Redpill me on i4's

What is the problem with them? Why does Veeky Forums hate them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8fVIX4SRZ5Q
youtu.be/yc_DIuk_-2c
youtube.com/watch?v=Rr0oANzTJcE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Veeky Forums hates everything.

I4s are great as long as they're not trying to haul around too much weight. I'd argue that, for a sportier car, a flat 4 is better because it's inherently more balanced (can rev higher) and it will drop the COG a bit (car corners better)

Because they sound boring and are usually found in cheap economic commuter cuckboxes. Some awesome cars like the S2000 do use I4s and I don't think Veeky Forums hates them.

I'd bet more than half the users here, that actually have cars; have i4's.
Obviously depending on the engine, but the few that are good, can make well over 400hp with just bolt ons, and that's quite good for a 2L

inherent balance doesn't mean an engine can rev higher, see V10s

because they are fags.
I4 is a great engine. Weighs nothing, good ones reach 1hp per litre and can easily output twice the horsepower per the engines weight.
They keep the weight down which is the most important thing if you want your car to do anything well.
Not to mention some i4's can shit out 500,600,700,800,900 and 1000 hp

>good ones reach 1hp per litre

Yeah that’s not true

The S2000 had the highest revving production engine until the 458 came out

Nothing wrong with them imo, it's the most cylinders I have per vehicle anyway. More cylinders sound better, ofcourse, but aside from that it's more about boasting than anything. Would love a V8 whatever, because I LIVE, I DIE, I LIVE AGAIN

>audi
poorfag kek

It's not the only factor but it does absolutely contribute.

When tuned for reliability they're gutless.
When tuned for performance they have narrow power bands.

because 8>4 and more is better because more is more

I have two v8s but feel like such a cuck because there are 12 cylinder engines out there.
16 and 18 cyl dont count because they're unicorns

Some 4 cylinders are pretty cool desu
youtube.com/watch?v=8fVIX4SRZ5Q

>Flat 4 revving

Uh no.

>Lower center of gravity

Pretty much a myth. Unless you have a dry sump oiling system, your engine's cog is going to be high.

They're fun to tinker with. Parts are very cheap and usually easier to install than on most V engines. You can still get massive power from an I4, but you'll end up paying for it. Some people can get 1,000HP out of Civic motors, but that's after forged internals, sleeved cylinders, aftermarket crank etc. And it's also a lot more fun getting power out of an engine barely making any than getting more power out of a V6 or V8 that was already making decent power.

Retard alert.

They don't exactly sit low. Because you have an oil pan underneath. There's also more to a car than the engine's cog. Such as suspension, Subarus engines take up so much room they can only have MacPherson struts. Or intercooler placement, Subaru has to put it on top of the engine.

>Subaru has to put it on top of the engine.
>Because packaging

That explains the prevalence of FMIC kits for subarus.

More like it reduces the amount of plumbing and thus decreases lag. Though at this point it's probably as much a 'because muh tradition' thing than anything else.

>You have to modify your car to make it good

>gets proven wrong
>moves goalposts

Typical shill

There's nothing inherently wrong with I4 setups.
It's the fact that little boys think their little I4 shitbox is the shit because it revs high.
Meanwhile they hate on other configurations because they don't rev as high, or need to.

>I4
>1000 hp
No

because they sound like shit

They're almost the size of a V8 with 3x the displacement.

High revs usually equals no torque.

youtu.be/yc_DIuk_-2c
Are you done being a faggot? This isnt even a snowflake k20 build

Busrider

Just because there are big I4's doesnt mean they're all big, ie an LS will not fit into an mr2 but an h22 with a turbo and intercooler? No problem

Name a single flat 4 that revs to 16,500rpm and is production.

4bangers at that level are unusable for anything other than drag racing.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rr0oANzTJcE

>an LS will not fit into an mr2

The CoG does get lower, but it doesn't help with handling because the car still has normal width meaning the inertia moment is increased. You need a wide car to take advantage of flat engines. Inlines are better for normal width cars

Name a single production i4 that does that in a car. A flat 4 makes no sense on a bike due to packaging and you're either smart enough to know that, and therefore know that you've made a non-argument or you're terminally retarded (typical biker-fag)

What the fuck lmao