Saab 900

Anyone ever own, drive, or otherwise work with the Saab 900? First gen primarily, but second gen is also on the table. I'm thinking I very much want to get one. Other models of Saab are also an option, however, I'm not looking to get anything made after '98.

Any input is appreciated.

Bumping with cute Saab chicks

My dad owns a 96 saab 900 ng. Pretty comfy car and reasonable quick considering it has a autobox. The older saabs are a bit better built. Newer saabs share more parts with its GM countermodels(vauxhall cavelier I think).

Make sure the wires for the door speakers are there if you want to upghrade/put speakers there because there are models that don't have the wiring and it's a pain in the butt to get them there as the door uses a plug/connector for all the wires.

Make sure they are clear of rust as it could be present on the usual spots. Keep the door and hatch rubbers clean as they carry debris with rain water and can make hotspots of dirt that attract moist. Enginges and drivetrain are pretty bulletproof. 2,3 turbo is the endgame option. If you can, GET THAT ONE.

Overal relaible car that is somewhat quirky. But remember, if you buy a saab once, you can only own saab for the rest of your life.

t. eurocuck

And excuse me for my grammar/spellling errors, I'm drunk right now.

Thanks eurobro, info is greatly appreciated.

I'll look into the 2.3T, not sure if the models available in the area are turbo or not, but I know that they are all standard tranny

oh mein
god damn saabs were beautiful

>quirky
That's exactly how I describe mine.

Saab was too good for this world

I want to like saab, I really do.

But ever car they made was FWD and they all had a handbrake that went to the front wheels.

F

This, almost perfect but not quite

I don't think they were ever truly intended to be more than nifty, reliable entry level luxury cars. They weren't shooting for the stars in every direction, they just got what mattered right.

I will say though, AWD would have been very nice in nearly all of their models.

I have a 2007 Saab 9-3 automatic turbo. I like it. It's a very nice entry level luxury style car.

I do have one issue with my driver side door. Sometimes the window and the key fob button unlock don't unlock the driver side door, or sometimes i have an issue with the window to where I press up on my door panel, and then when the window reaches the top, the windows goes back down.

minor annoying, could be a wiring issue, or it could just be a part replacement.

I drove one for a couple of days. It was awful. The interior had a very strange vibe and odd low end materials.The suspension was hard and rough, but cornering was shit. It felt like 90% of the cars weight was in front of the steering wheel. You had to press the accelerator and wait 5 seconds for any real movement. This was my orientation into the world of turbo lag.

I have a 92 saab 900 turbo. I also have a 01 9-3 se. I also have a 95 9000.

So the og 900 is pretty rock solid, especially if not a turbo (but not as fun). If turbo try to find one of the later year models that had a mitsu turbo. The transmission pinion bearing will fail at some point if not replaced. It usually starts to hum before failing. When it fails it completely destroys the gearbox. Used bearboxes start at 2000 (they are unique to the car). It is a very fun car and unique car, if you don't mind changing a pinion bearing every 120 to 150k miles

for 900 from 94through 98.. eh i would go ahead and get a 99 9-3se. It has the b204, yet numerous upgrades. The 99-03 9-3s are better than the 2nd gen 900s if you aren't tuning to more than 350hp.

The 9000 is the best car saab ever made, however the 99 and 900 is the best saab saab ever made.

>nd they all had a handbrake that went to the front wheels.
I don't know what the fuck i'm talking about, the post. They stopped doing front emergency brakes in the mid or late 80s.

Bottom line. If you can find a Saab in your price range and everything looks good and you got the money pick it up. There is practically zero people that say driving a saab blows cock.

>hurr fwd bad

they handled amazingly for FWD

I miss mine. Bought a 900 Turbo at 16 for $600. Transmission died about 6 months later...sad day

they're just cars, user. if you like them, buy it. it'll cost money like all cars, it'll have good parts and bad parts. it's just a simple, cheap car. it's not a vintage ferrari or anything unusual. it's just a plain old car.

i have an '03 9-3 and i've enjoyed it these past 6 years ive owned it, its quirky, decent enough compromise between midrange power, comfort, maintenance costs and safety. i also paid 3900$ back in 2012 for it. parts are easy to get and cheap, it hasnt left me stranded ever, it's got a lot of good things about it as well as some bad (like interior plastics quality). i would imagine the older ones are the same, just a bit more worn down.

also the b234 is a great engine. good luck.

>I miss mine. Bought a 900 Turbo at 16 for $600. Transmission died about 6 months later...sad day

Buying a $600 dollar saab is worth replacing a transmission.

I was broke and 16.

The Vauxhall Cav is just a Chevy Cav yeah? They were some of the most reliable cars GM ever made.

I almost bought a 2003 9-3 Turbo as my second car for about $2700 but for some reason I didn't end up going with it. Not sure why, the little guy was solid all over, but I'm glad I didn't only because the Nissan Sentra I did get ended up totaled. In that sense, I saved the Saab.

>But remember, if you buy a saab once, you can only own saab for the rest of your life.
I don't know what I will do once my 9-3 dies.

How easy are they to wrench on? I know doing the fuel pump is retard easy but how about other things?