updates from lawyer
>still making payments like a good cuck because im terrified of hurting perfect credit score
if i could change one thing i would have just gone to the damn dealer for the oil change

Imo if you're waiting on the $1k you'll get for selling your bike you might just want to save that extra $1k now and keep your bike until you get your new one.
But you do you dood.

no i have more than enough cash to buy the bike outright today, just my parents would be even farther up my ass if i brought another full bike home. i already take up space being 20 and living at home with a truck and a bike. im not trying to poke the beehive.

>Giving up because of a little free weight reduction
Do you have another car you can drive? If not, quit being such a pussy. Slam in the engine, get some jumper cables and nig weld it, use 2x4's and cable ties to reinforce the frame, kick out the floorboards and fred flinstone it for some extra horsepower. It's already fucked, if you can unfuck it enough to drive it at least you can drive it instead of riding the bus for another 5 years.

I'm a NEET and I take the garage, the driveway, and the street with my neet mobiles.
:-)

i would street park another car, but i live near a school so you cant park between 7a and 3p, or overnight without authorization. another reason im into bikes, you can just put them anywhere, the widest point (handlebars) is 28" and its not that long either.

ouch

That's the problem user

it probably a vacuum leak somewhere or something with fuel delivery. get to work on the googles, my dude.

>I didnt notice because i never went under the car for anything
no shit. you ripped out the trans crossmember. did you not have to jack it up to disconnect the exhaust from the headers? or did you disconnect the manifolds from the motor and leave the collectors bolted up?

you can apply for a title in vermont if your car is older than 15 years and the vin is clean even if youre out of state.

You have to have proof that the car wasn't stolen.

i think you can have a vin verification done and a notary does something i forget. ou might not even have to use vermont. maybe just apply for a new title. im not sure how that paperwork works in other states though

i took a powersaw and cut the exhaust off right behind the manifold

VT is just the easiest.

>decide to fabricate my own exhaust for my track car in my garage
>cars been sitting for months because I was too stupid to think that this is not a 1 person job and I need more than 2 hands to do it right
>none of my friends are car people or available, so they're whiny soy boys who dont want to help
Luckily a co-worker has offered to help me and we've made progress and I'm literally just 4 cuts and a few welds short of a new exhaust that I hope to god sounds better than what I'm replacing or I'm going to kill myself because it's taking me 200 dollars and 3 months to make a ~3 foot exhaust